Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be a toss(er) dominated tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My dad likes to equate Shaun Marsh to Mark Ramprakash, in the amount of undeserved chances and recalls they get into the Test team.

I don't think it is a fully apt comparison, as Ramprakash would get dropped, murder some pie throwing county trundlers for a while, get picked again, be poo poo and get dropped, rinse repeat. SMarsh gets picked, is poo poo for an extended period of time, gets dropped, does gently caress all, and gets picked again. rinse repeat.

And I think the having Paine in the side shows how little the selectors care about actual form, or talent, or reasons of balance ans structure in the team. They pick more on a vague feeling of "I reckon this bloke is good. I saw him being good once a few years ago.", what Warnie says, and whether or not their face fits.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Coucho Marx posted:

Paine's an odd one. If you wanted to pick a good keeper, what's wrong with Nevill? If they're both equally meh with the bat, at least Nevill has recent international experience.

I don't think Nevill's noooiice Garrrry per hour stat was sufficient to get him back in the side

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

jazzyhattrick posted:

Plovdiv is in Ashes Cricket 2017?

The entire Bulgarian county competition is in it

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Smarsh must have Lehmann's piss tape, it's the only logical answer

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

The entire Bulgarian county competition is in it

Phwoar.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I was kidding, but now I'm reading there actually is an ICC Affiliate Bulgarian Cricket Federation, a national representative team, an academy, and a domestic competition, and I really want them to be in the game now

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

NTRabbit posted:

I was kidding, but now I'm reading there actually is an ICC Affiliate Bulgarian Cricket Federation, a national representative team, an academy, and a domestic competition, and I really want them to be in the game now

I bet Scott Styris is turning out in the Bulgarian T20 league

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thanks for evening the playing field by picking a poo poo team too.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Afghanistan winning the U-19 Asia Cup is cool and good. Destroyed Pakistan in the final as well.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Dickwella trolling India pretty hard right now. Batting to save the match and there's some entertaining timewasting going on, and earlier he wandered about 3 foot over to off and slogged one of the Indian seamers over Square Leg for 6.

EDIT : Then Chandimal gets cleaned up by Shami.

biglads fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 20, 2017

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lyon went ham with the mind games this morning

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/matt-prior-scared-ashes-nathan-lyon-mitchell-johnson-england-australia/2017-11-21

2 more days till I get my first live ashes experience. Pretty pumped.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The only time I saw any Ashes live was at the MCG when punter blew up after Pietersen was given not out. Pretty good day to go.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

I'm flying to Adelaide for days 2 and 3 so that's going to be one hell of a weekend.

I may even see a result considering it's D/N and the pink ball.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

The only time I saw any Ashes live was at the MCG when punter blew up after Pietersen was given not out. Pretty good day to go.

SCG, 2012. Mitchell Johnson walks all the way out to the middle. Gets bowled first ball. Walks all the way back to the pavilion. Barmy Army goes mental. Aussie supporters behind me shouting "Straussy, give us a chance". Glorious.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

BlindSite posted:

Lyon went ham with the mind games this morning

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/matt-prior-scared-ashes-nathan-lyon-mitchell-johnson-england-australia/2017-11-21

2 more days till I get my first live ashes experience. Pretty pumped.

While i can appreciate Lyons antics and i highly rate the three Australian quicks on potential none of them have the same ability to put a fright in a batsmen like mitchell johnson on his day and on a pitch that suits him.

There are fast bowlers and then there are scary bowlers and johnson was a scary bowler on the rare occasions everything worked. I was listening to that pomnishambles thing 5 live did and the english players were spooked just watching johnson bowl at the gabba never mind facing him. Trott was so worried about johnsons bouncer after the odi series in England earlier in that year he was setting up a bowling machine and deliberately letting the ball hit him over and over again to the point cook thought he would have to step in

When we think of Johnson it is often the goof ball represented in unimpresseds post above mine or the comical figure sledging anderson just before anderson took a wicket. However there were times when he was terrifying. The match he played at centurion in 2014 was probably the most brutal fast bowling ive seen in my years of watching cricket. There is something in johnsons action where when he is at his best the batsman doesnt pick up the ball until very late.

So yeah Hazlewood, starc and cummins are all good quicks. They can all bowl reasonably fast to very fast (hazlewood has been sitting at about 140km/h in the shield apparently and he is the slowest) and all three have the potential to be better than johnson but they arent going to scare the english like johnson did

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

When Johnson was good, he was very very good. Almost unplayable good. And the fear he put in batsmen was part of that goodness.

Starc can be very very good, but to my mind, isn't as scary.

Australia should win, and win pretty well, but it won't be a whitewash/walkover.

Both teams have huge flaws, but Australias flaws can be papered over more easily, (if Warner/Smith score runs, or teh tail wags people will forget the inevitable middle order collapse.)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I'd love to see cummins or starc get stuck in. I love intimidating fast bowling more than anything in cricket.

Then again they could both breakdown at the gabba

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

:siren::siren::siren:

Alright, some other sports do these in their threads for various poo poo, so let's do the SA Cricket Thread Ashes Survey, get 1 point for a right answer and we will try find some crap present for the winner. A big red title declaring you lord of the Marsh clan or some poo poo

https://goo.gl/forms/kxFqQDwbUORivMyS2

Fill it in here, I will close it off before the start of play Thursday

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I said Cummins would be the first Aussie dropped but only because I think they’ll swap him out with Sayers for Adelaide. Does that count?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah I think that counts still, swapped out/dropped is the same poo poo imo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I just submitted. My form is a mix of safe responses that will probably miss because the the next best bet will win, and a bunch of wild card choices that will miss because they are stupid.

