Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Lemming posted:

You'll be very, very sad if you get a windows headset to save $50 dollars. Don't do it.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't get anything right now except the Vive or Rift (or even a PSVR).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Less Fat Luke posted:

Weird, I asked because the Steam store entry is clearly marked as supporting only the HTC Vive, not SteamVR:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/611660/Fallout_4_VR/

SteamVR/OpenVR itself is hardware agnostic, even if a game that uses the API was never tested with the Rift it usually works. There can be issues with input mapping though as the controllers are pretty different, but even that works alright most of the time. Controller mapping problems aren't intrinsic to OpenVR, developers can choose to fully support third party VR hardware like the Touch, however many choose to instead create different versions of their software running upon different APIs (SteamVR, OculusVR, WMR etc).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Bethesda are super pissed at Oculus so it is quite possible they may try to lock Fallout 4 to only play on the Vive. But there is software that exists which will trick SteamVR into thinking a Vive is connected instead of a Rift, just like ReVive tricks Oculus Home into thinking a Rift is connected instead of a Vive.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nalin posted:

Bethesda are super pissed at Oculus so it is quite possible they may try to lock Fallout 4 to only play on the Vive.

What happened?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

rEvolve released the 3D printing files for their headstrap, for those who have a Vive and a 3D printer but are still too stingy to buy the deluxe audio headstrap. It's like they made it just for me!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2646572

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

John Carmack ran off to Oculus with a bunch of code that was developed while he was working with Bethesda (it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the general outline).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Weird, I asked because the Steam store entry is clearly marked as supporting only the HTC Vive, not SteamVR:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/611660/Fallout_4_VR/
There are a number of applications that only officially support Vive because that's all they were tested on, but still should work on anything supporting SteamVR. There are also a few where the devs actually went out of their way to make it Vive only. Google Earth VR was the first IIRC. Those can still be patched around as far as I'm aware.

By default SteamVR titles support all SteamVR devices, so Rift DK2/CV1, OSVR, MSMR, whatever.

John Carmack left Bethesda to work at Oculus, Bethesda claims he stole code and secrets.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So Hps VR bundles are now Microsoft headset bundles.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...medium=referral

Interesting.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

So Hps VR bundles are now Microsoft headset bundles.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...medium=referral

Interesting.

HP does make a WMR headset, it’s not crazy.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

HP does make a WMR headset, it’s not crazy.

Yeah. They used to be rift bundles. Not a super awful deal tho.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't get anything right now except the Vive or Rift (or even a PSVR).

:yeah:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's good reasons to buy a WMR headset, but I feel like the features it's providing are pretty limited considering how much it doesn't do.

If you really, really need to cart around your VR headset (for demos and possibly travel) then it may be a good choice. If you're just going to be using it at home or office like most people are then setting up cameras/lighthouses isn't that bit of a deal.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
WMR headsets might be pretty cool as a replacement for laptop screens for non-gaming purposes, long term. They seem ideal for use on a plane for movie-watching and maybe someday even productivity work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Long term maybe, but the hardware today can't do that and by the time they can, every other VR headset will be capable of it to.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

SwissCM posted:

Long term maybe, but the hardware today can't do that and by the time they can, every other VR headset will be capable of it to.

Does anyone know any good titles that simulate a world where net neutrality is still a thing and I can escape this constant waking nightmare?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Move to a not less bad state.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Truga posted:

Move to a not less bad state.

You mean country, I'm already in the best state :(

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I love how many quality 'passive' experiences are now coming out for VR. They weren't something I was too interested in when I bought the HMD, beyond the little films from Oculus Story Studio, but there's been a steady stream of some genuinely quality content. Most of these sorts of things seem to be free on Oculus as well.

If anyone hasn't checked out Coco VR it's a great little experience from Pixar/Disney, really wonderful visuals and some fun interactive stuff - and it's multiplayer so you can go explore it with friends. Some of the VR documentaries have been awesome too, especially the BBC ones like We Wait (about refugees trying to get across the Mediterranean) and Zero Days VR.

Today there's a new short VR experience telling the story of a small town police dispatcher, it looks very interesting & the first episode is free: https://www.oculus.com/blog/vr-visionaries-here-be-dragons/

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Stick100 posted:

I think there are some Black Friday deals at $600 for the Vive + Strap + Fallout 4 VR.
Can you provide link? HTC's site seems to not have the strap included currently: https://www.vive.com/us/fallout4-vr/

edit: did some searching and it seems it's a Nov 24 through 27 deal, so the above link will probably change on Friday. Save 100 bucks, don't buy until Friday folks!

