Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've been using Inkarnate to make all the maps for my games for a while now. I recently splurged on the $25/year for the paid version and so far I've been really enjoying all the new content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

CubeTheory posted:

Started working on my new campaign today, and I while I have experience writing, I still don't know a ton about the Forgotten Realms setting. Gonna bounce my setting off ya'll and see if this gels ok, or if I'm treading well worn territory:

My campaign takes place in the sister cities of Eranmor and Than'lamel. Eranmor is a city state in the prime material realm run by the Arch-Duke Serondal, while Than'Lamel is a city run by a council of eladrin that exists in the same locale, but in the Feywilds. The veil between planes is thin in this location, and as such several gates have been constructed around the cities allowing travel between the two, and the cities exist symbiotically.

My assumption is that I've misunderstood the nature of planes, or eladrin, or planar travel, or something else in the FR canon as I don't know it that well. If anything jumps out as "IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY", someone point it out to me.

That sounds really cool, faeries and fey really don't get enough love in the game. And like others said, once you start playing a setting it becomes yours. That is you and your players. The characters may burn half of Waterdeep to the ground and it will never be reflected in the campaign stuff they publish, but it's something you can keep as you want. Especially the players, in my experience players love leaving their mark on a world.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've been using Inkarnate to make all the maps for my games for a while now. I recently splurged on the $25/year for the paid version and so far I've been really enjoying all the new content.

What sort of content does it have?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My players set up signal fires as part of a negotiated mutual defense treaty and they're definitely going to see results if they go back there.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

CubeTheory posted:

Started working on my new campaign today, and I while I have experience writing, I still don't know a ton about the Forgotten Realms setting. Gonna bounce my setting off ya'll and see if this gels ok, or if I'm treading well worn territory:

My campaign takes place in the sister cities of Eranmor and Than'lamel. Eranmor is a city state in the prime material realm run by the Arch-Duke Serondal, while Than'Lamel is a city run by a council of eladrin that exists in the same locale, but in the Feywilds. The veil between planes is thin in this location, and as such several gates have been constructed around the cities allowing travel between the two, and the cities exist symbiotically.

My assumption is that I've misunderstood the nature of planes, or eladrin, or planar travel, or something else in the FR canon as I don't know it that well. If anything jumps out as "IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY", someone point it out to me.

This is an excellent idea, there may be some parallels between your campaign and mine :) My campaigns notion of the Feywild (and Shadowfell) are expanded from the mention of time distortion effects in their vicinity from the DMG. Not completely unrelated to this point, there are some parallel time stream plot points in my campaign (which is a unique world, not FR). The way you used parallel time streams to fast level characters, for example, had a parallel in our campaign, where the party encountered / became alt versions of themselves and were able to bring back certain abilities, spells or new classes, though at risk to sanity.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

NeurosisHead posted:

What sort of content does it have?

Someone make an imgur album with most of it: https://imgur.com/a/KyPNb
It also offers twice the map resolution of the free version.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My players set up signal fires as part of a negotiated mutual defense treaty and they're definitely going to see results if they go back there.

I've always wanted to do a scene like this in one of my games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIhnYFRu4ao

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Can anyone suggest a good urban campaign I can peruse through? It's all new to me and it might give me some insight into an urban setting

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kaysette posted:

e: here's a pic from one epic at PAX Unplugged to get a sense of the demand for these games:

Jesus christ, most conventions around here are at schools / university spaces and it sucks when we have two games per room - how loud would this room be?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

xiw posted:

Jesus christ, most conventions around here are at schools / university spaces and it sucks when we have two games per room - how loud would this room be?

