Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it only needs to be more valuable than what Dragon stole, which in that case was nothing. but i don't see why it would be assumed to be a worthless lizard being transported illegally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

In particular, Snake says "Hey, lemme take the lizard and we can all walk out of this" and the guards were willing to try and kill him to keep it and, as it turned out, to die in a fire for it implies it had more value than one you'd pick up at PetSmart for a hundred bucks.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jng2058 posted:

In particular, Snake says "Hey, lemme take the lizard and we can all walk out of this" and the guards were willing to try and kill him to keep it and, as it turned out, to die in a fire for it implies it had more value than one you'd pick up at PetSmart for a hundred bucks.

they seemed willing to kill him for being an intruder period. i don't think they were willing to shoot him to death for lizard stealing, rather, cause he broke into their smuggling operation and they can't allow that

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Why would they waste their time smuggling non-rare lizards

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why would they waste their time smuggling non-rare lizards

you obviously don't understand the deep and fascinating world of lizard smuggling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you obviously don't understand the deep and fascinating world of lizard smuggling.

I saw a documentary on it once.

Most lizard smuggling is committed by college film students and based around fraud.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was really hoping Monkey would use her abilities in her fight, they seem perfectly suitable to fighting peacefully. If she was the best at it the Monkeys had ever seen, then it seems like she could transmute a road into quicksand pretty easily, and bam there's that fight done.

As it is now Rabbit seems like he can only be taken down by King Engine Ox, he's been left to gather up dudes for too long.

Oh, and my crazy Rat theory is that he's got a time looping ability and has been going through the Juuni Taisen multiple times. Using the ability is what makes him so sleepy. It also explains the deja vu everyone has about remembering him, and it makes my dream of Monkey's happy ending possible if we reset to another loop. I want to see the woman who stopped an impossible 200 international conflicts and 100 civil wars come out on top, that's the craziest offscreen feat we've heard of about anyone so far. That'd be like if every country on earth was with war with one other country and half of them were also somehow in a civil war, and she stopped all of it, it's just an insane amount of war to picture taking place (and we know there are more wars going on she hasn't stopped), so being able to stop so much of it makes her my fave character so far.

Of course I haven't seen past ep. 6 yet so I'm sure I have at least some tragedy ahead of me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monkey's hubris was a little weird; doesn't seem to suit her character, and you'd think someone who has ended hundreds of wars/conflicts would have learned not to underestimate people. Same sorta goes for Sheep; you'd think such a veteran would have learned to always be cautious around these ridiculous magical powered fighters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Monkey's hubris was a little weird; doesn't seem to suit her character, and you'd think someone who has ended hundreds of wars/conflicts would have learned not to underestimate people. Same sorta goes for Sheep; you'd think such a veteran would have learned to always be cautious around these ridiculous magical powered fighters.

Yeah, it's kind of poor writing. Like, the fact that anyone is underestimating anyone else in this competition (outside of Boar due to her characterization) is kind of ridiculous. They should all be well aware that everyone is a seriously skilled warrior, yet they keep letting their guards down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, it's kind of poor writing. Like, the fact that anyone is underestimating anyone else in this competition (outside of Boar due to her characterization) is kind of ridiculous. They should all be well aware that everyone is a seriously skilled warrior, yet they keep letting their guards down.

I can sort of understand Sheep in the sense that it's possible Tiger's attitude/behavior is genuinely unusual and that it's not unheard of for families to be forced to send under-qualified people into the competition (that is, it's possible Tiger reminded him of other under-qualified people sent into past competitions).

Monkey makes less sense, given that it had already been established that Rabbit was a serious threat and her personality just doesn't seem like one that would look down on people. I mean, I guess I can understand her thinking "it seems like Rabbit's success has been more due to his nectromatist abilities than his melee fighting," but she still seems like the type of person to take all necessary precautions.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
maybe she was tired out from all the bird thwacking and wasn't thinking things through

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
rabbit also has double the eyes that monkey has. it's not bad writing that rabbit was able to outplay monkey here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Genocyber posted:

this Taisen was going to draft a Sheep that was in grade school (and Rat is a teenager) so there's really no guarantee the contestants will have a significant level of skill. there are also contestants like Tiger, Rabbit, Horse, and Rat(?) who are coming into this with little or no reputation. but this is all stuff that's hard to judge without significant knowledge of past Taisens i suppose.

re: Monkey's fight with Rabbit. in the book, it's insanely short and her thought process is detailed as 1) being a bit unstable after being forced to attack the zombie birds and 2) rather than having any sort of hubris, she sees an opportunity to incapacitate Rabbit and begins to think rapidly along that line instead of considering other options. i suppose that is a sort of hubris, but it's not conveyed in a way that comes off as her looking down on him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway i don't mean for the book stuff to act as some sort of defense of the anime, since i feel like while the show is interesting it's really hurt by how it has executed this rearranged version of events, in addition to some very mixed attempts at expanding character backstory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

I'm catching up on this, but, did Sheep not have any power? He was ridiculously physically fit, perhaps, but other than that he didn't do anything particularly special, just shot and blew up people and stuff, and that level of fitness isn't anything special in this universe anyway. Given that everyone else who's been elaborated upon seems to have at least some sort of ability, it's surprising and odd that he lacks one.

