Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well if he cant make enough haygrass for kibble to be efficient I don't think pure haygrass is likely to solve his problems.

Have you considered kicking them outside for winter? If they get hungry enough they'll hunt by themselves I think, if there's enough game about. Plus that's kind of how huskies used to live IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eltoasto posted:

So I looked into how best to feed my husky army, and it seems like simple meals aren't terrible. Kibble is ideal, but I am in cold weather and growing area/time is limited at least until i get hydroponics/indoor soil set up. Pemmican can be emergency human food but also has a pretty high labor cost. The biggest drawback to meals seems to be that they can't be eaten partially, so especially the juvenile dogs are wasteful. How do you guys do it? Thinking of forbidding the juveniles from the dining room and making some kibble for them.

I generally obstruct their ability to access the location where meals are stored. In vanilla I usually have a second fridge between the kitchen and dining room for meal access and in modded games (the majority nowadays) meals go into rimfridge units, which I also forbid access to.

I feed them with kibble when I can and access to raw crops when I can't. Keeping corpses around for them to gnaw on can also be ideal.

But to answer with a solution which doesn't address your real question I basically just use boars now. They're very efficient grazing omnivores with leather that displays some nice heat characteristics, breed like mad and are surprisingly potent in combat. The downside is that they can munch on crops, which can be infuriating if they decide to chomp your devilstrand, but in virtually all other respects save being cuddly they seem to be fairly efficient work animals.

Also I feel like less of a monster butchering piglets than husky puppies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

Well if he cant make enough haygrass for kibble to be efficient I don't think pure haygrass is likely to solve his problems.

Have you considered kicking them outside for winter? If they get hungry enough they'll hunt by themselves I think, if there's enough game about. Plus that's kind of how huskies used to live IRL.

If you can't grow enough haygrass I don't really think you can grow anything else, haygrass I think is vastly more efficient than even cooked food because it gives you so much suff.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

OwlFancier posted:

If you can't grow enough haygrass I don't really think you can grow anything else, haygrass I think is vastly more efficient than even cooked food because it gives you so much suff.

Haygrass is also a pretty chancy option in colder environments.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
By the sound of it he's asking how to make it through the winter until the growing season starts again and he can make kibble. In which case simple meals might work if you have a surplus of ingredients, but not enough hay stored. I'd experiment with getting them to hunt themselves though, I know wolves at least will do so. Just make sure you have a couple animal beds ready in case some can't hack it out there and need to be rescued.

Alternately: butcher the untrained ones and feed them to the trained dogs.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Pharnakes posted:

Yeah not really enough game, boreal forest so they are just as likely to get attacked by a wolf as they are to find a hare.

Will dogs eat raw hay? That doesn't sound very realistic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know yes, the game doesn't really differentiate on animal feeds too well. If they can eat plant matter they will eat hay as far as I know.

Alternatively they're genetically enhanced ruminant huskies. Who unlike normal dogs, eat their own poo poo for nutritional reasons rather than for fun.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

OwlFancier posted:

I quite possibly just missed it as the mod adds a lot of very similar looking bills and several crafting tables.

Okay, with no research you can split "dirt" (obtained in various ways with no research) into "sand" and "clay". It is zero-sum though so basically you've got to go scour dirt from normal soil tiles and bring it home, and then you can make sand/clay. There is a "Getting Started" text file in the About directory for the mod, in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100\1202250958\About

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Dusty Lens posted:

But to answer with a solution which doesn't address your real question I basically just use boars now. They're very efficient grazing omnivores with leather that displays some nice heat characteristics, breed like mad and are surprisingly potent in combat. The downside is that they can munch on crops, which can be infuriating if they decide to chomp your devilstrand, but in virtually all other respects save being cuddly they seem to be fairly efficient work animals.
First thing I do in every game is sort out a breeding pair of boars. Endless pork supply, great haulers once trained and they will fight if needed. Keep about 6 fully trained with 'go anywhere' access, the rest just out on the land. Once you hit a critical mass of about 40 you have to cull them sometimes because they will eat all the grass and everything but thats alright because more meat :)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Seaside Loafer posted:

First thing I do in every game is sort out a breeding pair of boars. Endless pork supply, great haulers once trained and they will fight if needed. Keep about 6 fully trained with 'go anywhere' access, the rest just out on the land. Once you hit a critical mass of about 40 you have to cull them sometimes because they will eat all the grass and everything but thats alright because more meat :)

"go anywhere" except my meal pile. Motherfucker I did not make a luxurious meal for your piggy rear end to be scarfing it down. Go eat grass or some poo poo.

