Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

panascope posted:

30k is perfect.

It will be once they get rid of those stupid templates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Hi guys.

I'll be doing a Shadespire tournament in Birmingham UK on 10th December. But now I have to be really organised, sell tickets online and very likely organise prizes (GW community won't do it with events below about 100 people).

So I need some advice.

What is the most secure cheap or free ticket selling app or service or button?

What is the best way to create a small website to do this? Wix?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I've never used it on the planner side, but I see a lot of people using EventBrite.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

LordAba posted:

FUUUUUUUCK the new point system sideways. Thanks for pointing that out.

Weirdly enough I actually kind of like it, since once you know how much weapons and units cost you can price stuff out on the fly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thundercloud posted:

Hi guys.

I'll be doing a Shadespire tournament in Birmingham UK on 10th December. But now I have to be really organised, sell tickets online and very likely organise prizes (GW community won't do it with events below about 100 people).

So I need some advice.

I always just used Paypal. Still seems common in 40k at least. If you're decently well known people are usually ok with it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Hi guys.

So I need some advice.

Yeah, Facebook event and PayPal is how I’ve always seen this done for infinity, and never seen any problems.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
gently caress the Herald of Tzeentch. gently caress the shoulder contact points. gently caress the hand contact points. Somewhat gently caress the foot contact points. Bugger the ceremonial knife. Bugger the instructions which transpose 73 and 37. There is no piece 73. There is zero grip on the arms so weapons don’t really get any purchase.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Milotic posted:

gently caress the Herald of Tzeentch. gently caress the shoulder contact points. gently caress the hand contact points. Somewhat gently caress the foot contact points. Bugger the ceremonial knife. Bugger the instructions which transpose 73 and 37. There is no piece 73. There is zero grip on the arms so weapons don’t really get any purchase.

Just as planned. :devil: It is a very fiddly kit though.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

PierreTheMime posted:

Just as planned. :devil: It is a very fiddly kit though.

I got so hosed off, I glued the Vulcharc wings from the Kairic Acolyte kit onto either side. It’s a Daemon. I’ll greenstuff any gaps. Don’t want to have to make another one of those in a hurry.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every time I hear more about 30K it makes me want to try it, but gently caress buying another army when I haven't even painted the ones I have.
30k, though initially meant for 5th edition, took 7th edition 40k and made it functional and relatively balanced. Games are also quicker than 7th because re-rolls are minimal and things just loving die all over the place. The basic legion list works very well and the various legions' special rules and units only enhance it. Not to say there aren't some issues; veterans are underpriced and amazing while destroyers are just trash. Some of the unique units could use some tweaking as well. However, despite sharing a large pool of units, each of the legions plays differently from the rest and Rites of War further differentiate them. The Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, and militia lists add some additional variety to the game as well.

Unfortunately, Forge World has completely dropped the ball since Inferno's release. For some very valid reasons. :smith: As a result, I'd be hesitant to encourage someone to pick up 30k right now. At least until it gets back on track with the rulebook, Angelus, etc.

Artum posted:

Weirdly enough I actually kind of like it, since once you know how much weapons and units cost you can price stuff out on the fly.
But you could always do this. :psyduck:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

But you could always do this. :psyduck:

Except different weapons generally cost different amounts for different units which is a lot more to remember than a lascannon being 25pts?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Except different weapons generally cost different amounts for different units which is a lot more to remember than a lascannon being 25pts?

I see you haven't looked at the tyranid wargear

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
The only thing that sucks about 30k is the snowflake rules that stuff like Mechanicus and the spam you see in armor, especially with 30K IG

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
40K really needs to add The Price Of Failure:

30K also has additional restrictions in place if you want to take your Primarch and penalties for losing him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hypothetical situation. Say you listened to the latest Badcast, and say that episode made you seriously consider playing Tyranids. If said thought revolved around focusing on genestealers, what would be a good list?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hypothetical situation. Say you listened to the latest Badcast, and say that episode made you seriously consider playing Tyranids. If said thought revolved around focusing on genestealers, what would be a good list?

