Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

chapter 7 is very short, chapter 8 is huge, chapter 9 is regular chapter length but in a whole new area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Zaggitz posted:

chapter 7 is very short, chapter 8 is huge, chapter 9 is regular chapter length but in a whole new area.

Ah cool that's good to know. I don't get a lot of free time these days to play in long sessions, so I should plan a day or two to play through chapter 8.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess I could use some advice for the first Zwei. Most of my troubles appear to be with just dealing with the UI, but I also wandered around in general and couldn't immediately figure out what to do and/or what I should be focusing on to progress. I guess it's a Odin Sphere system where you level up by eating food? Anyway I just got my cat/pet so I'm still super early on.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

First make sure you bought the shove glove at the item store in town, you need it to push big weights around (don't just leave it equipped, it tanks your stats, also only the boy can push heavy things). After that you've got 3 places you can go: the garden, the forest, and the cave. There's a 4th location, the volcano, but you can't do anything there yet. Each location starts with a hub that has a lot of doors or door-like objects that you can't get through, and one or two that you can. Basically you just go down the paths that are open to you until you find something that opens up paths elsewhere, that's the entire game. It can be hard to remember all of them so it's not a bad idea to just write down what all of the locked doors are in every hub. Generally go in ascending level order when you can, it's a Falcom game so it matters (so save the first cave until you've gotten a level or two).

Your first destination of actual note is down the lvl 3 path in the forest (stand on the switch for a second to open it), but don't forget to visit the other places too, there's valuable stuff in them.

Wrt food, chow down when you need heals but the most efficient use is saving up 10 of a kind and then trading them for a higher tier food at the bar in town and then eating that.

BTW don't just sell any random junk you pick up, everything has a use eventually.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 21, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pegnose Pete posted:

Ah cool that's good to know. I don't get a lot of free time these days to play in long sessions, so I should plan a day or two to play through chapter 8.

I dunno if you are using a guide for the game, but consider popping one out for chapter 8 because you get all of Liberl to get around to do a buttload of sidequests and side events. Also it's wise to just stick cloak on yourself for that whole chapter since none of the old areas got stronger random monsters so you won't get any real exp

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Zaggitz posted:

I dunno if you are using a guide for the game, but consider popping one out for chapter 8 because you get all of Liberl to get around to do a buttload of sidequests and side events. Also it's wise to just stick cloak on yourself for that whole chapter since none of the old areas got stronger random monsters so you won't get any real exp

I've been using a quartz guide just to min/max spells and such, and I will look up a sidequest or two if it's obscure like the Blueblanc stuff. I generally avoid combat unless I'm looking for items or quartz, and then just kill a few poms in the towers in each area. Death scream has made that way easier.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I ended up killing like six Shining Poms one chapter with Wild Cry 2: Cry Harder abuse, it’s so silly how much easier they are to kill.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

One thing to note for Chapter 8 is that Grancel has a new shop. This new shop is good and you should make sure that you spend all your money at that shop before you deliver the last unit, since after that you'll be railroaded into the chapter finale and won't be able to return to the shop. I think there's also a way to abuse that shop, but I forget the specifics.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The thing I recall about that shop is that it's hilariously expensive to the point where grinding shining poms may be a more efficient way to get sepith.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The best new Chapter 8 sales are all in Bose.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lets hang out posted:

First make sure you bought the shove glove at the item store in town, you need it to push big weights around (don't just leave it equipped, it tanks your stats, also only the boy can push heavy things). After that you've got 3 places you can go: the garden, the forest, and the cave. There's a 4th location, the volcano, but you can't do anything there yet. Each location starts with a hub that has a lot of doors or door-like objects that you can't get through, and one or two that you can. Basically you just go down the paths that are open to you until you find something that opens up paths elsewhere, that's the entire game. It can be hard to remember all of them so it's not a bad idea to just write down what all of the locked doors are in every hub. Generally go in ascending level order when you can, it's a Falcom game so it matters (so save the first cave until you've gotten a level or two).

Your first destination of actual note is down the lvl 3 path in the forest (stand on the switch for a second to open it), but don't forget to visit the other places too, there's valuable stuff in them.