I look forward to getting 0 points.

edit: lets say someone reviews an iffy LBW call and is given out, does that count? Also lets say the bowling side reviews something that is celarly not out, is it the bowler or captain being the stupid one, and does that count?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 21, 2017

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Yeh some of the rules are a bit hard to lock in stone, that is cricket, but with the DRS stuff I am looking for some Watto esque level stuff. Like Warner reviewing one that is pitching middle, hitting middle.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Beth Mooney just played a heck of a knock in the T20. Including a great last over when she was exhausted and managed to wack a bunch of fours to finish off the innings. Good stuff.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

haha Australia is going to lose this because they have dropped 4 absolute sitters including 2 by the keeper. Just horrendous fielding.

EDIT

This is actually shameful fielding now. The Australians almost seem afraid to field the ball

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 21, 2017

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I hadn't heard about the new 80 over rule for reviews - good change.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm just getting a pre-emptive "loving Ballance" in.

EDIT: And a "LMAO Mason Crane"

biglads fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 21, 2017

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

V for Vegas posted:

I hadn't heard about the new 80 over rule for reviews - good change.

Those sound shockingly sensible. Maybe a little unsure about the helmet rule

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The "red card rule" is more for violent lunatics at local level and i would be pretty loving shocked if it was ever busted out in an international. It is just common sense that the umpire should have the power to eject a player from the game if needed.

Don't much care for the helmet rule to be honest. I don't see what pressing need was met by changing the existing rule. I feel that the old rule was a good balance between a player not dying on the field fielding in close and the fielding team getting an advantage outside of protection of the players through the helmet

I believe the new DRS rule is offset by teams not losing reviews on "umpire call". At least that appeared to be what happened when Kohli challenged his LBW in the first innings of the Sri Lanka/India test. I think it is a positive change to remove the reset after 80 overs because nothing is lamer than a captain just going what the heck at over 79.5 on a ludicrous LBW call or whatever. I still don't especially like DRS but this is a good chance in principle. I will maybe feel differently if teams end up challenging tons of close LBWs and keeping them because of umpires call though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

EMC posted:

:siren::siren::siren:

Alright, some other sports do these in their threads for various poo poo, so let's do the SA Cricket Thread Ashes Survey, get 1 point for a right answer and we will try find some crap present for the winner. A big red title declaring you lord of the Marsh clan or some poo poo

https://goo.gl/forms/kxFqQDwbUORivMyS2

No option for the Ashes to be decided at the gabba

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Burn Down Canberra posted:

haha Australia is going to lose this because they have dropped 4 absolute sitters including 2 by the keeper. Just horrendous fielding.

EDIT

This is actually shameful fielding now. The Australians almost seem afraid to field the ball

I had to switch it off as I was actually getting angry and banging my hand down on my desk at work. Like dude, cmon!

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Good job EMC. I put down everything highly sensible and I'm sure none of them will end up being right.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

May as well post up-to-date versions of the silly England spreadsheets I've made before the Ashes starts.

History of England Test Cricket caps and side continuity (or, at times, otherwise)

Distribution of runs scored per innings for modern (still playing in 2000) England batsmen

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I answered David Warner for every question. Do I win?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I answered David Warner for every question. Do I win?

We'll see how he matches up to answering Stuart Broad to every question

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/jonathanliew/status/933104551216812032

WE'RE DOOMED!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Isn't this against some sort of rule? Preparing a wicket hell bent on making sure the home side will win.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

There are articles like this literally every Gabba/WACA test, how the WACA is going to be like it was in the 80's and then it becomes a 5 day snorefest again. It will be green like that at the moment because it hasn't been mowed the final time yet, if they mow it too early the weather in Brisbane will wreck and on day 3 it will look like the surface of the moon
Also reminder to get your survey done https://goo.gl/forms/kxFqQDwbUORivMyS2

We have 26 responses so far so :getin:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Chief posted:

Isn't this against some sort of rule? Preparing a wicket hell bent on making sure the home side will win.

Nah, it's pretty standard. It's balanced by the risk of cocking it (being the pitch, your estimation of how the pitch will play, or your estimation of what conditions favour your team) up and the visiting team winning at a canter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Sorry to be a rules pedant, but about the "caught off a helmet" rule.

Is the change only now that a batsman can be caught if the ball bounces off a helmet that a player is wearing? Or does it affect the 5 byes scored when the ball hits the helmets that they sometimes keep on the field behind the keeper?

I understand that it would take an extraordinary shot/set of circumstances for a batsman to be caught out after somehow hitting the ball in teh air behind him, missing the keeper and having it bounce off that helmet into someone's hands. But stupider things have happened.

Also whilst I like the fact that you don't get your reviews back after 80 overs, I reckon that no loss of review after umpires call will result in a fucktonne more reviews.

Mister Chief posted:

When the cheating foreigners do it, it's called pitch doctoring and it's the only reason that we lost, when the heroic locals do it it's called home field advantage, and is only a small advantage and in reality we won because we are awesome and handsome and cool.