Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
on-demand gun rental delivery from randos

but gig economy armed goons sounds excellent too i bet larry ellison would cut that check today

that can be the uber black but for guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ate all the Oreos posted:

every single time they've come up in real life the consensus of the person i'm talking to is "wouldn't it be awesome if you could get drunk and have the car drive you home?"

like every time, even when it's with random strangers. guy at the car dealership was trying to make smalltalk while paperwork was getting filed when i was buying my car, brought up self-driving cars, i mentioned i'd heard about them whatever, he's like "yeah i can't fuckin' wait to be able to get smashed and still make it home!!"

I always say I want to sleep through long drives because well that's the dream

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah my stock small talk response is usually something like "i'd like to sleep on the way to work!"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the first fast & furious movie is literally "point break, but street racing" and it's just as fun as point break for the same reasons. paul walker even talks like keanu reeves in it.

i haven't seen the new ones.

stop after the one with the safe in rio

it has one of the best scenes of the whole franchise, which also sent cinema discusso into griping how bad that scene was (because they clearly missed the loving point)

they set out to go win some cars, and come back to the hideout with all the cars they won, without showing any of those actual races

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
"the wrong side of the tracks" originally had more to do with the soot and smoke associated with trains than the noise, since obviously you can hear the noise equally on both sides but most cities have prevailing winds that would blow the smoke predominantly in one direction :spergin:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
at this month's traffic engineering luncheon the topic was about the county development plan and how infill is being prioritized and where and by what criteria - basically where residential density needs to be improved to meet growth needs in this housing crisis and how infrastructure will need to be adapted to that. essentially a buncha stuff about encouraging urban walkable communities and how to do that to reduce traffic and improve QoL

anyway, during q & a some retard from fremont who drives past the tesla plant every day asked the speakers about the obsolescence of urban planning due to the "looming reality of the autonomous car"

like he just straightup called the field a bullshit outdated idea since commutes will no longer matter thanks to electric cars that you can do your workday in

people at my table groaned but i was smiling like a crazy person since i was sure one of the speakers had dealt w/ this horseshit before and sure enough he was promptly shut him down by flipping to previous slides about energy use and community creation and engagement - he clearly hadn't been listening to like half of the talk and even missed the clearly stated goals

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

"the wrong side of the tracks" originally had more to do with the soot and smoke associated with trains than the noise, since obviously you can hear the noise equally on both sides but most cities have prevailing winds that would blow the smoke predominantly in one direction :spergin:

see i've heard this one before but this was during a time when everyone burned coal in their homes so it seems a little apocryphal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Sure, but have you seen a steam train running full-bore? It looks like a volcano

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
seriously though, having just driven several hundred miles for the holidays, I'd take Amtrak if they had that car shuttle service here, like they do on the east coast.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Sure, but have you seen a steam train running full-bore? It looks like a volcano

yeah i rode the one at Dollywood (lol) and man do those things put out a ton of soot that immediately wafts right into your face

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blugu64 posted:

seriously though, having just driven several hundred miles for the holidays, I'd take Amtrak if they had that car shuttle service here, like they do on the east coast.

tbf even on the east coast they only have it on one single route between florida and DC and the cost to take your car is like $300 to $600 on top of the existing cost of the train ticket, otherwise yeah i'd be taking that fucker all the time just for funsies

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tbf even on the east coast they only have it on one single route between florida and DC and the cost to take your car is like $300 to $600 on top of the existing cost of the train ticket, otherwise yeah i'd be taking that fucker all the time just for funsies

idk if its off season rates or not but right now the seat is $95 and the car is $250 unless you're trying to bring along some really huge vehicle or a trailer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

idk if its off season rates or not but right now the seat is $95 and the car is $250 unless you're trying to bring along some really huge vehicle or a trailer

huh yeah that's better than last time i checked i think? i distinctly remember last time we were talking about this i checked and it was over $300 (round trip?) and i was just "lol nope"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/apparel/powerbank.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Has Tesla ever explained why they use 18650 cells (or their new slightly bigger but nearly identical form factor) instead of some larger format with less packaging? Surely there has to be a way of making the packs smaller and lighter by not using 10,000 little cylindrical metal cans inside.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol $45 it's like they think they're an actual luxury brand and not the sharper image of car companies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

Has Tesla ever explained why they use 18650 cells (or their new slightly bigger but nearly identical form factor) instead of some larger format with less packaging? Surely there has to be a way of making the packs smaller and lighter by not using 10,000 little cylindrical metal cans inside.

b/c they actually do not have any new technology and just buying up cheap ~high volume~ chinese batteries

