Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

wazu posted:

Great, thanks. I tried one of these camps awhile back, and picked up panther add, and it ended poorly. Will give it another try and stick to the wall this time.

It's a small run area when compared to the other outdoor zones. I generally ran a oval shaped path rather than a line or circle. Oval was long enough to do 2-3 nukes on each side. Levitate is nice until you get used to the hills.

The close run also helps keep spawn occupied. Run far enough away and someone usually moves into your camp.

If it's camped by other quad kiters, watch them do a round to learn the safe spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Can anyone link the first p99 thread? Looking for posts I don't want to re-type up.

Thanks

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

All the ones I have are in the 2nd post.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

aparmenideanmonad posted:

All the ones I have are in the 2nd post.

My fuckin MAN!

Trying to find some 'greatest raid evar' posts.

Thanks!

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

You can also do wood elf guards to 55. My wizard did guards until 55, then DL drolvargs to 56, then BW to 57. There are enough blues in BW to get to 60, the issue is finding and pulling them. I use my ranger to track and pull them, drag them back to a spot, snare then log out. It is so much easier than running the wizard around looking for mobs.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Pratan posted:

You can also do wood elf guards to 55. My wizard did guards until 55, then DL drolvargs to 56, then BW to 57. There are enough blues in BW to get to 60, the issue is finding and pulling them. I use my ranger to track and pull them, drag them back to a spot, snare then log out. It is so much easier than running the wizard around looking for mobs.

I never played at that high a level, but wouldn't it make more sense and be more in keeping with the spirit of the game to find a ranger buddy to do the tracking and pulling?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

I never played at that high a level, but wouldn't it make more sense and be more in keeping with the spirit of the game to find a ranger buddy to do the tracking and pulling?
"In the spirit of the game"? Oh, such newbie words to speak. It would also be more in the spirit of the game not to have 24/7 batphones, trackers, ShowEQ and all that running to instantly kill contested raid targets, but alas...

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

wazu posted:

Anybody have thoughts on a good spot for wizard quad-kiting at Level 54? Did a lot in CS, but experience has dropped off.

Can you still do raptors in TD? I think they are viable up until like 58 unless a patch broke quadding them somehow.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

khysanth posted:

Can you still do raptors in TD? I think they are viable up until like 58 unless a patch broke quadding them somehow.

They've got some problems but still doable. AFAIK the raptors should be running at slightly over JBoot speed, but right now they're running at SoW speed basically. They also fall through the world sometimes, but not enough that it stops people from exp'ing there.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
*shudder* that raptor island... it's enticing at first, but holy poo poo does it get boring. There's just noooooothing out there, and xp at that level range goes so slow.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

faulteroy posted:

They've got some problems but still doable. AFAIK the raptors should be running at slightly over JBoot speed, but right now they're running at SoW speed basically. They also fall through the world sometimes, but not enough that it stops people from exp'ing there.

Oh yikes. Yea when I used them years ago my JBoots were fast enough and they never fell through the world.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

faulteroy posted:

I did these for a little while a few months ago and could outrun them with jboots. Just barely though - they're still pretty fast. Luckily I was doing it as a mage/ench duo so we didn't have to kite them around all that often. Only on poorly timed charm breaks.

Overall great exp, much lower hp than most mobs in their level range, not frequently camped, but zero loot. There's a bigass named raptor there that spawns sometimes and even he drops nothing.

Never saw em fall through the world in the ~16 hours I spent there.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 21, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Vargs posted:

I did these for a little while a few months ago and could outrun them with jboots. Just barely though - they're still pretty fast. Luckily I was doing it as a mage/ench duo so we didn't have to kite them around all that often. Only on poorly timed charm breaks.

Overall great exp, much lower hp than most mobs in their level range, not frequently camped, but zero loot. There's a bigass named raptor there that spawns sometimes and even he drops nothing.

Never saw em fall through the world in the ~16 hours I spent there.

Yea I started quadding them on my Wizard I think at 53. Mana pool was a problem sometimes and I'd have to evac and camp, then run back over. The big named one I wasn't able to reliably kill in my quads until the upper 50s. If he spawned I just left him alone and pulled some others. If you run completely OOM, just make sure your lev and jboots are fresh so you can just autorun for a few mins to get ahead of them and camp out.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I remember quadding the dorfs in the SE tunnels of great divide. Been like 15 or so years so I forget if I was doing them at 60 for AA's.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Herv posted:

I remember quadding the dorfs in the SE tunnels of great divide. Been like 15 or so years so I forget if I was doing them at 60 for AA's.

I tried those recently at 57, but couldn't reliably land snare, or full damage with pillar of fire. I'll try again at 58.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

25% exp bonus just enabled according to broadcast.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Dammit, I’m on vacation for the next 10 days with no access to my computer.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

I just made my 10 millionth platinum piece of profit on the grand commons exchange. AMA. wait dont do that.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

FayGate posted:

I just made my 10 millionth platinum piece of profit on the grand commons exchange. AMA. wait dont do that.

Congratulations on your life's choices I guess

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Apologies to the Kedge crew I left hanging. I’ll be online every other evening (M/Tu/Thurs 9pm EST) this week to give it a go, the more the merrier.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

FayGate posted:

Hook a brother up!**

Just need an earth staff mq. :)

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

If you are taking requests, I'll take a while scale for bard epic. Or a pulsing green stone for ranger epic.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

What's the most expensive item on the server?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
A vagina?

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

That's actually obtainable.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I would guess it's still (pre-nerf) fungus covered great staff unless the ST warder droppables (gnome illusion mask, SoD, etc.) finally overtook them.

Last fungi staff I saw get sold a few years ago was for 1.6 mil.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FayGate posted:

What were your different sources of income and what tiers were they at?

