Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Willie Tomg posted:

Reminder: the correct response to the callout "hot, behind" is "Thanks, I work out."

Bonus points if you can do it in the key of LMFAO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyx6JDQCslE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
My cat bit me at the vet on Friday and now I'm stuck in the hospital with IV antibiotics and a hand the size of a grapefruit. Can I please catch a loving break this year?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

My cat bit me at the vet on Friday and now I'm stuck in the hospital with IV antibiotics and a hand the size of a grapefruit. Can I please catch a loving break this year?

I'm pretty sure your new job counts as "catching a break"

Also cats are lovely pets, just put it down now and save yourself the headache.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
CdC get you a dog. They'll never bite your hand unless you are an rear end in a top hat to them.

Cats on the other hand are huge assholes so....

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

El Padrino posted:

CdC get you a dog. They'll never bite your hand unless you are an rear end in a top hat to them.

I have 2 dogs though! And the other cat is sweet as can be. This one's just old and grumpy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have 2 dogs though! And the other cat is sweet as can be. This one's just old and grumpy.

This requires pics.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

El Padrino posted:

Like people and Goons, it depends. My cat won't even bite me when I am loving with him on purpose. He will place his teeth on both sides of my finger, but won't close his mouth.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

iospace posted:

This requires pics.

derps

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

El Padrino posted:

As someone who worked as a vet tech for 7 or 8 years you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

Reminder: the correct response to the callout "hot, behind" is "Thanks, I work out."

One of my coworkers is loud and a big guy, he favors "hot man with a hot pan." I like teasingly hitting on him in good fun. :gay:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

No, of your grotesque hand.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Republicans posted:

No, of your grotesque hand.

I've had 3 bags of antibiotics, if it spread out of the blue line, maybe surgery!

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

As someone who worked as a vet tech for 7 or 8 years you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

I'll admit that my view is biased as I've never had a pet cat but as a dog owner of 32 years, the only times I've met dogs that are aggresive and prone to biting are mistreated by assholes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

El Padrino posted:

I'll admit that my view is biased as I've never had a pet cat but as a dog owner of 32 years, the only times I've met dogs that are aggresive and prone to biting are mistreated by assholes.

Animals that are scared, in a strange place having strange people poke and prod them don't need to have been abused to become defensive or aggressive.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

El Padrino posted:

My little one is extremely protective and prone to trying to attack other people/dogs that move up on him quickly. We adopted him at a year old, had no idea what his background was other than that he seemed nice and timid at the shelter, and he turned out to be a giant rear end in a top hat and it took years to get him mostly behaved.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My little one is extremely protective and prone to trying to attack other people/dogs that move up on him quickly. We adopted him at a year old, had no idea what his background was other than that he seemed nice and timid at the shelter, and he turned out to be a giant rear end in a top hat and it took years to get him mostly behaved.

Forget the brisket, if you decide to break in one of the new Rationals with him, I am down for a dinner invite....

Hauki
May 11, 2010

El Padrino posted:

stop being an rear end in a top hat to cats then I guess

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol, the number of times I've seen a cat that will run up to someone, jump on them, scream or hiss or bark or meow at them aggressively, nip some poor kid's hands, slobber all the gently caress over someone as they try and push it away, literally knock children over, tear up people's clothing unprompted, or proactively harm other people's pets in a park : 0

the number of times all that has happened with dogs? : 3490219341290321403320923423942390e32423423

yeah if you chase down an rear end in a top hat cat and try to roughhouse it, you'll get bitten or scratched or something, but I've never seen a cat go out of its way to gently caress someone up the way a dog will.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Never been an rear end in a top hat to cats as I don't like to see animals suffering or enjoy doing anything bad to them. Guess I've just had the chance to meet ornery cats who'd rather be left alone? I apologize for causing this derail, all.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

I've had 3 bags of antibiotics, if it spread out of the blue line, maybe surgery!

A boss of mine ultimately died from undertreated fascitis sooooo I counsel aggressive treatment.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Test Pattern posted:

A boss of mine ultimately died from undertreated fascitis sooooo I counsel aggressive treatment.

