Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Marina's curse has been broken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She won the non-canon splatfest, but yes, thankfully, finally, the better rep won.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I could have saved scifi if it werent for work. :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, I mean she's right

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I could have saved scifi if it werent for work. :negative:

With a 2% loss it's entirely possible a handful of people could've made a difference. In other words this is YOUR fault!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lil goblin mad that she can't victory rap

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah, go team Fantasy. I hope my win percentage was over 50 percent... :ohdear:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nhjppiu-q4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

g0lbez posted:

With a 2% loss it's entirely possible a handful of people could've made a difference. In other words this is YOUR fault!

I was watching Desert Bus and forgot to join for more matches today after reaching Sci-Fi King :negative:.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jonas Albrecht posted:

lil goblin mad that she can't victory rap

Grumpy lil squid thought nothing could phase her
Like some kinda lovely Sci-Fi Laser

But since her genre is crap
She ain't gettin a chance to rap.

It's clear why Fantasy won
It's because that team has DARGONS

Go figure the one time I'm not able to play the team I wanted wins.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

In Training posted:

Fantasy won, 2-1 Popularity and Solo. That was a drat close one.

:toot:

That I barely played in solo queue has to have helped Marina out.

The sickest burn of them all.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 19, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
You can huck curling bombs over the walls in the lowered side areas on Inkblot if you aim up and jump near them. Seems like a neat trick.

E: you can do this with all walls that are around two heads taller.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 19, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Well, I can safely say that the first Goonfest was a resounding failure. But that's OK. It's a learning experience after all.

So what have we learned?

First of all, not enough players. The format depended on teams with random pulls. But there were problems, the most obvious one was that people have lives, meaning free-time is short, so running a four member team is hard for "amateurs". If we were professional e-sport gamers, it wouldn't have been a problem, but we're not try-hards. First lesson: Don't make too small teams.

Secondly: the liberal approach sucks. I thought that by throwing scheduling of matches to the players would make the "invisible hand" would do all the work for me. Guess what: it didn't. I found out that (some) players are as lazy as me. Second lesson: Don't rely on participants to do all the boring paper work if they're not up to it.

So with those two lessons, I propose an improved and better Goonfest. We talked about it a little on discord, but basically we do a small-scale Splatfest with just two sides and just play until you pop. It would solve issues one and two neatly, and we can have the event in some nice weekend. Wouldn't that be fun?!?

Any further comments?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Rexroom posted:

Well, I can safely say that the first Goonfest was a resounding failure. But that's OK. It's a learning experience after all.

So what have we learned?

First of all, not enough players. The format depended on teams with random pulls. But there were problems, the most obvious one was that people have lives, meaning free-time is short, so running a four member team is hard for "amateurs". If we were professional e-sport gamers, it wouldn't have been a problem, but we're not try-hards. First lesson: Don't make too small teams.

Secondly: the liberal approach sucks. I thought that by throwing scheduling of matches to the players would make the "invisible hand" would do all the work for me. Guess what: it didn't. I found out that (some) players are as lazy as me. Second lesson: Don't rely on participants to do all the boring paper work if they're not up to it.

So with those two lessons, I propose an improved and better Goonfest. We talked about it a little on discord, but basically we do a small-scale Splatfest with just two sides and just play until you pop. It would solve issues one and two neatly, and we can have the event in some nice weekend. Wouldn't that be fun?!?

Any further comments?

Timing was bad imo, I stopped playing Splatoon for like a month cuz of Mario

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m still down for whatever goon matches we can set up. I had a lot of fun getting back into the game for this last splatfest.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for organizing it though, rexroom.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

This game is so addicting, but I'm too much of a baby to switch from my Splattershot. I'm finally becoming more map aware and learning where my teammates are and map flow/control/checking my map a lot. It's annoying that there's only 2 maps for however long they last, but it's been helping me learn flow of the maps a lot faster since I'm completely new. I've played for probably 5 hours so far today, which I never do with team-based multiplayer games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The splattershot is one of the best weapons in the game so there's nothing wrong with that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Thanks for organizing it though, rexroom.

Yeah this. I’ll be in on the next thing, this one just was really unlucky timing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
On the one hand I hate this salmon run set other than the dulies.

On the other hand I loving love Salmon Run so I'll be playing for hours anyway.

The measure of a good mode

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I would rather have my timer run out and not get matched up than constantly paired with people who disconnect in the middle of a match. It makes games less fun whether it helps me stomp the other team or (more usually) leads to a loss.

If disconnects are tracked, can't they just match them with each other?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Forcing myself to learn motion controls, I should have done it day one but gottdamn I feel like I am forcing myself to go back to the very basics. Doing my best not to get frustrated losing exchanges I could have normally won, but I've also caught myself making a few kills I wouldn't ordinarily be able to do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

^burtle posted:

Forcing myself to learn motion controls, I should have done it day one but gottdamn I feel like I am forcing myself to go back to the very basics. Doing my best not to get frustrated losing exchanges I could have normally won, but I've also caught myself making a few kills I wouldn't ordinarily be able to do.

If you haven’t played the single player yet, try going through that with them. It’s probably the best way to get a grip on them with all the different setups it throws at you.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think I may, if only for the Hero Shot Replica.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
https://twitter.com/g00dguy23/status/932775167243120640

This Salmon Run set has been rough

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/932805606662070272

Rough translation of the tweet someone else came up with:

quote:

Breaking news from the Squid Research Lab! Today (Tuesday, November 21st) at 11 PM (JST) we will release a video about the coming update. The video is around one minute and a half long. Don't miss it!

I can already see a new hairstyle and new clothing in that image. Oh goodness. :supaburn:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PONYTAIL.

PO NY TAIL!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Predictions:

2 new hairstyles for both girls and boys.
1 new pantstyle each
New gear
The debut of the sqeezer
Hints at, but not a full reveal of, the rumored new ranked mode
Some end stinger teasing Octolings

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
GIVE ME THE PONYTAIL

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
Oh shiiiiiiiit, I hope it'll be available in English too. That looks like a brand new ink tank in the shopping cart, so I'm going to (probably incorrectly) predict custom ink tanks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Very excited!!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Make the shopping cart a weapon. Like a midway between the roller and the inkbrush. Not sure how you would fire with it though? Maybe there are fruits in the cart? And you throw it?

So like, where ever you push the trolley makes an ink trail, and then the main weapon part of it is like burst bombs or something.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Only a few minutes left.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Both are acceptable answers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/932971865772929024

BOY

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Come to the Aldi's in the next 3 minutes if you want your rear end splat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

quote:

Players who want to change gear between battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo) won’t have to exit to the lobby anymore! After downloading the update, gear can be swapped out without leaving the match room, making it quicker to get back to splatting. For Regular Battle, this also means you can play the next battle with the same players.

FINALLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

PHOTO MODE THO