Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I would be fine of season two involved another super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

moths posted:

That makes sense - I think what threw me was the detective calling it hers in the debriefing.

She corrects him right after that, saying it's technically not her gun.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
What was cool about this season was that Frank Castle has definitely watched Princess Bride. He got the "to the pain" duel completely and utterly correct.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Punisher season two will probably be Jigsaw, I think. The one time Frank doesn't kill a guy...

I think my top picks for a season two villain who isn't Jigsaw would be The Rev (I could see a Charles Manson take being really creepy and effective, and fit right into the tone of the Punisher so far) or Johnny Nightmare. Ma Gnucci could also be fun - the mobsters Frank kills at the end of episode one are noted to be Gnuccis, and one says that the Gnuccis have risen to power in the NYC underworld after the Kingpin was thrown in prison. Though I don't think the Gnuccis could carry an entire season on their own.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Punisher vs gangsters would be kind of boring.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If season 2 has any sense it’ll carry on the idea of the long-term echoes of violence from this one, just giving a new take on it. I guess the Gnuccis could come into that if it was less “Punisher mows through the mob” and more “Punisher meets the Sopranos”

Though if they start next season with a shot-for-shot rendition of the World War Three in North Jersey scene from the beginning of MAX... I mean, I hate to just ask them to film Ennis scenes but it could be incredible. War Zone’s version of that was just... lame.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cythereal posted:

Punisher season two will probably be Jigsaw, I think. The one time Frank doesn't kill a guy...

I think my top picks for a season two villain who isn't Jigsaw would be The Rev (I could see a Charles Manson take being really creepy and effective, and fit right into the tone of the Punisher so far) or Johnny Nightmare. Ma Gnucci could also be fun - the mobsters Frank kills at the end of episode one are noted to be Gnuccis, and one says that the Gnuccis have risen to power in the NYC underworld after the Kingpin was thrown in prison. Though I don't think the Gnuccis could carry an entire season on their own.
They could always bring in Barracuda

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jigsaw hooking up with the Gnucci family would be low hanging fruit, but could also be fun.

I just hope they don't keep mining the Cerberus angle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One villain I'd like to see but I think would probably be a terrible idea is an adaptation of Saracen. A man just like Frank, whose family Frank killed in Afghanistan. I like the idea of Frank meeting his equal, who behaves in exactly the same way for exactly the same reasons, and the show acknowledging that these two men really are the same. But I think using a version of Saracen would risk being very racist and very politically uncomfortable.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They should stick with DDS2 Frank -- at odds with both the hero and the villain of other series. Jigsaw as an antagonist for Daredevil or Luke Cage makes the most sense.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Season 2 of Punisher should be Frank taking on The Hand, Stick, Iron Fist and Elektra.

Kidding, obviously, but I wouldn't mind a further tie in to DD, especially if DDs3 gives us Bullseye because I think a triangulation with him, Fisk and DD could be pretty sweet. You could retcon Bullseye and make him an elite sniper from Frank's team or something and then follow through on the the very cool table setting that DDs2 did with Wilson and Frank in prison. Expand on that. There may be a way to make room for Elektra and Nuke in there too if it were done sparingly.

Anyone else notice that the less mystical and more grounded the Netflix shows are, the better they've been?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ugh, please, no more Hand, no more Stick, no more Elektra. I think Frank should be kept in his own little world, only occasionally intersecting with the Defenders. Frank worked in Daredevil because Daredevil's central theme is the concept of justice and the question of what justice is and how it should be obtained. Frank presented a useful contrary viewpoint to Matt there. But what does Frank have to say about a show with a theme of abuse, particularly sexual abuse and getting through it? Or a show that asks the question what a gifted person should use their gifts for. I could kind of see it with Luke Cage, since that show's theme is one of community and peoples' relationships with it, but I don't know if Frank and Luke would have much potential for interesting interaction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm a fan of the mystical stuff in the comics, but it definitely works better when it's consistent - which the Netflix shows have had problems maintaining.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Arist posted:

There are no references to Defenders in Punisher.

I don't think I caught any Marvel references at all to be honest.

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone else notice that the less mystical and more grounded the Netflix shows are, the better they've been?

