Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Mate, I know we're all very euphoric over how good Ragnarok was, but let's not forget how utterly mediocre Thor 1 & 2 were. They're the bottom of the barrel of the MCU.

I'd disagree with Thor 1 being one of the worst. I haven't seen it in a long while, but I remember it having a lot of stuff I liked (the scene with Hawkeye, the bit where Thor and the professor get drunk, actually any of Thor's fish-out-of-water stuff, anything with Kat Denning's character, and the destroyer fight was pretty good.)

Iron Man 2 was pretty drat bad and totally wasted Sam Rockwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People who like Kat Dennings should not be allowed to have opinions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

He actually said the exact opposite of that but everyone still assumed it was for the movie. He just wanted to get swole for swoles sake

Sure, more power to him (literally) if so.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

He actually said the exact opposite of that but everyone still assumed it was for the movie. He just wanted to get swole for swoles sake

Bullshit. He's finally gonna get that menace Spider-Man!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phylodox posted:

Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron rank lower, easily. At least The Dark World had an awesome aesthetic and some good character moments.

Thor is the biz. :colbert:

Iron Man 2 and Thor 1/2 are easily the three worst MCU films.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm really curious to see what tone they take with Shazam. There's a ton of incredibly campy and goofy poo poo in the comics that will be really hard to play straight. If they frame it as a child's power fantasy with a few crazy elements - like a tiger that can sort of speak and a worm that can kind of think - I can see them pulling it off.

Maybe the tiger can say a few words and seems to hint at higher intelligence and then weird poo poo always seems to happen when the worm is around; stuff like that. I suppose they could just go full on camp and Adam West it up which could be fun too.

Gonna be a hard film to nail.

Shazam director tweeted this recently. (Along with other classic Captain Marvel stuff and one really weird comic featuring him.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shazam director tweeted this recently. (Along with other classic Captain Marvel stuff and one really weird comic featuring him.)

This is it. This is how they save the franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The absolute last thing I want from a Captain Marvel movie is a movie that is loving ashamed of being a Captain Marvel movie. Own that poo poo. Talking tiger, holy moley, the whole nine yards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
By weird comic featuring him I mean a comic featuring the director. (Sandburg's internet handle is Ponysmasher)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Ma Dong Seok was apparently being scouted by Marvel to play a character in something, but he had to decline due to scheduling conflicts. Any idea who they were looking to cast?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m going to say Amadeus Cho but then I was literally just reading something featuring the character

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I want to watch that dude gently caress up thanos

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m going to say Amadeus Cho but then I was literally just reading something featuring the character

He's a little old to be playing him, I'd think. Besides, we already have Amadeus Cho in the MCU.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

Ma Dong Seok was apparently being scouted by Marvel to play a character in something, but he had to decline due to scheduling conflicts. Any idea who they were looking to cast?

I'm guessing Wong from Doctor Strange.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, he's 15 years older than his mom so it can't be Amadeus.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I'm guessing Wong from Doctor Strange.

Time frames don't really add up. He was in Train to Busan, which was screened at Cannes in May of the same year, and it was that screening which apparently caught Marvel's attention.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hercules

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Maybe he’s Hercules? It’s no Black Heimdall but watching nerds lose their poo poo would still be great. He’s got the biceps for it too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jamesman posted:

He's a little old to be playing him, I'd think. Besides, we already have Amadeus Cho in the MCU.

Uhh

What

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jamesman posted:

I wanted this guy to be a superhero ever since I saw Train to Busan lol. Dude owns. Hope Marvel or DC eventually picks him back up for a role.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Flash definitely had his running look like speed skating, which I actually thought was pretty cool.

It always looked like he was going to do the thing from the TV show and throw a lightning bolt. Since he wasn't, it looked seriously goofy. There's no reason to throw your hands out like that when you're running.

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, the real problem with Green Lantern for me is how so many of his stories climax with him willpowering harder until the problem is solved.

A lot of movies in-general are that way, especially superheroes. How many times has Hulk or Wolverine ended a story by just getting angrier?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Jamesman posted:

Wolverine. 스닉크, 법.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they can do Namor again.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jamesman posted:

Namor

Edit:gently caress/beaten

I was under the impression that the Namor rights are like the Hulk rights, I remember seeing an article about getting the rights back years ago but they don't have the Fantastic 4 or X-Men so I figured they were waiting.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 22, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Saying Green Lantern is too hard to film because of his powers is loving ridiculous.

The movie can make his power level whatever the gently caress they say it is and part of the charm would be Jon, Kyle, Hal or Guy figuring out his limits or lack thereof based on their individual imaginations; similar to Dr. Strange. It's basically "Intergalactic Space Cops" with a heavy emphasis on green and an aversion to yellow. Also dudes can fly for 24 hours.

It's no trickier than Thor, Hulk, Wonder Woman, Flash or Superman if you do it right.

