Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

QuarkMartial posted:

I want to smoke a turkey breast for Thanksgiving this year. Bought a 5-6lb breast(or maybe two 3ish lb breasts), and I need some tips to keep from messing them up.

Keeping the breast moist is the key. I usually spatchcock a whole bird (turns out wonderful), but the last time I did just turkey breasts...and they were huge, I did a butter injection and latticed it with bacon, turned out awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

QuarkMartial posted:

I want to smoke a turkey breast for Thanksgiving this year. Bought a 5-6lb breast(or maybe two 3ish lb breasts), and I need some tips to keep from messing them up.

I guess I'll just state the obvious which you probably already know...don't overcook the bird. Turkey (especially the breast) is not very forgivable in that regard. I'd yank at 160-165 and foil and rest for a 1/2 hr.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nhilist posted:

Keeping the breast moist is the key. I usually spatchcock a whole bird (turns out wonderful), but the last time I did just turkey breasts...and they were huge, I did a butter injection and latticed it with bacon, turned out awesome.

When I smoke a chicken I always spatchcock. This year will be the first time trying it with a turkey. It's a 20lb bastard...hopefully it fits. :v:

Couple years back I did a whole turkey in a pan on the smoker. It was cold outside. Smoker ran out of fuel. Not a proud moment. Especially when your oven isn't big enough.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

If you're doing just turkey breast, I recommend Aaron Franklin's (give you a heart attack) Turkey Breast. It's super simple and is definitely good:

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-6-poultry-sauce/ Jump to 15:53 for the turkey prep and smoking.

https://houseandhome.com/recipe/bbq-turkey-breast-recipe/

Ingredients: Turkey, Salt, Pepper, Lots of butter. Dont forget to redip the turkey slices in butter before you serve.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

atothesquiz posted:

If you're doing just turkey breast, I recommend Aaron Franklin's (give you a heart attack) Turkey Breast. It's super simple and is definitely good:

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-6-poultry-sauce/ Jump to 15:53 for the turkey prep and smoking.

https://houseandhome.com/recipe/bbq-turkey-breast-recipe/

Ingredients: Turkey, Salt, Pepper, Lots of butter. Dont forget to redip the turkey slices in butter before you serve.

The butter/rub does away with the need for brining?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

bewbies posted:

The thing about this is read the package. You'll notice (unless you ordered a "fresh bird" from a butcher) birds will be brined. The 10% solution or whatever gives that away.

That way they can charge more per pound with less cost.

Edit: should add...I'm planning on injecting butter and stuff.

Sorry for the confusion.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 14, 2017

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

bewbies posted:

Yes, you're essentially smoking the turkey a bit, then braising it in butter.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

My local takeaway shop now (in "little town", England) does faux-BBQ:

Oven-roasted diced brisket in liquid-smoke sauce. Tastes pretty good all things considering.

Reminds me I need to get the smoker fired up before Christmas...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that actually looks really good

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

BritishRacingGreen posted:

Did you make that bacon on your PBC? I've been considering giving bacon a shot sometime soon on mine.

No, I did all of that in my Performer. But now that I know it's so good, I will buy another, bigger belly and do it in my PBC.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Smoked my first turkey today as a test bird for hosting our first Thanksgiving next week.

My basic process was more or less based on the Amazing Ribs recipe. Simon and Garfunkle rub, injected with creole butter (mostly in the white meat), dried in a fridge for 36 hours, cooked at 275 in my MES with apple pellets, and pulled at just over 162 degrees and thrown into a 400 degree oven until it hit 165 to crisp the skin.

My number one fear was drying out the breast, since about 90% of the turkeys I've ever eaten at thanksgiving had miserable, dry breast meat. Thankfully the breast turned out very moist. It was fairly tasty, but definitely should've had more salt for flavor. I hadn't added any salt pre-cook because I wasn't sure how much it had been injected with, but I'll definitely be dry-brining for actual thanksgiving.

My other big concern was the skin and here I was less successful. It wasn't rubbery, but it was pretty tough and not very tasty. Has anyone had success getting crisp, tasty turkey skin from a smoker?

edit: Fixed typo. The skin wasn't rubbery, just tough.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 19, 2017

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yes - just make sure it's dry before cooking. That's generally the reason for letting it rest in the fridge, as most fridges basically do dehumification, which will reduce the moisture in the outer layer of the turkey (Ie - the skin).

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
I was going to ask the same thing. My test turkey last week had awful skin (tough puts it lightly.) I also have an MES, dried it in the fridge while salting/dry brining, put it in the oven at the end. Had onions under the skin to tent it up.
Should I baste more during the smoke? Take the breast skin off before the smoke? Thanks for any help!

