Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I like it just as a speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Just got my Pixel 2 XL from my Galaxy S8+ today. The screen is bad but not garbage, the phone is marginally snappier, and it's a little too wide for me to comfortably use one-handed. I think the width is what will probably do it in for me, but I'm going to give it the full two week return period to see if I come around. As a matter of personal preference, I like the fingerprint placement on the Galaxy S8+ more, but it's not a huge difference.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

As a matter of personal preference, I like the fingerprint placement on the Galaxy S8+ more

:thunk:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Yeah I might be the only person in this thread who feels that way. I have long fingers and my index finger falls naturally on the left side of the device. It's a little awkward for me for the reader to be lower and more toward the center.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah I might be the only person in this thread who feels that way. I have long fingers and my index finger falls naturally on the left side of the device. It's a little awkward for me for the reader to be lower and more toward the center.

I had an S8 and a Note 8 and holy god I hate the fingerprint scanner so loving much as someone with huge hands

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had an S8 and a Note 8 and holy god I hate the fingerprint scanner so loving much as someone with huge hands

I mean I don't think this is wrong or somehow less valid or anything; maybe we just have different ways of comfortably holding the devices. Most people here seem to favor your way or hand shape and at this point I would be surprised if Samsung didn't try an alternative central placement on the S9 next year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

I mean I don't think this is wrong or somehow less valid or anything; maybe we just have different ways of comfortably holding the devices. Most people here seem to favor your way or hand shape and at this point I would be surprised if Samsung didn't try an alternative central placement on the S9 next year.

Leaks/rumours have it like a "squircle" shaped scanner on the back middle.

e: 2XL battery chat

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 21, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

I'm tempted to get a Home Mini on the Black Friday deal just to have another toy to goof around with. But does it actually serve any purpose if the only "smart" thing I have for it to interact with is a Chromecast, and our phones are generally near us anyway?

Like, does it hear and respond to Okay Google commands with more regularity or clarity? Is there some aspect or feature that makes talking to it better than your phone? Do those of you who have a Home but also have your phones near you find yourself happy you have the Home?

Basically, please convince me to buy this new toy for $30.

I bought a Home on a whim when they first came out and now I have seven. It's great to know I can fill any room or all rooms with music, podcasts, or whatever. I use it to add poo poo to Our Groceries without having to pull out my phone, I set timers and alarms, I add and respond to reminders. It controls all of my lighting. I use it to turn on the home theatre and all of its components to whatever Harmony activity I wish to use. I use it to set and check the temperature on my Nest. I find I use it for Google searches that I know it will be able to answer quickly as well.

Honestly I didn't think I'd love it as much as I do but I really find it indespensible.

I should add that my wife likes it as much as I do. It works well enough that you don't have to be a total nerd to use and like it.

Something else I should add, all of mine are full sized Homes just because I value the speaker quality that much. I'm considering grabbing a Mini for the basement or something but for any room I'm going to spend time in, to me it's worth it to have it sound nice.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 21, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone have double tap to wake stop working on their 2 XL? Just kinda stopped for me.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
One kind of annoying thing about the Minis; When the lights aren't on, there's no indication of where you have to tap to change the volume. I wound up putting some unobtrusive stickers on mine so I could see where to tap in the situations where the lights weren't on.

On the whole, I prefer my full size Google Home, both for its speaker quality and its superior physical interface, but I don't regret picking up the Minis.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

clamiam45 posted:

I like the fingerprint placement on the Galaxy S8+ more, but it's not a huge difference.

Coming from a N6P to a S8+, I definitely prefer the finger print scanner in the back center, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it might be where it is. I just wish is was a bit more circular.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I guess Google has been using cell tower data to track users despite having location services off, but they totally didn't use the data they were sending themselves

https://qz.com/1131515/google-collects-android-users-locations-even-when-location-services-are-disabled/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I get why that is bad because most people wouldn't expect that...but I always just assumed Google would do exactly that.

I'm actually surprised they weren't (supposedly) using the data, and that they only started sending the data earlier this year.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Pixel 2 takes amazing pics but the video seems to like losing focus a lot when looking at the background.

