Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Is PoE at least easy to start playing? If it's free, I'm more willing to try it, but I'm not keen on the idea of being slaughtered early on. And is it a permadeath sort of game? Because permadeath suuuuucks.

Levels 1-30 aren't hard, but the challenge does ramp up. Permadeath is a mode you can play but you definitely don't have to.

There are a metric buttload of skills and most are viable to make a build around if you want to and know what you're doing. People aren't kidding about the variety.

If someone enjoys Diablo 2 I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PoE to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Agent355 posted:

Seems an odd hill to die on but you do you.

Genderlocked classes are poo poo with no reason to exist and it's pretty odd to defend them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

POE is the absolute best ARPG on the market if you want to do some serious end game stuff, and it's still really really really drat good if you don't like end game and just want to play through the campaign once.

My only real gripe about the end game stuff is that if you want to play you basically have to do some trading and interact with the economy some, because self found is just too difficult. That said the game has some tools to make dealing with trading VERY painless compared to most games, definitely the best trading I've ever done, but I still don't like trading a whole lot.

Grim Dawn also deserves honorable mention for being the best ARPG that isn't PoE.

Who What Now posted:

Genderlocked classes are poo poo with no reason to exist and it's pretty odd to defend them.

They also have absolutely no impact on the game at all and this game isn't really about character customization so I don't know why it should matter in the slightest and I think you're just being argumentative for no reason.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Agent355 posted:

genderlocking poo poo in a game where you don't play an actual character is dumb and i refuse to support it, so yeah, i guess i'm doing the new goon buzzword of "dying on this hill"

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I mean sure, but it literally doesn't effect anything, it just prevents the developers from having to do voice lines twice?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

in this particular instance, it affects my ability to explore all of the build options available and play a woman, but i understand if that isn't as important to you (or other people) as it is to me

i've been forced to play men as the default for as long as i've played games and i'm sick of it tbh

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Agent355 posted:

They also have absolutely no impact on the game at all

I think not allowing women to be X class or men to be Y is an impact on the game. Unless you're using "impact" in a completely different way than all known English meanings.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Who What Now posted:

The classes are characters. Each one reacts differently to events in the game and has their own dialogue and personality. They even each have a unique background.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

that fully describes the diablo 3 characters and it would be ludicrous if they were genderlocked

characters you play in an arpg aren't really "characters" for something like this the way they would be in a genuinely story-driven game

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

They also cost money and time to create and you can't just put in one line of code that makes gender flipped version of characters in this game that comes from a small new zealand company.

The game was kickstarted to begin with and never had a huge budget and while it's been under constant development and doing well for 5 years there are still very real concerns about where money is spent and the devloper remains small. There are issues that prevent this beyond ignorance.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's great that Blizzard went the extra length to do that but it would absolutely not be ridiculous if they hadn't; Diablo 1 and 2 didn't, either?

I don't blame an indie studio for not wanting to model and voice an entire second set of characters, but I also don't blame a player for not wanting to play a gender locked character

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's not a priority for them, and that's their choice; similarly, it's my choice not to support developers who do not have this as a remote priority

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
i see imp zone is leaking

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Agent355 posted:

They also cost money and time to create and you can't just put in one line of code that makes gender flipped version of characters in this game that comes from a small new zealand company.

The game was kickstarted to begin with and never had a huge budget and while it's been under constant development and doing well for 5 years there are still very real concerns about where money is spent and the devloper remains small. There are issues that prevent this beyond ignorance.

Ubisoft tried this defense that it would be way too expensive to model a playable female character in Assassins Creed.

It was dumb then too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

i see imp zone is leaking
Literally none of these are Imp Zone posters, weirdo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Ubisoft tried this defense that it would be way too expensive to model a playable female character in Assassins Creed.

It was dumb then too.

You're asking for seven additional voiced characters to be added to a free game made by a tiny independent studio.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Each class is a character, and there are men and women characters you can be, so I guess to me it feels more like complaining you can't be a lady Junkrat or dude Symmetra from overwatch

That's just how I feel about it though; other people's opinions are valid as well, and they aren't wrong to feel that way

Comparing Grinding Gear Games' budget to ubi's is pretty lol though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Leavemywife posted:

In either case, I've learned that Path of Exile doesn't sound like something I'd have fun with.

In other news, I'm playing Resident Evil 3 again, and I'll be goddamned if it isn't satisfying to blow a group of zombies up with a red barrel.

Resident Evil 3's ammo crafting system is surprisingly great and still ahead of a lot of similar games in that it's a few simple components but making the same type of weapon ammo repeatedly makes you better at it. So you're never at a point where you're screwed due to being out ammo for a weapon and if you have one type you prefer then you make more and better ammo for it so you are free to continue using it.

Who What Now posted:

And how many are actually unique and how many are just variations of one another but with different elemental affinity or some other minor tweaks swapped in?

That's one more reason why I love Supergiant Games. Path of Exile may have a huge, impressive-looking skill tree but almost all of them are piddly stat bonuses with zero perceptible effect on your gameplay. Meanwhile, Transistor might have "only" 16 Functions but each one can modify all other 15 and they can be stacked and switched between active and passive roles and almost every possible build is not only viable but thrilling to play as. And New Game+ is fantastic because they encourage you to break the game wide open in ways that are fun and logically consistent.

