Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I've still not found a way to allow me to scroll my mouse wheel on the tab bar to switch tabs. Anyone?

Also, I think the only SALR feature I am really missing is the feature that put threads with unread topics first in my bookmarks. Is there any way to get this feature through a Grease/Violent monkey script?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I've still not found a way to allow me to scroll my mouse wheel on the tab bar to switch tabs. Anyone?
Impossible with WebExtensions. Unless you use Tree Style Tab and install another addon that enables wheel scrolling in TST itself, and not the actual tab bar.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

xamphear posted:

Impossible with WebExtensions. Unless you use Tree Style Tab and install another addon that enables wheel scrolling in TST itself, and not the actual tab bar.

Well crap. Guess it's just a muscle memory to unlearn then.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This update has turned into Fire-"a web page is slowing down your browser, what would you like to do"-Fox

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

xamphear posted:

....wow. That is just absurd.

Looks like an auto hotkey script will be needed for when I eventually move off of ESR if even Chrome can't do that. Unless they got rid of tab switch hotkeys as well?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Buff Skeleton posted:

I've got SomethingAwful fixes installed in my FF and it gives me full breadcrumbs. I think it does a fair few other things as well.

I'm not sure if it's officially maintained anywhere, but here's the code from my install:

https://pastebin.com/BjfJy6E0

I'm a new FF convert from Chrome -- how do I apply this userscript to FF?

I've been pretty impressed with the speed of FF 57. It reminds me of old Opera 12, though no browser has been nearly as customizable since.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

lowcrabdiet posted:

I'm a new FF convert from Chrome -- how do I apply this userscript to FF?

I've been pretty impressed with the speed of FF 57. It reminds me of old Opera 12, though no browser has been nearly as customizable since.

You'd need Greasemonkey or a similar userscript loading extension, then just use the extension to write a new script, paste the code, name and save it, then enable it, and that should do the trick!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

If anyone else is missing YouTube Centre, I started using Enhancer for YouTube and it's good poo poo.

The main things I want is to force play in max res and to have the player fill most the screen and have a dark background. It manages all three.

It also cuts out ads. Let's you run custom themes. Stops play in unfocused tabs. All the good poo poo.

as far as i can see the new youtube layout allows you to set the player to fill the width of the window (and it stays that way), actually remembers that you want it to play at max resolution, and offers a dark theme. obviously if you have more esoteric needs than an extension is warranted but it actually fixed pretty much all my issues with the youtube playback experience

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So is there any way to actually change the goddamn keybindings in 57? You'd think this would be something relatively simple, but nope, apparently not. The few extensions I've tried either don't work at all or don't seem able to alter the existing shortcuts (like you can't make ctrl+n open a new tab since that's already bound to new window). :geno:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Asimo posted:

So is there any way to actually change the goddamn keybindings in 57? You'd think this would be something relatively simple, but nope, apparently not. The few extensions I've tried either don't work at all or don't seem able to alter the existing shortcuts (like you can't make ctrl+n open a new tab since that's already bound to new window). :geno:

That has also been my experience. Extensions also cannot add keybindings to the context menu, nor is there any way to make an extension with multiple top-level context menu entries.

It's a lot more clicks to do what I'm used to doing. This is all stuff that should have been ready day one and shows how much of a rush they were in to force 57 out the door.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

as far as i can see the new youtube layout allows you to set the player to fill the width of the window (and it stays that way), actually remembers that you want it to play at max resolution, and offers a dark theme. obviously if you have more esoteric needs than an extension is warranted but it actually fixed pretty much all my issues with the youtube playback experience

Yeah, same here. A ton of stuff with YouTube and Facebook didn't work with previous versions of Firebox, but now that's all sorted out. And even when YouTube does something to gently caress up, Firefox is up there with 'something is slowing this poo poo down' drop down that, when you press 'stop it,' it loving moves. I can see why Mozilla wanted this out and about. Now for a few extensions to catch up.

But at this point, I don't even think I need Multi-Row tabs. I wouldn't mind them but outside of SALR I think I'm set currently.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just saw a commercial on TV for Firefox 57. Huh.

Anyway if anyone else cared about this:

Knormal posted:

• Addition: Apparently you can't middle-click in a page to load a url that's in the clipboard anymore, I'm not sure if that was just a Linux thing or not but I used that all the time.
there's a setting in about :config for it, set middlemouse.contentLoadURL to true.

