Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like "good for hand farming" is the most "damning with faint praise" you can get in FGO.

Well it is something you need to do a lot of, so characters who are good at it are filling a necessary role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At best you're just saving time. Get a George, maybe your best Berserker, and a support Herc/Lancelot/TamaCat, hooray you're also good at farming hands.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saving time means a lot in a game like this without auto attack or where the speed up option is always on for most people because the base game is so loving slow

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can beat caster gil with 60 gilgamesh, 30 drake, and one of you's 90 jeanne but it's kinda rng dependent. Should I level George, Medusa, or bad armor girl for my back-up? (I have literally no EXP cards right now).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

On the other hand actually hard boss stuff is a pretty small slice of your playtime, especially if you discount optional event battles for Lores you'll never use.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tae posted:

I can beat caster gil with 60 gilgamesh, 30 drake, and one of you's 90 jeanne but it's kinda rng dependent. Should I level George, Medusa, or bad armor girl for my back-up? (I have literally no EXP cards right now).

George isn't a damage Servant, he's meant to take heat off your heavy hitters. So if you're not killing him fast enough George won't be that much help.

Meanwhile Ushi is a really good single-target Rider. Medusa is okay, but doesn't excel at anything really.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Baal posted:

Saving time means a lot in a game like this without auto attack or where the speed up option is always on for most people because the base game is so loving slow
I just don't think it saves enough time all told. Even if you have Lancelot x2 both with Kaleidoscope and presumably a Waver to bring them up to 100%, you still need to waste a round smacking dudes around. It'd only be a one stop shop if hand farming was only 1 or 2 rounds. As-is the only scenario I can envision where you truly are saving so much time that it's worth mentioning is having three MLBed Kaleidoscopes across three Berserker AOE NP users, which such an insane edge case.

Anyway what I meant more generally is that "good for hand farming" as a servant's only main bit of praise isn't comparatively all that impressive.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

What's the easiest 40 AP in the event to have somebody carry you through?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The man called M posted:

Probably the Saber one since you should already have a Nobu and can borrow someone's Gilgamesh or np5 Nobu.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Get a high level Marie for the caster mission.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I just don't think it saves enough time all told. Even if you have Lancelot x2 both with Kaleidoscope and presumably a Waver to bring them up to 100%, you still need to waste a round smacking dudes around. It'd only be a one stop shop if hand farming was only 1 or 2 rounds. As-is the only scenario I can envision where you truly are saving so much time that it's worth mentioning is having three MLBed Kaleidoscopes across three Berserker AOE NP users, which such an insane edge case.

Anyway what I meant more generally is that "good for hand farming" as a servant's only main bit of praise isn't comparatively all that impressive.

You absolutely can go three full rounds of exploding hands with NPs and killing them, a lot of people have setups for that specific thing.

You're not wrong if it's their only bit of praise, but sometimes you need someone to do wetwork effectively that others can't and that in and of itself can be more valuable then generic buster beatstick with nothing to them other than damage. For instance, Chacha is a berserker with an AOE NP who is incredibly valuable because at NP5 she has a very strong NP that can wipe out an entire wave of hands or doors so she is a very good grinding servant. That inherently gives her a ton of worth and value because she is gonna kill about three turns of killing one wave of that poo poo and save you like three minutes of hitting poo poo and make it easier to get more out of your grinding session if you're dropping apples on it than just whacking at stuff for a solid five minutes. It's gonna pay off a lot in the long run and save you a ton of time. This may be a service game that's gonna last a while, but I'd like to think you would want to try and minimize the time you are spending doing boring and rote bullshit to make your servants stronger.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The man called M posted:

The Castor one is absurdly easy as long as you can bring enough damage to power through the boss before he uses his NP. He only gets 2 actions normally and almost always wastes them casting buffs.

