Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

Felinoid posted:

I think you may be looking for this thread.

Oh yeah I know about that thread, was one of the very first to ask/suggest that kind of threads I guess. But in my post I meant if anyone is planning to do a hack gu LP so I can avoid starting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Skypizza posted:

Oh yeah I know about that thread, was one of the very first to ask/suggest that kind of threads I guess. But in my post I meant if anyone is planning to do a hack gu LP so I can avoid starting it.

:justpost:

Someone else doing an LP thread doesn't mean you can't also do it.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

dscruffy1 posted:

:justpost:

Someone else doing an LP thread doesn't mean you can't also do it.

Sounds good to me.

on a side note, was literally just watching your Evil Within 2 LP a few minutes ago. #glitchinthematrix #weliveinasimulation #coincidence?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Skypizza posted:

Sounds good to me.

on a side note, was literally just watching your Evil Within 2 LP a few minutes ago. #glitchinthematrix #weliveinasimulation #coincidence?

:yayclod:

I'll admit I've got some of the same worries about starting a new thread but most of the time it's distinct enough that you can just jump into things. Draft up your test post if you're so inclined and show us some good stuff. If you really need a collaborator you can probably find someone on the Discord, if nothing else. I can say the .hack stuff in any medium is one of those things I've been vaguely interested in but I don't have the time for jRPGs anymore. Or I do and I'm not ready for that kind of time commitment :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Depending on what your plans are for videos (and there's no reason not to have a lot: practically every conversation is fully voiced and the music is an enormous factor in the .hack// series) you're going run up against rampant copyright lockdowns by a 'Victor Entertainment' on youtube. A lot of music will get the video blocked in every country where your views would even come from.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm thinking of making a Hotel Dusk LP

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149555

Is this good enough? I'll probably link the musics with youtube.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
I think I might have lost my mind. The Early TES Games LP inspired me.

It Belongs In A Museum! Let's Play Skyrim: Legacy of the Dragonborn

If it looks pretty good, though, I'm gonna go ahead and post it.

WampaPartyEX fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 12, 2017

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

1234567890num posted:

I'm thinking of making a Hotel Dusk LP

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149555

Is this good enough? I'll probably link the musics with youtube.

To be honest I would probably double the size of the pictures (make sure not to use resampling).

Also, this game takes into account the gap between the two screens on DS so it might be worthwhile to capture images with the gap in the middle so that all objects would line up properly instead of being broken in the middle.

I mean, instead of this:

do this:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 11, 2017

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

ivantod posted:

To be honest I would probably double the size of the pictures (make sure not to use resampling).

I don't know how to resize the GIF without bloating the data size. Should I double the size of all PNG and leave the GIF as it is or should I just leave the sizes the same and just add the gap for the pictures that spans both screens?

The latter: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149560

E: changed so that every png is now jpg, has the gap, and larger

E2: added music links

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 13, 2017

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Also none of those images should be PNGs. One of these is 50% the filesize of the other:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As a personal preference, I'd say the screen separation gap should be black instead of grey as I find the former looks a lot better. It's easily switched in DeSmuME, assuming that's what you're using. For consistency's sake I'd probably also include it in every shot.

E:

And I think it's alright for the gifs to be smaller than the static images.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 12, 2017

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Kanfy posted:

As a personal preference, I'd say the screen separation gap should be black instead of grey as I find the former looks a lot better. It's easily switched in DeSmuME, assuming that's what you're using. For consistency's sake I'd probably also include it in every shot.

It is easy to play the game with the screen gap in DeSmuMe, but I don't know how to take the screenshot with it automatically included. Using printscreen will capture the whole screen and using the DeSmuMe screenshot tools will not include the gap.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

1234567890num posted:

It is easy to play the game with the screen gap in DeSmuMe, but I don't know how to take the screenshot with it automatically included. Using printscreen will capture the whole screen and using the DeSmuMe screenshot tools will not include the gap.

Not only that, but the in-built video recording features also get rid of the screen gap.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

1234567890num posted:

I think any external image capture program will do it, at least IrfanView and RivaTurner both did for me. They also take the screenshots in the same size your emulator is set as, so you don't have to enlarge images manually.

Here's what I get using IrfanView, taking a screenshot of Desmume with a black screen gap and the 64 pixel "Small" screen gap setting (which I think matches up the sides correctly as opposed to the 90 pixel gap), no editing of any kind:

Perfect .png quality, just below the 900 pixel width limit of the archives (and I do mean just below, it's 896 pixels wide :v:) and only 35,1 KB filesize.