I figured out the problem. There was dust on the autofocus laser thing. I guess Spigen cases have this problem a lot?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I figured out the problem. There was dust on the autofocus laser thing. I guess Spigen cases have this problem a lot?

A lot of case types do, dust tends to gather in the camera cutout.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I get why that is bad because most people wouldn't expect that...but I always just assumed Google would do exactly that.

I'm actually surprised they weren't (supposedly) using the data, and that they only started sending the data earlier this year.

same tbh

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google still has no clue what happened to my Pixel trade in. The issue has been escalated again. Right now I'm paying for two phones, one of which I no longer have.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Bad news for those expecting several years of software support from Oneplus, the 5T will not support project treble:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/join-our-oneplus-5t-ama-now.686679/page-9#post-17146313

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Bad news for those expecting several years of software support from Oneplus, the 5T will not support project treble:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/join-our-oneplus-5t-ama-now.686679/page-9#post-17146313

Surprise!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shocked! Shocked I say!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Incessant Excess posted:

Then what does the "T" stand for?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Tdon't buy one

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mister Facetious posted:

Same thing the "S" on the iPhone stands for.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Turd

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Incessant Excess posted:

Stalling?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Hope?

As in "we hope you'll think this is a good step up while we make the next phone to immediately make your half-step up phone obsolete"?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FogHelmut posted:

Google still has no clue what happened to my Pixel trade in. The issue has been escalated again. Right now I'm paying for two phones, one of which I no longer have.
My 6P "here's your money" email just showed up today. They must have had a huge backlog of devices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Facetious posted:

"Trololololol lololol lololol hahahahahaaaaa"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So regarding google home are there any other speakers running google assistant that sound better for music? I'm talking the sound of a good quality wireless music speaker e.g Bose, JBL, Sony etc but with smart integration.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Iphone 4 Stall

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

So regarding google home are there any other speakers running google assistant that sound better for music? I'm talking the sound of a good quality wireless music speaker e.g Bose, JBL, Sony etc but with smart integration.

Google Home Max?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Google Home Max?

Ah, wasn't aware there was such a thing

Looks like there is a Panasonic one coming soon too which looks like it will be an upgrade in sound

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/panasonic-sc-ga10-google-assistant-smart-speaker

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

clamiam45 posted:

I'm OK with the note 8 fingerprint location and also have big hands but there's no question the Pixel/6P placement is better IMO.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

EDIT: I guess I'll see if I can actually unlock my Google Store phone.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/15/bootloader-unlocking-appears-disabled-pixel-2-phones-purchased-google/

It seems some are being sent Verizon versions or whatever.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/21/google-fixes-disabled-bootloader-unlock-pixel-2-phones/

There's a fix now. Except you need to factory reset the device to get it to work.

Ah well. At least it works.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/21/google-fixes-disabled-bootloader-unlock-pixel-2-phones/

There's a fix now. Except you need to factory reset the device to get it to work.

Ah well. At least it works.

Does it honestly matter that much? Unlocking the boatloader resets the phone anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Flipping the switch doesn't though and that's the thing you need to do on your phone to be able to recover it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Are big screens that cover the phones front face hear to stay? I really like my S8 but I have really big hands and I keep touching the screen when watching videos in bed, it's giving me the shits. It's not even the curved bit, it's how close the top and bottom are to the edge.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
On high end phones, yeah. They're working on just making the whole thing a screen you unfold with there being no non-screen surfaces. Expect it some time in 2050.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Ok so question:

Is the Moto G5 still the non-big buxx phone? I upgraded myself to a Pixel 2XL to replace my dying HTC One M8, and I like it, and now my wife's HTC One M8 is dying on her. We got them as two-for-one almost 4 years ago, so no surprise that hers is following mine to the grave. The difference is, I like to buy the latest-greatest, she doesn't really care as long as she has a working phone. In any case, we're both "buy and run in to the ground" sort of people, not "upgrade every year," so the preference is something that will last a while.

So is the G5 still the go to, or should we spend a bit more on 1st gen pixels/S7/I don't know but there's probably another option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So I'm planning on getting the Pixel 2 XL, and I want a case for it. I tend to drop my phone a lot as I'm a little clumsy with my fingers and want some decent protection from drops. Are there other options beside Otterbox? Since I used them for my last case on my OP3.