Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Control Volume posted:

AND ALSO bungie loving add sparrow racing you useless pieces of poo poo. why have you not done this, just copy wipeout

Yeah Bungie add this for the very first time with SRL 3 which is coming up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Section Z posted:

Maybe give us 500 Vault space minimum first, before wanting to bring back variants to gamble rolls on?

Even with such a "Limited weapons pool", trying to have a cool collection of weapons and outfits it already fairly cramped. More so when you want to keep your garage full of cool space ships, space bikes, and Space Balls action figures (Be the first kid on your block to own a skin that finds resources on every planet!).

Adding an extra dose of roulette wheel with the emphasis that "It's a loot game! The goal is to collect more loot!" rings hollow without a Scrooge McDuck vault so you can actually accumulate loot rather than throw them in the shredder with one hand and hold your spreadsheet in the other.

Even if the genre does love trying to give you limited storage space and pitch such engine and/or dev effort limitations as a feature. "It's a loot game! Look at all these cool things you can grind for-holy poo poo, you want to keep the things we keep bragging are all amazing? What did you think this was, a loot game?"

and while they're at it please, please add tabs to the vault that sort weapons by type

Section Z posted:

Well that's a seperate issue from adding even more variables onto the items themselves. But yeah I'd love to have the option to slam down 60 Titan Tokens to pick something specifically from the Titan pool rather than 20 for gambling that may simply give me a 7th duplicate armband that isn't even from Titan.

was this something destiny 1 had? because i would be totally on board for them bringing this back too

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Section Z posted:

Well that's a seperate issue from adding even more variables onto the items themselves. But yeah I'd love to have the option to slam down 60 Titan Tokens to pick something specifically from the Titan pool rather than 20 for gambling that may simply give me a 7th duplicate armband that isn't even from Titan.

I mean being able to pull a copy of a purple gun you’ve already gotten from a kiosk like you can with exotics.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

cougar cub posted:

For people that have put a pvp group together what is the elo / Kd / kda cutoff you look for?

Are you using a Xim4? Join my group.
No? Get (artificially) good.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I mean being able to pull a copy of a purple gun you’ve already gotten from a kiosk like you can with exotics.

this would also be great

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

cvnvcnv posted:

As a world class diamond-Elo sparrow racer well known in the sparrow racing community I can’t wait to see how they go backwards here

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

All you need to do is look at Rise of Iron era Iron Banner relative to D2 iron Banner to see how hosed up D2 is.

D1 iron banner was when all the boys came to the yard because the rewards were all good and plentiful, there was an end point with guaranteed rewards but you could keep grinding if you were tismed and most of all it was fun.

D2 Banner is loving token garbage.

Also you could raise your light playing IB

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

As a world class diamond-Elo sparrow racer well known in the sparrow racing community I can’t wait to see how they go backwards here

-Back down to 2 tracks
-36% tempo nerf, 10% bass nerf to the reggae dubstep
-Vex Fanatics in every boost gate

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

big nipples big life posted:

Also you could raise your light playing IB

I still remember first RoI IB when power level mattered and I had max light relative to many players. My RNG weapon reward was the super high impact hand cannon with luck in the chamber, max range and reduced mag size, so I was literally able to 2 tap most players with a gun hardly anyone had. Most people weren’t salty and instead I got a ton of “what gun is that?!!!” messages. That was literally the vision for D1 iron banner and now it’s just the same as regular pvp with a different slot machine :negative:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I still remember first RoI IB when power level mattered and I had max light relative to many players. My RNG weapon reward was the super high impact hand cannon with luck in the chamber, max range and reduced mag size, so I was literally able to 2 tap most players with a gun hardly anyone had. Most people weren’t salty and instead I got a ton of “what gun is that?!!!” messages. That was literally the vision for D1 iron banner and now it’s just the same as regular pvp with a different slot machine :negative:

Buff, buddy. I was hoping I was mostly joking when I said the reason people miss god rolls was "I got a better gun than other players had and that makes it worth it!"

Not for literal examples of wistfully remembering the time you got to two-shot people in PvP thanks to a jackpot on the slot machine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think by now we loving get that D2 is not D1:AoT for fucks sake.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
lol if you are paying for that 'expansion'

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This sounds incredibly bad for PvP and I'm not sure if you're cherry picking reactions to you just rolling over everyone else who didn't grind as hard/weren't as lucky as you or if D1 players just suffer from extreme brokebrain. Like I've never heard of anyone speak about being outgeared in PvP in a positive fashion ever unless it was outplaying them despite your inherent statistical disadvantage.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Section Z posted:

Buff, buddy. I was hoping I was mostly joking when I said the reason people miss god rolls was "I got a better gun than other players had and that makes it worth it!"