It's usually not horrible, from my experience with Battle Interactives in 4E. Only remember the organizers having to step up like a teacher at a school assembly and tell people to keep the noise level down once or twice over several years of cons.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

xiw posted:

Ooh I’m in this picture! (about ten pixels of me but still)

The noise level isn’t actually that bad usually. You have to speak up, for sure, but it’s not hard to hear people at your table over the others. It really depends on the room, though. This particular room had cloth walls, carpeted floors, and a high ceiling, which helped diffuse the noise a lot. I’ve done games in areas entirely enclosed in hard concrete surfaces, and those were impossible to hear anyone in despite there being half as many people in an equally-large space. Most organizers know this, though, and do their best to make sure they wind up in spaces that don’t require DMs to scream themselves hoarse.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

CubeTheory posted:

This sounds super rad and I would suggest checking out a book called The City & The City by China Mieville. The cities in the book function in some ways like the setting you're describing. One of the best scenes is a chase scene where the runner keeps jumping between the cities.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Trying to come up for interesting side scenarios for my campaign in the two sister cities, things that would be unique to a city with easy access to the Feywild. I've come up with two tonight, if anyone has any neat ideas I'd welcome them. So far I have:

1. A shady guy trying to sell a dryad he yanked from the Feywild, potted tree and all.
2. Guards trying to track down an illegal gate put together by some local organized crime to move goods from one side to other without officials taking notice.

I'm trying really hard to push the seedy underside of a city state having access to the feywild, and the interesting things that would come from that, particularly in regards to vice and smuggling, employment, and the general politics of access to the gates. There will probably be a dual main through line, one dealing with rebellious groups against the mingling of the societies trying to take down the gates, and one involving the less than savory reasons the eladrin are allowing this setup at all. I'm particularly having trouble coming up with side scenarios involving the fey sides of things, and how they would deal with a sudden influx of nonfey, and how that would impact their society.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

CubeTheory posted:

Trying to come up for interesting side scenarios for my campaign in the two sister cities, things that would be unique to a city with easy access to the Feywild. I've come up with two tonight, if anyone has any neat ideas I'd welcome them. So far I have:

1. A shady guy trying to sell a dryad he yanked from the Feywild, potted tree and all.
2. Guards trying to track down an illegal gate put together by some local organized crime to move goods from one side to other without officials taking notice.

I'm trying really hard to push the seedy underside of a city state having access to the feywild, and the interesting things that would come from that, particularly in regards to vice and smuggling, employment, and the general politics of access to the gates. There will probably be a dual main through line, one dealing with rebellious groups against the mingling of the societies trying to take down the gates, and one involving the less than savory reasons the eladrin are allowing this setup at all. I'm particularly having trouble coming up with side scenarios involving the fey sides of things, and how they would deal with a sudden influx of nonfey, and how that would impact their society.

Get the Fae involved in crime. Pact-based protection rackets, enchanted drugs, changeling spies, some elaborate scams, stuff like that. Access is two way, get them invested in the material plane.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

CubeTheory posted:

Make sure the fey benefit from the two-way arrangement. Hell, they probably get way more out of the deal. Fey may want to import the newest music (bard abduction?), the fiercest love (weddings in the feywild!), and the best sculpture and fashion the prime has to offer. Wealthy primes may end up living on the fey side surrounded by magical opulence, leaving their more unfortunate kin stuck on the prime side. The seedy underside of the human side could be influenced by and benefiting from that migration.

The eladrin may even intend to fully replace the human city in time, allowing for fey/prime travel of their entire city on a regular basis - there was a FR city that does that, I think I was thinking of Mithrendain from Dragon #366, a good writeup on an eladrin feywild city, but it doesnt do the cross-plane teleport, not sure where I'm remembering that from.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 21, 2017

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
These are all great ideas and I'm definitely starting to paint a picture in my head of both sides. I have a ton of small ideas that I'll flesh out tomorrow. I came up with one more tonight:

A human trader, set up in the Feywild to do business with the Eladrin, who is constantly plagued by Boggles. They players attempting to dispatch the boggles will only end with more boggles eventually being drawn to the area. Investigation will lead the players to discover that boggles are drawn to loneliness and feelings of abandonment, and that on the prime side an orphanage exists where the trader's shop is on the fey side, and they'll have to deal with that to solve the problem permanently.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hope you are ready for your players to exterminate an orphanage

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

Can anyone suggest a good urban campaign I can peruse through? It's all new to me and it might give me some insight into an urban setting

I enjoyed this rephrasing of a (much maligned) Paizo adventure path as an urban sandbox. It seems like a good (and *readable*) example of a high level view of the factions and leaders and important locations in a city.

