Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

We can only hope the Internet giants an still step up, but, it's not likely.

RIP Internet. It truly did make you stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The real problem is, if I understand it, that there's an issue with ISPs having a monopoly in certain areas? In the UK, I think what would happen is the one ISP to say "yeah, we're not doing that" would clean up, but that can only work if you have something approaching an open market.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it has already begun

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Except that looks like it's specifically a mobile data plan? In Portugal?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Except that looks like it's specifically a mobile data plan? In Portugal?

Yes and yes, but they have no Net Neutrality laws and they’re spinning it up to be that way across everything

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, they're going to charge you for every type of data, or at least "prioritize" their partner's data over everything else. This is what happens when you put a shill for the cable companies in the top seat at the FCC.
Even if they don't *all* do it, I have exactly two options for ISP where I live. What are the odds?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm concerned about what this is going to do to data transit costs. ISPs up here in Canada could get massively hosed if the exchanges in the US start charging premiums on certain traffic. Ugh.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Kazinsal posted:

The proper use of cheese curds is on top of fries and covered in a dark turkey or veal gravy and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

There's a sandwich joint up here that puts poutine on one of their offerings. I believe it's the "Strange Brew".

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Everytime someone over here mentions 5 Guys, the following words appear either preceding the name or following it: "it's so expensive"

...yet they'll happily roll into a pub and spunk £15 on a worse burger with shittier chips and no chance of a decent milkshake.

Orrrr you can go to Spoons/Flame and Grill/Hungry Horse and get a nice cheap burger and a pint.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maybe making the bread and circuses more expensive will be the final straw that gets Americans to pay attention to the poo poo that's being shoveled our way.
I doubt it. I'm frankly astounded at how much unlubricated non-consensual butt-loving we've taken so far.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Just in case you hoped the states would help:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/fcc-will-also-order-states-to-scrap-plans-for-their-own-net-neutrality-laws/

This motherfucker is a piece of work.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Got home from work a little after 7am. Did a blitz-cleaning until around 9am when my hydro got disconnected.

Old and crusted*:

New hotness:

*Not busted, fuseboxes are fine, mine was just undersized for 21st century living and had a bunch of double-taps.

E: Ignore the lack of labelling, the electrician is making up a schedule for the new panel and dropping it off tomorrow.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 21, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Darchangel posted:

Maybe making the bread and circuses more expensive will be the final straw that gets Americans to pay attention to the poo poo that's being shoveled our way.
I doubt it. I'm frankly astounded at how much unlubricated non-consensual butt-loving we've taken so far.

I'd like this to be the case, but 90% of the population is just gonna hear about how this is removing BIG GUMMIMENT REGULATIONS from the internet, so it's a good thing in their eyes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ExplodingSims posted:

I'd like this to be the case, but 90% of the population is just gonna hear about how this is removing BIG GUMMIMENT REGULATIONS from the internet, so it's a good thing in their eyes.

This is 90% of the comments on my local news facebook, and I think the chair of the fcc worded it very carefully to confuse those types. I just hope it doesn’t hurt my small rural co op isp.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You should ask them how much they like road tolls when traveling out of state.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

rdb posted:

This is 90% of the comments on my local news facebook, and I think the chair of the fcc worded it very carefully to confuse those types. I just hope it doesn’t hurt my small rural co op isp.

Yeah, I saw where he was talking about "removing government micromanagement" and freeing up the telecoms to try new service models, and encourage them to expand and build out, as if these were things that were totally not happening under the current rules.

angryrobots posted:

This is a good analogy. We're experiencing that first hand right here in Dallas-Fort Worth, where literally every "improvement" of any highway is now involving toll lanes, and any new highways are outright tollways.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

b-b-b-b-b-b-ut her emails! another sterling accomplishment by president shitlord, who will deregulate everything he can to the detriment of every single person in this country

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This motherFUCKER

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This motherFUCKER

wut?!?!?!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

But guys have you tried...

the power of positive thinking

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
why the gently caress is it so hard to find cavatappi pasta or large elbow macaroni?

what kind of terrible hosed up mac and cheese is the rest of America putting up with?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ajit at the FCC

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

why the gently caress is it so hard to find cavatappi pasta or large elbow macaroni?

what kind of terrible hosed up mac and cheese is the rest of America putting up with?

I...actually had this conversation with someone last week. Cavatappi is almost impossible to find. I found some at Whole Foods and at a local international market.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

But guys have you tried...

the power of positive thinking

Thoughts and prayers for our internet connections

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i think my favourite thing that people did when trump was elected was say dumb stuff like "well at least the art and music is going to be good"

must be real comfortable being that far up your own rear end

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

InitialDave posted:

The real problem is, if I understand it, that there's an issue with ISPs having a monopoly in certain areas? In the UK, I think what would happen is the one ISP to say "yeah, we're not doing that" would clean up, but that can only work if you have something approaching an open market.