Example article: https://uploadvr.com/black-friday-htc-vive-audio-strap-fallout/

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 21, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My favourite experience thing (not even that, really) to this day is somehow still just walking around that patch of Mars in destinations. It's really otherworldly. :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SwissCM posted:

There's good reasons to buy a WMR headset, but I feel like the features it's providing are pretty limited considering how much it doesn't do.

If you really, really need to cart around your VR headset (for demos and possibly travel) then it may be a good choice. If you're just going to be using it at home or office like most people are then setting up cameras/lighthouses isn't that bit of a deal.

I think that the non-gaming applications of roomscale VR will make a good niche for WMR headsets. All those design firms using VR to show clients what their building could look like, training applications, etc. Anything where portability and ease of setup are more important than precision tracked hand controls that can reach over your shoulder.

Watching movies on a plane would probably be pretty good too.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that no gaming laptop makers have partnered with Oculus to create a "VR ready" laptop where the built in camera doesn't have an IR filter (or has a removable one) and can be used to provide the pre-Touch experience, or could be paired with a single external camera for front-facing full motion.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

I think that the non-gaming applications of roomscale VR will make a good niche for WMR headsets. All those design firms using VR to show clients what their building could look like, training applications, etc. Anything where portability and ease of setup are more important than precision tracked hand controls that can reach over your shoulder.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that no gaming laptop makers have partnered with Oculus to create a "VR ready" laptop where the built in camera doesn't have an IR filter (or has a removable one) and can be used to provide the pre-Touch experience, or could be paired with a single external camera for front-facing full motion.

I'm shocked we're not seeing MS cash in on that actually. Infinite playspace ohhh poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm shocked we're not seeing MS cash in on that actually. Infinite playspace ohhh poo poo.

I'm shocked at how badly Microsoft is handling this launch in general. I don't think they know what they're doing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

El Grillo posted:

I love how many quality 'passive' experiences are now coming out for VR. They weren't something I was too interested in when I bought the HMD, beyond the little films from Oculus Story Studio, but there's been a steady stream of some genuinely quality content. Most of these sorts of things seem to be free on Oculus as well.

If anyone hasn't checked out Coco VR it's a great little experience from Pixar/Disney, really wonderful visuals and some fun interactive stuff - and it's multiplayer so you can go explore it with friends. Some of the VR documentaries have been awesome too, especially the BBC ones like We Wait (about refugees trying to get across the Mediterranean) and Zero Days VR.

Today there's a new short VR experience telling the story of a small town police dispatcher, it looks very interesting & the first episode is free: https://www.oculus.com/blog/vr-visionaries-here-be-dragons/

Son of Jaguar and Sonaria are sooooo loving cool. Pearl is pretty good too.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

wolrah posted:

It wouldn't be as simple as having a camera without an IR filter, it also needs an extremely large FOV, 60fps with a global shutter. I'm not saying they couldn't but it would really need to be some tight integration for that to work, and it would be easier just to have a laptop without poo poo usb ports. At this early stage its not really a big deal, by the time gen 2 rolls around there will be santa cruz stuff for 6dof stand alone VR anywhere you can bring it, and all the PC headsets will probably have moved to a inside out system as well so there won't be the big setup.

I think its just not worth it this early on to do that kind of tight integration, and by the time it will be worth it, it will be outdated.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SwissCM posted:

I'm shocked at how badly Microsoft is handling this launch in general. I don't think they know what they're doing.

It honestly feels like they created a disconnected department for VR that operates more like a start-up. You'd think they'd have enough QA and research teams to avoid all the mistakes they're making.

Especially "Mixed Reality"

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thor-Stryker posted:

It honestly feels like they created a disconnected department for VR that operates more like a start-up. You'd think they'd have enough QA and research teams to avoid all the mistakes they're making.

Especially "Mixed Reality"

I do like that they're doing the legwork to start making windows a native VR experience at this early stage. At the same time though, the new rift dashboard stuff (which is less than a months away!) already look 10x better than the microsoft native cliffhouse stuff for using desktop apps in VR.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm just glad Microsoft are doing something - it feels good to me to have old faithful loving around with this stuff somewhere

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Less Fat Luke posted:

So I'm kind of torn - I've been gearing up to buy a Vive for a while but now it sounds like the Rift is pretty awesome too. Is the Vive still the route to go if you're okay with the extra cost? I'm seeing mostly people talking about the lighter weight of the Rift and it's motion controllers being better, but having used the Vive before I didn't really have an issue with it.