CubeTheory posted:

Maybe there's a third sister city in the shadowfell that people are secretly linking to. Possibly dressed up greatly with illusion magic. Or, maybe some nutjob is building a weird cheap fake version of Eranmor on the Prime Material, and if it gets good enough then the links are swapped and Than'Lamel is wrenched away to it, and Eranmore is linked to the part of the Feywild that the fake city used to be connected to.

Or maybe this has already happened and Than'Lamel was in shadow all along. Or maybe it happened in the past and got fixed, except, not completely fixed, and the party has to go deal with the ruins of FakeEranmor, or ShadowThan'Lamel.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CubeTheory posted:

Bunch of feywild nimbys are upset that there's an affordable housing development planned for the equivalent area to their fancy tower castle in the prime material plane. The prime city could really do with some affordable housing, especially given the number of lesser fey who are taking the opportunity to flee the feywild and resettle somewhere where displeasing the nobility doesn't mean a hundred years as a frog.

Twist A) It's a prime material politician trying to manipulate the feywild housing market. The housing development will be cancelled after his friends snap up some choice turrets. That's not how housing works in the feywild though so it was always doomed to failure.

Twist B) The nimby thing is an act put on to discourage the housing development to encourage the city government to make it harder for the fey underclass to flee the feywild and resettle in the prime material. What's the point in being greater fey without lesser fey to be greater than?

A or B can be discovered in either order.

CubeTheory posted:

There's an incredibly powerful ghost running around both cities. Wards don't phase it, turning does nothing. It clearly wants something but its words are an incomprehensible garble. It haunts gates especially, and has recently started attacking them.

It's not a ghost, it's a petty criminal who fell through a jury rigged gate and is trapped between two worlds. Its words are gibberish because half of each syllable is in the other world to the listener. It's attacking the gates to try and break them the right way to fix him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pleads posted:

Hope you are ready for your players to exterminate an orphanage

Boggles and boggle parts turn out to have high black market value.
Get ready for your players to become boggle wranglers.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

CubeTheory posted:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/211634/Ebonclad--A-Thieves-Guild-Setting--Adventures

Probably one of the best third-party settings I've come across.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Keep in mind also that the fey are classically known for being rather capricious. I imagine trade with the feywilde is anything but stable, even if it's done through several score of middlemen. Likewise, slavery and persons trade isn't going to be one sided; while it's possible there are very talented wealthy primes living in luxury in the feywilde, it's even more likely that they're living in a gilded cage of sorts, and are absolutely not allowed out of their "patron's" sight. And even more likely they didn't enter this arrangement willingly. Oh, they're treated very well - the same way a favored pet might be treated. Until, of course, the capriciousness comes into play yet again, and they lose their patron's favor.

The big thing with the Major Players in the feywilde is that they - again classically, who knows in FR itself - don't have human morals. There's things they want and have, things they want and don't have, and things they don't want and thus don't give even the faintest poo poo about. Those are the only three categories. Both cities are probably filled with the castoffs of the fey; the ones who were unwanted, the ones who were once loved but found boring, the ones drained of everything they had, and probably worst of all, the ones who were wanted, desperately, by more then one fey lord or lady, only to be ruined in the process.

As for vice, the fey have always peddled in dreams. Feywilde vice won't just make you feel good, it'll make you feel like an entirely different you. A you who succeeded, the you that got the love they wanted, the you who was given the power they craved, the you who got everything you deserved. You aren't escaping to happiness, you're escaping to a whole new life. Something BETTER then life.

I guess a lot of it boils down to how dangerous and alien you want the fey to be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Volo's guide updated some classic fey and for several of them dreams and emotions create them.

For example the Meenlocks are created when fear overwhelms a creature in the feywild or an area heavily influenced by it groups of meenlocks will arise in nearby shadows. The Redcap is another example of this being Fey that arise in the Feywild or Feywild influenced places when a sentient creature acts on a intense desire for bloodshed the spilled blood spawns Redcaps.