I got to go home last night after a total of 12 GRAMS of Unasyn, which is one of those nifty ampicillin and sulphur based antibiotics, intravenously. Still infected, taking 1 GRAM of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium every 12 hours for the next 10 days, and a blood test after that to make sure I don't end up with MRSA.

If a cat or dog bites you and it's a deep puncture, GO TO THE loving ER.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

El Padrino posted:

Never been an rear end in a top hat to cats as I don't like to see animals suffering or enjoy doing anything bad to them. Guess I've just had the chance to meet ornery cats who'd rather be left alone? I apologize for causing this derail, all.
some cats can react to being petted too long by mouthing/biting etc, it doesn't take violence on the part of the owner necessarily.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

some cats can react to being petted too long by mouthing/biting etc, it doesn't take violence on the part of the owner necessarily.

maybe consider how you would react if some strange rear end dude walked up and started touching you a bunch unprompted

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My brother's cat will turn and gently rub his teeth on your hand if you're petting somewhere he doesn't like then go back to drooling on your knee and kneading like a moron.

Basically he's the best cat and all other cats are the worst.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mindphlux posted:

lol, the number of times I've seen a cat that will run up to someone, jump on them, scream or hiss or bark or meow at them aggressively, nip some poor kid's hands, slobber all the gently caress over someone as they try and push it away, literally knock children over, tear up people's clothing unprompted, or proactively harm other people's pets in a park : 0

the number of times all that has happened with dogs? : 3490219341290321403320923423942390e32423423

yeah if you chase down an rear end in a top hat cat and try to roughhouse it, you'll get bitten or scratched or something, but I've never seen a cat go out of its way to gently caress someone up the way a dog will.

I have been flat out attacked by cats. gently caress them, the next one the launches itself at me will be put through a wood chipper. Never been attacked by a dog, they're OK by me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bussamove posted:

My brother's cat will turn and gently rub his teeth on your hand if you're petting somewhere he doesn't like then go back to drooling on your knee and kneading like a moron.

Basically he's the best cat and all other cats are the worst.

Oh yeah? My cat will out-loveable dorky moron your brother's cat paws down.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
How do y'all feel about dogs in restaurants? It's a trend here, and I'm curious about the potential issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

How do y'all feel about dogs in restaurants? It's a trend here, and I'm curious about the potential issues.

If I'm in a restaurant that allows dogs I don't have an issue with it, but I loving despise people who insist their dog is a helper dog when they very obviously have no disability. I get that there's not a good way tighten up the ADA that wouldn't hurt legitimately disabled people, but I hate the assholes who take advantage of its vagueness.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

We allow dogs on the patio and service dogs in the dining room; the only degree it’s ever come close to really causing an issue is when people don’t keep the dogs out from underfoot, and when that happens I just politely remind the guests that our servers are carrying hot food and we’d hate to drop it on such an adorable pup.

Except I usually manage to sound less like a mafia insurance extortion racket, I guess.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The official theme of the holidays in the club tonight is "It's beginning to look a lot like gently caress This" sung to the tune you'd expect

this is the second week in a row of double clopening on mon/tue for me and I'm starting to crack

only a month more til christmas :shepicide:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Skwirl posted:

If I'm in a restaurant that allows dogs I don't have an issue with it, but I loving despise people who insist their dog is a helper dog when they very obviously have no disability. I get that there's not a good way tighten up the ADA that wouldn't hurt legitimately disabled people, but I hate the assholes who take advantage of its vagueness.

This is starting to become a big issue in the area I work in, apparently you can just slap a vest with reflectors on a dog and it becomes a service dog. Not fuckin cool.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

This is starting to become a big issue in the area I work in, apparently you can just slap a vest with reflectors on a dog and it becomes a service dog. Not fuckin cool.

Law states that you can't even question if a dog is a service dog. Honestly, I give no shits about dogs in my restaurants, as long as they're well behaved. If the dog acts like poo poo, we'll kick you out, and you can argue all you want, but proper service dogs don't act like poo poo, so I know you won't even try to sue.

