Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

JossiRossi posted:

We got to see a room full of actors really giving it their all though and leaning into their character traits which was really fun.

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Wasn't the plot of episode 1 literally using explosives to lead the herd to the sanctuary? But now that is a bad enough idea that Rick and Daryl would fight over it?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I feel like I imagined Rick/Daryl fighting for no reason and then randomly seeing a helicopter :psyduck:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

joepinetree posted:

Wasn't the plot of episode 1 literally using explosives to lead the herd to the sanctuary? But now that is a bad enough idea that Rick and Daryl would fight over it?

Daryl wanted to use the explosives to kill Saviors.

Of course, not using the explosives on Saviortown means they all starve to death because they don't have the numbers to fight their way out of the massive horde (I mean yeah, Negan's gonna Plot his way out of this one but it's still Rick's Plan A) Which is infinitely more painful and drawn out than getting vaporized by dynamite.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm hoping the helicopter is like the ones that were in the last episode of Season 1 of Jericho.

The two towns were gearing up for a massive war. As far as they knew, civilization and govt had collapsed, and one town was trying to take over and enslave the other. They had armed a bunch of people and were ready for an all out fight. Then helicopters swoop in. The next season starts 5 minutes later, as the actual govt (well one of them) and the Army come in with real soldiers and military grade weapons and shut down their pissant little war in 2 seconds flat.

Would love to see that on TWD. :allears:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
So, black highlander rules are still in effect?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Astroman posted:

I'm hoping the helicopter is like the ones that were in the last episode of Season 1 of Jericho.

The two towns were gearing up for a massive war. As far as they knew, civilization and govt had collapsed, and one town was trying to take over and enslave the other. They had armed a bunch of people and were ready for an all out fight. Then helicopters swoop in. The next season starts 5 minutes later, as the actual govt (well one of them) and the Army come in with real soldiers and military grade weapons and shut down their pissant little war in 2 seconds flat.

They pretty much have to do something after the whole Negan thing runs its course in 3 or 4 seasons time. I think after that all they do in the comics is potter around having a little society and nothing interesting happens at all.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarklyDreaming posted:

Simon made pancakes :allears:

Can they keep Simon around instead of Negan?

He's literally always fun even when the show is poo poo.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wait there were Trash People in that episode? how's the war been going for them?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My episode cut out after Daryl and Rick were pointlessly fighting

drat that was a really bad episode

Please sir, may I have some more?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They pretty much have to do something after the whole Negan thing runs its course in 3 or 4 seasons time. I think after that all they do in the comics is potter around having a little society and nothing interesting happens at all.

Well, there's the Whisperers arc, which at first seems like they're going to be a different kind of enemy with a different dynamic to everything the groups have encountered before. But then it turns out it's exactly the same as every conflict they've had. Someone from one side dies, retaliation occurs, people on the other side die, some people switch sides, then it devolves into all out war... and guess what plan the whisperers come up with? It's brilliant: they lead a herd into Rick's base! Only this is totally original from anything we've seen before because it's an even bigger herd than ever! It's basically just same same.

So I guess you're right, not particularly interesting, except right at the start when they're introduced.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

My episode cut out after Daryl and Rick were pointlessly fighting

drat that was a really bad episode

Please sir, may I have some more?

They didn't have the budget to show the RPG and stuff so they had to blow it up by Daryl randomly throwing a bag full of TNT, unlit, at a truck which made it explode meaning the TNT must have been so old it'd blown up in Daryl's pocket otherwise.

They then both sat down to have a goofy conversation 10 feet from jeep that was FILLED WITH EXPLOSIVES AND AMMO is detonating next to them. I'd laughed if they suddenly got both killed by ammo cooking off.

ED: Actually how the gently caress did that go? The truck didn't explode, at first. It caught fire. How did throwing a bag of unlit dynamite start a fire?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Remember that episode of Lost with the dynamite? :lol:

Apparently a truck rolling down a hill doesn't do poo poo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol I forgot about the first times darryl had an RPG

http://i.imgur.com/vLjGJpy.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/Xq1FGpG.gifv

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

is Jericho actually good later? i watched the pilot and thought it was super corny and not in a fun z-nation kind of way

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Princeps32 posted:

is Jericho actually good later? i watched the pilot and thought it was super corny and not in a fun z-nation kind of way

It is. There's a lot of drama in the town, but then as they find out more about the state of the rest of the world it gets even better. Not that the town stuff was bad--it was a realistic take on how a small, isolated town might cope with the end of the world. It also has Lennie James. The second season suffers because it was the one where the fans did the campaign to get it uncancelled. So we get 7 more episodes with a much reduced budget and cast, and it ended on a sort of cliffhanger (well at least the promise of a continuation of a new and very interesting arc).

Cactus posted:

Well, there's the Whisperers arc, which at first seems like they're going to be a different kind of enemy with a different dynamic to everything the groups have encountered before. But then it turns out it's exactly the same as every conflict they've had. Someone from one side dies, retaliation occurs, people on the other side die, some people switch sides, then it devolves into all out war... and guess what plan the whisperers come up with? It's brilliant: they lead a herd into Rick's base! Only this is totally original from anything we've seen before because it's an even bigger herd than ever! It's basically just same same.