I'm in the same boat; hoping to get a Vive or Rift this Black Friday and get in on some of this Payday/Doom/Fallout jazz. So far the best deals I'm seeing are $350 for Rift at Best Buy and $600 for Vive+audiostrap+fallout+$50giftcard at Gamestop, so it can be kinda close, depending on how you look at it. The biggest thing for me is probably my glasses; I hear a lot of bad things about the Rift with glasses-wearers, especially ones with super bad eyes like mine (do I can't just not wear glasses), but I'm not positive if the Vive is great with glasses or only 'relatively' better. Maybe I should look into contacts regardless...

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

peter gabriel posted:

I'm just glad Microsoft are doing something - it feels good to me to have old faithful loving around with this stuff somewhere

Right? Even if what they put out is total hot garbage, they will be looking at tracking, sensors, etc, and making tweaks to windows for that sort of stuff. So even if they never launch a headset worth a poo poo its worth it.

FutureCop posted:

I'm in the same boat; hoping to get a Vive or Rift this Black Friday and get in on some of this Payday/Doom/Fallout jazz. So far the best deals I'm seeing are $350 for Rift at Best Buy and $600 for Vive+audiostrap+fallout+$50giftcard at Gamestop, so it can be kinda close, depending on how you look at it. The biggest thing for me is probably my glasses; I hear a lot of bad things about the Rift with glasses-wearers, especially ones with super bad eyes like mine (do I can't just not wear glasses), but I'm not positive if the Vive is great with glasses or only 'relatively' better. Maybe I should look into contacts regardless...

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/

Might be others, Dunno. Seen this one linked a lot.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 22, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FutureCop posted:

Whether you get a vive or a rift, i would look into the VR lens inserts they sell, like what ebola linked above. having to fit glasses into any headset period isn't a nice as just being able to pull it on.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tom Guycot posted:

Whether you get a vive or a rift, i would look into the VR lens inserts they sell, like what ebola linked above. having to fit glasses into any headset period isn't a nice as just being able to pull it on.

Counterpoint: I’ve had a rift for a year and I wear glasses every time and it’s never really bothered me to the point where I thought I should buy some adapters.
Partially because the price is pretty high and nobody seemed to make mounts that seemed like they were worth it.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Counterpoint: I’ve had a rift for a year and I wear glasses every time and it’s never really bothered me to the point where I thought I should buy some adapters.
Partially because the price is pretty high and nobody seemed to make mounts that seemed like they were worth it.

Oh man, those 3d printed frames and zenni lenses are great. Can't complain on the price, was $10 for a local place to print it and $15 for the lenses.

Guess if you got a small head and glasses, letting you slip on the Rift without issue, it might not be worth it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Dash is gonna be soo nice. (..and ASW has been soo nice for a year...)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Phuzun posted:

Guess if you got a small head and glasses, letting you slip on the Rift without issue, it might not be worth it.

If I wore glasses, I wouldnt have an option. Big head over here and there is no way id get glasses in there. This is the key factor I think. Depending on how big your dome is. I wear a hat on the last and second last snap (depending on hat size, typically second to last if my heads actually shaved) to give you some kind of ref.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
For people using gun stocks-- how do you switch between single handed and two-handed while playing? Do you just do everything with your controllers fixed in the stocks, apart from one another? How would stuff like reloading work in H3VR?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Is the first quality of life improvement when you buy a rift to cover up that huge open nose gap with electrical tape? Because man I'll blame any perceived lower quality compared to the Vive on the lovely indie game I was playing but I could seriously not get over that hole.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 22, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tweak posted:

Is the first quality of life improvement when you buy a rift to cover up that huge open nose gap with electrical tape? Because man I'll blame any perceived lower quality compared to the Vive on the lovely indie game I was playing but I could seriously not get over that hole.

Of course it depends on your facial shape, but the headset can pivot or rotate up and down and for me when i pivot it all the way down the nose gap is more or less non-existent.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Seashell Salesman posted:

For people using gun stocks-- how do you switch between single handed and two-handed while playing? Do you just do everything with your controllers fixed in the stocks, apart from one another? How would stuff like reloading work in H3VR?

You slip the controller out, do your thing, then slip it back in. With a well designed stock its really quite easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Seashell Salesman posted:

I imagine like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48iO6e8oDU&t=75s

Earlier in the video you can see the guy reloading by just removing the rear controller and putting it back.