Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I tried occulus room scale VR. It's cool but it's still a generation or 2 away from what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It sounds to me like Doom VFR is going to be another VR “experience” like we have seen so far for the most part while Skyrim is a full fledged game that is also in VR.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Eh, I’m on the fence leaning “wait till next gen” and I’m not gonna drop $300 on something that I may ultimately end up not liking. People tell me you don’t really even notice the resolution drop but that’s one of those things I need to see to believe.

I keep posting this, but every time I waffle I end coming back to “nah not yet.” So I think that’s where I’m at.

Considering the success I think next gen will be later than sooner. At the deals going on or coming honestly might as well just take a gamble. If nothing else you will only lose like 10-20% selling it used.

To be fair you can gently caress with the lenses via the ps4 OS settings both automatically and manually. Maybe it has improved with a firmware update but I think a lot of people found better resolution with manual incremental adjustments after an auto adjust/measure.

I haven't touched mine for a while though. Rez is incredible, as expected. Lots of good stuff coming.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Skyrim VR makes me wanna take my PSVR out of the box again and all the footage and streams I'm seeing look fun. I haven't played it in like 5 years so maybe it'd be a fun excuse to go back.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Well, it’s not in my budget for this year. If it’s as good as you say, maybe next Black Friday .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

Eh, I’m on the fence leaning “wait till next gen” and I’m not gonna drop $300 on something that I may ultimately end up not liking. People tell me you don’t really even notice the resolution drop but that’s one of those things I need to see to believe.

I keep posting this, but every time I waffle I end coming back to “nah not yet.” So I think that’s where I’m at.

It's not that you don't notice the resolution, it's just that you get used to it. it's pretty drat obvious but it's worth the trade off. The easiest way to try one risk free, might be buying a used one from Gamestop, and return it if you don't like it. I think they still have the 7 day policy for peripherals.

it's not even that it's low res, it's (2?) 1080p screens an inch away from your face so when stuff loses detail in the background or a texture looks bad it's much more obvious. Basically all around you have to trade graphical fidelity for the intense 3D effect and head tracking. It's well worth it imo but the appeal is just so different from a playing games on a flat screen. In general the sense of place is just awesome, but it's not gonna look as good as what you are used to, with the exception of a few games that are also pretty small scale.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Skyrim VR makes me wanna take my PSVR out of the box again and all the footage and streams I'm seeing look fun. I haven't played it in like 5 years so maybe it'd be a fun excuse to go back.
Even though I’ve played it through like three times I’ve never actually played the Hearthfire expansion so a few things here and there are new.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It saddens me that there are presumably people younger than myself who are nostalgic for those weird shifty PSX polygons.

https://twitter.com/blokatt/status/779754951417487360

(If I had any gamedev skills at all I would totally make a game with this kind of low poly PSX aesthetic.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Rented Need for Speed.

First word out of the main character's mouth made me want to kill him slowly.

Then it does this "switch between 3 characters so you can see their expertise" thing a few seconds later. The black guy does offroad. Then it switches to the girl, who... does nothing any different than the first guy.

And the pop in (on a Pro here) on the roads just a bit ahead of you is pretty bad.

Sooooo... we'll see?

5 more min in:

Man, some of the corners of raceways have almost imperceptible white ledges and low walls you can't see until it's too late.

Also, in the first major race a blue barrier/indicator of direction didn't show up until I drove past it.

Also: I truly, in my heart believe that EA said: "look guys, they are gonna make fun of our voice actors no matter what, so let's just bottom-of-the-barrel it and save some money." It's so bad.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 21, 2017

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

How the christ is the remaster of LA Noire 90 frigging dollars? That is more than I paid for it when it came out 6 years ago. Didn't even know it had a remake until yesterday and was going to get it as I no longer have my original.
But for $90?
gently caress that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drint Blasters posted:

How the christ is the remaster of LA Noire 90 frigging dollars? That is more than I paid for it when it came out 6 years ago. Didn't even know it had a remake until yesterday and was going to get it as I no longer have my original.
But for $90?
gently caress that.

you looking at a special edition? it's $40 from what I can see

unless you're in australia or something

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you looking at a special edition? it's $40 from what I can see

Hilarious, considering Team Bondi made the drat game.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am in Australia but I thought this sorta stuff was on the way out.
God drat

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I tell you, playing this douchey NFS Payback has really solidified what I want in a racer like this.

* No acted main character. I am the main character.

*lots of cars, customizations, and unique-but-arcadey handling. NFS-ish handling is fine.

*More of a social game aspect. Basically, take out Tyler Douche, and Jessica Choad and let it be about me, my car, you, your car, OUR races, and just a general culture.

Something between, like, Need for Speed, Forza Horizon, and Test Drive Unlimited.

Because when I play as Tyler Douche and have to enact his story and drive HIS cars, I don't feel like I am racing *my car* or have any connection or agency.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I tell you, playing this douchey NFS Payback has really solidified what I want in a racer like this.