Also devilstrand. I will loving gut every last one of my boars if they decide an 80% complete devilstrand mushroom is an evening snack.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Map Reroll updated, witness Menhit, She Who Massacres

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761315214

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’m trying the smarter food selection mod to see if that helps animal habits in eating. Every pawn (including animals) has a tab that allows certain food. If one isn’t available, it’ll move to the next on the list. If it’s not on the list, even if starving it won’t eat the thing.

Edit: is there a mod that lets you set how many items in a stockpile? Example: i have 30 herbal meds, but I want 3 stacks of ten so if three docs are working then they don’t keep each other from getting an herbal med in case they all try to go at the single stack at once.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 20, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

So tantrums and any mod that increases stack size can result in some fairly hilarious results. Such as someone casually destroying a couple hundred X as opposed to the vanilla amount.

I'm being punished for my casual sins.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

bird food bathtub posted:

"go anywhere" except my meal pile. Motherfucker I did not make a luxurious meal for your piggy rear end to be scarfing it down. Go eat grass or some poo poo.

Also devilstrand. I will loving gut every last one of my boars if they decide an 80% complete devilstrand mushroom is an evening snack.
The animal eating algorithm is "Once I am hungry and done with my current task, target the closest edible thing and eat that."

When I had a stockroom near where my devilstrand was growing, this often meant that as soon as they finished a long trip hauling something and got hungry, they'd immediately run outside and eat devilstrand.

Walls do not mitigate this problem, but other food closer does. Put kibble in the stockroom if pigs are hauling to it. Or just use dogs, who don't eat live plants.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Since we're now at the point where we can go shopping for mods again. there was one thing that bugged me during the A18 (well, now B18) testing phase that I decided I'd like a mod for, and that is being able to produce your own neutroamine in some way. It doesn't have to be easy (having it fairly late in the research tree would be fine), just possible.

In a similar vein I guess would be the ability to fabricate components although that might be a little too game-breaking.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

The Deadly Hume posted:

Since we're now at the point where we can go shopping for mods again. there was one thing that bugged me during the A18 (well, now B18) testing phase that I decided I'd like a mod for, and that is being able to produce your own neutroamine in some way. It doesn't have to be easy (having it fairly late in the research tree would be fine), just possible.

In a similar vein I guess would be the ability to fabricate components although that might be a little too game-breaking.

You can make components in the base game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

You can make components already, and there's a bunch of mods for neutroamine production. Just do a workshop search for neutroamine and pick whatever floats your boat.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If you skill up an artist and have them sculpt they can occasionally get the "Inspired Art" buff if they have high mood, where their next sculpture is three quality levels better. This is enough to nearly guarantee a legendary grand sculpture. A marble, silver, jade, or gold one will give thousands of beauty to a room, or sell for an enormous amount.

What this in turn means is that you have a lot of incentive to give your artist the best mood bonuses you can, including all the mood enhancing drugs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm glad Tynan has finally implemented the reason why artists are on so many drugs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I thought he added a recipe neutroamine? Or did one of the handful of mod authors on the first day sneak that in on me?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Just realised there's a patched version of QualityBuilder that isn't on Steam yet :toot:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28678.0

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

The animal eating algorithm is "Once I am hungry and done with my current task, target the closest edible thing and eat that."

When I had a stockroom near where my devilstrand was growing, this often meant that as soon as they finished a long trip hauling something and got hungry, they'd immediately run outside and eat devilstrand.

Walls do not mitigate this problem, but other food closer does. Put kibble in the stockroom if pigs are hauling to it. Or just use dogs, who don't eat live plants.
Just got to be creative with the zones. Exclude the fields from whatever zones. It is a bit irritating to setup but its perfectly possible to keep the pigs out of the devilstrand. For example setup 'animal area haulers, everywhere except my bloody expensive mushroom field and the nice food'.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It isn't really a big trick to set up, you just create a new animal zone and "Invert" which explicitly allows animals to go everywhere, and simply delete the areas your precious devilstrand fields/food stockpiles or whatever are in.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hmmm yes I definitely knew about invert and didn't just add the entire map manually.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress me how did I not notice that button before!

So yes do what I said but do it much easier by what Flesh Forge said.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

It isn't really a big trick to set up, you just create a new animal zone and "Invert" which explicitly allows animals to go everywhere, and simply delete the areas your precious devilstrand fields/food stockpiles or whatever are in.