I think they're just doing it badly. The magic stuff in the first season of DD with the undead ninjas and Gao were pretty good.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Ugh, please, no more Hand, no more Stick, no more Elektra. I think Frank should be kept in his own little world, only occasionally intersecting with the Defenders. Frank worked in Daredevil because Daredevil's central theme is the concept of justice and the question of what justice is and how it should be obtained. Frank presented a useful contrary viewpoint to Matt there. But what does Frank have to say about a show with a theme of abuse, particularly sexual abuse and getting through it? Or a show that asks the question what a gifted person should use their gifts for. I could kind of see it with Luke Cage, since that show's theme is one of community and peoples' relationships with it, but I don't know if Frank and Luke would have much potential for interesting interaction.

Frank and Luke would have different ideas about how to resolve gang violence in a community; also, bullets man vs. no bullets man. I don't think Frank has anything to offer Iron Fist other than insults, but I would be on board with one scene of that in a future Defenders. A fight between untrained-but-strong Jessica Jones and an unarmed Castle would be a reasonable match, and in terms of private investigation, Micro with and against Jessica Jones could be good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Ugh, please, no more Hand, no more Stick, no more Elektra.

I was joking about that, dude. Yes, that would suck bad. Weaving Fisk into Frank's world has shown it can work really well though.

^^^edit^^^ what are Jessica Jones powers supposed to be anyway? I still can't figure them out. She threw a lot of people so she's good at that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I was joking about that, dude. Yes, that would suck bad. Weaving Fisk into Frank's world has shown it can work really well though.

^^^edit^^^ what are Jessica Jones powers supposed to be anyway? I still can't figure them out. She threw a lot of people so she's good at that.

She is very strong

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If they keep up going against the mic i wouldn't be surprised if barracuda is the antagonist for s2 or 3 and kills micro and his family and/or Karen

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BSam posted:

There a thread yet? I want to post somewhere that i think amy acker is being typecast as Marvel mutant mother, but apparently it's not her it's a different actress?

this is the fun stuff we can discuss when we get a thread.

Was going to start one, but I don't think I can actually make a thread using the phone app?

Anyway it was a really good first three episodes. Bit wary about the supposed lack of magic, though if the Staff of One is just super tech in this at least it still seems to function like magic. And if Karolina isn't an alien that will be kind of lame, especially if we're losing magic and for obvious reasons Molly can't be a mutant.

Casting for all the kids and 'rents is great, though, and the showrunners have done a good job padding it out some. If they did the first arc just as is it would be like a four episode season. I hope they deviate from the comics entirely when they're done Vaughan's original run. Whedon's was so bad I stopped reading it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Are they following the Netflix model of release (all episodes), CBS model of weekly eps like the new ST, or hybrid Amazon is using with the Tick (1/2 now, 1/2 later)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They did three for the premiere, then one episode a week after that, I think. Ten episodes and it airs til January, afaik.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
What I hated about the Punisher series is that the plot only concerns characters and events that happened before Frank Castle was The Punisher. The only person who gave a poo poo about The Punisher as an entity was the Timothy McVeigh guy (who was the worst part of the series, but whatever), to absolutely everyone else he was Frank Castle answering for Frank Castle stuff and fighting Frank Castle's enemies. I loved the first episode with its big punishment moment and Gnucci killing, then the rest felt detached from the character, like it coulda been any story about a haunted soldier killing people. It was fine, but I wasn't very invested.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fiendly posted:

What I hated about the Punisher series is that the plot only concerns characters and events that happened before Frank Castle was The Punisher. The only person who gave a poo poo about The Punisher as an entity was the Timothy McVeigh guy (who was the worst part of the series, but whatever), to absolutely everyone else he was Frank Castle answering for Frank Castle stuff and fighting Frank Castle's enemies. I loved the first episode with its big punishment moment and Gnucci killing, then the rest felt detached from the character, like it coulda been any story about a haunted soldier killing people. It was fine, but I wasn't very invested.

Were you not aware that The Punisher is a haunted soldier killing people?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personal preference, but I liked that Frank didn't wear the costume much. It looks kinda silly, and it was used very effectively in this show as a visual shorthand for "Holy poo poo Frank is loving pissed." When he puts that vest on, lots of people are about to die.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

She is very strong

She can also fly, but she is really bad at it and hates doing it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm not feeling the little sub villains Marvel keeps tossing into every show. JJ had Nuke, This had Lewis, LC had Diamondback, tho I suppose he's technically the main villain, and I would enjoy each show more without them, otherwise it was good.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm not feeling the little sub villains Marvel keeps tossing into every show. JJ had Nuke, This had Lewis, LC had Diamondback, tho I suppose he's technically the main villain, and I would enjoy each show more without them, otherwise it was good.

