Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
"some as young as 12 with addiction issues choosing to sleep in the streets."

Children can't choose to sleep on the streets for fucks sake. They are minors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Don't you remember Jesus saying "Blessed are those who tell others not to give money to the homeless children whose parents are abusers"? Pretty sure it's one of the core tennets.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist."

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

So basically the city mission guy is saying "don't give to the poor, give it to me."

Also I don't think anyone is choosing to live on the streets. They just don't have any better options.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What the hell kind of 'charity' worker thinks people voluntarily choose to sleep in the streets?

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Chch City Mission CEO Matthew Mark on beggars: "[For] most of them it is their business and they are making a jolly good living out of it."

lol he used to be a franchise owner for a mortgage company, then a regional manager for sbs bank, ofc he loving was. Our society is morally bankrupt.

Oh, of course.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

NZPol: They squeeze the middle class, we squeeze furniture prices

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

They need homelessness to be a choice or their just world illusion would crumble.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
perhaps homelessness is as much a choice as being an alcoholic or addicted to p

there is help available but it's up to the individual to make that first jump, and stick to it.

perhaps we literally round up the homeless and addicted and force them get help?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Freedom of choice is an illusion anyway.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I am pretty sure we do force people to do stuff all the time - whether it be force them to go to gaol, or force them to undergo mental or physical health treatment.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
So whats wrong with 'forcing' people to go through the proper channels to get homes / addiction counselling / anti-social behavior off the streets?

as opposed to instead giving directly and potentially enabling that person to continue doing nothing with their lives.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Like I get the fact that you can't say 'all homeless people are just doing it for smokes beer and pokies' because that's obviously not the case

but the first step to helping MOST people in need (ie - the ones that want help) is to get them into the system and document their troubles and assist where needed

just chucking dog blankets and cash at them isn't going to help anyone (long term) apart from induce a few warm fuzzies in the giving person.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

BloodRed posted:

So whats wrong with 'forcing' people to go through the proper channels to get homes / addiction counselling / anti-social behavior off the streets?

All of these things (arguably bar alcoholism and homelessness, but drunk and disorderly and public urination laws exist) are already illegal, so we do already "force" people through "the proper channels", if you consider the courts and prison the proper channels.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Most homeless people have already been through various support services. The only alternative in a lot of cases is literally to lock them up.

Also the police do routinely round up homeless people and take them to various shelters. A lot of shelters won't allow alcohol so that's the first point at which many head right back out the door.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eat the poor.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
or at least feed em to each other?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

BloodRed posted:

but the first step to helping MOST people in need (ie - the ones that want help) is to get them into the system and document their troubles and assist where needed
In order to do that the system has to first want to help people and secondly have the resources necessary to actually do this. Nine years of National means that neither is the case at present.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Time will tell

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Where's Cuthbert Calculus when you need him

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BloodRed posted:

Time will tell

Indeed, it'll tell us that people are generally self-centered short sighted pieces of poo poo regardless of who's in charge.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

This is just the moment to quote that old saying "Time will tell"!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Giving money directly to those who need it is a far superior option.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If you're just going to give money directly to those in need then how am I supposed to earn my executive bonus.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

You can always go begging. I'm told it's very lucrative.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Slavvy posted:

Good marketing, it's a pity nobody who agrees can afford new furniture.

They are really very cheap though. I got most of my furniture there and can't really complain

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

klen dool posted:

Giving money directly to those who need it is a far superior option.

I would rather live in a society whose economic and social policies and structure deal with a the root cause.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Varkk posted:

I would rather live in a society whose economic and social policies and structure deal with a the root cause.

Me to, that would rule.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

Full communist utopia is a noble goal but just giving them the money is a lot more straightforward right now.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
every day I give the same people drugs over and over and it kinda sucks when they just don't do almost anything else at all

I mean it's not like their life rules or that I am envious of any part of it

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Varkk posted:

While you're not wrong, there's the catch that these specific people are cold and hungry *right now*, which is the problem with just focusing on the long term solutions. I hate it too, the whole thing is hosed from decades of neglect.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
So stuff like this is a waste of time because the money goes to charities instead of directly to the homeless?

https://www.onepercentcollective.org/

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Nope.

Although setting up a UBI sounds like a good way of giving people money directly.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

BloodRed posted:

So stuff like this is a waste of time because the money goes to charities instead of directly to the homeless?

Uh, no one said "don't give to charity", just don't loving listen to CEO's of faith based charities telling you not to give money to people on the streets.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Give this a read if you're actually interested;

https://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/services/community-and-culture/our-stand-on-begging/begging-in-wellington.pdf

For those who beg, we have demonstrated that their circumstances are complex and intertwined with other issues of vulnerability such as, lack of suitable housing options; chronic unemployment; lack of positive and purposeful activity; drug, alcohol
and cigarette addictions; mental health issues; and criminal convictions.

The people we spoke to all came from difficult or abusive childhoods and were usually disconnected from their whānau.

We have discovered that begging is currently an effective transaction – there are people asking and people giving.

But we have also pointed out that focusing efforts to stop the transaction alone will not address the underlying issues that led to begging in the first place.

Stopping the transaction may simply mean a re-direction of need for disposable income into more harmful activities.

Sustainable change can only be maximised if the complexity of begging is addressed at multiple levels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If that's the case we should add begging to the pile of other poo poo that'll never be fixed like transport, education, mental health.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

BloodRed posted:

Well it's a less effective use of the money than just giving it straight to those who need it, but I wouldn't call it a "waste of time". Perhaps a "slightly more wasteful way of helping but still helping some people".

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
What is more effective is systemic changes that put people in homes whether they like it or not;

http://theconversation.com/supportive-housing-is-cheaper-than-chronic-homelessness-67539

(The numbers will be different here but as an indication of how much $ homelessness costs our communities it's pretty similar)

quote:

Over a 12-month period, people who were chronically homeless used state government funded services that cost approximately A$48,217 each.

Over another 12-month period in which they were tenants of permanent supportive housing, the same people used state government services that cost approximately A$35,117.

But, this is probably the more important learning;

quote:

When we provide permanent supportive housing, not only do we realise whole of government cost offsets, but the way people live their lives changes demonstrably.

Our data show that when people are tenants of supportive housing, their low level criminal behaviour and reliance on crisis health and temporary accommodation services that characterised their lives while homeless reduces. For example, sustaining housing, compared to being homeless for a year, was associated with a 52% reduction in criminal offending, a 54% reduction in being a victim of crime, and 40% reduced time spent in police custody. Their use of short term crisis accommodation reduced by 99%; mental health service used declined by 65%.

When people have access to housing that is safe and affordable, they no longer have to live as patients, criminals, inmates, clients, and homeless people.

so, basically, no, giving directly turns you into a feel-good enabler.

We need changes to eradicate the root cause (usually upbringing / abuse in childhood / deprivation of education etc) BUT we need to get these people off the streets and into homes.

And hey, it'll save money in the long term too!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If helping the homeless hinges on giving them affordable living then we may as well grind them into foodpaste now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It wouldn't be cheaper because the Australian number reflects there being housing to allocate for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

BloodRed posted:

so, basically, no, giving directly turns you into a feel-good enabler.

Where the hell are you getting that from in any of the material you've linked? No one here is arguing to not address the systemic problem of homelessness, and most people here probably agree that the best way to end homelessness is to provide houses, except that's not happening.

In which case, provide a solid argument why giving money directly to the homeless is bad?

e: also you're the dude who has in the past argued that the reason there are so many homeless in Auckland is because they're stubborn and don't want to move anywhere else, so lol.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 22, 2017

• Locked thread