Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Last turkey I brined, I used a 5 gallon bucket and just bought one of those cheapo brining bags from the supermarket. Worked a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So my pantry cupboard overfloweth w ingredients. I recently picked up 50Lbs of flour cause it only cost me $10. The part of my cupboard that has a lot of empty space is where I keep my spices. I’ve been wondering about a wall mounted spice cupboard but everything seems custom or fairly expensive.

What options do I have? I’m hoping to limit exposure to light/sun while being mounted to the wall for space, ideally a couple rows for quarter cup and a couple rows for half cup. Could I just get and mount a wire rack and drape it w a curtain?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

So my pantry cupboard overfloweth w ingredients. I recently picked up 50Lbs of flour cause it only cost me $10. The part of my cupboard that has a lot of empty space is where I keep my spices. I’ve been wondering about a wall mounted spice cupboard but everything seems custom or fairly expensive.

What options do I have? I’m hoping to limit exposure to light/sun while being mounted to the wall for space, ideally a couple rows for quarter cup and a couple rows for half cup. Could I just get and mount a wire rack and drape it w a curtain?

How about a medicine cabinet from the plumbing section of a hardware store?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I’m seeing a ton of copper baking sheets recently, is there anything noteworthy about them aside from looking neat?

I’m trying to buy a few good sheets to replace my grimy old ones and I’m not sure what to look for. Mostly baking pastries currently if that makes any difference.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How much are they?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Copper sounds cool (aesthetically) but I buy 5 dollar Target ones once a year or do because no matter what I do (parchment paper, foil, etc...) they end up grimey as poo poo.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I bought a pair of cheap Nordicware baking sheets on Amazon and they've been good so far. Also, are you taking about actual copper baking sheets or that Gotham Steel copper nonstick crap? I feel like that's the only "copper" stuff I ever hear about.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A solid copper baking sheet would be quite expensive.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Ah, yeah it looks like they’re just copper coated. I’ll stick with some cheap aluminum or steel ones, thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought aluminum baking sheets from a restaurant supply and they are great. Every once in awhile I scrub them with an SOS pad and make them nice again.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Christmas is coming. For baking, check out the air-gapped sheets with bonus cookie-spacing targets.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Christmas is coming. For baking, check out the air-gapped sheets with bonus cookie-spacing targets.

Just don't ever, ever get them wet. Worse than Gremlins. We used to had those fancy air-gapped sheets. Then a guest was 'helpful' and washed them by full submergence.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm curious now: what happens to them?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I probably wouldn't completely submerge them for a long time, but I've definitely washed them without any issues.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I'm curious now: what happens to them?

Water gets in them and they get waterlogged, preventing them from providing the "air bake" feature for which they're known.

It's totally fine to wash and rinse them, just don't submerge.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anne Whateley posted:

Or, you know, use a higher rack than usual for a similar effect.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The point is for them to brown less on the bottoms, not to circulate hot air under the bottoms.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

Apparently some of the major brands are marking their sheets as dishwasher-safe, so you have those assholes to thank.

wormil posted:

I bought aluminum baking sheets from a restaurant supply and they are great. Every once in awhile I scrub them with an SOS pad and make them nice again.

Does anyone reading this thread not use aluminum baking sheets from a supply store (at minimum)?

Go get some. I just fixed your baking. You're welcome.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I use those aluminum Nordicware sheets from Amazon with a silicone baking mat, they work great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I also have what looks like a steel baking pan that is seasoned and remarkably non stick but the metal is thin and likes to warp. No idea where it came from.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ive had the air kind. they did get water in them. Even before that they were just ok. My restaurant supply sheets are way better and cheaper.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shere posted:

I use those aluminum Nordicware sheets from Amazon with a silicone baking mat, they work great.

This is a really good answer. I had thin pans that warped and I loving hated them and now I have these.

My air bake ones rusted after the first time they were submerged. Sucked.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

48-hour sale on red and green Classic Thermapens. $20 off. Get you some!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Thanks, needed to grab one of these for a wedding gift.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Was surfing this finnish auction site, found a meat slicer, 3-phase driven (note 3ph plug)

Motor plate confirms:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Was surfing this finnish auction site, found a meat slicer, 3-phase driven (note 3ph plug)
3-phase motors are much cheaper to maintain and operate then single phase motors. This was built before electronic frequency switches became cheap.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
For like three more hours, the anova sous vide machine is approximately $112. I ended up opting out because my diet doesn't have much meat in it these days but go hog wild if you want it. http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/11/today-only-the-anova-is-44-off.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bartlebee posted:

For like three more hours, the anova sous vide machine is approximately $112. I ended up opting out because my diet doesn't have much meat in it these days but go hog wild if you want it. http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/11/today-only-the-anova-is-44-off.html

1st gen is $95:

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...ASIN=B00UKPBXM4

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

tonberrytoby posted:

3-phase motors are much cheaper to maintain and operate then single phase motors. This was built before electronic frequency switches became cheap.

I already have a free slicer so I don't need it, I also don't have any 3ph plugs in my kitchen. The stove is 3 phase but it's a permanent connection. Don't think those outlets look very good in a kitchen, in the workshop, sure.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Head's up: All-Clad is having their black friday factory seconds sale early, use the password "ACBFRIDAY" to get into their site: https://homeandcooksales.com/

I grabbed a 3qt saute pan for $50 which is a really nice deal and will replace my crappy $20 nonstick saute pan. Normally this is $100 on Amazon.

EDIT: password fixed.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 23, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is that 3qt of that style the same size you'll find in all the 10-12 piece sets? I'm assuming yess and I don't nee to double up

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is that 3qt of that style the same size you'll find in all the 10-12 piece sets? I'm assuming yess and I don't nee to double up

It's 11 and a quarter inches across, has two handles, one frypan type handle and one like a pot handle and comes with a lid.

Edit: Here's an image of it:

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's 11 and a quarter inches across, has two handles, one frypan type handle and one like a pot handle and comes with a lid.

Edit: Here's an image of it:

My go to SS pan

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Head's up: All-Clad is having their black friday factory seconds sale early, use the password "ABCFRIDAY" to get into their site: https://homeandcooksales.com/

I grabbed a 3qt saute pan for $50 which is a really nice deal and will replace my crappy $20 nonstick saute pan. Normally this is $100 on Amazon.

For anyone who tried the password above and it didn't work, it's actually ACBFRIDAY (All Clad Black Friday.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I picked one up, considered buying more for gifts. Shipping was free too, that is an incredible deal.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

gently caress that's kinda tempting, and I absolutely do not need any more pans right now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Midniter posted:

For anyone who tried the password above and it didn't work, it's actually ACBFRIDAY (All Clad Black Friday.

Shoot, sorry about the typo all. :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
PSA; Don’t buy Maverick brand probe thermometers. I have a remote probe for smoking and it’s fine to poo poo, not reading correctly on an original probe and a brand new replacement in both ports.

That said, hopefully y’all will keep an eye out for thermoworks sales this season. I’m going to replace mine once and for all with the right thermometer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Mavericks are crap.

The thermoworks Smoke is really nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a Thermoworks dot that works fine for my needs. If you only need it to tell you one temp maybe sound an alarm when it reaches target it's a good low cost alternative to the ones with wifi/bluetooth etc...