Depends on the point level, but the Getting Started box is a really great jumping off point as a Trygon tunnel and a bunch of Genestealers is a solid combination.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago and the answer was the new start collecting box and another box of stealers. They put out a sickening number of rending attacks, have a 5++, and can advance and charge on the same turn - they're pretty loving sick.

Plus the Broodlord is awesome with his non-degrading profile and is a great beatstick in his own right.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What features, if any, are good for Genestealers?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you talking about upgrades (biomorphs)? Take one Acid Maw for every four models (which costs no points) but beside that play them naked. They are beautiful and deadly just the way they are.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Consider some toxin sacs for Gorgon - they synch nicely with rending claws. You get your rend on 6+, the same roll you get your +1 damage from the sacs. Gorgon adaptation lets you re-roll 1's to wound for even more opportunities. Gorgon strat turns your 6+ toxin sacs into 5+. Unless your opponent is in the know they will underestimate what these guys can do for a while.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The store is nice, spacious and clean and the players are decent and open to new people, if a bit heavy on the groggy/WAAC side of the spectrum.

I do prefer Tactical Advantage down in Edwardsville and would suggest checking it out if you're not coming from North of Scranton. Real easy to get a game on any given night if you post in the FB group when you'll be there and what size game you're looking for.

Thanks man, just wanting to know what I was getting into.

Is there a place to buy individual bits btw? I'm planning on my Plague Marines swinging some Plague Flails and the fact that the box only give you one is driving me nuts.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So what would be a good starting force, say 1000? It looks like getting two of the Start Collecting boxes would get things going nicely.

PierreTheMime posted:

Are you talking about upgrades (biomorphs)? Take one Acid Maw for every four models (which costs no points) but beside that play them naked. They are beautiful and deadly just the way they are.

Even toxin sacs?

Deified Data posted:

Consider some toxin sacs for Gorgon - they synch nicely with rending claws. You get your rend on 6+, the same roll you get your +1 damage from the sacs. Gorgon adaptation lets you re-roll 1's to wound for even more opportunities. Gorgon strat turns your 6+ toxin sacs into 5+. Unless your opponent is in the know they will underestimate what these guys can do for a while.

I was thinking Kraken, but I could definitely buy into Gorgon's paint scheme and bonus.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Even toxin sacs?

Toxin sacs are not a bad option, but I’m a fan of quantity over quality when it comes to Nids. It is correct that you’ll be doing 2 damage for each six but a lot of times you’ll be battling models with 1W and it will be wasted. That’s not to say it’s not great when you get a few 6s against Primaris or something, but 4pts is a TON for the chance. You’re losing 1/4 of your models and that’s just not worth it to me.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So, for shits and giggles, I put together a list. It would either be amazing, or awful. I'm not sure.

Spearhead Detachment - Hive Fleet Kraken
HQ - Old One Eye
Heavy - 3x Carnifex - 4x Devourers - Spore Cysts - Enhanced Senses
Heavy - 3x Carnifex - 4x Devourers - Spore Cysts - Enhanced Senses
Heavy - 2x Carnifex - 4x Devourers - Spore Cysts - Enhanced Senses
Heavy - 3x Carnifex - 2x Pairs Scything Talons - Spore Cysts - Tusks - Adrenal Glands - Toxin Sacs - Bone Mace
Heavy - 3x Carnifex - 2x Pairs Scything Talons - Spore Cysts - Tusks - Adrenal Glands - Toxin Sacs - 1x has a Bone Mace, other 2 do not.
Heavy - 2x Carnifex - 2x Pairs Scything Talons - Spore Cysts - Tusks - Adrenal Glands - Toxin Sacs

I only need a dozen more Carnifex models to pull it off. :v:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Have any of you ever used the modular plastic terrain from Tehnolog/various other Russian companies

Did you like it

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

goose willis posted:

Have any of you ever used the modular plastic terrain from Tehnolog/various other Russian companies

Did you like it

I'm curious, got a link?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

Toxin sacs are not a bad option, but I’m a fan of quantity over quality when it comes to Nids. It is correct that you’ll be doing 2 damage for each six but a lot of times you’ll be battling models with 1W and it will be wasted. That’s not to say it’s not great when you get a few 6s against Primaris or something, but 4pts is a TON for the chance. You’re losing 1/4 of your models and that’s just not worth it to me.

