Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Adar posted:

if you just pick a random time and an exchange and dump 1.8 million dollars onto it, yeah you'll tank the price significantly. you would also tank the price of IBM, wheat, and the USD/EUR ratio doing the same thing, but that doesn't happen because people trading those things aren't usually retarded (it does happen to crypto anywhere from a few to a lot of times a year though)

wellactually no, and there's a good reason it wouldn't: those have anything resembling trading volume. No crypto, including Bitcoin, does.

Also, the way the crypto "price" is set up is as a weighted average of exchange prices. Sooooo you have to worry not about the thin books across all exchanges, but the thin book on each exchange. It's like an arrangement built to exacerbate volatility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Really? Search results seem to show that you've only talked about it twice, and in both cases you're just mentioning that Coinbase is bitlicensed, not really what the bitlicense entails:

I did a full forums search. What other threads did you post details in? Did you maybe use some other term that I should search for?
i have quoted from it three times in this thread iirc so your search has missed some posts

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

divabot posted:

wellactually no, and there's a good reason it wouldn't: those have anything resembling trading volume. No crypto, including Bitcoin, does.

Also, the way the crypto "price" is set up is as a weighted average of exchange prices. Sooooo you have to worry not about the thin books across all exchanges, but the thin book on each exchange. It's like an arrangement built to exacerbate volatility.
i saw hundreds of bitcoin get bought up at $8000 in just a couple minutes yesterday on just one exchange. it was about $8 million worth to go from $7950 to over $8010

selling 200 bitcoin would actually not take that long and would not move the price that much as long as you didn't market sell all at one time. and actually i have seen bids bigger than 200 BTC

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

You could do it all at once but it'd crash the market back down to $7000~

I mentioned this earlier: the fact that there's enough volume to sell the BTC for USD doesn't mean you have the USD on your bank account yet. It still sits as a virtual number on Coinbase.

How easy is it to actually withdraw your USD from Coinbase?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

amotea posted:

I mentioned this earlier: the fact that there's enough volume to sell the BTC for USD doesn't mean you have the USD on your bank account yet. It still sits as a virtual number on Coinbase.

it's easy to withdraw USD up to the daily limit, which is $10k for individuals and $50k for institutions. you can request a higher limit if you contact them but i'm not sure how easy that is to get

withdrawing $1.8 million will take six months at that daily limit so you'd need to qualify as an institution or ask them to increase the limit

they put USD balances in segregated custodial bank accounts at an FDIC insured institution so at least some of it would be safe in the meantime. not sure if they have multiple banks they use... if it's just one then only $250k will be insured by FDIC.

anyway that might be a reason to only cash out in lots, $250k at a time

edit: actually the best thing to do is to cash out on gemini, they have no limits for wire transfers in or out, according to their website https://gemini24.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/209113906-What-are-the-transfer-limits-

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 20, 2017

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hmm yes.

quote:

I withdrew from my euro wallet to my bank account which was already verified, 17 days have passed and the money just vanished, no money on my eur wallet nor on my bank account. Support is non existent. Can I sue these guys? It's called theft after all.

quote:

I am waiting for 23 days now. Contacted them through Reddit, Mail, Support portal and got one generic answer. Then I lost my nerve and raised a complaint with BBB and CFBP. Yesterday they responded me through BBB that they acknowledge my problem and will try to solve it, which I rejected and demanded the immediate solution. That is all I know and what I did.

quote:

It says pending and says that the withdrawal was supposed to occur in the 5th of august... I have done nothing wrong. I deposited 5 euros from my bank account tl verify it, I have verified every single thing they want etc. Still no reply from the support.

quote:

This is bullshit from their part. I did a second Withdrawal, using the same Coinbase EUR wallet and same Bank Account but only 1EUR. Surprise surprise, I got the 0.85 EUR (they kept 0.15 as fee) in my Bank account the next day... Looks like they keep into Pending only large amounts, not small ones

quote:

With the increased business Coinbase is seeing their payments department is severely bogged down. They issue a broad 3-5 business day return but almost everyone waits longer than this. I am still in the process of trying to receive my funds back and these are the steps I've taken: 1) File a complaint with Coinbase (Immediately) https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/emails/new 2) File Complaint with CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) (Wait 3-5 days from CB complaint..or not) CFPB P.O. Box 4503 Iowa City, Iowa 52244 Fax (855) 237-2392 (855) 411-CFPB (2372) http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/ 3) File Complaint with BBB (Wait 3-5 days from CB complaint..or not) https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started Other Resources: Coinbase Support Number - (888) 908–7930 They will not help with wire transfers just simply tell you it is "processing" by and large a waste of time Metropolitan Bank - (212)-365-6700 99 Park Avenue New York, NY Coinbase's Bank Info You'll Need -Sender -Sender Bank -IMAD number (Can retrieve from your bank or Metro number above) -Amount -Date Sent This can be very frustrating especially seeing the BTC price rise and watch unrealized gains flying out the window as your money sits in cyberspace. Hope this helps people in the same situation.

quote:

I can't be the only person who's getting the silent treatment from Coinbase with a greyed out sell button, can I?

