Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Hixson posted:

Finished up a dread droppod for my Heresy NightLords:

and a shameless plug for my IG:

https://www.instagram.com/loyalistsareboring/

Yeah everything about that is just right. The rust and weathering look so natural and fantastic. Not to mention how creepy the idea of a chaos dread locked up in that horror chamber is.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Hixson posted:

:unsmigghh: yesss. I can just picture that thing lumbering out and proceeding to wreck poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
drat that looks good

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Absolutely love that.

Fantastic.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

This is really great. Murderbot in his space rv abbatoir

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I just sat down to paint for the first time in over a year and immediately super glued myself to my desk.

>: I

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Lethemonster posted:

I just sat down to paint for the first time in over a year and immediately super glued myself to my desk.

>: I

Hey, whatever motivates you.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Yeah that's certainly 1 way to make sure you get down to it

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the words guys. The pod was super fun to paint

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hixson posted:

Would you mind sharing your recipe for the rusty metal on the inside walls/floor of the pod? It looks fantastic.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hixson posted:

The physical scratches and gouges really add to it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Would you mind sharing your recipe for the rusty metal on the inside walls/floor of the pod? It looks fantastic.

Sure! The metal is primed black with a lead belcher base. Then wash it all with a black wash. Wait for that to dry, then randomly wash parts with a brown wash. Wait for that to dry, then randomly wash parts with a sepia wash. Then give it a light leadbelcher drybrush.

For the grime; I mix violet and terracotta earth Secret Weapon pigments together and apply them randomly around the model. Really any rusty colored pigment would work. After that, take some isopropyl alcohol and wet the pigments. This knocks down the color and makes it look more like grime and less like dust. I like to dab the alcohol on with a brush, but I know others spray it on with an airbrush.

Then liberally apply blood and skulls :)

ijyt posted:

The physical scratches and gouges really add to it.

Thanks man, I literally went at it with a flathead screwdriver

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Forgot about the painting thread...but Maugan Ra is done! First model painted in two years :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Booley posted:

This is my first time weathering stuff / using pigments. Before I start on more squads and on vehicles, does anyone have any links to good tutorials, particularly for doing a more grey/urban weathering? Most of what I've seen focuses on doing mud or brown dust.

This is where the piles and piles of WW2 and Military modelling magazines come in. They have that poo poo on lockdown.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Has anyone bought the Citadel butt plug?

I'm hearing not-terrible things about it, and I'm looking to upgrade from corks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I used it. My hand hurts 100% less after a long session. It's actually a pretty great little product

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The Citadel one seems kinda crap if you paint before basing, and it doesn't have an arm that goes over the mini for stabilization. I have the v2 of these, but I might get a v3 when they come out, since the grip looks nicer than what I have at the moment.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Avenging Dentist posted:

The Citadel one seems kinda crap if you paint before basing, and it doesn't have an arm that goes over the mini for stabilization. I have the v2 of these, but I might get a v3 when they come out, since the grip looks nicer than what I have at the moment.

As someone who paints bases and their minis separately, these rathcore things look awesome.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I used it. Really love it - allows for better angles on things and the paint doesn't rub off on my fingers.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Man, I like the idea of those Rathcore things, but I paint more than one mini at a time, and I feel that a half dozen of those things would get very expensive. Corks can be a pain, but they are considerably cheaper.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Man, I like the idea of those Rathcore things, but I paint more than one mini at a time, and I feel that a half dozen of those things would get very expensive. Corks can be a pain, but they are considerably cheaper.

If they're anything like the one I have, you can just buy a bunch of corks and swap them out in the holder when you want to paint a different guy.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This is what I use: smallish pill bottle with some coins in the bottom to keep it from falling over. This way I can keep the whole squad ready to pick up and paint, which is super useful. The only downside is that it can be hard to get the model to stick on there, I use poster tack but terminator sized bases come off.

I did pick up the citadel one because I want to screw it into a larger vehicle like in the promo video. It's quite nice, and about the same size as what I use.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeast posted:

Has anyone bought the Citadel butt plug?

I'm hearing not-terrible things about it, and I'm looking to upgrade from corks.

Love it. I liked the one I bought enough the I picked up 4 more so I can have all the minis I work on in one with having to switch stuff around. For the price it is a great product.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Love it. I liked the one I bought enough the I picked up 4 more so I can have all the minis I work on in one with having to switch stuff around. For the price it is a great product.

The price is outrageously good, especially for a GW hobby product.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've been wanting to buy one of these for a while. Are they actually available yet?

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Making those holders yourself isn't so bad if you have a drill press, I really couldn't justify the 125 it would have cost for the 5 I made when the doweling was sitting right there. The only real pain in the rear end of making your own butt plugs was getting the coat hanger wire bent around the thing. Alternately maybe I should start cranking these things out of the garage and selling them at an undercut price, it's not like they're a new idea and I've seen how many different takes on the same thing when guys get tired of corks or pill bottles.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Miniatures Painting - The only real pain in the rear end of making your own butt plugs was getting the coat hanger wire bent around the thing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

I've been wanting to buy one of these for a while. Are they actually available yet?

It says they'll be out on the 29th.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Avenging Dentist posted:

I have the v2 of these, but I might get a v3 when they come out, since the grip looks nicer than what I have at the moment.

This is what I use (v3 tho). I put Plastidip on the metal handle and it's fanfuckingtastic.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2017

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I found it nigh impossible to get a 40mm base to stay secure in the buttplug. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it with metal models either. But I seem to be the only negative user. The springs seemed cheap and felt like I want going to rip is apart trying to keep it open long enough to put a mini in it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I tried it with a 40mm rounded base and it definitely wouldn't fit. It does fit 30mm well enough though, and that's the fiddly stuff that it's nice to have a handle for.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
It fits a 40 just fine, holds it securely with some room to spare even. You guys realise there are two staggered 'levels' for different sizes right?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I prefer a Fredericus Rex holder. https://www.fredericus-rex.eu/en/Colors-brushes-Accessories-Acrylic-colors/Painting-Accessories/Halter-004.html

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

WIP on the Kingdom Death Gold Smoke Knight

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Good tip, thanks! (I've gotten a kind of pebbly result on a couple of my chrome-pen experiments, and I thought that might have been due to a non-gloss black primer undercoat. I may have actually bumped it before it dried.)
One thing the chrome pen is great for: gems. Specifically, as the base layer of GW's gemstone paints. Regular silver makes a nice reflective surface, but the chrome under the clear gel is brilliant.

You have any pics of this? It sounds great.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

dr_ether posted:

WIP on the Kingdom Death Gold Smoke Knight

Sick Knight :420: :2bong: :420:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Very cool. Digging that base, also.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Phi230 posted:

One of my French Grenadiers actually stabbed me with his bayonet. Enough to draw blood

At last, Talavera is avenged, Sharpe!

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Philthy posted:

Very cool. Digging that base, also.

base comes with the mini, so I can't take credit for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Sick Knight :420: :2bong: :420:

Cheers. I think I am finally getting the hang of NMM gold (on this scale it is drat hard to get right compared to NMM on trim extra).