Wrt food, chow down when you need heals but the most efficient use is saving up 10 of a kind and then trading them for a higher tier food at the bar in town and then eating that.

BTW don't just sell any random junk you pick up, everything has a use eventually.
Is it just me, or does the gear in the store seem to kind of suck? Everything seems to only increase by one point (with symbols so it's not 100% clear what some of the increases are for) and are obscenely expensive with how little money you seem to get in the game at the start.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If it's anything like Zwei II, or Ys Origin and Felghana, then 1 stat point can make a huge difference.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

A single point does matter, if you equip them you'll see that they actually have a greater effect than that on your stats, but I wouldn't bother with anything that reduces stats or makes you weak to an element so that leaves like 3 things worth buying at the store. The best equipment in the game is only +2 to multiple stats.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only things in the store that aren't weak to something and don't decrease something else is the Power Stone (+1 Attack) and Haramaki (+2 Luck), if that's what you're referring to.

E: The Power Stone made my attacks go from dealing 1-2 damage to 15+ so its value is self-evident, at least.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 21, 2017

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Just finished Sen 3.

What the gently caress? You can't do that!

edit:
I'm all too aware of the cliffhanger being an integral part of the series but in the past they've generally done it once someone has at least finished talking rather than just going BANG credits. That last screen felt like a bit of a taunt too! "See you with your money in a year," basically.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 22, 2017

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
This showed up on my twitter TL just now:
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/933472008389533696

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Alright, restarted SC since I was only 2 hours into it. Really should have grinded more in the final dungeon of FC, my poor Estelle is only 37. Ah well, I'll sit down and catch up. Man I forgot the gut punch the game throws right at the start.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

BrightWing posted:

Alright, restarted SC since I was only 2 hours into it. Really should have grinded more in the final dungeon of FC, my poor Estelle is only 37. Ah well, I'll sit down and catch up. Man I forgot the gut punch the game throws right at the start.

It's tough. I had to give up on Hard, my first playthrough because I was just hitting wall after wall.
--

I'm really glad, having found this thread, that Olivier is pretty much universally loved. He was my favorite character right of the bat, when, after being introduced as something of a joke, he effortlessly diffuses the argument between a veteran bracer and an army general that's spiralling out of control.

I've only played the first of the Cold Steel games, but I kept hoping that Olivier would run into a battle when you're about to wipe, and - "My love, I give to thee" heal my party - a la Mickey in Kingdom Hearts 2. But what're you gonna do.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks Trails of Queen Brittney-sama, Goddess of Alcohol and Sean Chiplock.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Captain Lavender posted:

I've only played the first of the Cold Steel games, but I kept hoping that Olivier would run into a battle when you're about to wipe, and - "My love, I give to thee" heal my party - a la Mickey in Kingdom Hearts 2. But what're you gonna do.

You'll like the next two games. :allears:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Zaggitz posted:

You'll like the next two games. :allears:

:swoon: Can't wait.

Srs, I didn't expect to find my favorite JRPG series so long after SNES and Playstation era. Thought I was done with the genre pretty much.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I found Olivier way more annoying in Sky than Steel.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Olivier is great, I brought him and Kloe to the final boss with me in FC

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Justin_Brett posted:

I found Olivier way more annoying in Sky than Steel.

I found him hilarious, though I suspect I'd also find him extremely aggravating to be around if I had to hang out with him like that in real life. The difference makes sense though. In Liberl, he could afford acting like a gadfly all the time, which was also his way of deflecting suspicion and prying questions. In Steel, he had an agenda and a purpose that hinged on him acting like a responsible adult. They're two extremely different situations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tokyo Xanadu ex has a release date, December 8th: https://gematsu.com/2017/11/tokyo-xanadu-ex-pc-launches-december-8

quote:

About

Tokyo Xanadu eX+; a massive action RPG from the masters of the genre, Nihon Falcom! When high school student Kou Tokisaka encounters the nightmare realm known as the Eclipse, his world is forever changed.

In this definitive version of Tokyo Xanadu, experience the game in 60 FPS along with new scenarios, new playable characters, new modes and more!

