Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

I think they specifically chose to reference 9/11 instead of "The Incident" this time around, because you cannot have a gun control discussion in a post-Battle of New York MCU. All the sensible, grounded reasons for not having guns that all civilised western nations have adopted would fall apart once you play the "yes but I need guns in case a hole opens in the sky and aliens invade". In fact I'd expect to see pro-gun movements springing up in places like UK and Australia which previously disarmed their society purely because alien invasions are very much a thing now.

Sometimes to have a discussion of our real world issues, you've got to overlook some of the in-canon stuff. If the 2A gun nut had been ranting about wanting guns to protect against alien invasions I'd be on his side. I'm as anti-gun as it comes, but I'd be armed to the teeth if I was living in the MCU.

It wouldn't have done the narrative of this show any good to draw attention away from the type of story it was trying to tell. It's basically Super Jarhead in PTSD: The Flashbackening. It has nothing to do with the Marvel movie brand of one comic farce after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I lapsed my netflix account and am probably going to resub for a month to watch this. How good is it? How does it stack up to the others?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I lapsed my netflix account and am probably going to resub for a month to watch this. How good is it? How does it stack up to the others?

it's a fair bit better than jj, which is slightly better or as good as daredevil 1, which is better than daredevil 2(taken as a whole) which is as good as luke cage.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Galvanik posted:

As I see it, the consensus seems to be it is one of the better ones. In fact, IIRC, the only things that seem to be considered as better are JJ and DD1.

EDIT: Yeah, what they said basically. ^^

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One of the things in this that makes me laugh a bit is the Marvel writers thinking that anybody would give a flying gently caress about the Phoenix Program Mk2 happening in Afghanistan, much less claim that its exposure would set back foreign relations by 10 years. Nobody cares that we're watching genocide happen in Yemen right now as it is in the real world, why anybody would care in a Marvel universe in which the international coalition for protecting the planet was run by literal Nazis and said planet had already been invaded by aliens is beyond me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished up the series and really enjoyed it, not quite as good as the highs of Jessica Jones but it was probably the best paced of all the Netflix Marvel shows so far and the story didn't end up feeling stretched out like others did. I did feel it lacked a particularly strong antagonist, in that the top bad guy didn't particularly have any depth and Billy Russo had most of the nuance removed from them after he's revealed to be the bad guy, which I'm sure everybody guessed immediately, and then he reveals himself to Frank and Madani in such a clunky, obvious and out-of-character way.

The way the show dealt with/explored issues of PTSD, the abandonment or neglect of veterans and the daily struggle of dealing with the emotional and psychological scars it leaves behind was unexpected but extremely welcome, and I was so glad the show went out of its way to acknowledge that Frank is an extremely broken and hosed up person.

It sure was nice to watch a Netflix Marvel show again that didn't fall apart halfway through or just never take off the ground at all (I was so enthusiastic about Defenders too :sigh:)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
4 episodes in and it's pretty loving good. I can't wrap my head around the opinions of people saying "not violent enough/too much talking" because Jesus Christ.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

No parkour guys got killed with a rocket launcher, total bullshit imo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

4 episodes in and it's pretty loving good. I can't wrap my head around the opinions of people saying "not violent enough/too much talking" because Jesus Christ.

I guess people didn't watch the second trailer and assumed the show would be like Rex "Power" Colt screaming while firing a minigun plus barrels of blood being everywhere.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrNutt posted:

I think that as long as they don't have (comics spoiler) Frank kill Micro for a technicality or something like the stupid loving first Ennis MAX run, the show is probably in good hands. God that was stupid and turned me completely off MAX Punisher for being stupid edgy-mcedgelord garbage.

He kills Micro for doing the same thing Clancy Brown and his soldiers were doing. Bringing drugs into the country

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the burn was too slow and accused the show of being boring. Episodes 8-13 are not boring, holy loving hell.

E: I don't find are troops stuff very interesting and expected more of a criminal antagonist so thats just my subjective viewing obviously. The Punisher payoff is really loving good.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 20, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Galvanik posted:

The fight scenes are probably the best since DD1. The writing isn't mindblowing but it's the easiest show to watch since JJ1, and all the new characters are pretty great.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really enjoying episode 10

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That ending could not have been more perfect. I know they won't, but they should just end it there any not make another series.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Take a shot every time Frank says "Attaboy" or "Attagirl".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Take a shot every time Frank doesn't says "Attaboy" or "Attagirl" One batch, two batch, Penny and Dime.