Yeah, you see the thing is that the ISPS own most of the copper and fiber. Thanks to our addiction to graft, we didn't build that poo poo out as a utility, just gave subsidies to telecoms to do it. So outside of places with strong competition, most of the US is straight hosed because 1 or at most 2 companies can even provide broadband to them without needing to build a whole parallel infrastructure first.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

angryrobots posted:

That's an odd analogy. Not sure who you are arguing for. I mean a toll is a toll which goes to the owner of the private roadway. No matter where you are from if you are using their road you have to pay. Makes sense.

I'm for net neutrality by the way.

e: nm. You mean a toll on public roads when travelling interstate because the driver is using the infrastructure of another state. I've been in the sun too long today sorry.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 22, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

That's an odd analogy. Not sure who you are arguing for. I mean a toll is a toll which goes to the owner of the private roadway. No matter where you are from if you are using their road you have to pay. Makes sense.

e: nm. You mean a toll on public roads when travelling interstate because the driver is using the infrastructure of another state. I've been in the sun too long today sorry.

gently caress toll roads. Our taxes are supposed to be funding the Interstate system, but the funds were turned into a slush fund by Congress and many state legislative groups. None of them are 'private roadways' they are public roads.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

General_Failure posted:

See the post above yours. The infrastructure was paid for with public funds but someone sets up a toll booth so you pay extra to use it. The new bridge in Louisville KY I use on occasion for example.

It irks me because this is a clear handout to a few corporations at the expense of millions of people, yet so many are blinded by right wing propaganda that they don’t see it that way.

People will now either be bombarded with injected advertising, have speeds capped to certain sites, or charged extra to access things that used to be treated equally. AT&T has already shown bias towards directv now by having it not count towards your data cap. They can go a step further now and slow down netflix, hulu and youtube or charge extra for those sites to work at all. It will wind up being like Chinese internet, except censored by private companies with no VPN work around.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If any supermarkets near you carry DeCecco pasta they'll probably have cavatappi, it's my go-to since it holds sauce nicely.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anyone ever sell anything on Facebook marketplace?
What is it that makes people respond to something you've posted for sale that flatly says "I am interested in this item"? It feels like bots but it happens often enough that it sorta feels like an app or something that auto-conversates with you when someone hits a button in an app somewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Anyone ever sell anything on Facebook marketplace?
What is it that makes people respond to something you've posted for sale that flatly says "I am interested in this item"? It feels like bots but it happens often enough that it sorta feels like an app or something that auto-conversates with you when someone hits a button in an app somewhere.

That's an automated part of the marketplace.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

General_Failure posted:

all roads should be owned by the state, not by individuals or corporations

so should all means of production

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

so should all means of production

Now THAT is politics. And I can sum up any argument that follows by saying "most theoretical forms of government are viable only in theory. In actuality, the ideal gets all hosed up by corruption and greed and ultimately results in revolution."

Also keep in mind that the longest-lived modern government is a constitutionally-backed monarchy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, Mein Fuhrer. I'm from Arizona.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

the ideal gets all hosed up by corruption and greed and ultimately results in revolution."

That's it. Greedy people wreck things for everyone.

Anyone remember that lube ad with the elephant and the ant? I just discovered silicon spray is like that for heater hoses. I'm cobbling together something to let me them the goddamn heater off completely in my car.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
That you see people as inherently greedy and self-serving is merely a reflection of the society that we live in

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Having been here on this planet for a while now and doing some thinking, it's pretty hard to see people as anything but.

I would strongly imagine cavemen thought to themselves "If only Thog wasn't such a greedy oval office fuckface, we could all have some mammoth steak but no, he's got to let half of it rot simply because his dad managed to steal a bigger club from the dinosaurs than the rest of our dads did" so I don't know that anything's going to change because there's always some permawrongist who insists The Habit is better than In & Out and the electoral college caters to people like that

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So remember I asked about Philo the other day?

I'm digging it enough that I went ahead and paid for a month I don't do sports, and if I want news, I just watch local news or fire up the CBS News app (free streaming). A major downside at the moment is their only app is for newer Roku devices (their more mature .edu offering has apps for most platforms, it's expected they'll do the same for the retail offering) - my Roku was too old for it. My stepdad, however, bought a Roku 3 a year ago, and promptly threw it in the closet, still sealed in the box. Asked him how much he wanted for it tonight over dinner, he said it was mine if I could find it.

Philo app works drat well on the Roku 3, and holy poo poo is an early 2016 Roku 3 a night and day difference from a ~2013 Roku 1. So much smoother and faster. The headphone jack in the remote is nifty too - I'm sitting in the next room listening to stuff playing on the Roku. It's tempting to bring it out to the living room and replace my 1st gen Fire TV Stick (which is loving PAINFULLY SLOW) with it, and leave the Chromecast in the bedroom.

But I'm sure the FCC is gonna clamp down on my internet speeds and data caps soon, which will put an end to MAH STREAMING TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
We see the world through glasses with lenses we are completely in control of. A lot of people just don't realize it.

fridge corn posted:

That you see people as inherently greedy and self-serving is merely a reflection of the society that we live in

I generally choose to see individuals as inherently good, and they usually live up to it.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 22, 2017

• Locked thread