Ragnarok, Dr. Strange and GOTG seemed to manage it OK. People here are saying Shazam, which has a talking tiger and a genius mind controlling worm is easy to translate but GL is too tough. Just take Green Lantern and pretend there's no limits.

I think it'd be fun.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jamesman posted:

Wonder Man

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think Red Lanterns would be a good choice for villains because they're more than just RAGE ARRR *blood everywhere* as it comes from grief, not hatred or anger. It makes them more than 2 dimentional, plus there's a whole bunch of them, crazy monster guy, babe with skeletal wings, scrotrum guy, human, and cat.

If we're fantasy casting, I was thinking Halson Sage from The Orville would make a good Kate Bishop, if they ever do something based on Young Avengers. Seriously, why isn't that movie in development?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Instead of young avengers give me the laura/kate/gabby(/Jonathan THE ACTUAL WOLVERINE) team up movie

site fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 22, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Namor

Edit:gently caress/beaten

I was under the impression that the Namor rights are like the Hulk rights, I remember seeing an article about getting the rights back years ago but they don't have the Fantastic 4 or X-Men so I figured they were waiting.

Nobody knows how the rights work, for the longest time we thought Fox had Skrulls but whoops, they're on the MCU now!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

If we're fantasy casting, I was thinking Halson Sage from The Orville would make a good Kate Bishop, if they ever do something based on Young Avengers. Seriously, why isn't that movie in development?

Phase 4(?) Is supposed to be about new heroes so I imagine they'll start filtering in Ms Marvel and Hawkeye etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Phase 4(?) Is supposed to be about new heroes so I imagine they'll start filtering in Ms Marvel and Hawkeye etc.

Captain marvel 2 being about Kamala has been my dream for ages, well, it was my dream for the first one, but I'll keep the hope alive.

site posted:

Instead of young avengers give me the laura/kate/gabby(/Jonathan THE ACTUAL WOLVERINE) team up movie

If Marvel gets the X-men rights, that literally has to be the first thing they must do.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Green Lantern feels like it's become too reliant on fighting all the other colors of the rainbow. The character went on for years and years and years just fine without being all about the other colored Lantern corps, but now it's like that's all anyone wants to write about. He has tons of other perfectly good villains, I'd like to see one of those as the villains of a movie before we deal with Red, Yellow, whatever Lanterns.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they make Hal the focus of the GL movie they can have his power cap be just based on what an idiot he is

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was going to say they should make Hal the villain, but the Ryan Reynolds movie already hosed up Parallax. They really ought to do a Kyle/John buddy cop flick. Have John’s serious attitude and architectural constructs clash with Kyle’s looser personality and artistic constructs. Have them fight the Red Lanterns or Larfleeze or something.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Do the other colors of lanterns have some ancillary role the way greens are space cops even?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Superstring posted:

Do the other colors of lanterns have some ancillary role the way greens are space cops even?

blue is hope, so they are more of a peace keepers; star sapphires are love and I never really got what they did outside of be half naked; Yellow is Sinestro and seek to rule through fear and as dictators; Indigo was revealed to be a penal legion set up by Abin Sur, nok; Red is Rage over loss and blood; Orange is just Larfeeze and he wants to own it all, with the only being in the universe that is greedier than him is Luther; Black is Death so everyones undead; white is life and it should have stayed with Swamp thing.

Sorry, I just really love the different corps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuringa posted:

Nobody knows how the rights work, for the longest time we thought Fox had Skrulls but whoops, they're on the MCU now!

No, Fox and Marvel have been up front about it for years: Marvel has the Skrulls as a race, Fox has the specific characters like Super Skrull.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Phylodox posted:

Bullshit. He's finally gonna get that menace Spider-Man!

No joke, Iron Jonah being Peter's antagonist in Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 would be pretty rad and not feel out of place.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was going to say they should make Hal the villain, but the Ryan Reynolds movie already hosed up Parallax. They really ought to do a Kyle/John buddy cop flick. Have John’s serious attitude and architectural constructs clash with Kyle’s looser personality and artistic constructs. Have them fight the Red Lanterns or Larfleeze or something.

Forget Hal, make it a John/Kyle space buddy cop flick. Make John the serious veteran who sticks with basic light constructs because it does the job, and Kyle the starry-eyed rookie who uses the ring to make Transformers or Gundams or Kaiju because he's a huge dork. The Red Lanterns are a great pick for villains, and maybe throw Lobo in as a wild card.

And the post-credits stinger is Hal Jordan flying into a billboard.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

fruit on the bottom posted:

Iron Man 2 and Thor 1/2 are easily the three worst MCU films.

I'd take Thor 1 over Age of Ultron or Incredible Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Green Arrow/Green Lantern in media res with Full Communism Now Olly and Make Mine FascTrumpism Hal. Never explain the blue guy in the back seat.

• Locked thread