I'm finding 57 okay so far, there's a few little things I miss but the userChrome tweaks still let me customize the interface more than any other browser so I'm satisfied. I won't be jumping ship. I just don't get why they wouldn't make options in Settings to change those things, since they're still possible, rather than making me edit a text file. I don't mind doing it, but that's way beyond what the average user's going to want to do. But then again I guess the "average user" is coming from Chrome anyway now and won't care about those style choices.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Noscript is taking longer than I thought.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
I used to see tweets embedded in the forums. Tweets are no longer embedded. I don't remember if this was a native forums thing or part of a greasemonkey script. Is this a problem with my forums settings, firefox settings, or script settings?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ArcaneMan posted:

I used to see tweets embedded in the forums. Tweets are no longer embedded. I don't remember if this was a native forums thing or part of a greasemonkey script. Is this a problem with my forums settings, firefox settings, or script settings?

I've had tweets fail to embed due to both tracking protection and umatrix.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So is there no more browser.tabs.CloseButtonLoc or whatever it was called? How do I move my tabs out of the status bar to under the address bar, and also make the close tab X uniformly on the far right for all tabs?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Now that FF is dumb and doesn't let you adjust the UI anymore how on earth do I get rid of that something - visit part of the "awesome" bar search results because I never want that and hate it and had it gone until 57?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

LethalGeek posted:

Now that FF is dumb and doesn't let you adjust the UI anymore how on earth do I get rid of that something - visit part of the "awesome" bar search results because I never want that and hate it and had it gone until 57?

Get comfortable using the remote debugger and userChrome.css, because Mozilla isn't going to support APIs that let you hide their precious UI.

Also I guess Mozilla has written themselves a free pass to constantly break everything and claim that userChrome isn't really supported.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Does Firefox not have a global zoom option in it's settings or am I just blind?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Desuwa posted:

Get comfortable using the remote debugger and userChrome.css, because Mozilla isn't going to support APIs that let you hide their precious UI.

Also I guess Mozilla has written themselves a free pass to constantly break everything and claim that userChrome isn't really supported.

Yeah I remember seeing the dev snap back at people who said they didn't like it with "it's only a noisy minority" and going wow what a wonderful stereotype of a software developer you are.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 20, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

LethalGeek posted:

code:
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-of-type:-moz-any([type*="heuristic"],[actiontype="searchengine"],[actiontype="visiturl"],[actiontype="keyword"],[actiontype="switchtab"]),
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:-moz-any([type*="heuristic"],[actiontype="searchengine"],[actiontype="visiturl"],[actiontype="keyword"],[actiontype="switchtab"]),
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[anonid="type-icon-spacer"] {
  display: none !important;
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
  min-height: 0 !important;
  height: auto !important;
}
in userChrome.css

If you want to get rid of the search with... poo poo as well, toggle browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches to false as well in about :config.

Courtesy of the Classic Theme Restorer guy. It was the only fix I really wanted in their userChrome.css fixes package.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

LethalGeek posted:

I think this is what you want: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1099228

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That specifically is the solution that doesn't work anymore as of this version.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the new noscript sure asks for a lot of permissions that i dont like

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Relin posted:

How 'bout uMatrix? :zoid:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
same thing :/

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Relin posted:

How is this worse than the way it was before, where it just got those permissions (and more!) without asking?

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

Wheany posted:

I've had tweets fail to embed due to both tracking protection and umatrix.

It was tracking protection, thanks!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

code:
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:first-of-type:-moz-any([type*="heuristic"],[actiontype="searchengine"],[actiontype="visiturl"],[actiontype="keyword"],[actiontype="switchtab"]),
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem:-moz-any([type*="heuristic"],[actiontype="searchengine"],[actiontype="visiturl"],[actiontype="keyword"],[actiontype="switchtab"]),
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult richlistitem[anonid="type-icon-spacer"] {
  display: none !important;
}

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .autocomplete-richlistbox {
  min-height: 0 !important;
  height: auto !important;
}
in userChrome.css

If you want to get rid of the search with... poo poo as well, toggle browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches to false as well in about :config.

Courtesy of the Classic Theme Restorer guy. It was the only fix I really wanted in their userChrome.css fixes package.
You and them are great people, thank you.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Relin posted:

NoScript does a lot of low level stuff so it needs lots of permissions to do what it does.