Like if you have a decent Kintoki friend that's probably good enough, just keep him alive and then NP Brave chain the boss to death. Maybe bring a George and someone who can buff damage.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Tired Moritz posted:

Get a high level Marie for the caster mission.
You spelled "Drake" wrong.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

The man called M posted:

It depends. Do you have a decent team for a carry? By which I basically mean George/Mash, and any other taunts you can stick in your back line. If yes, Okita will tear the lancer quest to shreds. If, on the other hand, you don't mind dumping all of your real time into a series of endless slogs, a good Marie is nigh untouchable in the caster quest.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm loving this 40 AP Caster battle. I have a maxed Drake and Medusa, and finding another decent rider with Poster Girl is pretty easy. I don't think I've lost a single servant grinding this one, and I've gotten a bunch of extra snake eyes and demon hearts as a bonus. I'm need to grind dailies so much after this, everyone needs EXP now

For that Mona Lisa event, am I going to have to grind for prisms by selling EXP cards or is there going to be a simpler way of doing it?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Caster 40 is kinda slow but pretty easy with like my 3rd level ascended ushi and medusa

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

None of the people on my list have a Marie. The highest are like Drake without her 3rd skill and an Anne Marie at 80 which ain't soloing the mission by herself. That's why I'm using the Jeanne.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

mightygerm posted:

Karna should also be out around New Years.

I'm not sure we know when Karna and Arjuna will be out any more? Now that the JP new year's event has been thoroughly cannibalized by the NA thanksgiving event it seems like NA new year's is going to have to look very different. It might just be a Karna/Arjuna banner, but it might be something totally different - or it might be nothing at all and we don't get those two until the March thing that was their second rate-up in JP.

On the other hand Karna would be an obvious servant to bring in as part of whatever they do for Apocrypha - if anything - so we might even see him before Christmas. Who can say?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So what are you guys' gameplans for Avici?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since I'm not planning on grinding it I figured I could just repeat my Halloween strategy of going with Herc/George and a support Waver. Keep Lancelot w/ Kaleidoscope in the wings, and maybe whatever else I can manage behind him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

None of the people on my list have a Marie. The highest are like Drake without her 3rd skill and an Anne Marie at 80 which ain't soloing the mission by herself. That's why I'm using the Jeanne.

Yeah, unfortunately Drake's third Ascension requires 24 Dragon Fangs and I was down to single digits of those by the time Halloween ended, and I just haven't had an opportunity to go farm up more of them for her.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

So what are you guys' gameplans for Avici?

I'll probably go for a zombie team with berserkers in the back.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

There are a lot of ways to get a team that one shots all three waves of hands, but yeah, Waver is the easiest.
I don't even have him on JP, I just take a team of Lancelot + 2 out of Nobu/Alter Lily/Arturia depending on the enemies. Alter gets a LB Imaginary Number Magecraft, the other two a normal Kaleidoscope.
With a Waver friend you use the Def/Atk boosts first turn, NP with your first servant, plug-suit him out for the 3rd servant, NP with the second, critbuff the 3rd with Waver and NP the last wave with him. I rarely play JP anymore, but when I do I finish a stamina bar worth of runs in the time I do a single run playing whack-a-mole on NA with my lovely setup.
I also have probably the most broken arts team possible on JP, easily crushing any content, but I use it so rarely, because the main thing you do is grind your waifus to max ascension for more pretty pictures, then grind a bit more to get them to skill level 6-10. Then grind a bit more to get the newest hotness on the free NP5 4* market. Who also needs their skills leveled.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks to whoever put their level 90 drake back on the rider market. Now this caster mission is taking 3 minutes instead of 30.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Can anyone here confirm a name for the female protagonist of FGO? Is it still Fujimaru Ritsuka regardless of gender?

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Wait they have names? I guess that makes sense they're not actually gudao and gudako

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nah, its Gudako. Even if they tell me otherwise, its Gudako.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's gudao/gudako in gag stuff, the male MC is named Ritsuka in the OVA, and then that's also used for the feMC by some fans.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Ritsuka's been adopted as the official name for both since it's gender neutral, though most people still refer to them as Gudao/Gudako as far as I know.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's actually Fujimaru Taiga.

Sciencegar
Dec 21, 2013

I'm afraid its because of Super-Science.

Regular-Ass Science is innocent.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's actually Fujimaru Taiga.

