Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

I thought I'm supposed to offer constructive criticism from my place of love so you can all self reflect and improve your posts?

Of the five, out of far more, posts you quoted, two came from the same person.

Of those four, only Three said anything about the creator himself.

Of those three, only two were an attack on the man himself and his personal character.

Try harder, cry louder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fangz posted:

I thought I'm supposed to offer constructive criticism from my place of love so you can all self reflect and improve your posts?

Okay, I guess I'll try not being nice:

Your posts are lovely and you've decided to make the thread about you and your fuckin' meltdown over, of all things, Zen Pencils and people disliking it for the wrong reasons. Please stop posting, or instead post about webcomics.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'll choose to stop posting.

Congrats, Fortis.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Fangz posted:

Congrats, Fortis.

I thought it was a legit question to be honest, I sort of expected other people to chime in before this ended but I guess I'm just part of this thing now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Congrats, Fortis.

Why in the gently caress would you single out Fortis of all people?

I don't care what weird internet drama bullshit you have going on with some people in this thread, none of that concerns me and I don't particularly care. You're straight up being a self absorbed prick and demanding that people dislike a bad thing for what you consider the right reasons, when most people have not given any particular reason one way or the other

And when I call you on that attitude, you throw some very poorly chosen quotes out and then curl up. Fortis wasn't involved in any of this beyond truthfully answering one question you asked.

Get over yourself and post about webcomics, not about people posting about webcomics.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Guys shut up and move on.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I meant "congrats on being (probably) the last webcomic creator in the webcomics thread".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gently caress offfffffffff

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Fangz posted:

I am saying that it's arseholish to share around negativity of a comic you have no love for and read only to hate on and mock.

You are posting on the Something Awful dot com forums, a site whose motto is literally "the internet makes you stupid", where making fun of dumb people on the internet is quite possibly it's oldest pastime.

E: didn't see the modpost while I was writing this but really I mean come the gently caress on

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao at the idea that i would willingly read zen pencils

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
So what does everyone here think of the ZP Bukowski comic where the dude gets a new apartment and all this creative stuff, and then leaves it all to gather dust while he watches TV and drinks beer?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's the other, less noteworthy kind of ZP where instead of drawing "epic" fantasy violence over an Einstein quote he just simply transcribes exactly what the words describe, adding nothing?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tollymain posted:

see, what you're describing is the bad webcomics thread culture here,

I think it's fair to complain that this is supposed to be the good webcomics thread tho.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Really. Okay, put your hands up if you are in the list of 'goon made comics' in the OP and you still read this thread.
me

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my webcomic has been savaged itt time and time again and every time i neither contribute nor look away, i simply watch as if from a great height, biding my time

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
waiting for a chance to strike

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I am a goon-made comic. Guess which one

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

fritz posted:

I think it's fair to complain that this is supposed to be the good webcomics thread tho.

this is definitely not the good one

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I think Morbi still posts here once in a while

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Technically, this isn't the good webcomics thread; it's the thread for liking webcomics in. Not quite the same!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Technically, this isn't the good webcomics thread; it's the thread for liking webcomics in. Not quite the same!

Oh no everyone that reacted poorly to that zen pencils is going to jail?! :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no everyone that reacted poorly to that zen pencils is going to jail?! :(

Now I'm trying to imagine what a jail operated by people who demand that people like things would be like.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I think Morbi still posts here once in a while

Yeah, Morbi definitely still posts, they've gathered some good feedback on the format switch from this thread. Abaddon drops in on the K6BD thread from time to time as well, as does Tea-San for Gunnerkrigg Court (most notably to roast the poo poo out of ChibiSoma). They don't post a ton, but they're around.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah but what of the people who make terrible comics, check your talent privilege

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think kazerad still posts? Then there's people like the Fanboys guy who actively tried to improve after hearing a bunch of criticism here. There's probably few cases of people leaving due to negatively rather than just losing interest.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Zerilan posted:

I think kazerad still posts? Then there's people like the Fanboys guy who actively tried to improve after hearing a bunch of criticism here. There's probably few cases of people leaving due to negatively rather than just losing interest.

Speaking of Kazerad, I can't believe he actually updated his sad cat comic. The world is full of mediocre wonders.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
In the past almost-seven years I've actually found feedback from this and the making comics thread (moreso this one now since the latter thread is kinda dead) to be really helpful in showing me where I need to be improving. I generally have to ask for it, so maybe I'm not a useful data point, but it's always been a pretty good way to see what I can work on whenever I think I'm getting complacent.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zerilan posted:

Kate Beaton and IIRC someone else good (Meredith Gran?) legit got creeped clean off the forums but I don't think that'd qualify as "too much criticism"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Kate Beaton and IIRC someone else good (Meredith Gran?) legit got creeped clean off the forums but I don't think that'd qualify as "too much criticism"

remember when beaton kept getting hassled by goons eager to apologize for SA to the point she had to tell people to shut up about it and had completely forgotten whatever they were going on about

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kojiro (Widdershins) and Space Bird (Astral Aves) are around too. The person who makes Serious Engineering and Bunny Meat also used to post these comics in the previous CCC thread until catching up, where they were rather well received IIRC. I think the people behind Bittersweet Candy Bowl are still around too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 20, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The dude behind 70 Seas and Latchkey Kingdom used to post here quite regularly too, but the people of this thread being generally weird and garbo kinda scared him off too, I think.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

The dude behind 70 Seas and Latchkey Kingdom used to post here quite regularly too, but the people of this thread being generally weird and garbo kinda scared him off too, I think.

No one was weird about his comic as far as I remember. There were a lot of webcomic-makers when this thread pulled double duty as the shop talk thread. Then that got moved off to CC to become another half-dead thread in an even tinier forum than BSS. This became a thread where people would only come to promote their comics, which historically has always had about a 50/50 shot on going well depending on how egotistical the comic's author is. Apparently lot of the people also disappeared after the #webcomic channel fractured and melted down into drama, but that bit I heard secondhand.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 22, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goons are awful, this is nothing new. That we criticize too much is not why.

Hell, I'm pretty sure we're how the phrase "safari rules" got coined.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

No one was weird about his comic as far as I remember.

Hence why I said "being generally weird and garbo". I know if I were an actual webcomic artist and/or writer I'd avoid this loving thread like the plague because of a lot of the people who frequent it just on principle.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

Hence why I said "being generally weird and garbo". I know if I were an actual webcomic artist and/or writer I'd avoid this loving thread like the plague because of a lot of the people who frequent it just on principle.

Or they just don't browse it because we basically never talk about anything but the same six comics

god we suck

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
everybody should read my webcomic

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

don't think people dumping on dummies like the zenpencils guy factors into it whatsoever, though. Hell, artist of the soft pastel rabbit comic even dunked on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also Bad Reputation in the goon comics list literally started in the Dobson mock thread with the artist trying to draw a better version of a chapter of Dobson's pirate comic.