E:

I can't help you with the gifs though, I don't have much experience when it comes to video capture. But since there aren't that many of them, I don't think it's the end of the world if they're small and without the screen gap.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 12, 2017

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hey LP friends. I have a question for you, regarding my CYOA thread: You Have 001 Goblins. I was working on an update today and, to my shock, saw this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834877

Looks like someone else is also running a CYOA goblins game about building a horde. Now, I'm usually cool about sharing, but I gotta admit this stings a little bit, especially after working my rear end off on 001 for almost three years now. So what should I do? Should I just ignore it? Should I call it quits on 001? I don't want to be a jerk, and I fully admit that updates for my CYOA have gotten spotty as it gets more complex. Thoughts are welcome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Take a sense of pride in it, maybe?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hey LP friends. I have a question for you, regarding my CYOA thread: You Have 001 Goblins. I was working on an update today and, to my shock, saw this:

Looks like someone else is also running a CYOA goblins game about building a horde. Now, I'm usually cool about sharing, but I gotta admit this stings a little bit, especially after working my rear end off on 001 for almost three years now. So what should I do? Should I just ignore it? Should I call it quits on 001? I don't want to be a jerk, and I fully admit that updates for my CYOA have gotten spotty as it gets more complex. Thoughts are welcome.

Listen, this is a CHALLENGE. To defeat them, you have to continue updating and finish 001 Goblins before they finish their shoddy rip-off!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Looks like a totally different take on the same base structure. Players are horde members in this, whereas in yours players are playing '001 Goblins' the text parser game. There is no reason to feel anything regarding this.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Looks like a totally different take on the same base structure. Players are horde members in this, whereas in yours players are playing '001 Goblins' the text parser game. There is no reason to feel anything regarding this.

That's a good point. This is why I came here before freaking out. Thanks.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Listen, this is a CHALLENGE. To defeat them, you have to continue updating and finish 001 Goblins before they finish their shoddy rip-off!

I like this thinking, but maybe now is a good time to admit I've kind of painted myself into... not a corner. The opposite of that, an endless expanse. I have no idea how to end the thread, I just keep going and it keeps getting bigger... I never thought it'd matter that much. But if there' a race on, I guess I have to start planning on a way to finish it other than dying of exhaustion...

Thank you friends.

Edit- Me and Dog Kisser have talked and he's totally cool, everything is fine, I'm just a nervous nelly. At least this lights a fire under my lazy rear end to get back ta woik. Thanks again everybody!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 15, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
While we are on topic, anyone who ponders where the hell I went can find me at trad game running three CYOA atm.

Here's the discord link for trad game cyoa: https://discord.gg/97PkqpN

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

I'm looking to make an LP of Pillars of Eternity; I got the introduction and the first real post done but I'm worried about a couple of things. 1), does the font need to be made bigger? And 2), is the character creation way too bloated full of mechanics chat (or just bloated in general)?

Intro
Part 1 (e: changed based on feedback)

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 16, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

AnEndcat posted:

I'm looking to make an LP of Pillars of Eternity; I got the introduction and the first real post done but I'm worried about a couple of things. 1), does the font need to be made bigger? And 2), is the character creation way too bloated full of mechanics chat (or just bloated in general)?

Intro
Part 1

Let me know when this is live, I'm all about this. I'm going to forget this exists.

I may not be the normal viewer of your thread, but in Part 1 there is a lot of info. Maybe cut down some of that, mostly on the stats like Str/Dex/Int as those are pretty straightforward and the same from game to game. Same for the classes, barely touch on the normal classes and highlight the unusual traits in the other classes. That would get rid of a huge block of words and let you focus on the Culture and races with your images.

I'm looking at a new LP, This War of Mine stories. I'll do all 3 of them when they come out. Last time I had issues with images. The game is huge, or my monitors are apparently. I run at a pretty good resolution and the images are high res as a result.

Can I get some kind of consensus as to what the image sizes should be? Too small and there's not enough detail, or you have to squint to make out what the image is trying to show.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149700

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 16, 2017

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I'll probably just try and give a couple of examples of why you'd want Might on a wizard or something and try and focus on stuff like the Cipher (and get rid of the dumb fps counter and nvidia nonsense). Thanks!

As for your pictures, 900px is the max width for uploads to the archives I believe so it'd be your third image by default. It's readable for me, anyway., though the text on the card on the bottom right might be pushing it for people with less-than-stellar eyesight.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 16, 2017

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

MURDER

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

To quote my old buddy Zaeed Massani, "rage is a hell of an anesthetic." Keep it going, out of spite if you have to. :getin:

In all seriousness: By all means, keep at it. Don't let someone else taking on a simmilar project, or at worst outright copying you (note: I have no clue as to the goon in question's motivations or level of inspiration, so out of courtesy, let's assume for a moment their work is NOT a direct copy of yours), get in your head and throw you off. If your work takes longer than others', then it just takes longer.