Key Features

40+ hours of Action RPG gameplay! – Quest through Morimiya City and battle hordes of nightmarish monsters!
Explore a Brave New World – Talk to characters, build relationships and forge alliances as you navigate the expansive cityscape of Morimiya City. Upgrade your equipment, play mini games and train in dungeons!
New Scenarios! – Enjoy unique tales of the Wielders that weren’t depicted in the main story. Once you’ve completed the game, get access to an all new quest and carry on the adventure!
New Playable Characters, New Monsters, Dungeons and Bosses! – Play as the mysterious knight, White Shroud. Brandish unrivaled strength and the powers of light to take down vile monsters and vicious bosses! Plus, new dungeons filled with fierce new monster types and giant bosses to battle!
New Modes: “Time Attack” and “Boss Rush” – In Time Attack, defeat various bosses that appear in the main story as quickly as possible. In Boss Rush mode, you can battle each boss one after the other.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2017/11/tokyo-xanadu-ex-pc-launches-december-8#MHrQgVhlhUbC5HJj.99

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

On this blessed day, I am thankful for this image.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thanks, Terper.

Back from the holidays, back in Zwei 1, still kind of confused. I just got (Lv. 5) to the Sylph village and have gotten the first idol and hookshot thing, and now am seemingly gated by being too low level on the rest of my paths. I have some sort of flower offering item but I don't know where to use it yet; I thought I might be able to drop it into the pond in the spoiler but to no avail.

Am I just stuck on a loop of running through my paths for a couple of hours until I'm a high enough level to proceed?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 24, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flower offerings are for unlocking a secret dungeon

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, pretty much just run the forest, level up where I can, and eventually make my way to the level 8 path on the forest 3->8 path?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

SC feels like it's slightly too long

But at the same time I can't think of a single moment I'd want to take away from it

Maybe I'm just not ready to be a great very good bracer like Estelle yet

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Billzasilver posted:

SC feels like it's slightly too long

But at the same time I can't think of a single moment I'd want to take away from it

Maybe I'm just not ready to be a great very good bracer like Estelle yet

Could probably shave a floor off of the other space areas of each tower in chapter 7. Maybe. Not much else I can think of off the top of my head.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Finally beat Trails SC. That was really enjoyable and Estelle is the best.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 3rd's even better.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

The 3rd's even better.

Started it right after finishing SC. That was like a James Bond opening.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So seriously are you expected to tackle doors in Zwei 1 at a lower level than it says? It's taken 6 hours to get to level 7, even with using food I've gotten from the bar by exchanging 10 copies. The next door I'm shooting for is level 8 and I can already tell that's going to take a couple of hours more.

Either I'm missing something obvious in some of the other locations or I'm grabbing the wrong food. Maybe for example the level 2 path in the cave would be better than the level 5 path in the forest I'm currently grinding? There was another level 5 path in the garden that was blocked off by a water key lock, assuming that's something I was supposed to pick up at this juncture.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what areas have you visited, have you gone to the garden area yet

there should always be a door corresponding to your level where you can progress a bit further

e; never mind i skipped over part of your post, the problem is there are so many places to go in zwei it's kind of hard to name a specific one without knowing your level and everything because the game doesn't have any kind of map, grinding just shouldn't be necessary because progressing should always be opening up new paths. have you gone to the volcano?

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 25, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have not been to the volcano yet because I thought that didn't open up until much later.

I have found:

Forest:
0-Dead End
3-4-Boss
3-5-Sylph Village
3-8-?
10-?
33-?

Garden:
1-5-Water Key Lock
1-11-?
1-12-?
13-?
31-?

Cave:
2-Dead End
9-?
20-?
28-?

Anything that is below my level (currently 7) I have not attempted/beaten. E: Yeah I can't do anything in the volcano yet, there are doors at level 4 and 6 but it's blocked by magic barriers that I presumably need water magic or something for.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 25, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'll just drop this here cuz it's funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you get water magic in the garden, so i'm gonna say you probably missed something in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

you get water magic in the garden, so i'm gonna say you probably missed something in there
I missed going back to the Forest level 0 path to rescue Ripple and get the water key afterwards. I had assumed she was in a new path altogether, not an old one.