I didn't see Lewis as a sub-villain, but more as an exploration of the themes of the show.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samizdata posted:

I didn't see Lewis as a sub-villain, but more as an exploration of the themes of the show.

Yeah, I see Lewis as "You want a guy who acts like the stereotypical Punisher? Here you loving go, he's a bad guy and Frank Castle rightly wants to stop him."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Seemed pretty obvious to me that Lewis was an exploration of the radicalization of vets into spree killers that happens multiple times a year nowadays

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This show also manages to be good despite employing “we’re the same” not once, not twice, but THRICE in its 13 episodes. I really feel like someone has gotta be getting it all out of their system.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Cythereal posted:

This plot about using the corpses of dead soldiers in Afghanistan as vessels to covertly ship heroin back to the states is literally straight out of a Tom Clancy novel. Someone on this staff loved Without Remorse, which featured this exact plot only about Vietnam instead.

They could have been inspired by real life as well. NYC drug kingpin Frank Lucas (the guy Denzel played in American Gangster) did ship drugs into the US from Vietnam using dead soldiers. Except I guess he was respectful enough to put it in secret coffin compartments and not their actual corpses:

Frank Lucas posted:

We did it, all right...ha, ha, ha... Who the hell is gonna look in a dead soldier's coffin? Ha ha ha. . . .We had him make up 28 copies of the government coffins . . . except we fixed them up with false bottoms, big enough to load up with six, maybe eight kilos . . . It had to be snug. You couldn't have poo poo sliding around. Ike was very smart, because he made sure we used heavy guys' coffins. He didn't put them in no skinny guy's . . ."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're both acting outside the law to kill people for a greater good, though. In a certain light, they ARE both the same - which hits a nerve and is probably why Frank reacts so severely.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Castor Poe posted:

Take a shot every time Frank says "Attaboy" or "Attagirl".
Every time Frank shushes somebody.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I see Lewis as "You want a guy who acts like the stereotypical Punisher? Here you loving go, he's a bad guy and Frank Castle rightly wants to stop him."

site posted:

Seemed pretty obvious to me that Lewis was an exploration of the radicalization of vets into spree killers that happens multiple times a year nowadays

As well as an exploration of the fact that we send young people without a lot of experience into a world of strict regimentation and violence and possibly traumatic experiences then send them right back into the "normal" world with little or no assistance for leaving what, in most cases, is a majority of their life doing things the "normal" world just will not tolerate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno how old that Clancy book is but smuggling heroin through dead gis to fund a CIA hit squad is a plot point taken directly from punisher max's first arc

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Yeah be that as it may I still could've done without him, I'm also not a fan of that guy he's loving weird, same as when he played Lee Harvey Oswald

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

site posted:

I dunno how old that Clancy book is but smuggling heroin through dead gis to fund a CIA hit squad is a plot point taken directly from punisher max's first arc

Clancy's "Without Remorse" was released in 1993, more than a decade before Punisher MAX, I do believe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bell_ posted:

Every time Frank shushes somebody.

Sack up and take a shot with every Frank murder bellow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gyges posted:

I'd kind of like a one or two episode mini series of Frank running into The Hand. So used to dealing with the worst Iron Fist and the Devil of Hell's Kitchen that they don't know what to do when the murder bellowing starts.

One of the best parts of the back half of DD Season 2 is when Matt and Elektra find themselves surrounded by ninjas on a rooftop... who then all get mowed down by Frank from an adjacent rooftop, doing his best impersonation of Steve Buscemi in that Adam Sandler movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

homullus posted:

Were you not aware that The Punisher is a haunted soldier killing people?

Seriously.

Having a real hard time so far with this series' detractors either saying it was too psychologically dark, too talky and sentimental or (god) not violent enough. I think they did a great job showing and balancing the elements of what leads someone to turn into The Punisher, the various institutions of blame, the imbalance of power, the psychological struggle with anger management and trauma and basically everything.

Most importantly, the actors absolutely loving crush it throughout and that usually seems to be the make or break element with these shows.

What I'm saying is Netflix Punisher is pretty loving good and the haters should shut up.

Samizdata posted:

As well as an exploration of the fact that we send young people without a lot of experience into a world of strict regimentation and violence and possibly traumatic experiences then send them right back into the "normal" world with little or no assistance for leaving what, in most cases, is a majority of their life doing things the "normal" world just will not tolerate.

This. It's like if Animal Mother or Private Joker were returned into society. It's not Rambo and the show is better for it.