Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Roth posted:

Oh, I thought you meant NTT-era.

Yeah, honestly, I like Teen Titans a lot but the sidekick characters are the least interesting part. It's part of why I don't care for Abnett's Titans.

Speaking of which, I have no idea what the point of Omen is outside of being a really boring version of Raven with a cool costume.

Omen massively predates Raven. Raven is a darker, broodier version of Omen. Right down to her powers being hard to control and getting everyone into trouble, but with less demonic stuff.

Her point is to rip off Jean Grey. Most of Teen Titans' history is trying to ride the coat tails of X-men's absurd popularity.

Her other point is that DC wants to keep de-aging Raven, Beast Boy, and Starfire such that they were teens at the same time as Dick and now Damian, somehow, so if the original Titans aren't allowed to have Raven then Lilith is the obvious other choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Android Blues posted:

he just like, murders his family, makes Superman kill his own family and murders the rest of the Justice League. Where are the jokes?

I took his whole killing spree as comedy. I clued in that he was tricking the batfam, but the way it cut to the splash with him whipping machine guns from out of his cape like magic got me laughing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Android Blues posted:

Where are the jokes? He might as well have been Batman crossed with Mr. Zsasz.

Zsasz is at least creepy and has the Tally Marks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I bet none of these Watchmen bullshit would have happened if Moore hadn't talked poo poo about Johns a few years ago.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure DC would've totally made the Before Watchmen books and eventually integrated them into the mainline DCU sooner or later no matter who they had writing. Gotta beat whatever money they can still get out of that dead horse.

Skwirl posted:

I know none of this Watchmen bullshit would have happened if DC weren't lying cheating fucks.

Now this guy's got the right of it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Me and D_T are going to be reading Doomsday Clock with open hearts. You can expect the only unbiased reviews from us!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just read multiversity and what a mind gently caress. It's a great book in the weirdest way and I really like how many it is.

I also just read the second volume of new Super-man. What an ending. To loving end on that reveal. I'm pissed because I cannot justify buying the next issue right now until my new job starts on Monday and I get paid.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Android Blues posted:

Where are the jokes?

He's not a comedian, he's Batman with Joker's morality.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finished my re-read of Watchmen, since I hadn't read that since High School. It’s still very much a top-tier comic.

I think my favorite thing about it are the minor characters. The Rorshach’s psychologist that goes from an optimist that doesn’t really care about people to a pessimist that actually does, the news vendor whose constantly changing their opinions at a moment’s notice and goes the entire comic without even knowing the kid’s name that he’s been saying all this stuff to, the woman who has a bunch of internalized homophobia.

And then you can find everybody’s dead body near the end after Veidt goes forward with his plan.

The use of sexual violence isn’t something I feel like I can criticize. I’m not a victim of sexual violence, but Alan Moore was, so I don’t think that’s something I can really weigh in on at all.

Honestly, it’s a shame this book gets misblamed so often for the Dark Age of Comics. I don’t think it deserves that rap for what worse writers and artists did later on in the 90s.

All in all, really glad it was still an enjoyable read, and not something I only liked because I was an edgy teen looking for something grim and gritty.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Finished my re-read of Watchmen, since I hadn't read that since High School. It’s still very much a top-tier comic.

I think my favorite thing about it are the minor characters. The Rorshach’s psychologist that goes from an optimist that doesn’t really care about people to a pessimist that actually does, the news vendor whose constantly changing their opinions at a moment’s notice and goes the entire comic without even knowing the kid’s name that he’s been saying all this stuff to, the woman who has a bunch of internalized homophobia.

And then you can find everybody’s dead body near the end after Veidt goes forward with his plan.

The use of sexual violence isn’t something I feel like I can criticize. I’m not a victim of sexual violence, but Alan Moore was, so I don’t think that’s something I can really weigh in on at all.

Honestly, it’s a shame this book gets misblamed so often for the Dark Age of Comics. I don’t think it deserves that rap for what worse writers and artists did later on in the 90s.