Was a bulk of it lucky drop wins from raiding or did you have some kind of system for market trading in place that you rode for awhile with consistency?

I’m going to go ahead and assume this wasn’t a decade of straight plat farming.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Siets posted:

What were your different sources of income and what tiers were they at?

Was a bulk of it lucky drop wins from raiding or did you have some kind of system for market trading in place that you rode for awhile with consistency?

I’m going to go ahead and assume this wasn’t a decade of straight plat farming.

All of it was accrued doing EC trades. Wrote an app that would alert me via email if any favorable looking WTS/WTB came up. Then I would teamviewer from work or wherever I was at if not home to do the trades(this part sucked due to the lag you get when using that poo poo program!) I had only been at it for 11-12 months. I lost millions months and months ago just for funs trying to crash the haste market which kinda worked. Might try to go for even more funbux and try the same market crashing on Velious droppables or just ride off into the sunset at this point. It's been fun, bai.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

If anyone wants to go on an EQ adventure post what you need here. I'm 60 ench and I think I missed Kedge already.

Don't really wanna log in and LFG, would rather have an agreed-upon time to go questing

si
Apr 26, 2004
There anyone around still playing here? Started a char and wandering about, but haven't run into many people. Haven't seen anyone with the Unknown Guild tag at all. Hoping for somewhere I can poo poo up a chat asking stupid newbie questions.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
What’s your in-game name? Goon guild’s always been super casual, and most goons just tag an alt while they’re not doing something endgame.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Playing Aane right now, but thinking I maybe don't love Bard as much as I'm mostly playing on a laptop, and anything involving kiting may not be optimal.

Trying to decide if I want to go back to my roots as an Enchanter instead - I am super casual and expect to be stuck soloing a lot, which is why I went for Bard. Forgot that most of the solo classes are a matter of AE kiting, which is tricky to pull off with laptop controls.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bard is definitely the worst class to play with a touchpad/laptop keyboard but it can be done. Learning how to kite with them on P99 is a whole can of worms that is very dependent on your patience with dying while learning the quirks of strafe running, messing with SOW pots, selos with or without drums, etc. to find the sweet spot for a certain packs of mobs in certain zones, while also having people and sometimes staff be mad at you for monopolizing mobs and lagging zones.

Wizard and Druid quad kiting can be rough too until you get the hang of strafing and arrow key turning, though druids can root/DOT and do some animal charming in addition to quad kiting, and ports are handy.

Enchanters as you probably know are among the best soloers eventually, but they definitely have a slow start compared to other classes. Ditto with Shaman.

Mage and Necro both start strong and necro especially remains strong in undead situations when they can move over to charm soloing. Mage can solo for XP just fine but is less able to solo camps for loot due to few crowd control/splitting tools.

Melee classes can solo just fine but with massive downtime and typically needing to fight lower level mobs, especially if you're untwinked. Using intimidation/instill doubt on Rog/Monk or fear on an SK is a real pain with laptop controls as well.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Is most of the P99 population good-factioned? Would I be hosed for potentially grouping if I went with like a Troll SHM rather than going back to my roots as an enc? It wasn't really a problem when I played, but I recall hearing that later on the populations continued to shift more and more to one side.

I wonder if a shaman isn't a bit better in this respect than an enchanter. I remember dying a lot doing charm soloing, which I'm guessing hasn't changed. I only ever made it to about 45 or so back in the olden days.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

si posted:

Playing Aane right now, but thinking I maybe don't love Bard as much as I'm mostly playing on a laptop, and anything involving kiting may not be optimal.

Trying to decide if I want to go back to my roots as an Enchanter instead - I am super casual and expect to be stuck soloing a lot, which is why I went for Bard. Forgot that most of the solo classes are a matter of AE kiting, which is tricky to pull off with laptop controls.

If you were an enchanter and you think you'll have to solo a lot, consider Necromancer. You'll really like the cyclical nature of the combat, lots of DPS combined with a nice set of tools, and if you really want you'll still be able to group.

Good or evil really doesn't matter, as far as I know.

Let us know what name you chose for whatever class you settle on; I usually have some starter gear lying around that fits a bunch of classes and I can set you up with some starter cash. Add Lanadinea and Jakobus to friends and hit me up, I'm currently in Kittens Who Say Meow, who are also a very helpful leveling guild.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks - that's really interesting. I always understood necros to be rather unloved/underpowered in the early EQ era. Those are strong recommendations though. I might have to try one out - I never really did as I thought they did similar kiting mechanics as Wizards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

si posted:

Is most of the P99 population good-factioned? Would I be hosed for potentially grouping if I went with like a Troll SHM rather than going back to my roots as an enc? It wasn't really a problem when I played, but I recall hearing that later on the populations continued to shift more and more to one side.

I wonder if a shaman isn't a bit better in this respect than an enchanter. I remember dying a lot doing charm soloing, which I'm guessing hasn't changed. I only ever made it to about 45 or so back in the olden days.

You can group with anybody, alignment only affects NPCs.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I would guess it's still (pre-nerf) fungus covered great staff unless the ST warder droppables (gnome illusion mask, SoD, etc.) finally overtook them.

Last fungi staff I saw get sold a few years ago was for 1.6 mil.

To think I use to own TWO of these. I camped those things with Pwny or whatever his name was for weeks.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

si posted:

laptop controls.

I prefer a 15' laptop over my pc just because the couch/bed are much more comfy for sockin'.

I use something similar to one of these things so I can use a mouse. Mine has more mouse area than this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

si posted:

Thanks - that's really interesting. I always understood necros to be rather unloved/underpowered in the early EQ era.

Heh nah, they rock.