The actual permissions themselves aren't bad but they have scary messages on them for end users because devs can use them to do bad stuff.

code:
  "permissions": [
      "contextMenus",
      "privacy",
      "storage",
      "tabs",
      "unlimitedStorage",
      "webNavigation",
      "webRequest",
      "webRequestBlocking",
      "<all_urls>"
  ],
And yeah old extensions could do all of that with no warning and much more. Like change anything on your computer since they had full filesystem access.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What's the best version should I roll back to if I don't want 57? While I do like how the new version is much quicker than Firefox of old, SALR is a dealbreaker for me and I feel lost and afraid trying to navigate without it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ballz posted:

What's the best version should I roll back to if I don't want 57? While I do like how the new version is much quicker than Firefox of old, SALR is a dealbreaker for me and I feel lost and afraid trying to navigate without it.
ESR is the build you should use, but it will only buy you a couple months before it too gets updated. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Flipperwaldt posted:

That specifically is the solution that doesn't work anymore as of this version.
Eh, I tried.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ballz posted:

52 ESR. Keep in mind that 55 did something to user profiles and you'd have to start fresh on 52.

Not 56; 56 will desperately try to update because it's not even getting patched for security anymore.

The next ESR is 59, and while the old ESR will linger for a while alongside the new, it won't be more than one or two point releases, so legacy SALR has about four or five months left to live.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

52 ESR. Keep in mind that 55 did something to user profiles and you'd have to start fresh on 52.

Not 56; 56 will desperately try to update because it's not even getting patched for security anymore.

The next ESR is 59, and while the old ESR will linger for a while alongside the new, it won't be more than one or two point releases, so legacy SALR has about four or five months left to live.

I will hold out forever on 56 and they can't make me update :colbert:

This whole thing reeks of gross project mismanagement.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

So is there no more browser.tabs.CloseButtonLoc or whatever it was called? How do I move my tabs out of the status bar to under the address bar, and also make the close tab X uniformly on the far right for all tabs?
Tabs on bottom are one of the things covered by the CustomCSS stuff, but since it's kind of hard to find stuff in there here's what you'll need to do. Find your Firefox profile, make a folder in there called "chrome", make a text file in there named "userChrome.css", and copy the below into it:
code:
/* -----------Tabs on Bottom--------------*/
/* tabs toolbar adjustment */
#main-window[tabsintitlebar] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar, 
#main-window[tabsintitlebar][sizemode="maximized"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar,
#main-window[uidensity=compact][tabsintitlebar] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar,
#main-window[uidensity=compact][tabsintitlebar][sizemode="maximized"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive="true"] ~ #TabsToolbar,
#TabsToolbar{
  -moz-padding-start: 2px !important;
}
#main-window[tabsintitlebar][sizemode="normal"]:not([inFullscreen]) #TabsToolbar {
  margin-top: 0px !important;
}

/* fix for application/hamburger button in titlebar */
#main-window[tabsintitlebar][inFullscreen] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive="true"] ~ #nav-bar  #PanelUI-button {
  visibility: collapse !important;
}

/* tab height */
#tabbrowser-tabs,
#tabbrowser-tabs > .tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox,
.tabbrowser-tabs[positionpinnedtabs] > .tabbrowser-tab[pinned] {
  min-height: 25px !important;
}

/* toolbar order (start) ************************************/
#print-preview-toolbar,
#printedit-toolbar,
#titlebar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important;
}
#navigator-toolbox #toolbar-menubar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1 !important;
}
/* navigation toolbar */
#navigator-toolbox #nav-bar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important;
}
/* bookmarks toolbar */
#navigator-toolbox #PersonalToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3 !important;
}
/* 3rd party toolbars */
#navigator-toolbox toolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 10 !important;
}
/* tabs toolbar */
#navigator-toolbox #TabsToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 100 !important;
}
/* toolbar order (end) **************************************/

/* toolbar colors */
#TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme){
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  background-image: linear-gradient(#ebebea,#ebebea) !important;
}

/* remove color overlay for lw-themes */
#main-window:not([style*='--lwt-header-image:url("resource:///chrome/browser/content/browser/defaultthemes/compact.header.png");']) :-moz-any(#nav-bar,#PersonalToolbar,#TabsToolbar):-moz-lwtheme{
  background: unset !important;
}