All in all, really glad it was still an enjoyable read, and not something I only liked because I was an edgy teen looking for something grim and gritty.

I am sorry, but wait, what?

That is the first time I heard about that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
he was forced into that polygamous sex-magic marriage. he's innocent and bigamy should be expunged from his record!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
On the subject of the newspaper guy, a tiny detail that I always thought was nice is that, even though he never knew the kids name, he tried to shield him from the blast when it came to kill them both. Don't know why, but I always thought that detail was nice.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

I am sorry, but wait, what?

That is the first time I heard about that.

I probably just mis-remembered because I just checked, and I had honestly thought that somebody here pointed out that Moore uses sexual violence in his stories a lot due to having been sexually abused as a child.

But, I can't find where I read that anymore, and I'm not finding anything on google anymore.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Even if that was true that's not a blank check to write women almost exclusively as rape victims for the course of a 40+ year career

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i just read the first four issues of the new mister miracle. i liked it quite a bit. depression's done a lot over various kinds of media, but this has done it well. orion's interrogation of scott free in the last issue managed to ape what the inner censor of a person in a major depressive episode castigating themselves sounds like (from my experience, anyway). scott free breaking down and punching orion and screaming at him repeatedly in decreasing volume until he collapsed on the floor and sobbed while barda was also so pitiable. big barda beating up lightray felt extremely good, and i find the panels of barda and scott free touching and exchanging affection to be surprisingly poignant and to feel very genuine.

i am wondering, though, as i'm not a huge new gods aficionado: how far out of character is everyone acting? surely orion must be. clearly there's something weird going on with this, although it's canon in some way. i'm also wondering if there are any huge hints as to what exactly is happening that an unobservant or ignorant reader might miss.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Roth posted:

The moment where all the characters go to stop the fight between the two lesbians is a really nice moment,it's a good ending for all of them...

and then they all die....but still a nice moment.

edit: and the therapist goes from a guy who constantly buries his head in the sand and puts a happy spin on all things to being despairing and seeing things for how they really are,that scene at the dinner table always sticks with me and then at the end he berates his arsehole wife and actually goes to stop the two women fighting,love that bit.

all because of rorscharch lol.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 19, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Doomsday Clock

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/932273532205182976

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I feel like there was a character that was relaunched as a platform for millennial angst and it failed, I forgot who, any ideas? It's not Batgirl of Burnside, atleast I'm pretty sure

Maybe you're thinking of that period right at the start of the nu52 where Gail Simone was writing Batgirl? It wasn't angsty to me but it did dedicate some time to Barbara's PTSD from from getting shot by the Joker.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

purple death ray posted:

Even if that was true that's not a blank check to write women almost exclusively as rape victims for the course of a 40+ year career

Nah, of course not. It's just the kind of criticism I wouldn't really go for without checking with other victims of sexual violence first.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

I probably just mis-remembered because I just checked, and I had honestly thought that somebody here pointed out that Moore uses sexual violence in his stories a lot due to having been sexually abused as a child.

But, I can't find where I read that anymore, and I'm not finding anything on google anymore.

"While I myself only suffered an attempted abduction at the age of six or so and the minor molestations of a paedophile head of first years at the age of eleven along with almost everyone else in my year, I have known a distressing number of women, including women who are or have been close to me, who have been raped, sexually assaulted or otherwise threatened with sexual violence."

Source

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nofather posted:

He's not a comedian, he's Batman with Joker's morality.

Isn't that a Mark loving Millar comic that involves a booby-trapped womb at some point?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that a Mark loving Millar comic that involves a booby-trapped womb at some point?