* No acted main character. I am the main character.

*lots of cars, customizations, and unique-but-arcadey handling. NFS-ish handling is fine.

*More of a social game aspect. Basically, take out Tyler Douche, and Jessica Choad and let it be about me, my car, you, your car, OUR races, and just a general culture.

Something between, like, Need for Speed, Forza Horizon, and Test Drive Unlimited.

Because when I play as Tyler Douche and have to enact his story and drive HIS cars, I don't feel like I am racing *my car* or have any connection or agency.

Does it have split screen?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Racing games hit the pinnacle of the genre with Split/Second and they've only been getting worse IMO.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My favorite NFS ever was a while back when you had sliders that exaggerated the dimensions and scale of your aftermarket parts. Or at least that aspect made it highly adored by me.

This Fast and Furious drama script bullshit just grates me. Give me agency, ownership, customization and free reign. That’s all a good racer needs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember getting the very first Need for Speed Underground running on my ancient home PC. The lighting effects were MIND BLOWING

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is this the one y'all revere cause it's the best

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I unlocked a "find the parts" car in need for speed and it's dogshit and I can't put any of my unused upgrades from other cars on it so this is going back to Gamefly after Thanksgiving

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is this the one y'all revere cause it's the best

Strange, that seems to be a image of Need for Speed 3, not Need for Speed: Porsche 2000.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Need For Speed underground was also dope. But Split/Second....so good.

Edit: Burnout 3 is also extremely good, forgot about that one. \//\/\//\/\/

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 21, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Racing games hit the pinnacle of the genre with Burnout 3 and they've only been getting worse IMO.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

is burnout 3 the one with the original crash mode? my roommate and i rented that for i think original xbox and played from after work until work the next day

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think burnout 2 introduced crash mode but I'm not sure

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The EA burnout games were poo poo except for Paradise, which still hasn't been topped

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DRIVER owned because of how much of a terrific shitshow the physics were.

Just, like, a cop car would flip over cresting a hill and slide for 4-5 blocks before coming to a stop.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FAUXTON posted:

Just, like, a cop car would flip over cresting a hill and slide for 4-5 blocks before coming to a stop.

To be honest I prefer physics like that (in my enemies). Don't give me a few cops pursuing me because car fights are only interesting with the finishing moves so just give me lots of cops and thus lots of finishing moves. I don't want dog fights, I want Blues Brothers.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Yeah driver owned specifically because it had the physics of slo mo 60 70s and 80s car movies, especially the crashes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Underground 2 was the best need for speed. Also the first most wanted

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
NFS: Carbon was perfection. The team system let you feel like you part of something bigger, customizing your own aftermarket parts gave you the ability to make a car that was really your own, dueling the other team leaders was pretty fun, the world design was full of fun corners and shortcuts, and who can forget those deliciously cheesy live acted cutscenes. I want nothing more than another one just like that but with more teams to go against.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Rivals was pretty good, and Hot Pursuit (the 2010 Criterion one) was great.

I also played a poo poo load of Underground 1 back in the day.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

I spent so much time with Driver's camera mode. You'd drive around and do a car chase and then set up cameras on a timeline to follow the recorded action. At some point a patch broke all the old movies and so my Bullit-esque fan film died. But you really could redo the classic 70s muscle car feel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

OxMan posted:

Yeah driver owned specifically because it had the physics of slo mo 60 70s and 80s car movies, especially the crashes.

you could set up a cop ambush in the filmmaker mode where you spawn surrounded and very often you end up 1000ft in the air after getting owned from multiple angles at once

driver ruled

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hot pursuit 2010 was one of the only racing games I've ever actually enjoyed.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got Everybody's Golf for $10 at Redbox yesterday. On the one hand it is a drat fun game of golf. On the other...does the campaign get better? I already got tired of playing through the same 9 holes several times so I could have 3 rival matches (Again, on the same drat nine holes) to get to Rank 2. It appears I will be doing it all over again on the new set of 9 holes that I just unlocked and does not make me excited to play through the rest of it. At the very least will they at least mix up which courses I could take instead of just exclusively playing through the most recently unlocked course?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yeah they are too stingy about unlocking courses but they eventually mix it up

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's also the DLC throwback courses but yeah eventually the ranks start getting more diverse in what settings/courses they offer you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Good to know. The game itself is real good and may be willing to suffer through the early going knowing that it does become a bit more diverse.

Couple of questions on the DLC courses:

1. Are they added to the campaign once you buy them?

2. I see 3 DLC courses in the game but only 2 of them are purchasable at the moment. Is there a reason for that or is something weird going on in my game?

As an aside, forcing you to play with the two button press scheme for the THIRD rival battle (Putting aside the first two rival battles, you will have played 3 tournaments by that point) is such a brilliant "gently caress You" that I don't know if I should be mad or impressed.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aussie Goons: JB HiFi will be selling Gran Turismo Sport for $29 between 24th and 27th of November.