I know that Ox is stated not to have any powers. He is just fast, and skilled.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sheep has no special power (due to age), and Old Timer was basically his equivalent to one.

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
I think we'll get to see Old Timer do its thing before the show ends.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know that Ox is stated not to have any powers. He is just fast, and skilled.

Well, that one is a surprise. Though I guess that it's possible in a universe where people were doing all the other crazy physical stuff they've been doing without powers too it's plausible. Still odd that even wonder-drugged Chicken was inferior to him though.

GrudgeOnion posted:

I think we'll get to see Old Timer do its thing before the show ends.

Given how many times it was brought up and the number of lingering shots on it both before and after Sheep's death, yeah, it seems like it kind of has to go off eventually. Pretty much every other little thing was relevant, even if it had to come after the owner's death (such as Boar's Non-Reload killing many more birds for Rabbit to claim and showing that Rabbit's victims retain their powers).

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
Given the series making each character somewhat look like the animal they represent, the Ox character looks more like a horse and the horse character look like he should have been the Ox.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

dogsicle posted:

this Taisen was going to draft a Sheep that was in grade school (and Rat is a teenager) so there's really no guarantee the contestants will have a significant level of skill. there are also contestants like Tiger, Rabbit, Horse, and Rat(?) who are coming into this with little or no reputation. but this is all stuff that's hard to judge without significant knowledge of past Taisens i suppose.

re: Monkey's fight with Rabbit. in the book, it's insanely short and her thought process is detailed as 1) being a bit unstable after being forced to attack the zombie birds and 2) rather than having any sort of hubris, she sees an opportunity to incapacitate Rabbit and begins to think rapidly along that line instead of considering other options. i suppose that is a sort of hubris, but it's not conveyed in a way that comes off as her looking down on him.

If you, a skilled fighter, are getting hand picked to participate in a (somehow) very important death match you should at the very least expect the others to be chosen, regardless of whether or not it actually is like that. Especially if you can't confirm it you should be cautious.

And hubris does not mean you're looking down on someone per se. You can overestimate yourself, or your situation/position, without looking down on someone. It's the difference between gauging someone/thing, and having smug opinions about those observations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

If you, a skilled fighter, are getting hand picked to participate in a (somehow) very important death match you should at the very least expect the others to be chosen, regardless of whether or not it actually is like that. Especially if you can't confirm it you should be cautious.

And hubris does not mean you're looking down on someone per se. You can overestimate yourself, or your situation/position, without looking down on someone. It's the difference between gauging someone/thing, and having smug opinions about those observations.

That said, Sheep ended his last JT in half an hour because the other eleven folks were too dumb to realise how incredibly dangerous fighting in space was.

Doesn’t seem like the sort of experience that would give you a healthy respect for the talent you’d be up against.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

That said, Sheep ended his last JT in half an hour because the other eleven folks were too dumb to realise how incredibly dangerous fighting in space was.

Doesn’t seem like the sort of experience that would give you a healthy respect for the talent you’d be up against.

I wonder how that'd affect the betting; going straight from 12 to 1, assuming he pulled his trick right away, doesn't give time for the "half the crowd's dead, place your bets" thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another new episode focused on the Brothers. They are terrible people

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I, for one, am shocked.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this episode was bad

really bad

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i did like how they said the Robin Hood thing of stealing from the rich and giving it to the poor just led to them getting brutally murdered

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So like did the episode look more like a rough draft to anyone else

I normally don't notice or care when I do but good lord did pretty much the entire thing look unfinished

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dragonatrix posted:

So like did the episode look more like a rough draft to anyone else

I normally don't notice or care when I do but good lord did pretty much the entire thing look unfinished

yeah p much

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Concur, the art was rushed and clumsy, and there was no good action to speak of. Pretty much a filler ep, since we already knew that Snake and Dragon were a couple of shits from the previous ep. Hell, they didn't even finish off Snake's body, or kill Dragon!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Dragon's plan is probably to freeze them in place, wait for snake's corpse to take them out, then finish off the corpse? But maybe he somehow triggers sheep's bomb (if tiger still has it) and they all die, who knows

Also I'm pretty sure Tiger should've been more badly burned considering how much gasoline there was but whatever

