Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think in retrospect the Raiders were really playing over their heads last season and had a ton of lucky breaks go their way. They still need to plug a lot of holes on the roster and consider replacing players who have not stepped up, and a few who have regressed.

Last year the Raiders had the 5th ranked offense until Carr got hurt and the defense made nice strides after the opening few games disasters(kind of like the Pats defense this year). They did get lucky in one sense, no major injuries until Carr's. This year the already thin defense has been shredded with injuries and the results have been predictable, especially with the new OC also being a bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

kiimo posted:

And the defensive line coach Britt Reid.

Awkward family reunions.
I thought he did a fairly decent job last year, all things considered. This year has been rough, but Bailey is toast and Logan isn't the same so I'll give him a pass for now.

Now as for Bob Sutton, Andy Heck and Emmitt Thomas...it's time for all of them to go.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

warcrimes posted:

Last year the Raiders had the 5th ranked offense until Carr got hurt and the defense made nice strides after the opening few games disasters(kind of like the Pats defense this year). They did get lucky in one sense, no major injuries until Carr's. This year the already thin defense has been shredded with injuries and the results have been predictable, especially with the new OC also being a bad.

Last year the Raiders won seven games that were one score or less. You can't count on that happening every season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Last year the Raiders won seven games that were one score or less. You can't count on that happening every season.

I used to say this about the one score games the Chargers would lose

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Lol I remember when they hired KNJ the prevailing thought was "not really an X's and O's guy, more of a rah rah cheerleading players coach guy" and I thought oh god dammit

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

a neat cape posted:

I used to say this about the one score games the Chargers would lose

If those one score games went the other way last season Raiders would have been 5-11 and Chargers 12-4.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Wait, so is John Pagano the Raiders DC now? Lol

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Grittybeard posted:

Andy Heck was the lineman that gave up 7 sacks in a game to Derrick Thomas.

Holy poo poo hahahaha

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

Every time I see Ken Norton's name I remember that his dad fought Ali.

Three times. He won once!

It is not the trilogy that anyone in the world remembers about Muhammad Ali.

I remember it because when I got into boxing I saw that Norton broke Ali’s jaw in the first fight and consistently gave him really hard fights, which I assumed must mean that Norton was just about the baddest dude ever, then I watched George Foreman flatten him in like 5 minutes and was like “drat, George Foreman his loving HARD.”

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Huh, it's almost like a team in transition from being bad to good and learning how to win close games. That narrative has nothing to do with their issues this season.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

how did i not know this existed?

https://twitter.com/AndyJ0seph/status/932366105112338432

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

warcrimes posted:

Yeah, I can blame Norton for lovely schemes and never making any adjustments. Blaming RM is silly, not every draft pick is going to be a starter.

I still say the jury is out on RM (and Carr for that matter...). 2014 was a great draft, but he hasn't had a good draft since. Look at all the picks we've spent on DL & DBs and both those groups suck.

RM is a contracts wizard though. I'm glad the Raiders will never be in cap hell under him and he finds a way to limit guaranteed money to FAs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The raiders offense played out of its mind last year and we got a lot of lucky breaks, which helped to cover that we had a 5-11 defense. Now the offense has regressed, none of the holes on defense got patched, there's no one to bail them out, and the results are predictable. Firing KNJ isn't going to be an immediate fix, but the dude has shown absolutely nothing to be encouraged about with the defense, and his firing is long overdue. Makes me feel better about next season.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Who is the best defensive player the Raiders will have a chance to draft that I should watch play in a bowl game.

If they don't get an interception against Paxton Lynch on Sunday I might wash my hands of this season and try being productive on Sundays.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Uterine Lineup posted:

Who is the best defensive player the Raiders will have a chance to draft that I should watch play in a bowl game.

If they don't get an interception against Paxton Lynch on Sunday I might wash my hands of this season and try being productive on Sundays.

He's gonna get sacked too many times to throw ints

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Nah

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Counterpoint: Paxton Lynch is very very bad

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
How the gently caress did we go 12-4

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Counterpoint: Paxton Lynch is very very bad
Rumor has it that Musgrave is dumbing down the playbook for Lynch to give him a chance to succeed. Lmao if he ends up dunking all over the Raiders

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kansas City not doing well on this list either, and Denver's pretty middling.

Way to go San Diego Chargers with your suddenly terrifying pass rush though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Eli Wiggum posted:

Rumor has it that Musgrave is dumbing down the playbook for Lynch to give him a chance to succeed. Lmao if he ends up dunking all over the Raiders

The playbook is already simple and bad. Are we just gonna run high school plays now?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Based on preseason it's gonna be "first read or run for your life"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Croatoan posted:

The playbook is already simple and bad. Are we just gonna run high school plays now?
Single-wing baby :haw:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I wish we had the cool Lynch on our team

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

You won literally every close game.