Emotions apparently also run high in the Feywild. With bigger highs and lows.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 21, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ProfessorCirno posted:

I guess a lot of it boils down to how dangerous and alien you want the fey to be.

As well as the power balance between the two cities. The way I see it is if you have full blown fey lords and just a regular rear end city the power gap between the two is going to be a bit big, and not something the city would have wanted to deal with willingly.
Which side do you want to hold the seat of power in this relationship, or if it is much more bilateral power sharing, should inform how either side can affect the opposite's day to day.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 21, 2017

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm getting back into D&D after a false start when 5th ed came out. I'm planning on a being a Ranger..and then I read this and that which tells me that the Ranger class in my version of the players manual is bad and I should feel bad for wanting to play a Ranger because the Ranger is the WORST and wanting to be a Ranger makes you a awful person. Thank you WOTC.

Is there an official update from the original version somewhere rather than a playtest version?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comstar posted:

I'm getting back into D&D after a false start when 5th ed came out. I'm planning on a being a Ranger..and then I read this and that which tells me that the Ranger class in my version of the players manual is bad and I should feel bad for wanting to play a Ranger because the Ranger is the WORST and wanting to be a Ranger makes you a awful person. Thank you WOTC.

Is there an official update from the original version somewhere rather than a playtest version?

There is eventually going to be an official free update to the Ranger.

But for now most people allow the Revised Ranger to be used in games I find. And the Ranger is not necessarily a bad class it's just a bit weak and lots of people were unsatisfied with it. Because of the poor reception of the ranger they have made several revisions of the Ranger.

If you still want to play the old ranger instead of the Revised one go ahead it's gets some fun new stuff in xanathar's guide as well. WotC even said they are not going to outright replace the original ranger, the revised version is just going to be eventually a official alternative.

Also this is the currently widely accepted one. https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CubeTheory posted:

Started working on my new campaign today, and I while I have experience writing, I still don't know a ton about the Forgotten Realms setting.
Im like a grade-B or C FR fan (Arivia would be the real pro) and I think that sounds pretty great.

As far as thsi stuff goes:

Sax Solo posted:

high level view of the factions and leaders and important locations in a city
Theres a bunch of out of print things you can probably find on the internet somewhere to save a lot of time getting the social/political frameworks together.

Heres a few (some broad, some very topic-focussed):

Power of Faerun (3e)
https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Roleplaying-Forgotten-Supplement/dp/0786939109

The Code of the Harpers (2e)
https://www.amazon.com/Harpers-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Forgotten-Realms/dp/1560766441

Cult of the Dragon (2e)
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Forgotten/dp/0786907096/

Pirates of the Fallen Stars(2e)
https://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Fallen-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Forgotten/dp/1560763205/

Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves (2e)
https://www.amazon.com/Cormanthyr-Empire-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Forgotten/dp/0786907614/

Anyway, theres a bunch. Theres a couple that focus on the Zhentish agent network too, but I cant remember the titles right now.

Also the "god books" of that era gave LOTS of ideas for politics and intrigue IMO.

Faiths & Avatars (2e)
https://www.amazon.com/Faiths-Avatars-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786903848

Powers & Pantheons (2e)
https://www.amazon.com/Powers-Pantheons-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/078690657X/

Faiths and Pantheons (3e)
https://www.amazon.com/Pantheons-Dungeons-Dragons-Roleplaying-Forgotten/dp/0786927593/

Demihuman Deities (2e)
https://www.amazon.com/Demihuman-Deities-Advanced-Dungeons-Forgotten/dp/0786912391

Yeah DnD was more about "we make books" and "we have material for books" way back.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It breaks my heart to see new players shunted into the most godawfully dull of all the D&D settings.

Serf
May 5, 2011

replace faerun with dark sun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

X-Crawl is the best D&D setting because there's a place for any and every cool idea you could possibly steal.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Sax Solo posted:

It breaks my heart to see new players shunted into the most godawfully dull of all the D&D settings.

People say this a couple times a year and its still not true. FR is loving huge, its not just the boring little sections they made video games our of.

Plus it integrates directly with Planescape and Spelljammer narrative-wise. So you can do almost anything starting from a FR campaign.