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

the fire suppression stuff depends on high surface area

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

b/c they actually do not have any new technology and just buying up cheap ~high volume~ chinese batteries

hey now

they're making their own cheap batteries now/soon

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

a battery engineer with either GM or Ford said they use 18650s because they're common and small enough to contain/isolate failures in a podcast interview I listened to a few months ago. not Tesla but actual car company so probably better thought out

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

anyway, during q & a some retard from fremont who drives past the tesla plant every day asked the speakers about the obsolescence of urban planning due to the "looming reality of the autonomous car"

i still dont understand the messiah complex of the autonomous car

like how does it solve anything about the ultra-commuting hell of california and its horrible car culture

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it doesn't. it's narcissism -- "i want that thing, but i certainly can't claim that i just want it because it's expensive and exclusive, so i have to brag to everyone about how it's really going to save the planet and fix the roads and so i'm actually super altruistic for spending $110,000 on an SUV"

remember around 2004 when all the hollywood celebrities had priuses?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because the godlike perfect ai that exists in your $40k commuter vehicle will never make mistakes or misinterpret data or lack accurate information about the environment and thus reduce traffic fatalities to 0

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

because the godlike perfect ai that exists in your $40k commuter vehicle will never make mistakes or misinterpret data or lack accurate information about the environment and thus reduce traffic fatalities to 0

yeah this is generally what most people seem to think, that computers are inherently perfect and therefore traffic will be perfect if we put computers in charge of traffic

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and highway speeds will go way up which means i won't have to sit in traffic for six hours a day behind people who could all go faster if only they were as good at driving as i am

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/michaelarria/status/932634112048992257

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lancemantis posted:

i still dont understand the messiah complex of the autonomous car

like how does it solve anything about the ultra-commuting hell of california and its horrible car culture
people dream of

1) napping or websurfing or getting some work done while their car drives their commute for them
2) having the car drive the kids to their stupid afterschool activities and put an end to moms taxi service
3) being able to get wriggity-wrecked and have their car drive them home from the bar

so basically making the lives of well-off white suburban dwellers even better

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

and highway speeds will go way up which means i won't have to sit in traffic for six hours a day behind people who could all go faster if only they were as good at driving as i am

don't forget the best part: magical intersection management

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol he's just now realizing this?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

people dream of

1) napping or websurfing or getting some work done while their car drives their commute for them
2) having the car drive the kids to their stupid afterschool activities and put an end to moms taxi service
3) being able to get wriggity-wrecked and have their car drive them home from the bar

yeah it's the same sort of people who think the only possible problem a city can have that should have money allocated to it is roads

aka the people i somehow got on the mailing list of who won't stop sending me frantic, panicked emails about how the city council might possibly do something besides spend 100% of its budget on roads and how you should call and tell them right now that you want that money to be spent on roads instead!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

im the cars on the right that apparently stop instantaneously

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the loose patch of gravel in the middle of the intersection that causes a momentary loss of traction and a 20 car pileup

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm the 8 lane undivided roadways that'll be a typical example of this buildout

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you slow it down there actually appear to be collisions in that simulation

I can only come to the conclusion that those are actually flying cars and there’s 2 or more heights in that intersection.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the through movements clearly use ramps to safely bypass the turning vehicles i don't see what's so complicated about it computers are good at physics

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

if you slow it down there actually appear to be collisions in that simulation

I can only come to the conclusion that those are actually flying cars and there’s 2 or more heights in that intersection.

maybe the cars are point sources and the simulation only counts a "collision" if they both occupy the same exact point lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it's the same sort of people who think the only possible problem a city can have that should have money allocated to it is roads

aka the people i somehow got on the mailing list of who won't stop sending me frantic, panicked emails about how the city council might possibly do something besides spend 100% of its budget on roads and how you should call and tell them right now that you want that money to be spent on roads instead!!!

i've posted this several times but when i lived in phoenix the city started widening some of the large 7-lane arterial roads in order to add bike lanes on the edges (not removing any car capacity!) and it put some people into a total white-hot rage. they had fuckin picket signs and showed up at city hall screaming about spending MY TAX DOLERS on something they wouldn't even be able to USE bc they didn't ride a bicycle. some of the people even claimed they would just drive in the new bike lanes because it was MY RITE and such.

cars and roads turn people real fuckin crazy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i'm the loose patch of gravel in the middle of the intersection that causes a momentary loss of traction and a 20 car pileup

i'm the metallized mylar party balloon that blows across the intersection and causes every approaching vehicle to panic-brake

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

So in these fantasy traffic systems are they expecting all cars to have some kind of ultra-reliable high speed internet connection talking to a coordination server for traffic flow management or some kind of wireless yelling match to figure out who goes when or do they just expect optical sensors to figure it all out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

people dream of

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

flakeloaf posted:

ah yeah, i guess i didn't think through things in a suburban enough of manner: the biggest problems in the world are things that you percieve as even the most minor of inconvenience

• Locked thread