Ultimately though, it should be your choice whether or not you want to continue with it.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Nah it's all good, Dog Kisser and I came to a peaceful agreement without horde-war. And it lights a fire under my rear end to update, which is always good.

Edit- oh I'm not giving up. I'm desperately behind on my real paying work and struggling with spotty rural internet and snowstorm blackouts, but I kept 001 going through worse. Sleep is for quitters!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 20, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I can vouch for both BFM being a cool dude and for my game being a totally different sort of thing that has only the vaguest association with goblins! It's less of a Let's Play and more of a fifty person tabletop game - the only resemblance is that they look a little like goblins (muppet goblins) and there's pictures!

Also mine are blue and not green, totally different!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

"There is enough for all"
-Gobert Lawson

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

While we're on this subject, can anybody tell me about creating an offline backup of a thread? With all the talk of migrating the forums going on I'm a little concerned about losing my 166 pages of madness in the process.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

While we're on this subject, can anybody tell me about creating an offline backup of a thread? With all the talk of migrating the forums going on I'm a little concerned about losing my 166 pages of madness in the process.

Do you want to archive the whole thing or just your update posts? If it’s the former, there are webscraper programs you can use to pull all the data from each thread page. Baldurk uses some arcane program to pull stuff from threads for the Archive. I’d suggest hitting him up for advice.

If it’s the latter, then I’d say set aside an hour or two and go through and use the Edit option to access the raw text of each update and copy it into individual text files and build up an archive that way. It’s tedious and dirty, but it’s also a sure-fire workaround.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The whole thing. My updates are 100% pictures, no text, and I have all 2100+ of those already archived. The discussion is what I'm interested in preserving, so thanks for the lead.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You can set the flag &perpage=10000 or whatever onto the end of the thread url which should give you 10000 posts per page. I doubt 10,000 will work but whatever the forum limit is will be given.

Then archive 3 pages of 1000 posts rather than 200 pages of 40 posts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Spermy Smurf posted:

You can set the flag &perpage=10000 or whatever onto the end of the thread url which should give you 10000 posts per page. I doubt 10,000 will work but whatever the forum limit is will be given.

Then archive 3 pages of 1000 posts rather than 200 pages of 40 posts.

That sounds like a surefire way of crashing your browser.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Don't have a 20 year old computer and roll with it. Works fine on mine. Will screenshot tomorrow.

Or do the scraping 200 times for a 200 page thread. The forums have a built in method for not having 200 page threads, use it or dont.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 21, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean my computer can handle 1,000 page threads, so if you want me to back it up and send it to you no problem.

e: Maybe I'm crazy, but hasn't the 001 Goblins thing been going on for like 2+ years? You may wanna consider setting up a patreon if you're putting part time hours into this like a job. Idk man, it's your project, but goons throw money at dumb poo poo all the time, why not get your piece.

e2: like imagine if you got dooby dog money.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think it's technically still against the rules to have a Patreon linked in the forums, though you can get around that by having it in your videos or on your Twitter or some other off-site link.

Then again Lowtax recently OKed a Patreon on TGRS so might be worth a QCS thread to see if the admin team/Lowtax would change their stance since times have changed significantly since the policy was put in place (not to mention Lowtax basically panhandling every loving week now).

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The maximum perpage is the default 40 anyway so you can't get any mileage out of adjusting that.

Half the let's play archiving script is dedicated to figuring out which bits you don't want, if you just want everything you basically just want to download every page of the thread by whatever method. Worth noting that whatever it is will need to know your SA login cookie because LP is closed to the public currently.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I think it's technically still against the rules to have a Patreon linked in the forums, though you can get around that by having it in your videos or on your Twitter or some other off-site link.

Then again Lowtax recently OKed a Patreon on TGRS so might be worth a QCS thread to see if the admin team/Lowtax would change their stance since times have changed significantly since the policy was put in place (not to mention Lowtax basically panhandling every loving week now).

I was told pretty specifically not to link anything related to profit, and actually had t-shirts for sale for several months but nobody noticed. Right now the off-site presence is a joke because I'm bad at social media, whoops!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aren't there people who literally thank their patreon donors at the end of the youtube videos they do?

e: I dunno, I guess set it up and then put a thank you to your patrons that made your updates possible, without actually linking it, which has been established as acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I think the rule is not to just advertise it or link to it directly on the forums. If you thank people or mention a patreon or whatever in your videos that might be something outside of the rules?