Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ofecks posted:

No BreakThru on that NES cart :(
No Karnov, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

It’s especially noticeable in DQ4 because you’re switching between different main characters from different areas that have different accents every chapter for a while. I like it but I can understand why it might grate on some people

Transliterating accents like that is just plain bad writing. It obfuscates the text and indicates that the writer is leaning heavily on stereotypes, sometimes outright racism. And there's narrative problems with using it heavily as well. In the first chapter, for example, the viewpoint character is from the same place as the people with the heavy accents are. To him, there should be no accent because that's just how people talk. And instead the writer put up a barrier between that character and the rest of the people that he encounters because they didn't know what they're doing when they use that kind of accent.

I don't usually dive deep into writing criticisms with video games because it's frankly kind of boring since the vast majority of video games are badly written in the exact same ways (most of which come down to "cargo cult Hollywood action movie writing shoved through a tiny cultural viewpoint and trying to hammer what oozes out around decisions made by management") and it's way more interesting to talk about how games play. This DS port of DQ4 is bothering me because it's poorly written in a special way that I don't often see.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Interesting hearing about DQ4DS's translation in English. I played it in French and what stood out from memory was that, for the people in Alina's castle, they wrote the dialogue out with cyrillic characters, swapping N's and R's for their "mirrored" counter-parts.

(just a YT snip which is why there's a bar on the bottom)

Square Enix's FIGS translations are all direct translations and not second-generation ones from the English like they were in the earlier days, so I suspect it may be something that's either present in the Japanese original in some capacity, or imposed by someone at SE for all translations as opposed to a decision undertaken by the localization team.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Americans just can't parse poorly written Scottish accents, and I can't blame them.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm not really familiar with most of these games, outside of (i think) playing Joe and Mac 1 at a friend's house when I was a kid. Well, and Burgertime and Bad Dudes. Are any of these worth getting? Beyond the novelty of having a brand-new officially licenced SNES or NES multigame cart I mean.

Brawl Bros. and The Peace Keepers are decent enough Super NES brawlers, but they don't really justify the $35 collection.

It's strange to see Jaleco and Data East hawked as retro-game novelties. Do they really have that many fans? Of course, I'd buy collections of Vic Tokai games, so perhaps I shouldn't judge...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I almost jumped on the Joe & Mac cart because it was a cornerstone to my childhood but I am not a fan of retrobit

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I'm really glad that I'm not alone in my dislike of AO and that it was only regarded as mediocre in 1997. I really need to get around to playing FFVII next, I didn't own either a SNES or PlayStation when they were new so I didn't have any desire to play Final Fantasy at the time. But now that I've expanded my experience with some more 4th and 5th gen RPGs, I think I'll have a better appreciation for FFVII and how revolutionary it was.

As for Working Designs, I don't fully understand the hate for them. I've read the criticism around their translations, but in the mid 90s it wasn't like there were a ton of companies translating niche games for the West. I won't deny that their translations haven't aged evenly, but I've always appreciated the effort and care they put into their games. It also always surprises me how knowledgeable people were back then about the Japanese originals. In a time before the internet was the force that it is today, all of my news came from EGM, and I don't remember ever having a good idea of what was happening in Japan. So even if Working Designs had hosed up the translation, how the hell was I to know? Granted, in 1995 I was 10 years old, so it's possible that the resources were out there and they just weren't on my radar until later.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SpitztheGreat posted:

As for Working Designs, I don't fully understand the hate for them.
A lot of the hate for WD, as I understand it, isn't just about the translations but about how they changed the balance in several of the games, negatively impacting gameplay.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Kins posted:

A lot of the hate for WD, as I understand it, isn't just about the translations but about how they changed the balance in several of the games, negatively impacting gameplay.

