Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zat posted:

The issue is the slowness. Every page refresh will probably take a few seconds, and if you ever want to zoom in and drag to pan the page, that works just terribly on any E-ink device.

Yeah I get that but it's not really that bad to refresh, they increased the speed of that earlier this year.

And with a bigger eink device, less zoom in and pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I got the new Oasis and so far the battery life seems relatively bad. I charged it last Wednesday and am at less than 50% today. That’s still fine because charging a device every few weeks instead of whenever I happen to think about it is not much of a hassle. It will be annoying worrying about it when traveling, though.

The screen looks great and I love it being about the size of an actual book. So far page turns align with page numbers pretty nicely, which is great. I wish the back were the same plastic as the old Oasis because this one is slippery and a bit harsh on the front where it meets the screen. It is much heavier than the old Oasis, and doesn’t disappear as nicely in the hand. It really amounts to a trade off between screen size and maximum comfort.

The inverted colors option is pretty great, but should be added to the quick access control panel area. And there’s no way it’s going to fit into any jeans pocket if you have a normal sized rear end.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Chaglby posted:

I got the new Oasis and so far the battery life seems relatively bad. I charged it last Wednesday and am at less than 50% today. That’s still fine because charging a device every few weeks instead of whenever I happen to think about it is not much of a hassle. It will be annoying worrying about it when traveling, though.

The screen looks great and I love it being about the size of an actual book. So far page turns align with page numbers pretty nicely, which is great. I wish the back were the same plastic as the old Oasis because this one is slippery and a bit harsh on the front where it meets the screen. It is much heavier than the old Oasis, and doesn’t disappear as nicely in the hand. It really amounts to a trade off between screen size and maximum comfort.

The inverted colors option is pretty great, but should be added to the quick access control panel area. And there’s no way it’s going to fit into any jeans pocket if you have a normal sized rear end.

Remember that battery life suffers for the first few days on a new Kindle as it indexes all your poo poo. I read a _lot_, at least 1.5 to 2 hours a day on mine, and I'm a week into using it right now and still north of 50% on the battery. Hard to tell if it's outdoing the old one because the way the old one split up the battery between cover and device and such always kept me basically confused as to how much battery capacity I ever had with that thing.

Coverless, sure, it's heavier than the old one was, particularly since the old one offloaded a lot of battery weight to the cover, but I'm still doing fine one-handed with this one for extended periods, that they balance like 80% of that weight in a 1-inch strip that lies over the strongest part of your hand when holding it one-handed really helps with that.

As for "normal-sized rear end", I'm a middle-aged white dude who wears the opposite of whatever skinny jeans are. It's a very tight fit to get it into a back pocket, but it's doable. On the average 20-something's jeans I see these days, yeah, probably not.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Not knowing or caring about battery life details on the old oasis is kinda the point to me. I was happy as long as the on-device battery kept me going during a reading session and let it do its thing to recharge when I was done. It was never something I had to give thought. So far the new oasis has drastically worse life overall (I only have like 4 books installed and have charged it since it would have indexed them). If we are talking 2 weeks instead of a month then I can live with it, though.

And for weight I’m not sure why you’d compare the old oasis with case and new oasis without. At least for me, the entire point is that you remove the bulk and weight of the case to read. That’s what makes the old one so good.

I honestly don’t know if the bigger and better screen outweighs the negatives to me yet. Hope that helps anyone on the fence about it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
My dad's looking for a good e-reader for my grandmother, who suffers from poor eyesight and needs extremely large font sizes (something like a one-inch cap height). On a normal Kindle, this makes it very hard to read coherently because there's not many words per page.

If the Kindle DX were still produced, he'd probably get her that one. Since it's not, anyone have recommendations for an e-ink device with a large enough screen to allow efficient reading at very large font sizes?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

inklesspen posted:

My dad's looking for a good e-reader for my grandmother, who suffers from poor eyesight and needs extremely large font sizes (something like a one-inch cap height). On a normal Kindle, this makes it very hard to read coherently because there's not many words per page.

If the Kindle DX were still produced, he'd probably get her that one. Since it's not, anyone have recommendations for an e-ink device with a large enough screen to allow efficient reading at very large font sizes?

The Kobo Aura One has a 7.8 inch screen.
The Onyx Book N96 is a 9.7 inch reader like the old DX.
The Onyx Book Max is a 13 inch reader which is huge.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Yeah, I've seen some of these. Are you recommending those, or just listing ones which exist?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Chaglby posted:

Not knowing or caring about battery life details on the old oasis is kinda the point to me. I was happy as long as the on-device battery kept me going during a reading session and let it do its thing to recharge when I was done. It was never something I had to give thought. So far the new oasis has drastically worse life overall (I only have like 4 books installed and have charged it since it would have indexed them). If we are talking 2 weeks instead of a month then I can live with it, though.