/* adjust compact themes */
#main-window[style*='--lwt-header-image:url("resource:///chrome/browser/content/browser/defaultthemes/compact.header.png");'] :-moz-lwtheme-brighttext #TabsToolbar:-moz-lwtheme {
  background-image: linear-gradient(#323234,#323234) !important;
}
#main-window[style*='--lwt-header-image:url("resource:///chrome/browser/content/browser/defaultthemes/compact.header.png");'] :-moz-lwtheme-darktext #TabsToolbar:-moz-lwtheme {
  background-image: linear-gradient(#f5f6f7,#f5f6f7) !important;
}

/* toolbar borders */
#main-window #navigator-toolbox::after {
  /*border-bottom: unset !important;*/
  opacity: 0 !important;
}
#TabsToolbar{
  margin-bottom: 0px !important;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #5f7181 !important;
}
#main-window[sizemode="normal"]  #TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme){
  border-left: 1px solid #5f7181 !important;
  border-right: 1px solid #5f7181 !important;
}

#main-window:not([inFullscreen="true"])[tabsintitlebar] #TabsToolbar{
  -moz-margin-end: 0px !important;
}

#main-window[tabsintitlebar] #TabsToolbar .titlebar-placeholder{
  visibility: collapse !important;
}

#main-window[tabsintitlebar][sizemode="normal"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive="true"],
#main-window[tabsintitlebar][sizemode="maximized"] #toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"][inactive="true"] {
  margin-top: 21px !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs .tab-drop-indicator {
  margin-bottom: 0px !important;
}

#PersonalToolbar:-moz-lwtheme,
#nav-bar:-moz-lwtheme {
  background-image: none !important;
  box-shadow: none !important;
  border-top: none !important;
  border-bottom: none !important;
}

/* remove tab fog */
#TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme),
#TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme)::before,
#TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme)::after {
  box-shadow: unset !important;
}

/* remove 'dragging tab' margin/padding nonsense */
#TabsToolbar[movingtab] {
  padding-bottom: unset !important;
}

#TabsToolbar[movingtab] > .tabbrowser-tabs {
  padding-bottom: unset !important;
  margin-bottom: unset !important;
}

#TabsToolbar[movingtab] + #nav-bar {
  margin-top: unset !important;
}

/* scroll buttons */
#TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme) #alltabs-button,
#TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme) .tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox > .scrollbutton-up,
#TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme) .tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox > .scrollbutton-down {
  fill: black !important;
}
I don't know about getting a single close button back, I don't see anything obvious for that on the CustomCSS site, their documentation's pretty bad.

Note that you'll probably need to change the "background-image: linear-gradient(#ebebea,#ebebea) !important;" line for your system, that's the hex value of the background color of the tab bar, which for some reason if left to default is just slightly off from the color of everything else in the UI.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

dont be mean to me posted:

This seems like a funny definition of 'extended' they're working with.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bieeardo posted:

Hm?

Each ESR cycle lasts 9 standard release cycles (which are 6 weeks each) which overlaps with the next ESR release for the last 2 cycles. So you can stay on one ESR version for 378 days versus 42 days.

In comparison, say, Firefox 3.5 got its first release June 30, 2009 and the last security patches with 3.5.19 on April 28, 2011. However it was only meant to have received patches up to August 2010 originally, as 3.6 was scheduled for and launched January 21, 2010.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bieeardo posted:

52 is from a while back so it's already most of the way into the cycle.

The main thing is they are intentionally being assholes about not scheduling an ESR around the biggest change to their ecosystem since forever. If there was a 56 ESR there would be plenty of time for the die-hards to adjust and the extension writers could take their time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When a tab finishes loading there's this little blue left-to-right pulse on it on the tab bar, as though it's telling me that it's finished loading. How do I turn that off? I would google it but I don't even know what a feature like that is called, since it's not an actual progress bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When a tab finishes loading there's this little blue left-to-right pulse on it on the tab bar, as though it's telling me that it's finished loading. How do I turn that off? I would google it but I don't even know what a feature like that is called, since it's not an actual progress bar.

I think you're talking about the 'throbber'? Though it's supposed to indicate that it is still loading rather than finished loading.