Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Did ACA repeal happen?

The most important reason it failed is because of unprecedented Democratic partisan solidarity. The second reason is marginal Republican senators who felt pressure from committed activists as well as voters who weren't committed Republicans. But there's a reason activists focused on motivating voters in vulnerable districts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Crain posted:

Russia's not buying botnets to astroturf the place anymore. Now it's only the true believers at /r/The_Donald trying to replicate their massively inflated success during 2016 and it just isn't going to work.

Why let some foreign idiots take away jobs from local idiots who are perfectly willing to do it for free?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Maybe this will prompt them to expand fiber to places that aren't the middle of loving nowhere or cities where all their programmers live. Let me give you money, you assholes, you're the lesser of two evils compared to Cox.

Trump, Pai, and the FCC generally will work their hardest to stop the expansion of alternative ISPs, because gently caress You.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cabbit posted:

Maybe this will prompt them to expand fiber to places that aren't the middle of loving nowhere or cities where all their programmers live. Let me give you money, you assholes, you're the lesser of two evils compared to Cox.

Even in a city that they are in now it is not so great. The other ISPs take them to court for every single utility pole Google wants to use, at least here in Austin that is what has delayed them.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The most important reason it failed is because of unprecedented Democratic partisan solidarity. The second reason is marginal Republican senators who felt pressure from committed activists as well as voters who weren't committed Republicans. But there's a reason activists focused on motivating voters in vulnerable districts.

Also McCain was feeling more spiteful than usual one day and decided to make a show of it.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If this stupid bill gets passed someone should just invent an alternate internet where this poo poo doesn’t go on. Call it internet v2 or something.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Flip Yr Wig posted:

That's a hell of a lot of backpatting and creative narrative there guy. It was unpopular among nearly all demographics. Surprise, surprise GOP voters get sick too

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

disjoe posted:

Trump, Pai, and the FCC generally will work their hardest to stop the expansion of alternative ISPs, because gently caress You.

If I had to bet between Google and the US government, I'm betting on Google. The arc of history always bends towards cyberpunk.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is going to sound crazy but has anyone noticed that over the last few months /r/politics became like actually okay? Like it's not good, it's not good as this thread even but it's weird that it's gone from 4chan trashfire to like, kinda normal human news topics in like half a year.

It's been wholly anti-Trump since Hillary won the nomination.

It's still Reddit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vladimir Putin posted:

If this stupid bill gets passed someone should just invent an alternate internet where this poo poo doesn’t go on. Call it internet v2 or something.

There is an internet 2.0 but it's all research and university stuff on the backbone.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Knowing the idiocy of this administration I am going to guess that someone sent Trump's tax returns through their private Gmail account and Google has been sitting on it for leverage at a later date.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Well, bad news. I'm being moved to part-time next pay period because of financial issues.

After a year of freelancing, four months of part-time I was finally given full time. It didn't even last three month. My benefits never even kicked in. At least I'm keeping the pay raise and just losing the benefits and 11 hours a week.

I'm loving done though. No more initiative, no more volunteering for poo poo. I will do the bare minimum from now on because what the gently caress is the point?

The American Dream is dead.

I'm possibly several pages late on this, but if no one has already said it, you may qualify for unemployment benefits if your hours are cut. Depending on your state, you might also qualify for some sort of health benefits (I'm from MA, so no idea how true that is in other states, but worth a look at least).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ague Proof posted:

It's been wholly anti-Trump since Hillary won the nomination.

It's still Reddit.

It's weirdly mostly reasonable posts. It's weird because mostly everything only gets worse forever and that forum went from 4chan stuff to anti-trump to like, a normal human forum. It's not anything especially great but it's pretty unobjectionable now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
SA and Reddit have always been like 90% crossover demographics until Reddit got so massive that it's just a reflection of the general younger population (under 50)

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Do not let the relationship between toxic masculinity and fascism wane from your sight

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

which is to say he's officially ignoring conscription of child soldiers in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Myanmar

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
There's a guy on CNN right now for Moore's campaign who is the biggest Good Ol' Boy ever who is railing against anything and everyone, including "fake news", Mitch McConnell, "the transgenders", partial-birth abortions, etc. It's vile.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/don_chump/status/933057957415223297
The stuff about Eli Mosley is absolutely mad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cabbit posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with Cox because FiOS is available in my neighborhood

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
and the hits keep coming. my sweet innocent Pixars :smith:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n..._medium=referra

https://twitter.com/THR/status/933064790318223360l

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FilthyImp posted:

There is an internet 2.0 but it's all research and university stuff on the backbone.

What are you referring to?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

That's a hell of a lot of backpatting and creative narrative there guy. It was unpopular among nearly all demographics. Surprise, surprise GOP voters get sick too

Sure, but the Republicans still overwhelmingly voted for it. Most of them were more motivated by fear of being primaried than their electorate abandoning them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

https://www.internet2.edu/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

No mention from him or the article what happened except for "painful conversations about missteps". Too drat vague.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

There's a guy on CNN right now for Moore's campaign who is the biggest Good Ol' Boy ever who is railing against anything and everyone, including "fake news", Mitch McConnell, "the transgenders", partial-birth abortions, etc. It's vile.

Of course CNN gives a fucktard like that a platform to speak.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

No mention from him or the article what happened except for "painful conversations about missteps". Too drat vague.

His letter is in the article, and it expressly mentions things like "unwanted hugs."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bottom Liner posted:

He talks about difficult conversions and apologizes to anyone he's given an uncomfortable, inappropriate hug.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There Bias Two posted:

There is literally a second internet, separate from the one we're posting on right now. Access to it is strictly controlled and commercial traffic is not permitted so it flies under the radar. You can generally only get on it from universities or research institutions.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trump on Moore: he denies it, that's all I can say
Trump on Moore, also: we don't need a liberal Democrat in that seat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bottom Liner posted:

That could just be their last few movies sucking.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

canepazzo posted:

Trump on Moore: he denies it, that's all I can say
Trump on Moore, also: we don't need a liberal Democrat there.

https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/933067400643309568

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mango sentinel posted:

He talks about difficult conversions and apologizes to anyone he's given an uncomfortable, inappropriate hug.

That's it, everyone is getting Mensa stickers.

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

Finally justice for Miyazaki...

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
How best do we decide the fate of these embers?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

haveblue posted:

There is literally a second internet, separate from the one we're posting on right now. Access to it is strictly controlled and commercial traffic is not permitted so it flies under the radar. You can generally only get on it from universities or research institutions.

So we're just going to reenact the original opening up of the internet to the public? Wow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Keep scrolling, the next article down has rumors from insider sources. "Missteps" refers to pretty much exactly what you think it might after the last week or two.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Burning_Monk posted:

That's it, everyone is getting Mensa stickers.

Are they really Mensa and not just autism stickers?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Zil posted:

Are they really Mensa and not just autism stickers?

Both.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Out of curiosity, before the FCC decided to classify the internet as a utility back in 2015, what exactly was stopping ISPs from segregating content and making pay-for-specific-content plans like we all know is going to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So how likely is that Steam is over when net neutrality is repealed?

• Locked thread