Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/JBennethJournal/status/932724198664953856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it’s the second part of that which was important: he found people who were easily manipulated. People like Squeaky Fromme suffered from mental illness, homelessness, and drug addiction or alcoholism. They were people that Manson could easily pretend to understand and have solutions to all their problems.

To an outside observer who doesn’t have all the issues his Family did, the idea of a Beatles album being a secret message about the apocalypse with instructions on how to survive a coming race war seems completely ludicrous.

Seconding the rec for the You Must Remember This series on Manson.

You're overlooking a huge component which is that one of the defining features of a cult is that members are isolated and broken down. So yeah, Manson recruited vulnerable people that were easier to manipulate and control, but he also isolated and brutalized them into being more biddable and following whatever he said.

He tried the same manipulations on people like Dennis Wilson who had been abused and had problems with drugs and alcohol, but because he couldn't isolate him and brainwash him, Wilson eventually saw Manson as a dangerous maniac and was able to walk away.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/932454818546896896

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Picnic Princess posted:

Dude I live in Alberta. Our social and political lives revolve around how much pipeline dick you can suck.

So how much is your record?

PS I'm from Pennsylvania so I only suck shale gas dick

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That is not the first time I've heard garlic as an antibiotic and I still don't understand or believe that works.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Len posted:

That is not the first time I've heard garlic as an antibiotic and I still don't understand or believe that works.

It's the allicin in the garlic that's the antibiotic. But you only get the benefits if you eat it raw. Cooked garlic causes the allicin to die and decay into other compounds.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Len posted:

TMI for delicate male minds:

It is also touted as an antifungal, and some women recommend making a garlic clove + string "tampon" to use overnight against yeast infections that resist the OTC creams and such.

No, I did not do so. For the first time, I was thankful that I'm allergic to garlic! :D

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Goddamn morons how do you gently caress up eating ONIONS one of the FUNDAMENTAL loving FOODS OF WESTERN CUISINE. Goddamn if you gotta have it raw at least slice it up with a nice vinaigrette and have a salad!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

TMI for delicate male minds:

It is also touted as an antifungal, and some women recommend making a garlic clove + string "tampon" to use overnight against yeast infections that resist the OTC creams and such.

No, I did not do so. For the first time, I was thankful that I'm allergic to garlic! :D

Garlic is caustic, do not put it on your vagina overnight. I learned this in the medical thread where a patient put a garlic poultice on his dick. It was ugly.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Garlic is caustic, do not put it on your vagina overnight. I learned this in the medical thread where a patient put a garlic poultice on his dick. It was ugly.

I always thought there were too many effective modern medicines, time to cram garlic in my genitals like my forebears!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Scratch Monkey posted:

So how much is your record?

PS I'm from Pennsylvania so I only suck shale gas dick

If you criticize pipelines in any way, you are going to be straight up attacked by dozens of strangers within minutes. I've seen friendships end over pipeline discussion. Saying that maybe you shouldn't put a pipeline through the headwaters that provide drinking water for half the province is enough to get death threats. Even if you say you support pipelines, you'll get attacked for not supporting them enough.

People are insane here. I got attacked visciously as a commie anti-pipeline oval office for suggesting that having a pipeline cut through a national park was not a good idea. I didn't say there should be no pipelines ever, just that national parks should be excluded from paths.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You forgot the brillo pad finisher!

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Another post about drinking pee.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

nothing to see here. *whistles*

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Wapole Languray posted:

Goddamn morons how do you gently caress up eating ONIONS one of the FUNDAMENTAL loving FOODS OF WESTERN CUISINE. Goddamn if you gotta have it raw at least slice it up with a nice vinaigrette and have a salad!

Something tells me these guys aren't much for salads

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Picnic Princess posted:

If you criticize pipelines in any way, you are going to be straight up attacked by dozens of strangers within minutes. I've seen friendships end over pipeline discussion. Saying that maybe you shouldn't put a pipeline through the headwaters that provide drinking water for half the province is enough to get death threats. Even if you say you support pipelines, you'll get attacked for not supporting them enough.

People are insane here. I got attacked visciously as a commie anti-pipeline oval office for suggesting that having a pipeline cut through a national park was not a good idea. I didn't say there should be no pipelines ever, just that national parks should be excluded from paths.