And for weight I’m not sure why you’d compare the old oasis with case and new oasis without. At least for me, the entire point is that you remove the bulk and weight of the case to read. That’s what makes the old one so good.

I honestly don’t know if the bigger and better screen outweighs the negatives to me yet. Hope that helps anyone on the fence about it.

I'm saying that the new one does not seem to have dramatically worse battery life to me. I have no metrics for that yet, not exactly pulling data, but I got it on the 31st of October and think I've thrown it on a charger once. I have yet to see my battery get anywhere near "panic" stage; I don't think it's dropped all the way to even half once yet. And this is with 4x the "typical" usage Amazon rates their battery ratings by, so I'm guessing about two-three weeks on a full charge at this rate.

For the case with or without, that was just by way of comparison. Yes, the old one sans case was way lighter; however, the new one is still perfectly one-handable for long stretches of time. You may disagree. I'm just putting it out there that, in the size vs. weight tradeoff, I'm enjoying the greater screen size more than I'm disliking the weight increase.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, I've seen some of these. Are you recommending those, or just listing ones which exist?

The Onyxs are hands down the best options if you need the size. They use the latest e-ink and they're well-built devices - my grandma uses them so she can read some stuff. But they're also quite pricey, the 13.3 inch one is $800 these days because of dealing with that size.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

fishmech posted:

The Onyxs are hands down the best options if you need the size. They use the latest e-ink and they're well-built devices - my grandma uses them so she can read some stuff. But they're also quite pricey, the 13.3 inch one is $800 these days because of dealing with that size.

The reason I want one is because they run Android. The best mobile ebook organization/browsing is only on Android, but it's leaps and bounds better than anything else out there (apart from desktop Calibre): Calibre Companion.

They're too expensive when you can get a Paperwhite for $60.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I still love my original Oasis - by far the best Kindle made to date. Well worth the price. It would be tough to decide between the new and old if I was buying new for the first time. The weight without the cover is a huge benefit to me. I read at home most of the time and just plop the cover on when I'm done for the night/day.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy poo poo Amazon: My Oasis lost any and all ability to charge (no light no matter what) and considering its conveniently just out of warranty, Amazon so graciously offered me an entire 15% discount on a new device! /sarcasm What a loving waste of $250.

At least I get an excuse to open it up...

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Holy poo poo Amazon: My Oasis lost any and all ability to charge (no light no matter what) and considering its conveniently just out of warranty, Amazon so graciously offered me an entire 15% discount on a new device! /sarcasm What a loving waste of $250.

At least I get an excuse to open it up...

Did you call or chat? My experience with getting Kindle replacements is that the phone support is better and more generous.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I chatted, since I hate phone calls and I'm in between phones atm. Would phone support really replace it even though its out of warranty?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
They have for me previously.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Amazon has some deals on Kindles and Paperwhites for Black Friday right now, 38% and 25% off respectively. I just picked up two of the basic models for the wife and myself, since our ancient shared Kindle 3 stopped working a while ago.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So, two Kindle questions:

My Kindle Keyboard has stopped working on 3G, only on WiFi now. Is this to be expected as it's so old, or is it fixable?

If it's not fixable, I'm thinking of upgrading it to something backlit anyway...I like the feel of the Voyage more than the paperwhite, but not sure it's worth the extra money, plus Amazon UK doesn't seem to be selling the 3G version. Is the Voyage or Oasis much better than the paperwhite?

Do newer kindles work with "captive portal" WiFi networks like hotel and airports have? I'd consider a WiFi only version if so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My Kindle Keyboard has stopped working on 3G, only on WiFi now. Is this to be expected as it's so old, or is it fixable?

If it's not fixable, I'm thinking of upgrading it to something backlit anyway...I like the feel of the Voyage more than the paperwhite, but not sure it's worth the extra money, plus Amazon UK doesn't seem to be selling the 3G version. Is the Voyage or Oasis much better than the paperwhite?

Do newer kindles work with "captive portal" WiFi networks like hotel and airports have? I'd consider a WiFi only version if so.

First, try just restarting the device. Sometimes the 3G radio on my old Kindle Keyboard would just not connect all of a sudden until I restarted it.

If that doesn't do it, go into the Settings screen and then type 611 (i.e. hold Alt and type YQQ on the keyboard) and it should pop up an information screen giving details on the 3G modem's status. You can also type 311, 411, and 711 for other information. I forget what kind of information that pops up since it's been so long since my old Kindle Keyboard had a working screen, but you should be able to at least take a screenshot (that's ALT+SHIFT+G all at once) and then pull it off your Kindle as a GIF or PNG in the root folder, which you can upload here so people can take a look at it.