Easy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RareAcumen posted:

Castor Poe posted:

Take a shot every time Frank says "Attaboy" or "Attagirl" One batch, two batch, Penny and Dime.

Easy.

Drinking games for people who don't want to drink.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Not sure why the thread title isn't Netflix Marvel: "Hey, Hipster!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ok, that went in the wrong thread

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am only on episode 9 of Punisher but so far it feels like every Marvel Netflix property, in that it could be half as long and not much overall would be lost. Frank blames himself for his family's deaths, we get it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

One of the things in this that makes me laugh a bit is the Marvel writers thinking that anybody would give a flying gently caress about the Phoenix Program Mk2 happening in Afghanistan, much less claim that its exposure would set back foreign relations by 10 years. Nobody cares that we're watching genocide happen in Yemen right now as it is in the real world, why anybody would care in a Marvel universe in which the international coalition for protecting the planet was run by literal Nazis and said planet had already been invaded by aliens is beyond me.

I agree but I think people would have a problem with the funding source being heroin smuggling via the bodies of dead service men and women, number 1, and torture as a much smaller number 2.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I want to see Frank take on Jason Voorhees. Or the predator. This guy is an absolute monster.

He'd be a great drinking buddy with Rocket too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

I am only on episode 9 of Punisher but so far it feels like every Marvel Netflix property, in that it could be half as long and not much overall would be lost. Frank blames himself for his family's deaths, we get it.

I think it's funny, there's these shows with 22/23 eps, and one thinks "Man, I could do without some of these monster/villain of the week" eps, and then I watch some of these Netflix shows with 13 eps, and think "Man, I wish there was an occasional monster/villain of the week" ep

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pretty sure the whole show is about Frank viciously killing the people he blames for his family's death.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure the whole show is about Frank viciously killing the people he blames for his family's death.

Season 1 of The Punisher clearly disagrees with you, but that's not really the point. I guess the real problem is that the storytelling is not that clever, making a 13-episode show that slow-burns really obvious plot beats that are never twisted on. Like if you didn't figure out that Billy Russo was a bad guy like 3-4 episodes before the show gets around to just saying it, I'm sure it's gripping. Meanwhile we also spend a lot of time wondering if Madani will ever catch up to the plot, or if Micro will stop staring longingly at his wife.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Season 1 of The Punisher clearly disagrees with you, but that's not really the point. I guess the real problem is that the storytelling is not that clever, making a 13-episode show that slow-burns really obvious plot beats that are never twisted on. Like if you didn't figure out that Billy Russo was a bad guy like 3-4 episodes before the show gets around to just saying it, I'm sure it's gripping. Meanwhile we also spend a lot of time wondering if Madani will ever catch up to the plot, or if Micro will stop staring longingly at his wife.

It's interesting that you think plots need to twist to be satisfying. Not very interesting, but a little.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s me, I’m the goon that didnt realize Billy was in on it until maybe 5 minutes before the reveal. It was totally gripping and I felt hurt as a viewer and hurt on Frank’s behalf

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I knew going in that he was a bad guy, but I felt that they did a good job hiding that aspect of it until the reveal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

homullus posted:

It's interesting that you think plots need to twist to be satisfying. Not very interesting, but a little.

I just feel like if they're going to make it incredibly obvious they could at least play with my expectations a little.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s me, I’m the goon that didnt realize Billy was in on it until maybe 5 minutes before the reveal. It was totally gripping and I felt hurt as a viewer and hurt on Frank’s behalf

I pretty much knew as soon as it was revealed that he runs a Blackwater stand-in. And they got an actor whose only other major part is also being a huge jerk.

HOWEVER, worth noting I have four episodes left to do, so the jury's still out.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

I just feel like if they're going to make it incredibly obvious they could at least play with my expectations a little.

I pretty much knew as soon as it was revealed that he runs a Blackwater stand-in. And they got an actor whose only other major part is also being a huge jerk.

HOWEVER, worth noting I have four episodes left to do, so the jury's still out.

