Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The horse thing is an interesting take. Also year round school with a several 4 day weekends and a few weeks off is a good thing.

There's a book on historical urban uses of the horse, supposed to be pretty good. I haven't read it myself but a college friend did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I do wonder if thousands of pounds of horse poo poo in the streets is an effective tradeoff for less air pollution from car engines

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the takes from these 9 year olds are better than every oped posted itt

https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/932298386790903808

(except for Garrett, who is the class traitor)
You know he is bullied by everyone in class and is the class snitch.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

(except for Garrett, who is a class traitor)

Garrett is a loving piece of poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

LF defined internet leftist politics for about eight years (I felt its influence even though I never posted in it or even read it) so I hope C-SPAM does the same thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Garrett is a loving piece of poo poo
Typical coastal liberal.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Year-round school works really well though? The only reason summer vacation became a thing was because kids used to work on the farm during the summer, don't really have to do that anymore. It also means there isn't this huge stretch where the kids who depend on school services lose that support.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

an actual dog posted:

Year-round school works really well though? The only reason summer vacation became a thing was because kids used to work on the farm during the summer, don't really have to do that anymore. It also means there isn't this huge stretch where the kids who depend on school services lose that support.
Not everyone has easy access to a beach.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not everyone has easy access to a beach.

bernie 2020

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Have you no soul?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

places where year-round school is a thing also usually have three times as many holidays and several one or two week semester breaks instead of one big summer break. the entire european continent basically takes off the month of august

but also summer break rules and I will strangle anyone who tries to take it away

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
failing

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
NEW YORK TIMES

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I do wonder if thousands of pounds of horse poo poo in the streets is an effective tradeoff for less air pollution from car engines

well it’s one way to make externalities less ignorable. of course you trade air-pollution which more or less affects everyone, for literal horse poo poo on the poor (those who can’t afford a horse).

either way it’s a real lovely solution if you are talking environmental concerns.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

crazy how your profits and revenues go up when you fire all your actual news teams and run corey lewandowski blog posts

in post-escalator america being a lifestyle brand is 1000x more profitable than being a news organization

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Have you no soul?

idk man even back when i was in elementary school i think i realized that having the break distributed over the year would be better than getting a huge block of free time in the summer only to be crushed when it ends and you have to wait a whole year to get more than a week off.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Woke presley, at 9, owning statue defenders

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Can we just replace david brooks forever with assorted hot takes from kids, its not like the writing style is going to get any worse

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
They should have had a kid’s picture next to an actual David Brooks take

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Children have a better track record of stumbling on correct opinions than David Brooks's entire career of opinion.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

david brooks is the dumbest and most evil rear end in a top hat on that page which is pretty impressive when he's got tom "suck on this" friedman for competition

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/IHateNYT/status/932817388176855040

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol @ the NYT being willing to print an op-ed about capitalism causing the destruction of mankind
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/20/opinion/climate-capitalism-crisis.html

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

how the gently caress do people get paid to write this garbage

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

rudatron posted:

Can we just replace david brooks forever with assorted hot takes from kids, its not like the writing style is going to get any worse

:hai:

I just-

"Instead of driving to work, there's now this thing called riding a bicycle. Best of all, doesn't need gas."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/dongoehubaire/status/933882398705627137

unreal

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The NYT has been publishing this same story about KSA every few years for decades now. Sad!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

(except for Garrett, who is a class traitor)

hell ya lets go back to clogging streets and rivers with horse carcasses

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Durf posted:

hell ya lets go back to clogging streets and rivers with horse carcasses

"It's uber only for dead horse removal."

I'd like my VCbux in gold bullion.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

a horse is way worse on the environment than a car

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/patrickhealynyt/status/934052082788728835

quote:

Roman Polanski was convicted of having sex with a 13-year-old, but does that mean “Rosemary’s Baby” should have been pulled from circulation?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Hollywood has massive turnover in wide-eyed young people trying to make it big, you could literally throw out every single currently working actor and have 3 fresh faces ready to replace them

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Making art unavailable to the public because one of the participants is problematic is highly reactionary, imo. Movies especially are collaborative efforts, and shouldn't be erased from the public just because a lead actor turns out to be some kind of sex prevert.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the movies should become public domain so everyone can see it but the creator doesn't make money.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an actual dog posted:

the movies should become public domain so everyone can see it but the creator doesn't make money.

:discourse:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

rudatron posted:

Hollywood has massive turnover in wide-eyed young people trying to make it big, you could literally throw out every single currently working actor and have 3 fresh faces ready to replace them

Yep, but then you wouldn't have as many seats being filled by people who inexplicably want to follow famous actors to every movie they're in.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

an actual dog posted:

all movies should become public domain so everyone can see it but the studio doesn't make money.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My kneejerk reaction to this was "but how will there be motivation to make movies the way they are without profit" and then I realized that would be a good thing and lack of profit motive would solve almost every problem the film industry has

Jewel Repetition has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Nov 24, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you cancel the copyrights on the ones made by sex fiends you're basically there already anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this guy gets it