Yeah, that was the bigger problem. I can get around poor translations or outdated references but having the progression and difficulty curves broken in the only english versions of certain games sucked big time. Obviously emulation has solved most of these issues nowadays, but back in 2002 it wasn't quite as easy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

dishwasherlove posted:

Americans just can't parse poorly written Scottish accents, and I can't blame them.
Joseph from Wuthering Heights is friggin' hell to read, I tell you what. I don't care that he has a Yorkshire accent, not a Scottish one, we're talking about dialog like

quote:

'"T' maister nobbut just buried, and Sabbath not o'ered, und t' sound o' t' gospel still i' yer lugs, and ye darr be laiking! Shame on ye! sit ye down, ill childer! there's good books eneugh if ye'll read 'em: sit ye down, and think o' yer sowls!"
Though confessedly, I'm having an easier time parsing it now, just over ten years on from when I first had to read Wuthering Heights for high school English class. Hell if I know what changed.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Popful Mail's a good example of the unreasonable difficulty increase they added, because the US version of that game is really hard for no good reason. Someone's compiled a chart on TCRF of the massive balancing changes they made for no reason other than they felt like it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

The Kins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No6SpDhlsYE&t=19s

a lot of the justifications i remember from their balance changes was to make games hard enough so they could not be beaten in a rental period, a good example of this being silhouette mirage.

Zand fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 21, 2017

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Popful Mail's a good example of the unreasonable difficulty increase they added, because the US version of that game is really hard for no good reason. Someone's compiled a chart on TCRF of the massive balancing changes they made for no reason other than they felt like it.

Someone recently put out a series of patches that revert the gameplay changes of Working Design games including Popful Mail: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Kins posted:

Not only this but in things like shooters they would do things like make it impossible to play past a certain stage (like half the game) on an easier setting, making practice/working up to a higher difficulty impossible. They had this weird arrogance like they knew how to design games better than people who did it for a living. People forgive a lot for nice packaging and the fact that the games were being released at all, but it was still lovely

e:

SpitztheGreat posted:

I really need to get around to playing FFVII next,

That's a Good Fuckin Game, I don't care what anyone says about outdated graphics. The prerendered stuff is still great looking and it has one of the best soundtracks of any game ever. Also play Chrono Trigger if you haven't yet, it's the best JRPG of all time imo.

d0s fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 21, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

No BreakThru on that NES cart :(

holy poo poo somebody else likes this game I don't feel weird anymore (tho I've only played arcade ver)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

d0s posted:

holy poo poo somebody else likes this game I don't feel weird anymore (tho I've only played arcade ver)

there's three of us, it's pretty good

the nes port is nothing to write home about, it feels like the arcade version as memory serves

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

That's a Good Fuckin Game, I don't care what anyone says about outdated graphics. The prerendered stuff is still great looking and it has one of the best soundtracks of any game ever. Also play Chrono Trigger if you haven't yet, it's the best JRPG of all time imo.

FF7 is a very very good game which still holds up, I replayed it maybe two years ago and still had a great time, the low poly characters were kinda charming.

I still love how FF7 and 8 use layering of models on top of FMV, man back in the day that poo poo was remarkably cool, on a CRT that blurred everything nicely and made it more seamless. Even emulating / playing it on my PS3 on my 720p projector it looked good.

While FF4 is probably my favorite JRPG, I fully admit that it gains a lot of points because it was my first real one. Chrono Trigger is probably second, it is incredibly good, and holy gently caress at the time it came out it was mindblowing. The soundtrack, the story, the characters, the open-ended feeling of it, the multiple paths to the end, it's a masterpiece.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

My consolized MVS is coming along nicely. Video is working, audio and controllers still to be done.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Man oh man! This lead me down a rabbit hole and it turns out someone released an english patch for the N64 version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhei0uM72Ag

It works on an Everdrive 64 if you update the OS to the latest version.

Edit: Link to the patch.

Old post, but I take it "update the OS to the latest version" means if you have an early Everdrive 64 stuck on the v1 OS branch you're SOL for getting this working, right? Is this the only DDG anything available in English whatsoever?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

univbee posted:

Old post, but I take it "update the OS to the latest version" means if you have an early Everdrive 64 stuck on the v1 OS branch you're SOL for getting this working, right? Is this the only DDG anything available in English whatsoever?

