Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SimonCat posted:

So, Auralnauts did a funny thing where they had Darth Vader's lines read in Anakin's voice. Has anyone done the opposite. Fed Anakin's lines through a Darth Vader voice encoder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwRxE9jN_2U

Unsurprisingly, he more or less ends up sounding like Kylo Ren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just watched The Empire Strikes Back and there are a shitload of snakes in that movie. So there's additional real animals.

All the Star Wars movies are goofy. Even ESB, the least goofy of those movies, is still measurably goofier a movie than the notoriously goofy movie A Goofy Movie. You'd hardly notice if it weren't so serious about it and if John Williams weren't firing on all cylinders over it.

I mean, think of it: our hero gets mauled by a yeti so bad that he starts seeing ghosts, then he fights giant robot camels, then he goes to a swamp to learn mystical kung fu from a backwards-talking goblin muppet. Meanwhile, his friends get eaten and regurgitated and pretend to be garbage. One of them is a dog man, and his half-brother is a robot who gets taken apart and reassembled, and one of them gets turned into a statue as part of an evil plan that only works because telepathy is real.

I can't tell whether Vader actually intended to turn Luke over to the Emperor if he had succeeded in carbon freezing him or in convincing him to be his prisoner. Certainly after his escape, which messes him up so badly that he can't even summon up the give-a-gently caress to execute his fuckup subordinates, things play out as they did in Return of the Jedi, having completely given up on his dreams of a coup. But I'm not sure what he had in mind prior to that. Certainly there's no love felt there, only the possibility of usefulness. He's buried those feelings deep down, so they could not be used to serve the Emperor. Though they did eventually do him credit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The only goofy thing about Empire is Dak saying he could take on the whole Empire himself, getting knocked out before he could shoot his harpoon and then getting squished by an AT-AT.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I like how Luke has breakthroughs in his connection to the Force every time he literally turns his world view upside down (snow cave, swamp handstand, dangling off of antennae)

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Get gayer with Leia

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love it when what we discuss in here actually shows up elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cvX0ewUYuM

Check out the comments too.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 20, 2017

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dont even know if star wars the phantom menace is good anymore, all i know is i like posting about it, i like gifs of it, i like that it makes dudes 10 years older than me pissed off, and i love pod racing

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just hate dudes 10 years older than me in general. Pod racing is dope though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anything with the word pod in it is cool alright

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm 40 and I don't hate anyone, and pod racing is awesome.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I’ve been watching the prequels again for the first time in years, and they’re honestly quite good. Jar-Jar and the Anakin/Padme romance aren’t very good but aside from that they’re enjoyable. Episode I obviously has the Darth Maul fight as its highlight, but the whole Obi-Wan investigation storyline in Episode II is such a delight, and the speeder chase on Coruscant is one of the best action sequences in Star Wars.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Looking forward to the first all-nude Star Wars.

Chewbacca's been nude in every film, so

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fridge corn posted:

Anything with the word pod in it is cool alright

Prog racing

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Pork Porkins

Jizz Music

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Penpal posted:

Just popping in to say someone has uploaded the 35MM trailers for the prequel trilogy that were sent to Czech cinemas, and they're loving rad as hell. The AOTC and ROTS ones look pretty cool considering they were both digital, I like how they look

The Phantom Menace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ5535zw73A

Attack of the Clones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3mMUPcXrjg

Revenge of the Sith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af1IGOtcKI

Interesting, not something I expected to see again. It's funny that the lines in the TPM and AOTC trailers are translated different than in the actual movie dubs but the voice actors are the same. I guess they were thorough with casting the voice actors in advance. I only recall the ROTS teaser though. It made me excited as hell back then. It still holds up pretty well.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/20/star-wars-the-last-jedi-crystal-foxes/

“We had a little dog come in and we built a little suit for it, and we covered that suit with clear drinking straws”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ingmar terdman posted:

“We had a little dog come in and we built a little suit for it, and we covered that suit with clear drinking straws”

Reminds me of Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows Part 1, where to portray a doe patronus, they basically covered a dog in blue glowsticks

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Here's a controversial opinion: even though Empire Strikes Back was good, I think Return of the Jedi is better.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Here's a controversial opinion: even though Empire Strikes Back was good, I think Return of the Jedi is better.