:aaa:

Well, that'll certainly make things easier.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: Fertile Fields mod

Flesh Forge posted:

Okay, with no research you can split "dirt" (obtained in various ways with no research) into "sand" and "clay". It is zero-sum though so basically you've got to go scour dirt from normal soil tiles and bring it home, and then you can make sand/clay. There is a "Getting Started" text file in the About directory for the mod, in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100\1202250958\About

This is not correct, it isn't zero sum: You can do Gravel from Sand at the cost of 1 crushed rock, and then Rocky Dirt from Gravel at no cost, giving 1 dirt and 1 crushed rock, and then Sand from Rocky Dirt at the cost of 1 sand. Both sand and crushed rock can be made from rock chunks with no research, the dirt cannot. Also the sand can be harvested from other sand tiles that you weren't going to use (Rocky Dirt from Sand).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

Hmmm yes I definitely knew about invert and didn't just add the entire map manually.

...gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

re: Fertile Fields mod

This is not correct, it isn't zero sum: You can do Gravel from Sand at the cost of 1 crushed rock, and then Rocky Dirt from Gravel at no cost, giving 1 dirt and 1 crushed rock, and then Sand from Rocky Dirt at the cost of 1 sand. Both sand and crushed rock can be made from rock chunks with no research, the dirt cannot. Also the sand can be harvested from other sand tiles that you weren't going to use (Rocky Dirt from Sand).

You see my difficulty :v: the mod is great but keeping track of all the various products from the dozen or so terraforming to/from options is very difficult. Basically you extract materials as you remove soil until you're left with bare rock, but each type of soil is comprised of different things and you can sometimes skip multiple stages of soil quality so it's hard to keep it all in your head.

Fortunately there aren't many actual resources involves so as long as you keep some crushed rock, sand, dirt, clay, and fertilizer handy you should be fine, but it can be tricky to source some of those.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well the really obvious step 1 is convert all the nearby sand to gravel and ignore the rocky dirt, I wish I had realized that sooner. Once you have a bunch of gravel you're fine, everything else is leisure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I initially didn't realise you got resources from digging up terrain so I spent a long time trying to figure out how to make an indoor greenhouse without digging up dirt. I had plenty of dirt but it was freezing cold outside for about a year and a half because I play with climate cycle on.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Didn't an earlier version of B18 have a neutroamine recipe and some sort of psychoid tea for tribals? Did that get taken out or was it always a mod?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The new psychoid pekoe (tea i guess) is made at a crafting spot like smokeleaf joints.

E: also i dont think its just tribals but because you have it right away its a huge benifit to them considering how long research takes especially now.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 21, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A Moose posted:

Didn't an earlier version of B18 have a neutroamine recipe and some sort of psychoid tea for tribals? Did that get taken out or was it always a mod?

I dunno, I think a mod author sneaked this in and I'm not sure which one.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A Moose posted:

The following post referenced a neutroamine recipe in A18. Did it not make it into B18? I've only been playing on A18, but I didn't even get around to actually crafting neutroamine. Honestly, being dependent on traders for neutroamine kind of works. Bulk traders have a ton of it, and it makes sense that there are important components for drugs that you'd never be able to manufacture in a lovely ramshackle colony.

I remember the psychoid tea for sure in A18. Is that also not in B18? There was a whole "psychoid brewing" tech.

Flesh Forge posted:

Another tip: grow hay and tame boomalopes, it's hilarious

Also Tynan added a crafting recipe for neutroamine in A18, so you can just make all the drugs now (herbal medicine + chemfuel) so it's double good

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Psychoid Tea is in vanilla B18 as an early tech. Tribals start with it I guess and it's researchable for crashlanded starts. I can't see any sign of a neutro recipe.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Hello thread! How frequent are the Healer Mechanite and Resurrection Mechanite quests? Are they something you might get once in a game or are they common enough that you could use them as a bottleneck resource in a mod?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Are those vanilla objects? Saw them in Prepare Carefully and had no idea if they came from a mod or not.

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Are those vanilla objects? Saw them in Prepare Carefully and had no idea if they came from a mod or not.

They're vanilla, you get them from off-base quests. I can't say how rare they are, since I prefer to play a turtle colony and let raiders deliver their goods to my doorstep on their own.

There's an idea for a mod, though - let those quest rewards be carried by exotic trade ships at insane markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Omnicarus posted:

Hello thread! How frequent are the Healer Mechanite and Resurrection Mechanite quests? Are they something you might get once in a game or are they common enough that you could use them as a bottleneck resource in a mod?

Either I'm unlucky or they're super rare. Once in a game might be the average, but so far for me it's never in a game.