Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

sullat posted:

Also if you've ever dreamed about dropping everything and running away to sea, you should read "Two years before the mast", about a law school student who did just that. His verdict: Worse than law school.

I think it’s time for a modern update. Perhaps this time about a sailor who runs away from the sea to try law. If only we knew someone who could tell such a tale.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Toona and I both have you covered. I miss the ocean, but I don't miss the navy. I also sell tacos more than I do legal work so my viewpoint might be skewed.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Toona and I both have you covered. I miss the ocean, but I don't miss the navy. I also sell tacos more than I do legal work so my viewpoint might be skewed.

I've been meaning to ask, what exactly is a "taco" to you? Because from earlier pictures and some things I've read, I'm starting to believe that I've been lied to.

This is a scanditaco:

So, crisp bread, ground beef with mild if at all noticable seasoning, lettuce and some cheese and also possibly sour cream. That's a taco. Right?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

I've been meaning to ask, what exactly is a "taco" to you? Because from earlier pictures and some things I've read, I'm starting to believe that I've been lied to.

This is a scanditaco:

So, crisp bread, ground beef with mild if at all noticable seasoning, lettuce and some cheese and also possibly sour cream. That's a taco. Right?

*ADJUSTS OLD TIMEY BIFOCALS* YUP, THATS A TACO YA GOT RIGHT THERE

In Texas, if the crispy/soft tortilla made of corn/flower is folded, its a taco. If its wrapped up, its a burrito.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

This is a scanditaco:

This is what happens when you don’t have any Mexicans.

Get some more Mexicans

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Basically you're being exploited though by capitalism.

Is this how you comfort poor people before taking their house? :(

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
These are tacos:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

Is this how you comfort poor people before taking their house? :(

I don't comfort them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

This is a scanditaco:

That's a fake taco with fake meat.

Proper tacos have two corn tortillas that are filled with meat (i usually have seasoned ground beef, shredded chicken, and carnitas) and topped with onion/lime/cilantro with maybe some hot sauce on them.

Here's a carnitas taco made traditionally.

I also do what i call fully loaded tacos that are more what you think of except it's still a soft shell, meat, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, pico de gallo, and cheese.

Here's carne fully loaded.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

These are tacos:

You'd be great but those are flour tortillas you heathen

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
flour tortillas > corn tortillas

MEet me at the flagpole

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

flour tortillas > corn tortillas

MEet me at the flagpole

Nah. For tacos corn is supreme. Flour should only be for burritos and fajitas.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Handmade fresh corn for street tacos is good. If they're from a package I want thin flour.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Someone explain to me how to fold a burrito well. My stubby, meat hands can't ever seem to manage it and they always somehow leak/fall apart.

(I can get it to not leak if I use less filling, but then it just feels like I'm eating a big mouth full of burrito shell.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I prefer 12" tortillas for burritos but 10" will work in a pinch. I'm gonna make one real quick so I have visual aids.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ok, step one: warm up your tortilla. I'm using my flat top, but any flat pan will do or you can warm it directly on the burner (make sure to move frequently or you will burn it) or in the microwave.

Step two: put your toppings in the center. I'm making a chicken chili cheese frito burrito with refried beans for my snack.

Step three: fold the near side of the tortilla over.

Step four: Using your fingers pull the top half back while smoothing out your pile of ingredients.

Steps five & six: fold the sides over and then roll!

If you're routinely busting your tortilla you either need larger tortillas, less ingredients, or a less tight roll.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Roger_Mudd posted:

These are tacos:

Fuel City? or Fuel Town?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Handmade fresh corn for street tacos is good. If they're from a package I want thin flour.

I buy those raw flour ones from Costco, in the cheese isle next to the six gallon tub of butter. Those things are the tits. Like nine bucks for sixty really high quality Tortillas that stay in the fridge for over a month. They've replaced bread for my whole family. Yum. They are flour which is, admittedly, slightly less good than corn, but they are not that pasty texture that the precooked flour ones have, and they stand up to abuse from sauces.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SlyFrog posted:

Someone explain to me how to fold a burrito well. My stubby, meat hands can't ever seem to manage it and they always somehow leak/fall apart.

(I can get it to not leak if I use less filling, but then it just feels like I'm eating a big mouth full of burrito shell.)