:thunk:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

:same:

The space battle and throne room are so good they more than make up for any flaws.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i basically dont like anything about act 1 of rotj from what I can remember. i guess there are a few good moments and ideas but its really long and feels kinda pointless and weirdly integrated

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also i dont really like the ewoks, sorry. but iagree that

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The space battle and throne room are good

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zas posted:

i basically dont like anything about act 1 of rotj from what I can remember. i guess there are a few good moments and ideas but its really long and feels kinda pointless and weirdly integrated

The first act is sweet. Leia pulling a Samus, Han's clammy face when he's unfrozen, the way the situation keeps escalating, the general dankness of the palace, the rancor's owner crying when it dies, Luke finally being a badass jedi and getting a new lightsaber that's a different color, Han accidentally killing Boba Fett while blind. It's pure pulp sci fi.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

the rancor's owner crying when it dies

yeah that was cool. the rest is like, eh

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Jabba's palace scenes are peak Star Wars weirdness, though the fight scene over the sarlacc pit is a bit of a mess. It's the second act, I think, where things really don't hold together. Han is kind of wasted; in particular it really seems like he ought to have some more tension with Lando. They wander through the forest for a while through as though in search of the plot, and then they blow up the shield generator and it gets great.

That's how I remember it, anyway. I'll probably watch it again in the coming week, since that's the next one on my list.

So far, by going through them in chronological order, I have determined that release order is the correct order to watch Star Wars in.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I hate how lame jabba's barge looks. the sarlaac pit looks cool. jabba's palace has a lot of good design but i dont like the way it works narratively. anyway I'm mainly in it for the space ships

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The droid's foot torture, the vagina dentata sand monster, the wet nose on the moblin guard, the golden bikini, the laughing lickspittle rat thing, everybody watching the rancor fight through the grills in the floor. It's all weird and pulpy and gross and makes mise en scene and effectively shows not only that Jabba is a bad guy but exactly the kind of bad guy he is.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
ROTJ is a bad movie. Jabba's palace has its moments, but it's mostly just warmed over cantina. Ford has nothing to do, Alec Guiness is phoning it in (moreso), Vader is just a bitch for some reason, it's the Death Star AGAIN. There's just barely any story--only Luke and Vader really do anything or develop in any meaningful way. Everyone else is just going through the motions. The Emperor is neat.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've grown to appreciate the palace rescue over the years (especially Luke), but it still feels overlong. It's probably not - I bet there's a good chance that it takes them about as much runtime to get off Tatooine as it does for them to get off Hoth. But still, it feels like such a huge chunk of the movie dedicated to tying up a loose end from Empire (getting Han back in the mix). And even that is kind of neutered by having Han having relatively little to do for the rest of the movie.

As a secondary point it sets up that Luke is now somewhat competent, but not as competent of badass as he thinks. In hindsight, there's a lot of proto-Kylo in his performance there.

Unrelated, but does anyone else find it annoying that the EU always had post-ROTJ Luke still wearing the black karate gi/tabard? Now in Battlefront II he's wearing the same poo poo, seems lazy. They could have even just made a darker version of his Empire jacket or something barest minimum, it's just lame

edit: final thought - spinoff film with Glover's Lando all about his multiple month stint at Jabba's undercover

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 21, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love the Rey motif worked into the trailer music, and OH poo poo, SHOUTY LUKE SKYWALKER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dptIA3P3v-M

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You are out of your god drat mind.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Mark Hamill looks like a hotter Žižek now.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Mark Hamill looks like a hotter Žižek now.

Rrrezisht it Rrrey! *sniff* Rrrezisht capitalishm!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The opening rescue to ROTJ is kinda fun but the whole thing is loving 40 minutes long. That's an insane amount of time for something that uh....uneventful. The only thing that scene accomplishes is Han gets rescued.

Then after that the movie does absolutely nothing until Luke meets Vader. After that I think the film varies between amazing to mediocre.

It's such an odd kind of bad movie but yet has the best scene in the whole saga. (Vader vs Luke/Vader and the Emperor's death) and the space stuff is kind of astounding even from just a visual effects point of view. So many elements and little creative bits through out.

But the ewok stuff is godawful and completely boring.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
There is only 2 and 1/2 good Stal Wars movies. Duh

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked it when the Ewoks got owned hard after the initial onslaught

Are rebels okay with eating humans as long as they were empire scum?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You see, the Jedi Order passed down the knowledge of the Force Kick for thousands of years ...

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Still the worst thing about ROTJ is this mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

:same:

The space battle and throne room are so good they more than make up for any flaws.

Throne Room scene still gives me chills.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH

Ingmar terdman posted:

But can you shoot them for mad republic credits?

Zelda reference

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

My brother and I are both home for the holidays and he suggested we watch the Star Wars movies. We finished up the prequels and it was surprising to hear that he liked them, flaws and all, on this rewatch. It's interesting to see the critical and popular reevaluation they've been getting recently.

Also we watched Rogue One and the movie is really sloppy until the final third, when the team heads off to steal the plans. The guerrilla attack leading into the Rebels showing up is just good old action movie fun, and the fact that it launches you right into A New Hope is great. It really puts Leia's guts in perspective when she's lying to Vader, who literally watched her ship take off right in front of him like an hour beforehand.