Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Blender appears to be growing in popularity. I just logged onto LinkedIn to learn that the lead animator on Mushu in Disney's Mulan just finished working on an all-Blender feature film in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Is there a recommended place to post requests for contract 3D character artists? I have a small paid project involving modeling/animating a character for a game and I have no idea if there is a place to find such a person that isn't one of those gig sites like upwork/guru/fiverr.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

nolen posted:

Is there a recommended place to post requests for contract 3D character artists? I have a small paid project involving modeling/animating a character for a game and I have no idea if there is a place to find such a person that isn't one of those gig sites like upwork/guru/fiverr.

You could try Polycount's freelancer forum? Reddit's /r/gamedevclassifieds isn't terrible either, while I was freelancing I got a decent bit of work from there.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I finally caved and got an Instagram tonight - it's going to be a home for all my dumb abstract CG stuff. I know a few other people here do similar things, can those that do post them so I get to see some CG when I go on it.

https://www.instagram.com/neilgrfis/

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

just started working on a frommer model 1912 pistol. maybe this'll end up being a fallout 4 weapon mod but idk i still have to figure out how to do that stuff

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its looking quite soft, tighten up those bevels!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

This was a demo yesterday for the zbrush class. "How to make a realistic eyeball." The background image is of the classroom via a custom made HDR. Not the fanciest model but I think it turned out pretty well considering how fast the demo went.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

that pupil/iris is :stare:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lol. Yes. It was a fast demo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In that single image all I can take away from it is a sphere. Are there other images that demonstrate what was done?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

In that single image all I can take away from it is a sphere. Are there other images that demonstrate what was done?

It initially was about making realistic eyes in zbrush and rendering in keyshot. However, earlier in the day I made a custom HDR for another class demo and just combined the two things because it was convenient. Keyshot produces amazing results with very little effort and has a small HDR library. Making a custom HDR isn't hard ... so ...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

It initially was about making realistic eyes in zbrush and rendering in keyshot. However, earlier in the day I made a custom HDR for another class demo and just combined the two things because it was convenient. Keyshot produces amazing results with very little effort and has a small HDR library. Making a custom HDR isn't hard ... so ...

Right, I guess what I'm saying is, from that image, all I can take away from it is that it looks like a sphere with a nice texture on it and IBR.

I'm assuming since it was done in ZBrush there's some actual modeled detail in the iris and pupil so... why not show that off?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

IBR? You mean BPR? It isn't rendered in zbrush actually. I can do a little break down if that's what people want. Left the files at school though, so it will have to be next week.

This might have been the best term yet for zbrush students. Definitely better work across the board. Still not industry standard for the most part but I am constantly reminded it is an ELECTIVE and not a required class. Students drop like flies when they discover 3d is actually hard work.

Some aren't like that though. This term there have been a lot of hardworking, enthusiastic students.. Some even apply the skills learned to other fields. Like jewelry making.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 24, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Is using Quixel Megascans considered cheating, cause drat, they have some awesome stuff on there.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Is using Quixel Megascans considered cheating, cause drat, they have some awesome stuff on there.

Not considered cheating. A lot of the big game companies are using photoscanned textures in their games. Before that, it was very common practice to use photo-based textures.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The only thing in this industry that is cheating is taking credit for someone else's work - everything else is more than fair game. It's all about the end result.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If any of y'all are Polycount-inclined, I have an ongoing thread for my current project which is an all-in, Blizzard-themed, long-term portfolio piece.

http://polycount.com/discussion/193151/overwatch-hq-long-term-environment-working-thread-ue4

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

mutata fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 29, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So this is more of an animation question but there are animators in this thread too,

If you had to animate two balls of the same size but different weights falling from the same height and you couldn't show them bouncing after impact, how would you show that one ball is heavier than the other?
The general answer seems to be that you would give the heavier ball more hang-time so that its acceleration as it approaches the ground is larger (farther spacing) whereas the lighter ball would have more even spacing the whole way down.

However according to physics there is no way to tell from these parameters. Both would have the same spacing going down.
So if you had this as an animation test and you had to show that one was heavier than the other, would you fake it?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

So this is more of an animation question but there are animators in this thread too,

If you had to animate two balls of the same size but different weights falling from the same height and you couldn't show them bouncing after impact, how would you show that one ball is heavier than the other?
The general answer seems to be that you would give the heavier ball more hang-time so that its acceleration as it approaches the ground is larger (farther spacing) whereas the lighter ball would have more even spacing the whole way down.