They'll let me buy as much bitcoin as I want, but they won't let me sell not 1 of my 20+ bitcoins on my account. So, here I'm sitting with over $3K profit, trying to sell, and not only do they not allow me to sell, but there's no one around to give me an explanation. The chat feature isn't running and they won't answer email.

This is criminal if you ask me. I'm sure this bullshit is covered in their TOS (read: legalized criminality), but I don't care.

This is my money. When you tell me that I can't withdraw my bitcoins and I can't sell my bitcions...well then, that tells me that they aren't really my bitcoins. So what did I pay over $5K for? Some numbers on a screen?

I'm wondering if it will be convenient for coinbase if I sell when it's back down in the $200 ~ $250 range, or if they'll only allow me to buy "bitcoins" (if that's what they're really selling there) again.

What a joke that place is. No wonder why bitcoin hasn't went mainstream yet, when the world's biggest bitcoin exchange blocks you from withdrawing or selling your "own" (again, I question this) bitcoin.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/6uo7o9/withdraw_taking_too_long/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/6nvjcd/for_those_of_you_in_line_to_get_support_if_its/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

this is actually good for bitcoin,

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

amotea posted:

It's extremely easy...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

amotea posted:

So what did I pay over $5K for? Some numbers on a screen?

Yes, yes you did.

quote:

it's easy to withdraw USD up to the daily limit, which is $10k for individuals and $50k for institutions. you can request a higher limit if you contact them but i'm not sure how easy that is to get

withdrawing $1.8 million will take six months at that daily limit

I get that if you started with $6k and suddenly have this much money, it's worth the hassle, but can you even imagine a bank surviving that only let you withdraw $10k a day? Bitcoin is so stupid.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Minimalist Program posted:

Yeah it was a good time.

You seem like a normal dude so let me ask you: What website did you withdrawal your cash from and how long did it take? Everyone else is basically saying, "It's easy to cash out!" or "No it's not!"

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I like how people are still claiming Bitcoin is the perfect store of value, when there are massive barriers to cashing out when you want it, and it is entirely possible that if the Chinese miners suddenly grind to a halt then your wallet is worth exactly zero. I thought that was one of the exact fears that drove preppers away from dollars.

Powershift posted:

Most of them just stall until they're completely broke.

This time it's different because....

I day traded Bitcoin a couple times and made a few bucks off market swings. I Bitcoined correctly. If you are up on Bitcoin it is probably time to sell.

Even the most reliable sources I used to have in the market are turning to conspiracy mode lately, saying that Bitcoin is under attack by insidious forces and things well get better as soon as the bad men go away.

If only this market was regulated so as to keep those nefarious types in check!

:agesilaus:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How insanely dumb do you have to be as a doomsday prepper to invest in Bitcoin for that purpose. It's usefulness depends upon infrastructure and a doomsday scenario precludes access to a decent infrastructure

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Goodpancakes posted:

How insanely dumb do you have to be as a doomsday prepper to invest in Bitcoin for that purpose. It's usefulness depends upon infrastructure and a doomsday scenario precludes access to a decent infrastructure

Right, you want to be in an area with lots of fresh, clean water and low crime.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Goodpancakes posted:

If your Doomsday scenario is that the US us going to fall out of power in favor of Russia and China where all the miners live, it could work.

Not that this would actually happen, but it makes sense at least as far as writing a near-future thriller novel. Which is how most preppers view reality.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

These are either just statist shills astroturfing against bitcoin or isolated cases which clearly won’t happen to you, were you smart enough to join bitscoin revolution

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

It's almost like they are paying people who cash out with the cash from new purchases, and sometimes that doesn't line up quite well enough.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
If you think about it for 5 minutes, it’s obvious once Bitcoin reaches the top, it can only go one way, and that’s up, Up, UP!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Inept posted:

Yes, yes you did.

I get that if you started with $6k and suddenly have this much money, it's worth the hassle, but can you even imagine a bank surviving that only let you withdraw $10k a day? Bitcoin is so stupid.
it could have something to do with the Bank Secrecy Act since $10,000 is the threshold that banks are required to check ID and generate a report. coinbase isn't a bank but they still have to comply with anti-money laundering laws.

edit: hmm actually that doesn't make sense, if you can withdraw $10k then obviously they aren't worried about that

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Uranium 235 posted:

it could have something to do with the Bank Secrecy Act since $10,000 is the threshold that banks are required to check ID and generate a report. coinbase isn't a bank but they still have to comply with anti-money laundering laws.

edit: hmm actually that doesn't make sense, if you can withdraw $10k then obviously they aren't worried about that

Uhh pretty sure withdrawing 9,999k a day for 6 months is “structuring” and specifically defined as illegal

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uranium 235 posted:

Also if you take more than $10k in a way deliberately designed to avoid those reports, that's called structuring and is also illegal.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

CassandraZara posted:

Also if you take more than $10k in a way deliberately designed to avoid those reports, that's called structuring and is also illegal.