Not for literal examples of wistfully remembering the time you got to two-shot people in PvP thanks to a jackpot on the slot machine.

ROI, first Iron Banner, Clever Dragon pulse was the hottest ticket item going. Vendor roll was super good but not best. Everyone wanted god roll Counterbalance, HCR, Perfect Balance, and through the wonderful IB and rolls systems then, tons of people got it. I didn't, I got Counterbalance, HCR, Smallbore which was low-key the true god roll.

Literally everyone got a fabulous Clever Dragon, but some of us got even better ones, which was very exciting and cool. How is that some nightmare scenario?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Why should everyone be using Uriel's Gift when they could all use Clever Dragon instead?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Eej posted:

Like I've never heard of anyone speak about being outgeared in PvP in a positive fashion ever
That's because you don't play games where such a thing exists because most game devs are smart enough to not let it happen.

But when it does happen, you hear about it.

Edit: Actually, just listen to anyone who goes a winning round of PUBG with some amazing gun they found early on in the match that let them one-shot everyone from a distance. It's the exact same thing that but across multiple play sessions.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 22, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Norns posted:

Worse Devils

:eng101: Better Devils is likely a reference to The Devil You Know, arguably the most popular handcannon alongside Fatebringer in Destiny's first year.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Iron Banner was SUPPOSED to be like that. It was a one off bi-monthly event where all your time and gear from PvE would give you a (slight) advantage. It was the special “let’s see what happens when we take the training wheels off” mode. But but but, and this is important, it was also the easiest way to actually level up your light. So high risk high reward.

Yeah that gun was crazy unique for that time and place. But by the end of that week I couldn’t two tap anyone without a LiTC proc headshots and another headshot because everyone had leveled their light. That’s how the gun was supposed to work. And if I ever took it in normal crucible it was just that, a balanced gun.

My friends list would go NUTS during D1 IB weeks. Dudes I never saw playing would come back. During D2 it’s maaaybe flat and more than likely more dead because each day this game dies a little more.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also during peak D1 IB I would use old exotics with dramatically lower light levels and still kick rear end, I used an old 170 thorn that took 5 shots to kill and would still drop 3.0+ KDs lmao. IB was good times.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cvnvcnv posted:

WHAT WHERE

LINK

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Control Volume posted:

WHAT WHERE

LINK

It was mentioned in the first stream. SRL 2 was part of The Dawning last year, SRL 1 in the same time frame the year prior, and so it's almost assuredly part of The Dawning this year.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
As a fellow broken-brained person who enjoys dopamine drip slot machine games instead of reading or spending time with loved ones, is this poo poo worth the current sale price of $35?

I played Division and liked it for the most part although the loot system seemed kinda incomprehensible to me; it was more about the sweet NYC winter map. Grinding the same missions over and over again got to me. I also played Borderlands but BL2's lame loot made me stop.

As long as I get loot and pop heads and have moderate fun for 20-30 hours, that is usually enough to get me through my seasonal affective disorder.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

el_caballo posted:

As a fellow broken-brained person who enjoys dopamine drip slot machine games instead of reading or spending time with loved ones, is this poo poo worth the current sale price of $35?

I played Division and liked it for the most part although the loot system seemed kinda incomprehensible to me; it was more about the sweet NYC winter map. Grinding the same missions over and over again got to me. I also played Borderlands but BL2's lame loot made me stop.

As long as I get loot and pop heads and have moderate fun for 20-30 hours, that is usually enough to get me through my seasonal affective disorder.

20-30 hours is right before this game tears itself apart at the seams so go for it if those are your expectations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

20-30 hours is right before this game tears itself apart at the seams so go for it if those are your expectations.

This is the guy with brainworms who constantly posts about how much he hates this game so you might get more than that out of it

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

el_caballo posted:

is this poo poo worth the current sale price of $35?
Yes. You can play/level/loot until you're high enough to do a nightfall and will feel fulfilled once you've completed one, especially if you've guided friends through one. The raid even moreso if you're willing to put in the time to grind a bit more but it's possible at that point you'll be sick of it. That said, you'll easily get 20+ hours out of it if you do every mission in the game (which means campaign + adventures + gun quests + strikes.) Each of these things has voice acting and lore on top of shooting mans.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 22, 2017

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Good enough for me.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Do you get call to arms credit doing iron banner? A clash-only playlist sounds pretty nice.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Republicans posted:

Do you get call to arms credit doing iron banner? A clash-only playlist sounds pretty nice.