Dark Sun is neat, but it is a very constrained game setting.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i will compromise and accept eberron

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

People say this a couple times a year and its still not true. FR is loving huge, its not just the boring little sections they made video games our of.

That's why people keep saying it - because it's the only parts that people are familiar with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in a shocking twist that no one could have foreseen, 5e content overwhelmingly favors the safe and boring regions of the Realms

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Really Pants posted:

in a shocking twist that no one could have foreseen, 5e content overwhelmingly favors the safe and boring regions of the Realms
They dont even need to write new stuff if they want to be lazy. Just start reprinting the things they already own the rights to.

If they suddenly sell things from 1/2/3/4 eras that people want to steal from, its still sales. They could skip the core books if that offends someones "vision". I have no idea why they dont do this considering the insane resale values of a bunch of the books. (Hundreds of dollars per major Planescape supplement on a good day for example.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Given that Mike Mearls recently asked Twitter "Hey would it be cool if we didn't even try to outsource the DM work for con games" it might be dangerous to underestimate how lazy WOTC's D&D team dreams of being. There's no limit to what they won't do!

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

FRINGE posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's why people keep saying it - because it's the only parts that people are familiar with.

FWIW my opinion was formed from the sourcebooks.

But serious question: where's the cool Faerûn good stuff? Of all the exciting, evocative, creative sourcebooks that lurk just out of view, which one is the most exciting, evocative, and creative?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Comstar posted:

Playtest Revised Ranger is good, most tables will allow it. No word on when it'll be canonized.

PHB Hunter Ranger is functional if a bit underpowered, but works alright levels 1 through 8 - the problems are that it offers nothing of value after that, and your key Ranger abilities (Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer) are restricted in really dumb ways. It's like Thieves Cant, you know? You might go an entire campaign without ever using it, but while Rogues get a whole lot of abilities that define them as sneakyman other than speaking in code and knowing secret handshakes, FE and NE are thematically supposed to be what make rangerman what they are and not loving spellcasting.

PHB Beastmaster Ranger, on the other hand, is hot garbage. It's part of the Trifecta of Special Needs alongside Path of the Berserker and Way of the Four Elements. Stay the gently caress clear.

Also, don't try dual-wielding, it's a trap option; you want your Bonus Actions to move around Hunter's Mark or use Ensnaring Strike, or use the Polearm Master feat.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Forgotten Realms is a huge setting with lots of nooks and crannies. I don't think people actually think it's small. It just feels small because it has Star Wars syndrome. In spite of how big the world is somehow the same handful of players always bubble to the top of whatever is going on and the same set of places end up being the important ones. Also the relative power level of those players means the world feels static since player's can't really move and shake things on their own until they are around 20 themselves and even then they probably have to go pal around with Elminster and the like to get anything done on a larger scale.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Conspiratiorist posted:

PHB Beastmaster Ranger, on the other hand, is hot garbage. It's part of the Trifecta of Special Needs alongside Path of the Berserker and Way of the Four Elements. Stay the gently caress clear.

I call this one "The Discourse":

https://twitter.com/MTBlack2567/status/931975496421711872
https://twitter.com/Tim_Eagon/status/931990966512312320
https://twitter.com/Tim_Eagon/status/932007499175219206
https://twitter.com/Dan_Dillon_1/status/931985565867761664
https://twitter.com/burnthecomedian/status/932046339923435520
https://twitter.com/daydreamtiger1/status/931981529949057024
https://twitter.com/CoachMB49/status/931978716531576833

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sax Solo posted:

...where's the cool Faerûn good stuff? Of all the exciting, evocative, creative sourcebooks that lurk just out of view, which one is the most exciting, evocative, and creative?

My favorite stuff to read back in the day way Magic of Faerun (more for all of the info on crafting materials than the spells), Races of Faerun, Faiths and Pantheons, and Power of Faerun.

The individual continent/region books were fun to read, but I can’t think of a standout to recommend.

I think I still have Power of Faerun, and wouldn’t be surprised of the faction and leadership rules wound up copied and pasted into 5e.