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
I got nice crackling skin last year. I dry brined for two days in the fridge, injected butter in the breasts the day before and rubbed more butter and herbs under the skin. Then I rubbed the butter herb blend on the outside as well. I never took it off the smoker, just pulled the water pan at the end and temps shot up to 500.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Got a new kamado grill and will be doing my first pork shoulder in it tomorrow. All the recepies I see say to foil, towel and put in a cooler to let it rest after cooking.

I don't have a cooler to hand and am wondering if I can let it rest in a cast iron pan? Can always pre-heat it a little before hand if that would help.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Stupid Decisions posted:

Got a new kamado grill and will be doing my first pork shoulder in it tomorrow. All the recepies I see say to foil, towel and put in a cooler to let it rest after cooking.

I don't have a cooler to hand and am wondering if I can let it rest in a cast iron pan? Can always pre-heat it a little before hand if that would help.

Go to Walmart and get a disposable styrofoam one for $3.

My neighbors moved thad used a bunch of those to transport their frozen goods for the 3 hour drive. I now have a stack them to use any time I go fishing or smoke a pork butt.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Stupid Decisions posted:

You're basically just letting the meat cool down slowly and reabsorb juices in the resting process. Wrapping it in foil and putting it in the oven will accomplish the same thing. If you're eating soon, just leave the oven off, but if you need to hold it for a long time you can just turn the oven to 145f or whatever. The cooler will just slow down the process a little bit, which can be a plus or a minus depending on what your timing it. Frankly I rest my pork butts, but they're not exactly ruined if you start the pulling process right off the smoker.

As an aside, Meathead (the amazing ribs guy) has basically called resting meat a myth. I briefly believed it, until I tried resting various meats after cooking and noticed significantly less moisture loss.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 20, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stupid Decisions posted:

I just wrap my stuff in foil and put it in the microwave. it works great

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

bewbies posted:

I just wrap my stuff in foil and put it in the microwave. it works great

Note: don't turn on the microwave. (I do this too)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Thanks for the turkey info... I am thinking of smoking it on Wednesday, then reheating on Thursday. Any issues with this? I know people do it all the time with pork, but it's less likely to dry out than turkey.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Doing my first turkey and a Snake River Farm brisket on Thursday so I appreciate the turkey talk.

Going to do the brisket overnight and get the bird on the smoker come morning once the brisket is done. Gotta love being able to hold a brisket for so long in a cooler if needed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, room permitting...invest in a cooler. It eliminates a lot of screwing around and stress of when things will be done. Pork butt done a few hours early before dinner? Throw it in the cooler and it will be fine. Sadly I can't remember the last time I used a cooler to keep something cool (besides thawing something). I use them to keep things warm. :v:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, room permitting...invest in a cooler. It eliminates a lot of screwing around and stress of when things will be done. Pork butt done a few hours early before dinner? Throw it in the cooler and it will be fine. Sadly I can't remember the last time I used a cooler to keep something cool (besides thawing something). I use them to keep things warm. :v:

You don't keep a cooler full of beer around when smoking? FOR SHAME.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately UK supermarkets don't seem to sell coolers in November so one is on order from Amazon.

Anyway, the meat is on the grill and I can't wait.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

therobit posted:

You don't keep a cooler full of beer around when smoking? FOR SHAME.

If it makes you feel better, my garage fridge is full of beer.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been exploring turkey leg techniques also, and there seems to be a real cult for "Disney" turkey legs. Is there any consensus on the best recipe?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I chalked it up to Disney weirdos.

I poached my turkey legs when I spatchcocked my bird for thanksgiving 2 years ago.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, if you want decent skin on a bird you need to do 325+.

There are other tricks, like scraping behind the skin before the cook. Hit it with cooking spray. Tossing it under a broiler to "fry" it would be another suggestion.

Fortunately none of my family cares for the skin so I don't worry about it much.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I'm going to smoke the Turkey for thanksgiving, I did it last year and it ended up a little salty because I brined it, but also used one of those "enhanced" turkeys that are already brined.

I want to add the other flavors of the brine into the turkey so I still want to brine it, would you just half or eliminate the salt from a normal brine recipe?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Smoked my first turkey today as a test bird for hosting our first Thanksgiving next week.

My basic process was more or less based on the Amazing Ribs recipe. Simon and Garfunkle rub, injected with creole butter (mostly in the white meat), dried in a fridge for 36 hours, cooked at 275 in my MES with apple pellets, and pulled at just over 162 degrees and thrown into a 400 degree oven until it hit 165 to crisp the skin.

My number one fear was drying out the breast, since about 90% of the turkeys I've ever eaten at thanksgiving had miserable, dry breast meat. Thankfully the breast turned out very moist. It was fairly tasty, but definitely should've had more salt for flavor. I hadn't added any salt pre-cook because I wasn't sure how much it had been injected with, but I'll definitely be dry-brining for actual thanksgiving.

My other big concern was the skin and here I was less successful. It wasn't rubbery, but it was pretty tough and not very tasty. Has anyone had success getting crisp, tasty turkey skin from a smoker?

edit: Fixed typo. The skin wasn't rubbery, just tough.