Prince Caspian is a huge jerk?

j/k I've seen Westworld too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CottonWolf posted:

That ending could not have been more perfect. I know they won't, but they should just end it there any not make another series.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely but if the character in the Netflix universe was to end the way it did in the final scene of the final episode I'd actually be really happy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
He's such an obvious potential dickhead that I discounted him from being involved at the start. As soon as it was revealed it was like, well yeah from a pure narrative sense, you needed someone he used to be close to to be the villain. Also someone who is actually an able soldier and not just a leader/manipulator type villain like Rawlins. Wonder if they regretted killing off Clancy Browns character so quickly in Daredevil, great actor and he could have been a bit more interesting with a bit more time in Punisher.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

He's such an obvious potential dickhead that I discounted him from being involved at the start. As soon as it was revealed it was like, well yeah from a pure narrative sense, you needed someone he used to be close to to be the villain. Also someone who is actually an able soldier and not just a leader/manipulator type villain like Rawlins. Wonder if they regretted killing off Clancy Browns character so quickly in Daredevil, great actor and he could have been a bit more interesting with a bit more time in Punisher.

Oh THAT'S why we haven't heard from Clancy Brown again in this show. Yeah I did divert a little bit and start watching the first four episodes of DD2 as recommended, but haven't gotten there yet.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ah sorry man, figured anyone reading that spoiler would have already watched Daredevil.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Clancy Brown stuff is after the first four episodes iirc, during the trial subplot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Ah sorry man, figured anyone reading that spoiler would have already watched Daredevil.

Nah it's good, I didn't care. Also I think I've watched those clips on YouTube before and forgotten them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I think it's funny, there's these shows with 22/23 eps, and one thinks "Man, I could do without some of these monster/villain of the week" eps, and then I watch some of these Netflix shows with 13 eps, and think "Man, I wish there was an occasional monster/villain of the week" ep

Evil humanity IS the occasional monster/villain of the week to Frank.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Season 1 of The Punisher clearly disagrees with you, but that's not really the point.

Oh, so he doesn't really blame the cartel, tertiary players, linked lawyers, ex-squad mates, and the police who helped cover it up? Guess ol' Frank just kills people at random and isn't a murderous revenant bound by pain and rage.

quote:

I guess the real problem is that the storytelling is not that clever, making a 13-episode show that slow-burns really obvious plot beats that are never twisted on. Like if you didn't figure out that Billy Russo was a bad guy like 3-4 episodes before the show gets around to just saying it, I'm sure it's gripping. Meanwhile we also spend a lot of time wondering if Madani will ever catch up to the plot, or if Micro will stop staring longingly at his wife.

It's not a mystery or suspense series, it's a neo-western. Instead of a harmonica, Frank has a guitar and instead of forcing the town to paint all the buildings red he does it himself.

Teek posted:

Yeah, I knew going in that he was a bad guy, but I felt that they did a good job hiding that aspect of it until the reveal.

They actually did a pretty good job of both being obvious about it and throwing out enough misdirects that it's a little surprising when the truth is revealed. It helps that Curtis is about the only guy in the whole series who is totally a good guy, so we're willing to buy that another guy as hosed up as Frank might also be "good".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gyges posted:

Oh, so he doesn't really blame the cartel, tertiary players, linked lawyers, ex-squad mates, and the police who helped cover it up? Guess ol' Frank just kills people at random and isn't a murderous revenant bound by pain and rage.

Actually what I mean is Frank spends most of the season so far in a cramped room talking his problems out with a homeless hacker, and we start to divide between that homeless hacker, Madani (who looks increasingly incompetent and pointless), and strangely enough a right-wing extremist with no direct threads to the main plot. To me it comes off as bloated.

Maybe it's just over-familiarity with the concept in general, but Madani figuring out that the Punisher is actually the good guy (!!!) holds no suspense for me.

quote:

It's not a mystery or suspense series, it's a neo-western. Instead of a harmonica, Frank has a guitar and instead of forcing the town to paint all the buildings red he does it himself.

I guess they took the wrong lesson from '60's westerns--the movie doesn't have to be 13 hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Extremely Cute Detail:

when Micro says I don't want to be Blood Brothers or any of that poo poo!" and then it ends up happening in the last episode anyways lol. Very touching.