So I guess you're right, not particularly interesting, except right at the start when they're introduced.

Yeah, this is pretty much how it always goes with this show. It's too bad because as we saw on FTWD there are other, interesting societies and groups out there. Even if they didn't go the route of "remnants of US govt and Army try to take over" they could venture out and find strange new post apoc peoples--and not absurd ones like the Trash People. Before they blew up the entire world except part of the VA/MD countryside on The 100 last season, they could have done season after season of them finding strange new Bunker People and odd enclaves all over the US and world.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh really? I'm going to have to get back into the 100 again lmao Ghengis Clarke.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That was the first episode in the season that didn't confuse the gently caress out of me. If only the rest of the season could be from the Saviour's point of view with the Alexandrians filling the role of malevolent barbarians.

joepinetree posted:

Yeah but Rick was doing it as part of The Plan. All the naysayers are gonna feel so stupid when The Plan is revealed.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Astroman posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much how it always goes with this show. It's too bad because as we saw on FTWD there are other, interesting societies and groups out there. Even if they didn't go the route of "remnants of US govt and Army try to take over" they could venture out and find strange new post apoc peoples--and not absurd ones like the Trash People. Before they blew up the entire world except part of the VA/MD countryside on The 100 last season, they could have done season after season of them finding strange new Bunker People and odd enclaves all over the US and world.

The whole point of the apocalypse genre is 1) How would you survive 2) Look at all the crazy poo poo people have been up to. Survival is interesting enough to have spawned a bunch of reality shows about people drinking piss and digging dirt howels. Building stuff and innovating solutions seems pretty popular generally. Imagining all the crazy poo poo people might do gives you pretty much limitless possibilities to come up with whatever.

TWD decided to do none of that and instead

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bates posted:

TWD decided to do none of that and instead

"we're not them"
"but we are"
"but... we're NOT"
*wet fart*

~the Apocalypse~

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/SGweKi8.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/X2yWSd7.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/RMWgnD4.gifv

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is good.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
oh also I think someone was asking for the rick chonne pic a couple weeks ago

http://i.imgur.com/AuYn7HP.gifv

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

oh also I think someone was asking for the rick chonne pic a couple weeks ago

http://i.imgur.com/AuYn7HP.gifv

Goddamn you are a god among men

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao that episode was fuckin' ridiculous, this show man, this show :shepicide:

Negan offering to write Eugene off. TAKE THE DEAL, EUGENE

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I love you MT. :allears:

The one thing that really stuck out to me was Simon name-dropping *Sorghum*. Was it season 5 that Eugene gave a lecture about *Sorghum* and later Rick and Daryl fought Jesus for a truck of *Sorghum*?

I remember someone in an old thread questioning if the Sorghum Farmers of America sponsored this show or something.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Okay the Negan-Gregory meeting is really well done I wasn't expecting that

That's a much better Negan compared to the jolly spinning bat man Negan

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The director of this episode is Michael E. Satrazemis http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0766349/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

He did this episode, the carol and the crazy kids episode, the one where carl kissed enid, the tara visits gurltown ep, the lake with a pontoon with guns ep, and beth's visit to the emergency room.

If I remember correctly those were all diamonds in the rough

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/PlBgDGC.gifv

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Has getting sick from "gutting up" ever been mentioned before, in either show? Because if it has I don't remember it and right at the end there I though Gabriel had been bitten, until someone in this thread pointed out the connection between that bit of dialogue and his fever.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think the first time they did it, Rick said 'don't get it in your eyes or mouth' or something, but other than that, it's worked for non-throwaway characters.

Any bets on Gabe just faking it?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I dunno he seemed pretty shivery and sweaty.

Way back in the second episode when they first did it, it was a good idea. And the tension when it started raining was also a nice idea for a problem they had to deal with on the fly, making it not a perfect solution. But when coming up with a method like that of being able to do something in the show's universe that allows characters to pretty easily circumvent one of the main dangers of the show, writers should always be thinking "ok, this has to have a serious drawback or else it'll be Why don't they do this all the time?"

And it took them 8 years to come up with one.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 21, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
https://i.imgur.com/ISONEn5.mp4

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah that's pretty funny, well done.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cactus posted:

I dunno he seemed pretty shivery and sweaty.

Given his general behavior throughout the show I'm going to say he's been without access to his cocaine stash for over 12 hours

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lmao

also gabriel getting down with the sickness because of a thing that they've been doing consequence-free for loving 7 seasons is hilarious

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
for a hot minute i thought the reason gabriel brought up the wives and negan kept saying he's weak was gonna end up with negan saying he can't get it up and the wives are just for show

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

This entire season takes place over one stupid day doesn't it

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Randandal posted:

This entire season takes place over one stupid day doesn't it

If it's something that seems like a dumb thing to do, TWD does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
All I can guess on the humvee fire is that there was already a fire and the bag itself was flammable and bridged the gap to some spilled diesel or something kind of like the great fire of 1979 that supposedly started in your garage when that chipmunk ingested some fertilizer and then fell into a can of kerosene, instantly turning him into a flying little fluffy little molotov cocktail that set ablaze leveling the whole neighborhood west of Newton's Hardware Store