You joke....but 'Related to the Fujimuras we know' is an angle they could try, if they ever have a modern-day chapter.

Actually, that's an interesting point: Might Arc 2 mess around with the premise, with having the modern day assaulted by singularities rather than us going back to meet them?

Sciencegar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 20, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sciencegar posted:

You joke....but 'Related to the Fujimuras we know' is an angle they could try, if they ever have a modern-day chapter.

Actually, that's an interesting point: Might Arc 2 mess around with the premise, with having the modern day assaulted by singularities rather than us going back to meet them?

That'd be fun.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Their name is uh *checks friend requests*
Hoeslayer_XX

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sciencegar posted:

Let's go further, make Gudao/Gudako the orphaned child of their universe's Emiya and Rin, adopted by Taiga. :v:

Wait, nevermind, I forget its EXTRA that is set in 2030, not FGO, lol.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

The way you do it with Laltria is a Kaleidoscope on her, Waver, and someone else with Kaleidoscope. Waver charges 20%, Latria fires her NP, Laltria gets 20% NP meter back, uses her skill 3 for 50% more, and Waver feeds the last 30%. Now you can back to back NP with Laltria and clear all 3 waves in 3 turns consistently.

The number of times you want a back to back AOE Lancer NP outside of farming hands is small. It's pretty common to have waves of more than 3 enemies starting with Babylon, but that's not such a big problem that people give any extra value to double AOE NP spamming.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
My setup for hands and doors on JP is Drake, Janta Lily, and swimsuit Nero, who all have self-NP charge up skills. Kaleido on Janta Lily, while Drake and Nero can get by with Imaginary Element. Pop the NP charge skills and fire away. For hands I try to choose NPs and buster cards to mitigate class disadvantage

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wuxi posted:

There are a lot of ways to get a team that one shots all three waves of hands, but yeah, Waver is the easiest.
I don't even have him on JP, I just take a team of Lancelot + 2 out of Nobu/Alter Lily/Arturia depending on the enemies. Alter gets a LB Imaginary Number Magecraft, the other two a normal Kaleidoscope.
With a Waver friend you use the Def/Atk boosts first turn, NP with your first servant, plug-suit him out for the 3rd servant, NP with the second, critbuff the 3rd with Waver and NP the last wave with him. I rarely play JP anymore, but when I do I finish a stamina bar worth of runs in the time I do a single run playing whack-a-mole on NA with my lovely setup.
I also have probably the most broken arts team possible on JP, easily crushing any content, but I use it so rarely, because the main thing you do is grind your waifus to max ascension for more pretty pictures, then grind a bit more to get them to skill level 6-10. Then grind a bit more to get the newest hotness on the free NP5 4* market. Who also needs their skills leveled.
I'd definitely prefer to use Berserker AOEs so as to not have to worry about class advantages. I think if I ever roll Raikou I'd probably go with her, Lancelot, and a support waver, presumably counting on Lancelot's stars to crit the final wave to dust.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm really glad that I have the knowledge that future events are less bad then this because if I didn't I think this event would have made me quit.

I was so unlucky with blue pot drops that I literally had to give up; it was caster day and I was still short on blue pots because I would almost always get more Honnoji points and other random stuff then drops. That was with Three After-Party Orders, it still didn't matter. I had to go farm on Black Pots just to try and get the rest of the ingredients, but I'm going to be spending a ton of apples on it because of how far behind I got due to how long it took me to farm the blue and brown pots. All the CEs being Gatcha Exclusive just made it even more painful. I think I'm going to get the full Nobu, and maybe a little past that, but I"m gonna miss the Lore, there's no way I'll manage to get all of the Claws or Hearts, and I'm leaving the babies, the Gears, and probably some of the Shoes.

It's incredibly frustrating.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Conversely to the opinion above, I thought this event was pretty well designed and mostly fun. The variety of 40AP quests dropping over time helped keep the grinding somewhat interesting. It actually takes some effort to clear out the good stuff from the shop, so you should be a little selective. Plus, there was nothing as terribly unfun as trying to get a Halloween Princess drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

I am going to miss the Nobus when this event is over.