Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

Drones are produced throughout most of the season, but this time of year production is kicked up a notch because it's nearly winter and it's time for new queens to mate and start hibernating. This production pattern is called phenology and it varies between species and regions.

(source: US Forest Service)

B. impatiens is an eastern species and so isn't included in that document. The eastern guide's phenology charts aren't as informative:

Both of those documents are free and extremely useful if you want to identify bumble bees in your region. Go nuts! The authors wrote a book that's far more comprehensive though if you want an actual book. It includes tons of bonus information about general bumble bee biology to boot: https://www.amazon.ca/Bumble-Bees-North-America-Identification/dp/0691152225

Ohhh this is the best bumble bee PDF I've come across this afternoon, I think. I only have 2 species observed so far, B. impatiens and B. griseocolis.

As an aside the plant I'm observing them on may well be Eupatorium sp, as noted on the B. impatiens sheet there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://youtu.be/Vqwd2A8ECKI

otter!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

the yeti posted:

Ohhh this is the best bumble bee PDF I've come across this afternoon, I think.

Now I'm curious. How many more did you run into that day? :crossarms:

the yeti posted:

I only have 2 species observed so far, B. impatiens and B. griseocolis.

Yeah those two are pretty unmistakable. You're luckily on the fringe of B. rufocinctus' recorded range (or at least as reported in that document) and may not encounter them a lot. Those fuckers are a dime a dozen out west.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

Now I'm curious. How many more did you run into that day? :crossarms:

Ah, I misspoke a little, I should have said guide rather than PDF, I find these harder to parse and navigate than the guide you posted by a long shot http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmerica.htm
http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmericaCuckoo.htm

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah those two are pretty unmistakable. You're luckily on the fringe of B. rufocinctus' recorded range (or at least as reported in that document) and may not encounter them a lot. Those fuckers are a dime a dozen out west.

Nice looking but I'd chalk those right up next to Carabidae as far as :effort: to ID

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

the yeti posted:

Ah, I misspoke a little, I should have said guide rather than PDF, I find these harder to parse and navigate than the guide you posted by a long shot http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmerica.htm
http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmericaCuckoo.htm

Ah, yeah the bumblebee.org ones are only so helpful in my experience. I found the PDFs infinitely more useful. I only thumbed through the book by Williams, Thorp, and Colla and haven't really used it, but it seems far better than the USFS ones. Regardless they're all written for laymen, hobbyists, and scholars alike.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUhvUqUwQ60

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz or anyone have any ideas about this one? My friend thinks it may be a leafcutter or mason, I am totally stumped. Found in the vicinity of the bees I posted upthread but on a different day.

DSC_5008.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 19, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The mouth parts look so ant-y but the body looks kind of bee ish so I think you found someone's escaped Frankenstein experiment.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

the yeti posted:

Mak0rz or anyone have any ideas about this one? My friend thinks it may be a leafcutter or mason, I am totally stumped. Found in the vicinity of the bees I posted upthread but on a different day.

DSC_5008.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

You're looking in the wrong direction. Fat head and big jaws makes it look like a megachilid, but its scopae are on the legs. Masons and leafcutters collect pollen only on their bellies!

I think it's a sweat bee, Halictus ligatus. I may or may not have found that via the super scientific Google search term "bee with large head."

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 19, 2017

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

whatever it is, it's adorable

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Mak0rz, where did you move on to after grad school? Do you do insect research now or are you in a totally different field?

Not to pry! I am doing a PhD in (non-insect) inverts and I'm always curious what kinds of fields people move into after.

eta: gratuitous shot of my study species Lepidurus packardi

eeta: gratuitous shot of S. polymorphia from one of our field sites, shortly before I fled in terror:

InEscape fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 19, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

You're looking in the wrong direction. Fat head and big jaws makes it look like a megachilid, but its scopae are on the legs. Masons and leafcutters collect pollen only on their bellies!

I think it's a sweat bee, Halictus ligatus. I may or may not have found that via the super scientific Google search term "bee with large head."

I searched for "bee with flat head" haha. Coming up with the right magic words is especially hard when it's bug ID stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

InEscape posted:

Mak0rz, where did you move on to after grad school? Do you do insect research now or are you in a totally different field?

Not to pry! I am doing a PhD in (non-insect) inverts and I'm always curious what kinds of fields people move into after.

I went for an M.Sc. and decided not go continue with a Ph.D. (I'm from and went to school in Canada) so YMMV. I spent most of my post graduate life working retail at a mall. Worked a lovely job at a conservation society for s few months, then I got paid peanuts did an research assistant job for a few more months, then I spent a year as a university lab instructor, and now I'm a university lab technician.

I still get paid peanuts :smithicide:

InEscape posted:

Tadpole shrimp are cute lil guys but so weird looking to me. They look like props from an alien sci-fi movie or something.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 20, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Here's another bee, maybe Augochlorini?

Halictidae by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Ed:

InEscape posted:

:neckbeard:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 20, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

InEscape posted:

So adorable :kimchi:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Is this a photoshop or a real insect?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dejawesp posted:

Is this a photoshop or a real insect?

It's real. It's a male moth. He can inflate those tendril thingies and they stink real good and the ladies love it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you ever wondered what moths had big butts for, the question has been answered: the proportionally biggest, hairiest dicks in the animal kingdom

I know they're pheromone thingies and not dicks

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The biggest, smelliest non-dick

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

a sexy little otter!

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Mak0rz posted:

It's real. It's a male moth. He can inflate those tendril thingies and they stink real good and the ladies love it!