I can't say for sure. I wasn't even aware of the different OS branches. Looks like I upgraded to OS-V2.12 to fix the "Bad CRC Check" error I was getting. I'm not aware of any other english versions either. Sorry. :(

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

My consolized MVS is coming along nicely. Video is working, audio and controllers still to be done.
Very nice. How do you plan on handling the DB15 controller ports? Also, where did you buy the female ends for the console side?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Is this the only DDG anything available in English whatsoever?

Railfan: Taiwan had an Asia region release with English, IIRC. The Railfan series is a merger of Train Simulator (the Japanese one, not the Microsoft one or the one on Steam with two thousand dollars in DLC) and Densha de Go with a heavier emphasis on the DdG side of things. However prices on that are :retrogames: .

The Taiwan game is pretty cool as an expansion of the series, though. It's the better game if you want to drive a high speed rail (Shinkansen is terrible) and it has a special mode where you have to drive as efficiently as possible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

d0s posted:

A big hell yeah to both of these opinions

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

d0s posted:

Code Jockey posted:

FF7 is a very very good game which still holds up, I replayed it maybe two years ago and still had a great time, the low poly characters were kinda charming.

I still love how FF7 and 8 use layering of models on top of FMV, man back in the day that poo poo was remarkably cool, on a CRT that blurred everything nicely and made it more seamless. Even emulating / playing it on my PS3 on my 720p projector it looked good.

While FF4 is probably my favorite JRPG, I fully admit that it gains a lot of points because it was my first real one. Chrono Trigger is probably second, it is incredibly good, and holy gently caress at the time it came out it was mindblowing. The soundtrack, the story, the characters, the open-ended feeling of it, the multiple paths to the end, it's a masterpiece.

Pablo Gigante posted:

A big hell yeah to both of these opinions

I am glad people still openly admit FF7 is a good game. It seems the cool thing to do is poo poo on it. It definitely has some areas where it fell short, so I do often agree with the criticisms, however, people take it to an extreme so they can make it look like the worst RPG ever in order to boost another game they consider to be better (usually FF6, which is fine to say is better as it does many things better), but FF7 is still a drat good game that arguably had more impact on gaming in general, especially with RPGs in the west.

Definitely play FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, Chrono Trigger, DQ7 and DQ8. There are more great RPGs of that era (FF8, Xenogears, Lunar, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, etc), but those are all worth a play and FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger and DQ8 are very popular for good reason. Well, you can maybe move FF9 and DQ7 to the second list of great games but not as "must play" as the former list.

Did anyone play Legend of Legaia? It may not be a great game, but I played the poo poo out of it back in the day and really enjoyed it.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Elliotw2 posted:

I can't imagine why they renamed a character the Japanese version called "Blackie."

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Welp, Popful Mail's US dub was pretty funny sometimes.

Fart sounds. @0:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77heyjIlXeg

James Brown. @2:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOhCqyU7hQ

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

I am glad people still openly admit FF7 is a good game. It seems the cool thing to do is poo poo on it.

I have been making GBS threads on FF7 since 1997 and I am the opposite of cool.

Being right is never cool, kids.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I picked up a super cheap, Olympus-branded Sony PVM (and a pile of other, crap screens I need to figure out how to get rid of) and it powers on but no picture or menu. :negative:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Shadow Hog posted:

No Karnov, either.

Sacrilege :argh: I didn't play it as a kid but I can definitely see its appeal.

hexwren posted:

the nes port is nothing to write home about, it feels like the arcade version as memory serves

Yeah it's a fine port, just slightly worse graphics. My cousins had a lot of NES games, a LOT. But they were mostly action games and arcade ports and stuff. No Zelda, no Metroid, no Mega Man, but a bunch of Data East's catalog. Maybe their games were cheaper or something? I dunno, but I found them to be mostly junk except BreakThru and Bump-N-Jump. Flinging your vehicle over obstacles is deeply satisfying for some reason.