When I lived in Edmonton a complete stranger stopped me on the street once to rant for several minutes about environmentalists or something out to destroy our jobs.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Figures i'd be a lovely water dragon :sigh: i wonder if the person who made this image is an Aries

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picnic Princess posted:

It's not so much pipelines as it is daring to criticize oil companies altogether. Those huge petroleum corporations graciously provide jobs to hurtin' Albertans you know!

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You should eat lots of garlic because it's loving delicious, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rogue 7 posted:

:yeah:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The funniest part to me isn't the onion eating, it's the fact that these dudes seem to believe that by eating onions, they'll become a force to reckon with in the political arena because testosterone.

Because if there's one group we all see in politics all the time, it's bodybuilders.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Rogue 7 posted:

If you are in/near San Francisco there's a garlic-themed restaurant in North Beach called The Stinking Rose. It's pretty great. It's not a goofy gimmick place it's actually very tastefully done. (The garlic vodka grows on you after a few sips)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mak0rz posted:

It's not so much pipelines as it is daring to criticize oil companies altogether. Those huge petroleum corporations graciously provide jobs to hurtin' Albertans you know!

What's fantastic is I'm planning on working for national or provincial parks or some conservation NGO, and I vote NDP so I'm the ultimate enemy of Alberta.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

The funniest part to me isn't the onion eating, it's the fact that these dudes seem to believe that by eating onions, they'll become a force to reckon with in the political arena because testosterone.

Because if there's one group we all see in politics all the time, it's bodybuilders.

I mean photographic evidence points to them looking like malnourished 14 year olds so they're probably downing onion slop in the hopes it'll make them look normal and not pathetic

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Worked for this bloke

https://i.imgur.com/5omTgMt.mp4

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Puppy Time posted:

Fortunately, most of the insane people that like animals are insane in the direction of "EVERYTHING MUST BE PERFECT FOR THESE THINGS I WILL ORDER MY LIFE AROUND SERVING THEM!!!" so at least the animals have a pretty good time, even if the owners' relationships suffer for it.

😺Meow. Meow.😸 🙀🙀PURR!!!🙀🙀🙀🙀💦💦💦💦💦💦

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I've bitten into a raw onion once. It wasn't that bad actually.

In my defense I did it because a friend dared me to, so of course I had to do it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

I'll never get used to this, no matter how often I see it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair his reaction seems to be a nod of "Not bad" so he may have been asked to do it as a stunt, as opposed to doing it regularly. Also the other guy's expression appears to be "I can't believe he just did that..."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair his reaction seems to be a nod of "Not bad" so he may have been asked to do it as a stunt, as opposed to doing it regularly. Also the other guy's expression appears to be "I can't believe he just did that..."

No, former Prime Minister of Australia Tony Abbott was known for eating onions as a sort of parlor trick, and his Attorney General George Brandis was familiar with this stunt.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
When I was in middle school we briefly hosted a French foreign exchange student who would eat onions like apples. He thought it was the funniest thing that we were weirded out by it, but maybe he was just really dedicated to messing with us.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Raw onion isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be. You can put them in Greek salads and stuff.

Biting into a whole one like an apple isn't particularly tasty but it's also not disgusting. I guess it has a nice crunchy texture?

I don't know if it's customary in France to actually routinely eat onions like apples

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Deltasquid posted:

Raw onion isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be. You can put them in Greek salads and stuff.

Usually you use red onions rather than brown onions though.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

BioEnchanted posted:

no that's just Tony

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Usually you use red onions rather than brown onions though.

Jesus gently caress people put all manner of raw onion in all manner of food all over the globe (except maybe in the US who knows or cares what the gently caress they do with their so-called food) and have done so for thousands of years.

Most people don't eat them whole though, except for the small ones you get in Spring I mean they're so small why bother chopping them up :shrug:.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MissEchelon posted:

no that's just Tony

He doesn't even take the paper off! :gonk:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Deltasquid posted:

I don't know if it's customary in France to actually routinely eat onions like apples

It isn't.

That said raw onion rules, but mostly when it's cut into pieces and added to dishes and not just chomped into like an apple.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I ate one of those little grape-sized onions raw at a Chinese restaurant like 18 years ago. Totally by accident, had no idea my food had whole raw babby onions in it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A couple rings of raw red onion in my burger/sandwich is probably as far I'll go in terms of eating raw onion.

edit: thought this was afp thread

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Raw onion and strong blue cheese make a delicious sandwich, but you can't eat one if you're going to be around other people for a few hours. Not sure they'll make you more manly, though. Smelling like you let one rip isn't the same thing as getting ripped.