Agent355 posted:

He said as he stubbornly died on the hill.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's an ARPG. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost $40 mil to find seven women who can say "I'm out of Mana".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also PoE would be a much better game if they would fix the deeply unfun bosses and realize that "play with a guide or scrap your character" isn't good design. There's some really clever design in it, and its core gameplay is good if you like isometric action RPGs. And that high-level difficulty would be more interesting if you could change your passive skill tree whenever. You'd still be limited in your build choices by your class (sort of), skill gems, and equipment, and rather than have to throw yourself at a wall over and over before you decide your character has been rendered unplayable, you could mess around with new builds and try to solve your weaknesses to get past a spike. It would solve a lot of issues, and add a new addictive layer of gameplay by encouraging players to keep tweaking when they encounter something they can't beat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

someone awful. posted:

Each class is a character, and there are men and women characters you can be, so I guess to me it feels more like complaining you can't be a lady Junkrat or dude Symmetra from overwatch

That's just how I feel about it though; other people's opinions are valid as well, and they aren't wrong to feel that way

Comparing Grinding Gear Games' budget to ubi's is pretty lol though

playing a lady junkrat would rule though

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

playing a lady junkrat would rule though

You are not wrong, at all

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

It's an ARPG. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost $40 mil to find seven women who can say "I'm out of Mana".

Four women, three men, lots more dialogue than you're suggesting.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Red Wizard is About to Die on This Hill

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

poo poo, I forgot "I leveled up!" and "I'm low on health" too.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Somfin posted:

quit taking the bait friend.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Who What Now posted:

There's actually a surprising amount of story in the game that I'm pretty sure nobody pays attention to, it is all fully voiced though

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

You seriously have no idea how much work goes into making a game and it shows.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

You seriously have no idea how much work goes into making a game and it shows.

I know that adding in a "lady" option isn't a literal impossibility, so it seems I know a tiny bit more than you.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also PoE would be a much better game if they would fix the deeply unfun bosses and realize that "play with a guide or scrap your character" isn't good design. There's some really clever design in it, and its core gameplay is good if you like isometric action RPGs. And that high-level difficulty would be more interesting if you could change your passive skill tree whenever. You'd still be limited in your build choices by your class (sort of), skill gems, and equipment, and rather than have to throw yourself at a wall over and over before you decide your character has been rendered unplayable, you could mess around with new builds and try to solve your weaknesses to get past a spike. It would solve a lot of issues, and add a new addictive layer of gameplay by encouraging players to keep tweaking when they encounter something they can't beat.

a lot of enjoyment in poe comes from finding the overpowered skill and item combinations often not intended by the developer. Discovering something incredibly good often feels like you're "getting one over" on them.

PoE is the dota of arpgs, high learning curve and you'll probably need a guide the first few times but once you know it it's really fun. saying that their deliberate decisions should be changed goes against the core philosophy of why the game appeals to so many people.

if the game isn't for you then that's fine, what you're describing is more or less diablo 3, where there are no wrong choices so every choice is equally rewarding but also incredibly shallow because of it.

every single skill gem can be used to beat the game and progress far into it. instead of having to completely reroll your character your shortcomings can probably be fixed by changing your support gems or getting more life/survivability on gear. following a guide alleviates the trial and error gameplay many people experience.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Just do it like a Zelda game and have every character make weird noises while the text scrolls on screen

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Edit: double post

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

nael posted:

Just do it like a Zelda game and have every character make weird noises while the text scrolls on screen

I would personally be fine with this option

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

PoE is the dota of arpgs,

drat and i thought i didn't like poe

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Anyways, I've been playing the experimental indie game Everything and while it's surprisingly fun and compelling as a game (think the changes of scale and collecting of Karamari Damacy only instead of discrete timed levels it's just a chill sandbox) one little thing I love is that when you finished the "tutorial" (which is basically the actual story/campaign of the game and spans several hours) they basically unlock all the limitations on the game and let you fool around with it as you please like some kind of in-game debug mode where you can grow and shrink and multiply and reduce objects with the press of a button. It even has a lot of unique and fun ways to blot out the screen and explain why things are vanishing when you inevitably fill the world with so much crap that it has to start despawning things to keep from melting down.

And the animation system is charming as hell, since the game is about taking control of hundreds and hundreds of different objects and creatures it would be totally infeasible to give everyone specific animations for walking/swimming/flying so instead they remain stiff and just roll around head over heels like perpetually-rolling dice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSOajUvpDXI&t=140s

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

PoE is the dota of arpgs

Really, really not selling me here

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Really, really not selling me here

"poe has the complexity and depth of dota without the stress, competition, or toxicity of other players"

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I recently started playing Dark Souls 3 again (after more than a year of not touching it) because I wanted to go through the DLC and I like how in The Ringed City there are those built in messages (i.e. ones that aren't player written) telling you to "Take The Plunge". And when you get to a drop where it looks like it would be fatal, the message there makes sure to note "You won't die" :unsmith:

Edit: It's not a story related spoiler at all but seeing as how one of the fun parts about the Souls games is discovering things on your own, I thought I'd just hide it to keep the surprise for anyone who has yet to play through it.

homewrecker has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Nov 21, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

rodbeard posted:

I always forget that game exists I should really try it out.

be warned, its easy to lose a lot of time in that game. i know what im talking about.

e: Oh lord there were a lot of angry posts about poe after that one. ive played more poe than anyone and all i can say is, its a good game made by a good company, check it out, you may like it. if you dont, thats cool too.

:)

funmanguy has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
PYF little things in games: I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang ARPG