Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sepinwall posted a real positive review of Runaways, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone watched Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams? Apparently it's been out in UK for a while but I haven't heard anything about it until today. Pretty big fan of Dick so hopefully it doesn't suck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

You're in for more of that!

Corey Wolf-Hart character of the year.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Travelers season 2 will be on Netflix December 26th.

I've been liking this season so that'll be nice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've been liking this season so that'll be nice.

I've been waiting for Netflix so I can watch in 4K or maybe DOLBY VISION if I'm lucky.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841256

Made a thread for Future Man so more people can talk about how great it is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone watched Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams? Apparently it's been out in UK for a while but I haven't heard anything about it until today. Pretty big fan of Dick so hopefully it doesn't suck.

It's well made, the stories are kind of old school and predictable but I guess you'd already know that. I enjoyed it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Sepinwall posted a real positive review of Runaways, nice

AV Club as well

https://www.avclub.com/hulu-s-runaways-is-even-better-than-fans-could-have-hop-1820506664

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait what poo poo really? I thought it was still several months off. I am on the case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it came it in the UK in October. It's going to be on Amazon Prime in January for the US.

I've heard that it's middling to decent but not mind-blowing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
When's the next Black Mirror episodes? Any word of a christmas special?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Last week TV critics received screeners of the upcoming 6 new episodes, so they can't be too far off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I only just discovered SMILF exists the other day and despite my trouble getting past the name I really want to check it out since I'm a fan of Frankie Shaw and it gives me good Shameless vibes.

Is Runaways going to be a Netflix "dump it all" show or are all Hulu shows weekly?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

First three episodes all at once, then weekly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Charlie Rose is the latest one to be accused.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bull3964 posted:

Charlie Rose is the latest one to be accused.

By eight women, too. And PBS suspended him and his show.

NYT reporter Glenn Thrush got got, too. And with him, there are several text message thread screenshots.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Arist posted:

First three episodes all at once, then weekly.

God dammit I forgot it was Hulu, was looking forward to a binge this weekend

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Medullah posted:

God dammit I forgot it was Hulu, was looking forward to a binge this weekend

Yeah, I'm disappointed because I'm currently subscribed and thought I could binge it before my month was up, but I guess I need to stay on another month and binge it then. I can appreciate Hulu wanting to do the week-to-week to keep subscribers but like the entire reason I stream is so I can binge and avoid that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do NOT appreciate it but since I use hulu throughout the year I just wait until the whole thing is out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Charlie Rose? Noooo. He sounds so... profound all the time. Now even Breaking Bad is ruined.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 21, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm excited about Runaways, if bummed they've altered the parents. I wonder what the first season arc will be if their parents aren't all supervillains.

I mean it may well still go about the same way, just lacking time travel and literal alien parents/etc, so who knows. Still hyped tho! Been seeing ads on buses around the city this week.

e: also I love Josh Scwartz/Steph Savage shows so I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever changes they do.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 21, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait, what? If you change that then what's the drat point of Runaways?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've only seen the trailers for it and that seems to be mostly intact. It still seem to be the same setup.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, what? If you change that then what's the drat point of Runaways?

I think they're still bad, just not "supervillians". Though without magic it's gonna be tough to do Nico. And I assume the Gibborim won't be a part of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley mixed up and was a lot more disappointed for a moment (though it's still frustrating). Tavis is still clean as far as we know, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, that seems like a superficial difference. Realistically since its in the MCU it doesn't really make sense to keep the exact same origin of them being supervillains who control the West Coast and keep other heroes and villains away because the MCU isn't near as saturated with super heroes and villains as the comic book world. So just having them be evil bad guys is the same thing that fits slightly better.

And is there some bit that says no magic? Because magic is pretty well established in the MCU by now and the trailers seemed to be showing some pretty "magicy" stuff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I could see changing Molly since we can't say mutant, but as far as I know the parents are all changed to not have powers. I imagine they're still villains. But it raises questions like wtf is Karolina's deal going to be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, I just rewatched the trailer and there's really not anything noticeably different. All the kids appear to have the stuff they had in the books.

Honestly the initial premise of one couple for each cliche of villain is a little hokey so if they just make the Pride a more generalized villain group that doesn't seem like a big deal. As long as the kids all have their own powers. The parents' powers were never the point of the story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Admittedly I haven't looked at any promo material and don't even know who the cast is, I love the showrunners and material so I'ma just go in blind and probably love it anyway. So some of my queries prob already have answers.

A lot of my questions are just weird technicalities, I'm sure the show will cover all the main ground needed while missing a bit of the connective tissue w/r/t parents or certain origins.

Like if this show does well, I doubt they'll ever do the 'Karolina fucks off to space for a while and hooks up with a skrull' storyline anyway so they don't need the backstory of her being an alien (gay) and feeling like she needs to find her place and people (gay gay gay).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Charlie Rose? Noooo. He sounds so... profound all the time. Now even Breaking Bad is ruined.

It is to the point that I’m going accidentally forget someone was accused of sexual assault, because there are almost way too many to keep track of now. Some of these will end up getting swept under the rug (it seems the accusations against Danny Masterson are being ignored by Netflix), because they will get lost in all the noise. I want them all to burn.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Really, all that stuff seems intact from the little I've seen. The only real differences I've seen noted are very minor stuff like Nico won't cut herself to get the staff for obvious reasons and Chase isn't as stupid and douchey - also probably for obvious reasons.

I guess the two "glaring" origin differences I notice are probably Gert's parents not being time travelers but rather being "bio engineers" and Molly probably not being a mutant. Both of those make sense since they're not things in the MCU but don't seem terribly significant.

Wikipedia actively lists Nico's mom as one of the Masters from Doctor Strange and Karolina as an alien but I have no idea if that's official or just assumed from the comics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The one thing we know for sure about Nico is that they wisely decided to remove the "she gets her power by cutting herself" factor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's just a change that makes you wonder how it ever got included in the first place once you think about it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eh, I liked it in the comic and it worked/made sense there. Blood magic/black magic etc. But yeah, not sure how well it would fly on TV in 2017, it's a change that doesn't bother me at all.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mobby_6kl posted:

Pretty big fan of Dick

hehe

quote:

so hopefully it doesn't suck.

hehehehe

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think it makes sense in the comic, Vaughan was going for a more mature storyline. Just not a good idea for a more mainstream delivery method.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Medullah posted:

I think it makes sense in the comic, Vaughan was going for a more mature storyline. Just not a good idea for a more mainstream delivery method.

This, too. And it clashed with Nico's personality quite a bit iirc despite her goth looks. Though it's been some time since I read the first main arc so I could be misremembering.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Arist posted:

I forgot how good Search Party is.

Search Party was one of the worst things I saw last year and I'm kind of amazed it got a second season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think it's actually done running in the UK yet. It's kinda... there, like the episodes are decent and well shot and technically proficient but I have no desire to rewatch them. They remind me of middle-of-the-road episodes of '90s Outer Limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh nice, Runaways is airing on Showcase in Canada. I think we have that on our cable package right now.

• Locked thread