And nobody gives a gently caress about Yelp, it's all about TripAdvisor these days, get with the times people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Law states that you can't even question if a dog is a service dog. Honestly, I give no shits about dogs in my restaurants, as long as they're well behaved. If the dog acts like poo poo, we'll kick you out, and you can argue all you want, but proper service dogs don't act like poo poo, so I know you won't even try to sue.

And nobody gives a gently caress about Yelp, it's all about TripAdvisor these days, get with the times people.

I do think it's funny that people pay money to get any sort of certification or special vest for their obviously fake service dog since it's all fake, and it's not like we'd throw them out if they didn't have the fake vest.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I've lurked this thread for a while and just wanted to chime in--

The law states if an actual real service dog acts lovely, you can throw it and the owner out as well. It doesn't protect bad behaviour.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm super not a fan of dogs in restaurants. Service animals, cool, they're doing a job and are well trained. Your random pup? No way. I love dogs, but if one gets into the kitchen, they are likely going to get hurt, because nothing BoH is remotely dog safe.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Put in my notice today and even though I've been thinking of changing careers and getting into IT or something for a while now I'm still eager to just jump into a different kitchen. A golf course kitchen is pretty chill and easy but good lord is it boring. I badly need a change of scenery and more of a challenge.

The sushi place I like near me is hiring. I'm debating hitting them up or saying gently caress it and taking time off until after new years to start looking.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Willie Tomg posted:

Add me to the list of people stealing this and using it tomorrow. As the person whose job it is to run a flaming hot sheet pan of biscuits down to the other end of our cramped kitchen, I'm usually the one yelling "HOT BEHIND HOT BEHIND OOO YEAH [line guy I'm delivering to] HAS A HOT BEHIND"

On the subject of call-outs: one woman there does this thing when she's on the line getting tickets. A new tix will come in, and she precedes her call-out with something that sounds like "newbies". Like her patter is:
"NEW BEEZ GUYS! DROP SPECIAL, DROP BRISKET, DROP CATFISH, I NEED TWO CAKES ALL DAY"

What does the new beez thing mean? I get in context it means just that a new ticket's in, I guess? Just never heard it before, and I'm a little embarrassed to ask, for fear of looking like a newbie myself.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Skwirl posted:

Instead of trying to spot fake disabled people maybe consider the idea that many disabilities, especially mental ones, are invisible to random people in the street but this doesn't somehow mean you don't need a dog trained to help you when you dissociate/have a seizure/flashback.

That aside dogs in restaurants are like small kids in restaurants, don't let them run around and get in the staff's way and I don't care.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 22, 2017

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Catfishenfuego posted:

Instead of trying to spot fake disabled people maybe consider the idea that many disabilities, especially mental ones, are invisible to random people in the street but this doesn't somehow mean you don't need a dog trained to help you when you dissociate/have a seizure/flashback.

It's a sticky wicket to be sure. There are bona fide service animals that help with things you described: seizures, PTSD, etc, where you might not spot the disability, but it's legit. Then there's assholes who milk the system and get a letter from a psych they paid to say their Paris Hilton purse dog is a service animal. These are the fuckers who ruin it for the folks you and I both recognize, and deserve to get the boot.

I haven't had any issues since I've been in the industry, but back when I worked for a public library, we had all kinds of service or "service" animals coming in. Iguanas, rabbits, birds... the official county policy was you could not ask for any ID or certification, just two questions.
"Is that a service animal?"
"What service does it perform?"
...and then you basically let them do whatever, unless another patron was freaking out about it. (Then it went above my paygrade, I'd just do a "not my circus" hand flap, call in a dept head, and be done with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

That aside dogs in restaurants are like small kids in restaurants, don't let them run around and get in the staff's way and I don't care.

Emotional support animals don't qualify as service dogs under the ADA. It's not something I look for because I know there's almost nothing I can do about it, it's just something that gets shoved in my face pretty frequently. I'm more calm if my cat is hanging around me, but I don't bring my loving cat into restaurants, because I'm not that big of an rear end in a top hat.