Poker sites like to send exactly $9500 out max for withdrawals sometimes, but I've always just declared all the income and never had a problem. I assume if you are being transparent about it and not doing it to hide income they probably don't come after you? I dunno though

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stefan Prodan posted:

Poker sites like to send exactly $9500 out max for withdrawals sometimes, but I've always just declared all the income and never had a problem. I assume if you are being transparent about it and not doing it to hide income they probably don't come after you? I dunno though

If the poker site has that as it's limit then there's nothing you can do about it, would be my argument. If they're willing to do business in the United States then they're already playing fast and loose with the law.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Uhh pretty sure withdrawing 9,999k a day for 6 months is “structuring” and specifically defined as illegal
yeah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

i have quoted from it three times in this thread iirc so your search has missed some posts

Instead of just saying "what I'm talking about totally exists" could you please suggest modifications to my search criteria?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Lmbo at appealing to authorities and regulations

Super lmbo at someone thinking the bbb is the slightest bit official

Holy loving lmbo

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 21, 2017

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lol you guys are going to love this

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/932812950255165441

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
FUD now is the time to buy

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I wonder what the odds are that they just straight up didn't have that $31 million worth of tether in cash, so someone "hacked" them and now it's all back to normal don't worry about it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I guess you can say Bitfinex is untethered :grin:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We got hacked but don't worry we just won't redeem any of those tethers*

* or any tethers at all, per our legal page

e: also lol Bitfinex suspended USDT withdrawals a couple of days ago, so presumably the hack has been known about for some time but they just got around to notifying everyone else with what amounts to a blog post lol

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 21, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

We got hacked but don't worry we just won't redeem any of those tethers*

* or any tethers at all, per our legal page

e: also lol Bitfinex suspended USDT withdrawals a couple of days ago, so presumably the hack has been known about for some time but they just got around to notifying everyone else with what amounts to a blog post lol

It happened on the 19th

http://omniexplorer.info/lookupadd.aspx?address=16tg2RJuEPtZooy18Wxn2me2RhUdC94N7r

Suspending USDT withdrawals is a whole different bag of snakes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What a lucky coincidence!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
BUT GUYS THESE CURRENCIES ARE TOTALLY LEGIT NO WORRIES

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bitcoiners natural state is to be owned and nature is making sure that continues

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
the price is back up they don't understand what's happening and don't care. the bitcoin cannot be stopped

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No poo poo, it turns out that the "exchanges gonna rip you off and keep getting hacked" people are 100% dumb and making ridiculous arguments, just as I have been pointing out for months!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

temple posted:

the price is back up they don't understand what's happening and don't care. the bitcoin cannot be stopped

tether was never a reason for the price to fall in the first place; if tethers are actually worthless (they are) then that would drive the price of bitcoin up, not down

the music will stop eventually but until then there's no reason for Bitfinex to stop pumping the price with fake money

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

quote:

How My $10,000 Gift Was Stolen From a Preschool’s Coinbase Account
If you are new to bitcoin or even if you are not, do you really want to do business with a company from which the theft of your bitcoin is this easy?

Here is my true story: A few weeks a go, my husband and I decided to make a $10,000 donation to a preschool in our town. His bitcoin investment was doing very well and we felt that we could afford the gift. Because of the way the tax rules work regarding donations to a nonprofit, donors can avoid capital gains taxes by directly giving property rather than selling the property and then donating cash. We contacted ****, the director of the preschool, and let her know that we wanted to make a donation of $10,000 worth of bitcoin. She was delighted, of course. But, as she was unfamiliar with bitcoin, and using online accounts in general, she asked some colleagues about which exchange to use to transfer the money into her bank account. She chose to open an account in her preschool’s name at Coinbase.

The process of opening an account, verifying the account, and connecting to a bank account at Coinbase is a long, painful process over many days and there are lots of reasons to want to have contact with Coinbase during the process. Unfortunately, Coinbase support is almost non-existent. However, I did not know this at the time. I assumed that a company as well known as Coinbase must have phone support. So I googled “coinbase phone support” and a number popped up. I gave this number to ****. It turns out that this number was a fraud. When **** called it, a man identified himself as a Coinbase support rep and asked her to go to a special Coinbase support website where he had **** enter her username, password, and the confirmation code texted to her phone.

Coinbase, by default, requires confirmation of the computer that is being used before allowing a login. They do this by sending a device confirmation email to the email address on file for the account holder. That email must be opened on the same device as that on which the browser is accessing Coinbase. At the moment, we still don’t know how the scammers managed to get around this requirement. The result is that the bitcoin is gone from ****’s preschool’s account and we are left puzzled about how this was possible given Coinbase security. The theft seems to be largely the fault of Coinbase for these reasons: Coinbase support is schockingly bad.

More funny poo poo here: https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-fra...ewtype=negative

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sounds like someone at the preschool is doing a bunch of cocaine

bitcoin and coinbase did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

amotea posted:

That email must be opened on the same device as that on which the browser is accessing Coinbase.

Yeah there's no way to actually make sure an email is being opened on the same computer as the browser.

edit: also the scammer could just have the verification email forwarded to them if it's something dumb like a long code you have to copy and paste

Inept fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 21, 2017