The only game I had that they were ever impressed by was The Guardian Legend. One of those said cousins rushed out to buy the game the day I left after our visit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Heads up, 8bitdo have discontinued their faithful Bluetooth SNES pad clones in favor of bastardized models with analogue sticks tacked on.

The old models still have plenty of stock for now, but now's the time to buy if anyone was considering one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Random Stranger posted:

I have been making GBS threads on FF7 since 1997 and I am the opposite of cool.

This guy are sick and you should not listen to him.

FF7 rules :colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

falz posted:

Very nice. How do you plan on handling the DB15 controller ports? Also, where did you buy the female ends for the console side?

Soldering the wires of the ports to pins on the underside of the board. They are just normal DB15 ports i bought from the electronic store.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

Heads up, 8bitdo have discontinued their faithful Bluetooth SNES pad clones in favor of bastardized models with analogue sticks tacked on.

The old models still have plenty of stock for now, but now's the time to buy if anyone was considering one.

This is a good tip and inclined folks should move fast. There are also more standard bt ones that are being packaged with snes receivers, the ones that are getting bundled with the new NT. The four styles are good though they no longer copy the aesthetic quite so 1:1. Example

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/931690366369136640

Rip in peace my wallet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really like reading about FF7 through the years. It was universally well received up front, then it became cool to hate on it, then the first wave of nostalgia where Cloud is portrayed like a dark anime character and everyone confuses Aeris' personality for Tifa's, and now we've come to celebrate how weird and visually bizarre that game is.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The world of FF7 is so unique. It’s going to be hard to pull off an HD remake that doesn’t feel ridiculous because the Lo-Fi graphics and art didn’t need to convey how a city like Midgar would actually function practically because it’d be impossible on a PS1.

And I can’t even think about how they will handle Cait Sith/Reeve with a straight face with voice actors and everything.

That’s why I want the remake to do well. You don’t make worlds like that from scratch in this era, but if they pull it off it’ll be amazing. If they fail, it’s going to be the goofiest weeb poo poo, there’s no middle ground here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I really like reading about FF7 through the years. It was universally well received up front, then it became cool to hate on it, then the first wave of nostalgia where Cloud is portrayed like a dark anime character and everyone confuses Aeris' personality for Tifa's, and now we've come to celebrate how weird and visually bizarre that game is.

Setting aside my dislike of FF7 for a moment, that pretty much the pattern for AAA games which FF7 is the real initiator of (I'd call it the Jaws of video games, but would imply it's a good game :v: ). The marketing and shininess of the game when it's new results in a big sales with massive praise. Then when a bit of distance happens people are able to give it a proper appraisal. And eventually you get the reassessment backlash.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Setting aside my dislike of FF7 for a moment, that pretty much the pattern for AAA games which FF7 is the real initiator of (I'd call it the Jaws of video games, but would imply it's a good game :v: ). The marketing and shininess of the game when it's new results in a big sales with massive praise. Then when a bit of distance happens people are able to give it a proper appraisal. And eventually you get the reassessment backlash.

That appraisal comes in different forms, though. There's the backlash against the game for being popular, the backlash against it being ugly, and of course the drama in the fandom leaks into drama in actual discussions. Then you have people whose first experience is the movie, which radically alters the perception of the original game, or they came in through Kingdom Hearts where Cloud is Vincent in disguise.

Like all criticism it's a reflection of the times and constantly evolving, but video games are unique in that a game's legacy will be criticized more than the game itself and this frustratingly results in "I hate the fanbase therefor I hate the game."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

repiv posted:

If anyone doesn't have one yet and is on the fence, do it. I own two, and this news makes me tempted to buy more, despite not really needing any more. They're fantastic controllers, and now that I have an SNES classic, I'd say the build quality is easily on par with what Nintendo made themselves.

Excellent, excellent controllers. I'm on the fence about the analog stick version, but I'm concerned that with my giant monster hands, the sticks would get in the way of Y/B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that's not always the trajectory for major games

for example after everyone realized that oblivion was a giant pile of poo poo, nobody has ever come out and re-assessed it trying to say 'no guys this game is totally great' and it's generally agreed that it is just bad