That would be Nemesis,and the bad guy made the brother child gently caress his sister and booby-trapped her womb to implode if they tried to terminate.
I swear to god im not making that up

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That would be Nemesis,and the bad guy made the brother child gently caress his sister and booby-trapped her womb to implode if they tried to terminate.
I swear to god im not making that up

It wasn’t quite that bad. He just artificially inseminated the sister with her brother’s sperm.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I think that was an organization. Memory might be failing but Nemesis was a sort of thrill-ride rich people could pay to be, but other people set it up. Like the Make a Wish Foundation but for rich assholes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

It wasn’t quite that bad. He just artificially inseminated the sister with her brother’s sperm.

gently caress Millar where the above sentence can be used to say "it wasn't quite that bad"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In case any of you can't wait until wednesday here's a pretty spoilerific review of Doomsday Clock #1.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Embargo's up for non-spoilery reviews right now anyway.
Going by this http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/11/20/doomsday-clock-1-review they basically can't say anything about the plot, so hopefully, if you care, you probably won't have to hide away from mainstream press till wednesday.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 20, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Prediction: The climax for Doomsday Clock will involve the Anti-Monitor

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ozy discovers the DC offices in 'the real world' and gets them to create his new nightmare creature to kill Superman. You can guess who that invites into the story :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ozy discovers the DC offices in 'the real world' and gets them to create his new nightmare creature to kill Superman. You can guess who that invites into the story :)

Eddie Berganza?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

A 70ft tall psychic Alan moore kills supes in the streets of metropolis

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You know it's not out of the realms of possibility to kill Alan Moore on panel as a cute little easter egg

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Did Action Comics get better after those first two arcs? The premises for the later arcs sound interesting, but if the execution is still bad I don't to bother.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superboy-Prime, ya dummies.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't care how petulant it seemed superboy prime spending his days on earth trolling dc forums was great

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Feb solicits
https://www.newsarama.com/37433-dc-comics-february-2018-solicitations.html

Poison Ivy arc begins in Batman #41
Mister Miracle #1 Director's Cut with an exclusive short story
Green Lanterns gains Omega Men's artist
Blue Beetle ends
Tomasi's off of Superman again
New Super-Man is now called 'NEW SUPER-MAN AND THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF CHINA'
and speaking of... Deathstroke gets this neat-o Ryan Sook cover

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 21, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

:pray:

This would be the best. He has taken over DC and editorially mandated horrible poo poo.

Roth posted:

Did Action Comics get better after those first two arcs? The premises for the later arcs sound interesting, but if the execution is still bad I don't to bother.

There is an upcoming arc starring Booster Gold and Superman. That should be good since it looks like time cop Booster Gold and that was the last character Jurgens wrote well.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 21, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm giddy at this solicit

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #19

Written by Scott Lobdell, art by Marcio Takara, cover by Mike McKone, variant cover by Guillem March

"Date Night." By day, Artemis and Red Hood are teammates, but tonight they're going out on their first date. Tonight they're leaving Crime Alley behind and sampling the finer things Gotham City has to offer, including a surprise visit to the Batcave! With his friends gone for the night, how will Bizarro spend his free time? And what's the deal with Artemis' warning from last issue? Answers will definitely be revealed.

:allears:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sounds gross

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So I love Tom King's Mister Miracle and I like the character in general, but I have a question about him, when did he learn that the Highfather was his dad? In New 52 the pact was made when he was a child, but in the original continuity he was only a baby, and in King's run he even says he doesn't know his real name.

Did anyone show him learning who is father was, or he just knew off-panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

Poison Ivy arc begins in Batman #41
Oooh, interesting, looks like it's post marriage as well.

quote:

Blue Beetle ends
Sad but inevitable.

quote:

Tomasi's off of Superman again
Grah! Inevitable but sad!

quote:

New Super-Man is now called 'NEW SUPER-MAN AND THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF CHINA'
Sweet. Really underrated comic.

Also a Mother Panic/Batman crossover.

Love the cover. Mother Panic's good but it really has an overinflated view of how unique it is.

And Talia's back in Super Sons. And Michael Cray goes after Arthur Curry! He really is killing the Justice League.