However according to physics there is no way to tell from these parameters. Both would have the same spacing going down.
So if you had this as an animation test and you had to show that one was heavier than the other, would you fake it?

Heavier one would squash more on impact and/or sink into the ground.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Can they roll after landing? Can you exaggerate/do cartoon style caricature of motion?

Goosezilla
Apr 26, 2017
So in an airless/perfect environment, yes they fall at the same rate! But we live in an awesome atmosphere, full of all kinds of stuff like wind and friction. I would find a way to have the lighter ball wiggle and hang a bit more than the heavier ball, which would probably just fall straight down if heavy enough.

Goosezilla
Apr 26, 2017

mutata posted:

If any of y'all are Polycount-inclined, I have an ongoing thread for my current project which is an all-in, Blizzard-themed, long-term portfolio piece.

http://polycount.com/discussion/193151/overwatch-hq-long-term-environment-working-thread-ue4

Looking good!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Goosezilla posted:

So in an airless/perfect environment, yes they fall at the same rate! But we live in an awesome atmosphere, full of all kinds of stuff like wind and friction. I would find a way to have the lighter ball wiggle and hang a bit more than the heavier ball, which would probably just fall straight down if heavy enough.

air resistance is the physical factor here. rate should be force down vs force up. show one looking feathery vs one looking like a metal ball.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Goosezilla posted:

The lighter ball needs to be extremely light for that to happen.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Just do an extremely complicated deformation on the ground plane so it splats in, like a bowling ball in wet sand

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

No squash control, no deformation. Just dropping.

They reviewed them today. Management decided the people who messed with the spacing on the heavier ball don't understand the fundamentals of movement. They're either getting laid off or moved to the layout department.

I think the exercise was designed as a way to make it easy to lay off a certain amount of people since they needed to cull staff. This was a way to make it seem justified.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ccs posted:

No squash control, no deformation. Just dropping.

They reviewed them today. Management decided the people who messed with the spacing on the heavier ball don't understand the fundamentals of movement. They're either getting laid off or moved to the layout department.

I think the exercise was designed as a way to make it easy to lay off a certain amount of people since they needed to cull staff. This was a way to make it seem justified.

What the gently caress. This is a goddamn trap. They set up a ridiculous situation with certain expectations and rigged it to fail.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah and this way management had a justification for why they laid them off. They can say they didn't have fundamental knowledge pertaining to job as opposed to that they ran out of work. So they don't have to pay out anything to the people who were permanent employees.

It's super shady.They also laid off a bunch of designers/story artists.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's like a sure goddamn sign to quit the company even if I werent fired

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

edit- probably shouldn't get too detailed on inter-company stuff.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 4, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this feels like a pretty cut and clear labour violation here, but guess that would depend on which country you're in. :\

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I thought that was a student situation and not a loving employment test.

What the gently caress.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If you weren't a person fired you should 100% start looking for a new job right now. That's not a place you want to work at. Godspeed.

Like, layoffs happen, it sucks but everyone knows it's part of a career, and you're a very lucky person if it never happens to you. It's already happened to me and I'm very early in my career - doing what they did is WAY more scummy than a standard layoff.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Get out of that pit, You should NOT accept that as normal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah this is criminal

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
That's why I left Atlantic Canada 20+ years ago.

Anything media related on the Canadian east coast is a complete 3 ring circus. If you have to stay in Canada do anything possible to get a job in Vancouver/Montreal. Save up and quit the Halifax job and go to a city that isn't a one studio town.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 3, 2017

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Hoooooly gently caress man, and I thought the client drama I have to deal with is bad... I’m really sorry you’re stuck at a place like that, please take care of your sanity and Godspeed on getting out of there eventually!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

BonoMan posted:

I thought that was a student situation and not a loving employment test.

What the gently caress.

Wow, yeah, hence my jokey response. That is super hosed up.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Made this during a stream today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Vilgefartz posted:

Made this during a stream today

gently caress you

But no really that's pretty impressive. Texture/layering of the feathers is bonkers. Was this Zbrush, I assume? Also, post that stream link!