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Also I'm pretty sure Tiger should've been more badly burned considering how much gasoline there was but whatever

Considering she drank gasoline to no ill effects. She may just be inhuman enough to shrug it off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figure if anyone knows about sheep's bomb, it would be dragon. he's been watching everything.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd actually argue that this duology (but mostly this episode) was fairly important to the story as a whole. It brought to the forefront a conflict that has been simmering in the background for most of the show, the tension between the Warriors' roles as entertainers and mercenaries. The Reptile Brothers weren't on trial for doing something illegal, and previous episodes have shown that it would be ludicrous to judge any Warrior for doing something dishonourable or unethical. They were on trial to judge whether they fitted the JT's sense of aesthetics. Were they good characters for the greatest and most exclusive show on Earth? Observe how when the prosecution asserted that they were bad mercenaries (because they collaborated to eliminate their employers despite having theoretically opposing missions), the defence tried to assert that their apparent Robin Hood tendencies made them valuable additions to the Twelve. That doesn't address the argument unless you accept that the argument has nothing to do with their competence, but their appeal - and as Dragon points out, that need for the Warriors to be somehow appealing is pretty much at odds with the other criterion of them being the world's greatest killers.

The metacommentary is obvious here - how do you make a battle royale appealing and engaging when you're stuck with the sort of cast who would voluntarily enter a lurid, ritualised fight to the death? How do you make them fun to watch? How do you make the audience root for them? Do they have to be conventionally likeable? Is their trade entirely incompatible with their humanity? The reptile brothers weren't conventional heroes, but they did have little elements that made them fun to watch - their goofy sense of humour, their unapologetic acceptance of who they were, and their little, hastily-buried moments of sentiment. I don't think it was a coincidence that they showed Snake's bizarre funeral for his pet immediately after he mocked that kid for mourning his brother, or that Dragon flashed back to the time he saved his brother's life before he descended to fight two of the most lethal people in the city alongside Snake's mutilated husk. I don't think it was a coincidence that Dragon explicitly tied Snake's massive boost in combat effectiveness to the loss of his humanity.

Most of the more conventionally likeable Warriors are dead now, and I think the Snake/Dragon duology was an important statement on where the show plans to go from here now that we're left with the true monsters.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the warrior court was the dumbest part of the episode

also, what kind of judge defends the defendant?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

the warrior court was the dumbest part of the episode

also, what kind of judge defends the defendant?

It was obviously not a formal legal affair - except insofar as it was performed by people with a shitload of money, a shitload of power, and a certain, negotiable respect for tradition, which can look very much like a formal legal affair in certain lights.

Remember, this is a world in which geopolitical decisions affecting millions are shaped by bored, hedonistic politicians gambling on bloodsports. Which is another subtextual theme that this duology openly acknowledged, actually, with the reptile twins’ speech to that kid. The J.T. management’s desire to see the best in its more blatantly amoral warriors is fairly transparently a desire to see the best in themselves, to convince themselves that they aren’t the bad guys, even as they openly disparage the accomplishments of genuinely virtuous people like Monkey who have spent their lives opposing all they represent.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Also, how good is dragon's eyesight that he can see poo poo from all the way up there

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Also, how good is dragon's eyesight that he can see poo poo from all the way up there
Snake didn't need no head to keep chasing Rat.

Darth Walrus posted:

It was obviously not a formal legal affair - except insofar as it was performed by people with a shitload of money, a shitload of power, and a certain, negotiable respect for tradition, which can look very much like a formal legal affair in certain lights.

Remember, this is a world in which geopolitical decisions affecting millions are shaped by bored, hedonistic politicians gambling on bloodsports. Which is another subtextual theme that this duology openly acknowledged, actually, with the reptile twins’ speech to that kid. The J.T. management’s desire to see the best in its more blatantly amoral warriors is fairly transparently a desire to see the best in themselves, to convince themselves that they aren’t the bad guys, even as they openly disparage the accomplishments of genuinely virtuous people like Monkey who have spent their lives opposing all they represent.
This reminds me of a Simpsons Comic in which Mister Burns determined the stock market's rises or plunges based on a Weasel Race.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

Snake didn't need no head to keep chasing Rat.

Well, that's due to Snake's power, since he feels vibrations through the ground. It's why he didn't react to Rat peeking out to see if he was still being followed, only him moving his feet and so on.

This is pretty interesting. Thanks for writing this. It'd also be a commentary on the genre and similar types of shows, with all the same points basically, I imagine, albeit somewhat less judge-y about it since it's fictional and whatnot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man that episode was terrible. The animation was all over the place, all the faces looked horrible. Plotwise it was completely useless to. Im guessing this was an outsourced episode?

• Locked thread