Finally, the most likely scenario if you can't get things cleared from that, is to go ahead and open up the device. It does use a SIM card in the radio for network access, and sometimes that SIM card ends up getting jarred loose, so re-seating that might help.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I don't have a computer to pull screenshots into, so here are some crappy phone pics:

It also seems like my back button on the right hand side no longer works. Maybe my Kindle is not long for this world!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

That means that the 3G hardware is still working normally, but the network doesn't like your device anymore. I don't think there's anything you can do other than complain to amazon that the "free 3G forever" didn't actually last as long as the device.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I chatted, since I hate phone calls and I'm in between phones atm. Would phone support really replace it even though its out of warranty?

They literally gave me a new kindle for free one time because I dropped my phone on one and cracked the screen

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Tamba posted:

That means that the 3G hardware is still working normally, but the network doesn't like your device anymore. I don't think there's anything you can do other than complain to amazon that the "free 3G forever" didn't actually last as long as the device.

Thanks, I got that feeling. I'll give them a ring and see what happens. If all else fails, time to upgrade!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don't have a computer to pull screenshots into, so here are some crappy phone pics:

It also seems like my back button on the right hand side no longer works. Maybe my Kindle is not long for this world!

From that it looks like the SIM is still reading properly but it's having issues registering with the network. You should probably contact Amazon, as their 3G services should still be working.

Alternately it could just be there's something funky going on with the nearest 3G tower, which you might not even notice on your phone as their LTE services might be working fine. I guess if you have the opportunity to travel a few miles over somewhere served by different towers, you might find the 3G working again and know it was just a local tower issue.

Anyway for the modern Kindles without 3G, captive portal sign-ins usually do work on the built-in browser, but some networks just won't work at all. And if you buy the recent Kindles with 3G you can pretty much only use it for getting books from your account, it won't really let you browse the internet on them anymore - so the 3G's not nearly so worth it anymore.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tamba posted:

poo poo the Sprint connection on my original (as in the first ever) Kindle still works. It has to since it doesn't have Wi-Fi.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I picked up the new Oasis to replace my old Oasis. I really like the new size, but I miss the battery cover so much. I bought the charcoal cloth cover, but it's kinda...bad. It looks nice but it falls off if you at it wrong.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Are you up to date firmware wise?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, neat, the new Nook just dropped :20bux: in price to 99.99.

drat I am tempted, but I worry about that screen :ohdear:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I checked out a lineup of Kindles at Best Buy and they all feel like cell phones after reading on a 7.8 inch ereader.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm sure this gets asked somewhat often, but I didn't see it in the last two pages.

I was thinking about getting the Oasis for Christmas, but I read a few articles saying to hold off on e-readers, because in 2018 there will be major updates with CLEARink and a few other technologies that will change the game.

Whats the ratio of truth to nonsense in this?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Megasabin posted:

I'm sure this gets asked somewhat often, but I didn't see it in the last two pages.

I was thinking about getting the Oasis for Christmas, but I read a few articles saying to hold off on e-readers, because in 2018 there will be major updates with CLEARink and a few other technologies that will change the game.

Well you can either get an e-reader now or you can wait a year (or two) for the new ones to come out assuming that adoption of new tech goes at that pace

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Megasabin posted:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/07/29/upcoming-technologies-will-kill-kindle-nonsense/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Megasabin posted:

The E Ink company has released several generations of displays, and usually Amazon makes a Kindle very soon after those hit the market incorporating them. The first gen E Ink Vizplex came out in early 2007, the very first Kindle comes out in November 2007.

E Ink Pearl came out in 2010. Amazon releases an updated Kindle DX and the Kindle 3 (what people call the Kindle Keyboard now) using it.

E Ink Carta came out in 2012 and E Ink Carta HD is out in 2014 with the same specs by higher resolutions. Plain Carta is first used for the first Paperwhite, the Voyage uses the HD version.

So far a replacement hasn't come out yet, but we're more or less on schedule for a major improvement to come out late this year or early next, and then have a Kindle using it in a few months. So that's one reason you might expect a major Kindle update (aside from something like the new oasis just using a bigger panel of the same design as the higher end Kindles have used since 2014) to come up next year.

The other thing is that CLEARink's deisgn for a color e-ink type screen might finally be rich enough color that it'll actually be worthwhile to use - there are a few specialist ereaders out there that use color e-ink designs that are kinda not that good, so it's never been something Amazon/Kobo have been willing to sell. So maybe they'll finally hit production scale with good results, and Amazon would put out a color kindle, which would be nice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They’re so cheap on Amazon right now, I’m thinking of getting a paperwhite.