Ye.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Control Volume posted:

This is the guy with brainworms who constantly posts about how much he hates this game so you might get more than that out of it

I hate the game so much I’m saying he should buy it :gary:

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Personally, I wouldn't change a thing!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can kind of see where ABGD is coming from where once you've reached a certain point in the game there's not much in the way of progression until the next expansion, and I can totally see why that'd turn people off to it. When you jump onto most online games there's some sense of reward and progression to keep you coming back for more. D2 has a specific point where once you've gotten the guns you like, the armor you want, and have reached max light level there's no sense of accomplishment for doing many/most activities. That's where things like random rolls and sidegrades (Horizontal progression instead of vertical) come into play and give the game more life by giving you additional rewards to continue to work towards even past the theoretical maximum.

Assume you're a 305 light character with a full suit of recovery, mobility, and resilience armor in your inventory. You have all the exotics you enjoy using and the guns you want. What do you log in to do? Once you've done the raid a dozen or so times, what next? There are people who hit this level on PC already, and console players have had an extra six weeks to reach that point. In two weeks we get the expansion, but a month later will people be in the same position where they have run out of content, run out of progression, etc?

Honestly I'm a bit surprised that Destiny 2 is avoiding the grind since that's what keeps players engaged and playing and coming back for more. It's not a bad thing to avoid grinds, but it's surprising that the company isn't trying to keep their players engaged as much as possible. It's hard to push microtransactions and things like that if people aren't logging in because they ran out of things to do.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Yowza the IB autorifle, "The Forward Path", is a beast. Huge magazine and first few shots are more accurate. I love it, I can just bullethose with it.

Any other IB weapons I should look out for? Also, was it confirmed if there was a cap on IB engrams?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Yowza the IB autorifle, "The Forward Path", is a beast. Huge magazine and first few shots are more accurate. I love it, I can just bullethose with it.

Any other IB weapons I should look out for? Also, was it confirmed if there was a cap on IB engrams?

The pulse is A Good Pulse, as such things go, the SMG is alright but not better than Antiope, the fusion is pretty alright.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The fusion looks good on paper. I wouldn't know cuz the game wont give it to me

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

khy posted:

I can kind of see where ABGD is coming from where once you've reached a certain point in the game there's not much in the way of progression until the next expansion, and I can totally see why that'd turn people off to it. When you jump onto most online games there's some sense of reward and progression to keep you coming back for more. D2 has a specific point where once you've gotten the guns you like, the armor you want, and have reached max light level there's no sense of accomplishment for doing many/most activities. That's where things like random rolls and sidegrades (Horizontal progression instead of vertical) come into play and give the game more life by giving you additional rewards to continue to work towards even past the theoretical maximum.

Assume you're a 305 light character with a full suit of recovery, mobility, and resilience armor in your inventory. You have all the exotics you enjoy using and the guns you want. What do you log in to do? Once you've done the raid a dozen or so times, what next? There are people who hit this level on PC already, and console players have had an extra six weeks to reach that point. In two weeks we get the expansion, but a month later will people be in the same position where they have run out of content, run out of progression, etc?

Honestly I'm a bit surprised that Destiny 2 is avoiding the grind since that's what keeps players engaged and playing and coming back for more. It's not a bad thing to avoid grinds, but it's surprising that the company isn't trying to keep their players engaged as much as possible. It's hard to push microtransactions and things like that if people aren't logging in because they ran out of things to do.

The real answer is pvp because it's fun but then they turned their halo multiplayer shooter into a lovely counter strike and kind of ruined the whole thing.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
Removing random rolls was one the best decisions Bungie made for D2. It was a dumb, stupid and pointless grind. The problem is that the loot sucks, the gear isn't differentiated and doesn't actually change your build (think the way items in Diablo completely change up your character's playstyle).

Yes there's not enough to do. Yes the loot can be improved and the ways to get it extended. But adding random rolls back in doesn't give you what you ultimately want.

Honestly the real reason some people want random god-rolls is so they can convert their time played into mechanical advantages over other players. Which is a very MMO-player way to look at things, you get stronger through playtime. I feel like most FPS players (which is where I'm coming from) want to improve their skills, not their gear.

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

poemdexter posted:

Are you using a Xim4? Join my group.
No? Get (artificially) good.

Wait I thought you only took goons who go entire matches without landing a single bullet?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is the clan list on SUN GOD AVATAR's post still live? I just applied to join Guardians of Chillbear because I'd like to occasionally play with other folks. So yeah, something something please let me in?

EDIT: If it helps I'm terrible at videogames and life.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 22, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Orv posted:

The pulse is A Good Pulse, as such things go, the SMG is alright but not better than Antiope, the fusion is pretty alright.

Timeworn Spire (pulse) is super good what the heck. If you guys like the Lincoln Green this is it but on steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eej posted:

Timeworn Spire (pulse) is super good what the heck. If you guys like the Lincoln Green this is it but on steroids.

It's still going to lose to a bunch of things because of the state of balance in PvP right now, so it's very good for what it is.

• Locked thread