Captain Invictus posted:

if you ever wondered what moths had big butts for, the question has been answered: the proportionally biggest, hairiest dicks in the animal kingdom

I know they're pheromone thingies and not dicks

If I saw that on my window ledge. I don't even.... I would just burn the house down. There's nothing to retrieve any more. There's no god with twitchy, hairy tentacle penis moth on the window ledge.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

All I can think of with that moth is Tobias Fünke asking if a speedo effectively hides his thunder.

There were a few little grasshoppers around, and a considerably bigger one:

Guessing it's a Melanoplus differentialis or something very similar. It didn't give a drat about a lens in its face. :3:

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

It was in a huge web, weird orb weaver type o' spider?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

spiny orb weaver Gasteracantha cancriformis
aka a cute fat baby

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vaguely posted:

aka a cute fat baby

can confirm

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Forgive the potato phone quality. This lil dude ride in on an empty beehive I'm refinishing:

For reference, that crumb of wax beside him is breadcrumb size without zoom. The little spider is less than a cm; maybe even half that. He was a shy guy and ran away from me. I think he might build webs, based on what was inside the hive, but they're not the orbspinner type of webs. More like a dryer sheet.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

could be some kind of sac spider, there are so many similar species that are difficult to tell apart especially without a location
they don't generally use their webs for hunting (they're active hunters like wolf spiders) but will make themselves a little silk sleeping bag to rest in :kimchi:

vaguely fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 13, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm in southern New England if that helps :3: he was a cute lil dude. There's so much silk in the hive right now that I'm not sure what was very ambitious wax moths and what was spiders tbh.

First tiny spider I've seen that I thought looked kinda chubby. Please do not explode into thousands of minute babies, new housemate.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
During vacation in Portugal this August i found this fella

It's an asian predatory wasp (Vespa vellutina), a hornet originally from Asia that has become invasive in Europe since it was introduced by accident via ceramic shipment to Bordeaux from China in 2005. Since then it has steadily spread throughout most of France and to Northern Iberia. In Portugal it is present so far in the Northern and northcentral parts of the country.
Main ecological concerns are potential threat to local pollinators and possible competetion with the similar (but slightly larger) indigenous European Hornet (Vespa crabro).
Also a threat to beekeepers, as they are, above all, excellent honey bee killers, probably the more measurable impact they've had so far.

They're pretty though.
Despite having seen them before this is the first good picture i've gotten of them, when they buzz around flowers to pollinate (which is when i mostly encounter them) they don't stay put for long. But the glass of lemon water really drew the full attention of the wasp, even overstaying its welcome after i was done taking pictures. Not keen to remove or shoo away a hornet, i let it stay and came back later to retrieve the glass.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 13, 2017

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Falukorv posted:

It's an asian predatory wasp (Vespa vellutina), a hornet originally from Asia that has become invasive in Europe since it was introduced by accident via ceramic shipment to Bordeaux from China in 2005. Since then it has steadily spread throughout most of France and to Northern Iberia. In Portugal it is present so far in the Northern and northcentral parts of the country.
Main ecological concerns are potential threat to local pollinators and possible competetion with the similar (but slightly larger) indigenous European Hornet (Vespa crabro).
Also a threat to beekeepers, as they are, above all, excellent honey bee killers, probably the more measurable impact they've had so far.

They're pretty though.
Despite having seen them before this is the first good picture i've gotten of them, when they buzz around flowers to pollinate (which is when i mostly encounter them) they don't stay put for long. But the glass of lemon water really drew the full attention of the wasp, even overstaying its welcome after i was done taking pictures. Not keen to remove or shoo away a hornet, i let it stay and came back later to retrieve the glass.

Awesome! I never have any luck photographing wasps, they're just always so dang busy!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh yeah! I forgot to post this. It's converted from phone video, so the gif is a bit janky. I'm guessing it's a cooper's hawk? We saw this guy chilling in a residential median in southern New England, if that helps.

He's just chowing down on a gray squirrel. A woman gazing deeply into her iPhone walked past him, less than a foot of space between them, without apparently noticing an enormous bird of prey.

And that bird is pretty freaking big -- almost as big as a bald eagle.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A friend in Ghana is asking Facebook what this thing that she just killed is. Any takers?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh yeah! I forgot to post this. It's converted from phone video, so the gif is a bit janky. I'm guessing it's a cooper's hawk? We saw this guy chilling in a residential median in southern New England, if that helps.

He's just chowing down on a gray squirrel. A woman gazing deeply into her iPhone walked past him, less than a foot of space between them, without apparently noticing an enormous bird of prey.

And that bird is pretty freaking big -- almost as big as a bald eagle.

Yeah that's a cooper's hawk. Great video! (and good on him for eating those pesky grey squirrels...)

I'd be sick if I'd missed something like that due to staring at my phone while walking.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Beeswax posted:

A friend in Ghana is asking Facebook what this thing that she just killed is. Any takers?

It's a mud dauber. They murder spiders and stuff them into tubes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

It's a mud dauber. They murder paralyze spiders and stuff them into tubes to live out the rest of their short lives completely helpless until the baby wasp eats enough of the spider to kill it.

FTFY

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually yeah this is more accurate and also more hardcore

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds dreadful. Thanks!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Saw a bird.

https://imgur.com/a/taL5W

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Falukorv posted:

Ffffffuuuuuck wasps. (great photos)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Dick Trauma posted:

Ffffffuuuuuck wasps. (great photos)

They’re not that bad, these hornets bother you far less than regular yellowjackets. Literally never been stung by a hornet, which is more than I can say about bumblebees.