I want to be able to sync and backup my highlighted notes when I find a passage I like. I have so much underlined in my Dostoevsky books that I’d cry if I lost them, but I also like collecting real books and browsing old bookstores when I’m bored.

Any book collectors switch to e readers and end up regretting it?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Rolo posted:

I want to be able to sync and backup my highlighted notes when I find a passage I like. I have so much underlined in my Dostoevsky books that I’d cry if I lost them, but I also like collecting real books and browsing old bookstores when I’m bored.

I still buy physical copies of books even though I have an e-reader, so I guess I do not regret it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm about 50/50 on e-books vs. physical at this point. I still buy the physical copy of anything I expect to reread, anything I expect to want to quickly flip back and forth between pages (reference texts mostly), anything with detailed images, and anything that I just really want to have on my shelves.

What the Kindle does best are those one-time reads. I like reading Jeremy Clarkson's books, but I'm never going to read them again. I like reading 2600 magazine, but I'll probably never go looking through old issues. Basically the kind of stuff you'd buy at an airport book store is great on an e-reader. You can buy a bunch when it's cheap and you have them all with you wherever you go.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Rolo posted:

When I moved about 12 years ago, I took the heart-rending (at the time) decision to give away or dispose of like 6 bookshelves worth of books. I kept one bookshelf's (like a typical floor to almost-ceiling kind) worth of classics and books I couldn't bear to part with.

Over the few years between that decision and before buying my first Kindle, I filled about another bookshelf (I read a lot).

Then I got my first e-reader. I've bought about 12 physical books since then, vs (checks Amazon) 153 e-books.

I went through a fit of pique about a year ago where I decided I was going to read my next few books in physical format and bought like four at once. Felt good, love picking them out/up but it took about two nights of pissing off the wife with night lights that sucked to clip onto the book and they're so much goddamned heavier than my Kindle and etc. and so on that those four books went into the bookshelf essentially unread and I bought the e-book versions to actually read.

So, as a former book collector, and I _loved_ book-shopping and collecting, it has not been a regret at all. I read much more, with way less annoyance, on an e-reader than I could possibly manage with physical books.

The only physical books I still buy are like photo-heavy coffee books on topics I like or books I liked so much reading on a Kindle that I just want to reward the author and keep a physical copy handy to lend out or just browse through should the urge hit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

smr posted:

When I moved about 12 years ago, I took the heart-rending (at the time) decision to give away or dispose of like 6 bookshelves worth of books. I kept one bookshelf's (like a typical floor to almost-ceiling kind) worth of classics and books I couldn't bear to part with.

Over the few years between that decision and before buying my first Kindle, I filled about another bookshelf (I read a lot).

Then I got my first e-reader. I've bought about 12 physical books since then, vs (checks Amazon) 153 e-books.

I went through a fit of pique about a year ago where I decided I was going to read my next few books in physical format and bought like four at once. Felt good, love picking them out/up but it took about two nights of pissing off the wife with night lights that sucked to clip onto the book and they're so much goddamned heavier than my Kindle and etc. and so on that those four books went into the bookshelf essentially unread and I bought the e-book versions to actually read.

So, as a former book collector, and I _loved_ book-shopping and collecting, it has not been a regret at all. I read much more, with way less annoyance, on an e-reader than I could possibly manage with physical books.

The only physical books I still buy are like photo-heavy coffee books on topics I like or books I liked so much reading on a Kindle that I just want to reward the author and keep a physical copy handy to lend out or just browse through should the urge hit.

This sounds almost exactly like me. Once you just stop and embrace the non-physical-book lifestyle it can be pretty great. I did spend a long time trying to keep a foot in both worlds, and at the time I thought it was fine, but one day I just decided I needed the space more than the books so I got rid of most of them...and I wouldn't go back now even though I technically have the space for them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I've bought 270 Kindle e-books at least since I got my first Kindle 10 years ago.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

smr posted:

I think this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks so much for the effort post. I’ll go look at a new paperwhite for the bulk and still physically collect the cool ones and classics I end up loving. The more I think of it, the more I don’t want to end up like my parents, who probably have literal tons of books. I’m also in an apartment and guaranteed to move all my stuff at some point.

Most of my reading is when I’m on the road for work, too, and packing larger books is starting to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I have an ereaader for the convenience of not having to haul a library wherever I go, because I usually read several things at a time. But I'll never get rid of my book collection, and I always feel disappointed when I visit someone's apartment and there are no books to peruse and silently judge them by.