You have to get some steam on the tortilla to get it elastic. I do this by putting a steamer basket in a shallow but wide pan with a little bit of water in there. Get the biggest tortilla you can, put it in the steam with the top on for about 20 seconds.

Put it on a flat surface, spoon your ingredients into it in the middle of it, a little bit towards The side of the tortilla closer to you (call this the “bottom“ of the tortilla). Take the bottom tip of the tortilla and fold it over the feeling just a little bit past the filling and squeeze everything into a tight cylinder. Fold over the sides, and then grab the bottom of the burrito and roll it over away from you.

E: Mr Nice has shown the process much better than me, but I still maintain using a steamed tortilla will help you tremendously.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 21, 2017

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

This thread's got more lawyers talking about Mexican food than Tortilla Coast.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The thread title should be taco-related

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also flour tortillas are best except for with Baja fish tacos which are better with corn and I’m absolutely correct in this, no point replying

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also flour tortillas are best except for with Baja fish tacos which are better with corn and I’m absolutely correct in this, no point replying

Fuuuuuuck you

Double tiny corn tortilla street tacos, cebollas, cilantro, green sauce with death spice level.

Unless you're doing tinga, in which case, flour tortillas

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The only place corn tortillas belong is in Migas

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Fuckin realtalk though one time I got a bug in my ear and did corn tortillas for quesadillas instead of flower, fried them in olive oil instead of butter with tender fajita steak, tiny diced poblano and cilantro and monterrey jack cheese and holy gently caress were those good

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

E: Mr Nice has shown the process much better than me, but I still maintain using a steamed tortilla will help you tremendously.

Yours was still a nice Restatement of Tortillas.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

blarzgh posted:

Fuckin realtalk though one time I got a bug in my ear and did corn tortillas for quesadillas instead of flower, fried them in olive oil instead of butter with tender fajita steak, tiny diced poblano and cilantro and monterrey jack cheese and holy gently caress were those good

Tacos are like dogs. All tacos are good. Whatever taco is in front of me and mine is the best taco.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Those presses they use at Freebirds/Chipotle? I'm sure they're purpose-built nowadays, but originally they used shirt steam-presses like they have at the dry cleaners.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Lote posted:

Fuel City? or Fuel Town?

Fuel City #2

I know I should get corn tortillas. I like flour better but I know I'm wrong.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I think it’s time for a modern update. Perhaps this time about a sailor who runs away from the sea to try law. If only we knew someone who could tell such a tale.....

That almost ended up being me, but then this thread convinced me not to do law even though a ton of people were like "Oh you should be a maritime lawyer!"

Now I just do the maritime stuff and I have lawyers to do the law stuff for me. Highly recommend. Being able to go "Actually I think the status says ABC, but in practice it's XYC and also gently caress you I'm right" then have someone else do the legwork to prove it is pretty dope.

Also, for christ's sake, homemade corn tortillas with steak huarache all day everyday.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Roger_Mudd posted:

Fuel City #2

I know I should get corn tortillas. I like flour better but I know I'm wrong.

Where’s the second Fuel City? Also the negative reviews on Yelp for this place are hilarious. They can’t get past the fact that it’s in a gas station and the service is comparable to *gasp* a gas station.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Lote posted:

Where’s the second Fuel City? Also the negative reviews on Yelp for this place are hilarious. They can’t get past the fact that it’s in a gas station and the service is comparable to *gasp* a gas station.

35 and Inwood

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Roger_Mudd posted:

35 and Inwood

That's Fuel Town

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What about the Bullet Farm

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lote posted:

That's Fuel Town

I'm always staying at the Hiltons over there. Should I eat at fuel town y/n?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Burrito Pictures

Are you sure you don't want to move to the tragic state that is Utah? All I want now are burritos.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Awesome burrito technology specifications, thank you! I will be making use of them shortly.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

We did it, thread! We cured SlyFrog!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm going to advertise my burritos as a holistic cure for depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I recognize those tacos anywhere. The rice and beans are also solid. I'm considering getting them catered to some part of my wedding.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm always staying at the Hiltons over there. Should I eat at fuel town y/n?

Yes. They're open 24 hours but it gets sketchy past 1AM. That didn't stop me from going after a late night studying. You order then pay at the window with the gas station attendant.