Do you know what your time in the smoker was? I am trying to plan out doing 2 turkeys one after another in my smoker and I think last year it was about 3 1/2 hours in the smoker then into the over for 10 minutes at 450 to crisp the skin.

edit: I went back and found my post from last year and I guess I did around 3 1/2 hours then in the oven at 500 for 15 minutes to glaze and crisp skin.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 21, 2017

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

McSpankWich posted:

So I'm going to smoke the Turkey for thanksgiving, I did it last year and it ended up a little salty because I brined it, but also used one of those "enhanced" turkeys that are already brined.

I want to add the other flavors of the brine into the turkey so I still want to brine it, would you just half or eliminate the salt from a normal brine recipe?

Why not do a dry rub (with no salt) or a wet rub?

If you look at the package, how much sodium per serving is listed?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

McSpankWich posted:

A late reply but wondered what you ended up doing and can you recall your original brine recipe?

I brined a "brined" store turkey. And just yanked it out and it is drying in the fridge for tomorrow before I smoke the big bird. Basically was a cup of sugar, a cup of salt, some brown sugar, a couple onions, garlic, a ton of peppercorn, etc. and probably 2 gallons of water. Basically was tossing in the kitchen sink in this brine. Not too worried with osmosis/diffusion that no one can seem to agree on. We will see.

Some birds are 10% solution. The really el-cheapo ones are 15%. Gotta keep your eye out.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
gently caress Maverick. I have a unit that I have used 3 times in less than a year and now the probes or the unit is hosed up. Both probes are reading high one at 100 and the other at 212 when in ICE WATER. How can both probes go bad sitting in a box for 2 weeks? They were fine when I used them 2 weeks ago for a rack of ribs. Now I have a turkey in and a 2nd ready to follow with only a super cheap instant read to use. After I have some coffee I think I am going to go see if Meijer has anything decent or at least a 2nd instant read just to be safe.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got a turkey on and I'm trying to keep it at 265F. Every time I add chips (so, twice now) the temp spikes to 375F.

It's a bone in breast, and I've got it skin side up, bones toward the fire. I injected butter and seasoning, and I'll wrap it and add more butter to the outside later. I'm hoping these spikes settle down and don't dry it out. Never had bad spikes like this before.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

gently caress Maverick. I have a unit that I have used 3 times in less than a year and now the probes or the unit is hosed up. Both probes are reading high one at 100 and the other at 212 when in ICE WATER. How can both probes go bad sitting in a box for 2 weeks? They were fine when I used them 2 weeks ago for a rack of ribs. Now I have a turkey in and a 2nd ready to follow with only a super cheap instant read to use. After I have some coffee I think I am going to go see if Meijer has anything decent or at least a 2nd instant read just to be safe.

I got one of these and had a probe short out or something, too, reading over 150*F at room temperature. I ordered another probe on amazon, see how this one goes.
E: the probe arrived and the new one still reads hot in both ports on the remote transmitter. The old one, mysteriously, is accurate in both ports.

Knew I should have just sprung for the thermoworks one in the first place. I can’t recommend anyone buy the maverick.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 23, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Trastion posted:

Try baking the probes in the oven for an hour at 350 and then let them cool down completely, worked for me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Trastion posted:

gently caress Maverick.

Yeah, I was going to test mine last week to make sure they worked before today but forgot about it. Luckily they worked this morning.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Well, it looks okay. About to rub with butter and wrap with foil.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mikey Purp posted:

Try baking the probes in the oven for an hour at 350 and then let them cool down completely, worked for me.

I read this on their site but not even going to bother right now. I went and bought 2 cheap ones from Meijer. They have a sale buy 1 get one for $1 on all NON-OXO brand kitchen utensiles. One is just an instant read the other has a probe but no wifi or anything. I will buy a Smoke or something soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Colostomy Bag posted:

A late reply but wondered what you ended up doing and can you recall your original brine recipe?

I brined a "brined" store turkey. And just yanked it out and it is drying in the fridge for tomorrow before I smoke the big bird. Basically was a cup of sugar, a cup of salt, some brown sugar, a couple onions, garlic, a ton of peppercorn, etc. and probably 2 gallons of water. Basically was tossing in the kitchen sink in this brine. Not too worried with osmosis/diffusion that no one can seem to agree on. We will see.

Some birds are 10% solution. The really el-cheapo ones are 15%. Gotta keep your eye out.

Mine was actually only 3% so I just halved the salt in the brine. Smoker is at 300 now and I'm about to pop the bird in. Should be done in ~3 hours. Hopefully it won't be too salty but I think it will be ok.

Brine was salt, brown sugar, some halved oranges, quartered apples, cloves, apple cider, ice water.

Hopefully it will inch it's way up to 375... seems to be topping out at 300.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 23, 2017