If you reversed the decisions of all one score games last year, the Raiders go 5-11 and the Chargers go 12-4.

Closing is a skill

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Bosa is great but man I'm impressed that Ingram looks better AFTER he got paid

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Blitz7x posted:

Easy schedule.

a neat cape posted:

You won literally every close game.

If you reversed the decisions of all one score games last year, the Raiders go 5-11 and the Chargers go 12-4.

Closing is a skill

Lost a close game to the falcons.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Uterine Lineup posted:

For CBs I like Meeks from Stanford and Alexander from Louiville. LBs I like Roquan Smith from Georgia(personally this is my favorite player) and Rashaan Evans from Alabama. The first round is loaded with players that would fill holes.

MrLogan posted:

Easy schedule.

This isn't true. Before the season started Raiders schedule looked easy. Turned out a lot of those teams were better than expected. IIRC, Raiders finished with a top ten or five hardest schedule. The fall off can be directly and rather obviously traced to the issues with the offense. The defense started the year playing pretty well, Raiders should have won three of those games during the four game losing streak but couldn't score. Injuries at Oakland's two weakest positions- LB and DB, have killed them. Plus the offense's continued inconsistencies.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/933451330512924672

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I suppose it can't be worse?

It'll be worse.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
That seems dumb, put Terrance Mitchell back at CB2 instead.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Actually if this means Phillip Gaines gets cut then I am really happy. I can’t keep count of how many blown plays and gently caress ups Gaines had contributed over the past 2 years, he is one of the worst DBs I’ve ever seen and it’s weird because he was decent for a while at the start of his career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Actually if this means Phillip Gaines gets cut then I am really happy. I can’t keep count of how many blown plays and gently caress ups Gaines had contributed over the past 2 years, he is one of the worst DBs I’ve ever seen and it’s weird because he was decent for a while at the start of his career.

Gaines seems good at positioning skills, like being in the right place at the right time, but his ball skills are just so ridiculously bad. If you were playing catch with him in the back yard he wouldn't move until the ball was 5 yards past him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah the most frustrating part Gaines is that he’s always in the receivers hip lol, it’s really a bizarre set of skills

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Bosa's been even better in his second season and as Ross said, Ingram's played even better after getting his big contract than he was before. He might have already beaten his career best in sacks this season. Should also be mentioned that Chris McCain has been an important situational piece for the Chargers since they picked him up - they sub him in on 3rd and longs and he's cleaned up after Ingram/Bosa get home. This is easily the best pass rush the Chargers have had since 2006-ish and i'm thrilled to have after years of Pagano's useless poo poo. Gus Bradley might've been an all-time bust of a HC, but I love what he's done for this defense.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

warcrimes posted:

This isn't true. Before the season started Raiders schedule looked easy. Turned out a lot of those teams were better than expected. IIRC, Raiders finished with a top ten or five hardest schedule. The fall off can be directly and rather obviously traced to the issues with the offense. The defense started the year playing pretty well, Raiders should have won three of those games during the four game losing streak but couldn't score. Injuries at Oakland's two weakest positions- LB and DB, have killed them. Plus the offense's continued inconsistencies.

DL is the weakest group. DBs can't cover forever with no pass rush.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah the most frustrating part Gaines is that he’s always in the receivers hip lol, it’s really a bizarre set of skills

It makes no sense at all. Like, dogs will chase balls. Cats might even show an interest. And poor Phillip...nothing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

Bosa's been even better in his second season and as Ross said, Ingram's played even better after getting his big contract than he was before. He might have already beaten his career best in sacks this season. Should also be mentioned that Chris McCain has been an important situational piece for the Chargers since they picked him up - they sub him in on 3rd and longs and he's cleaned up after Ingram/Bosa get home. This is easily the best pass rush the Chargers have had since 2006-ish and i'm thrilled to have after years of Pagano's useless poo poo. Gus Bradley might've been an all-time bust of a HC, but I love what he's done for this defense.

I think it took the players a little while to learn their way around Gus' scheme, but they're clicking on almost all cylinders right now. Just gotta shore up that run D

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

If Revis is bad, I want him to be so bad that I can buy a Revis Chiefs jersey as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

MrLogan posted:

DL is the weakest group. DBs can't cover forever with no pass rush.

The Raiders have played with three CBs(on the entire roster) the last couple of weeks due to injuries and all three rank in the bottom 5% of all CBs and Nelson might be the actual worst safety in football.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 23, 2017

• Locked thread