Fair enough.

Out of curiosity have the Genestealer models not changed since... well in forever?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Immanentized posted:

I'm curious, got a link?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Hive-One-Tehnolog-Ultracliks-plastic-modular-terrain/322561045704

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Hive-Two-Tehnolog-Cyberclicks-plastic-modular-terrain/322561047112

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Out of curiosity have the Genestealer models not changed since... well in forever?

The “current” set is from the early 2000s. Space Hulk and Overkill models exist as well, but are harder to come by.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hypothetically you might want an FW Malanthrope to go in every list, unless you're worried about it getting nerfed.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

this is precisely why i love doing a podcast

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm looking to get in to 40K properly so my girlfriend's getting me some models for Christmas. Been playing with a friend for a while and using his stuff and it seems like great fun.

Want to go Tyranids because they're cool, have a new codex and I've got some badly painted models left over from when I was like 9 or 10 years old that I can use as a bonus. Picked up the Codex, did a fair bit of reading and I think I'm going to go for 2x 2016 Start Collecting Boxes and a 1x 2017 Start Collecting box. With the old crap I've got at home that gives me:

2x Hive Tyrant
1x Broodlord
1x Trygon/Trygon Prime
20x Genestealers
20x Gargoyles (-10 because I'm taking wings to put on warriors to make shrikes)
6x Tyranid Warriors/Shrikes
2x Biovores/Pyrovores
3x Rippers
Some Termigaunts
Some Spore Mines

That's a decent enough army to get going with right? I'm planning on magnetising the Hive Tyrants and Trygon/Trygon Prime so I can switch Hive Tyrant strategies up and play with a Swarm Lord/Mawloc for variety.

I feel like this gives me a good few options for playing. Plenty of deep strike potential, loads of mobility for objective based games, can utilise different Hive Fleet powers reasonably well, Flyrants, enough trash to cover the Broodlord if Genestealers are deep-striking etc ...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody else feel like the Typhoon Missile Launcher is incredibly over costed? I've got a few vehicles modeled with them and every time I see how much they end up costing I pick something else. 157 pts for a MM/ML Land Speeder seems like way too much.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Sex Cannon posted:

this is precisely why i love doing a podcast

Will you guys please think of the poor wallets you’re emptying? Podcast responsibly.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Does anybody else feel like the Typhoon Missile Launcher is incredibly over costed? I've got a few vehicles modeled with them and every time I see how much they end up costing I pick something else. 157 pts for a MM/ML Land Speeder seems like way too much.

Yes, and so is a normal missile launcher. As many points as a lascannon for -1s - 1ap, but getting the option of d6 bolter shots. I think they need to either drop in points or the frag missiles need to get better.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
This floaty boy took quite a while to paint, but i am happy with the result. Also have some Aggressors and Inceptors painted up that i should get around to posting. Waiting to get a better photography setup.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Speckled Jim posted:

This floaty boy took quite a while to paint, but i am happy with the result. Also have some Aggressors and Inceptors painted up that i should get around to posting. Waiting to get a better photography setup.

I love it, especially the chevrons on the weapons. What's your yellow recipe?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Booley posted:

I love it, especially the chevrons on the weapons. What's your yellow recipe?

Vallejo Gold yellow
Burnt umber shading
White highlights
Vallejo Medium Yellow over the whole thing to blend it together

Then a burnt umber oil pin wash

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Went home to the parents and found my old Warhammer stash.

Found like ~2k in an Eldar BFG fleet, 1.5-2k in Imperials, and probably 1.5k in Orks

😀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Speckled Jim posted:

Vallejo Gold yellow
Burnt umber shading
White highlights
Vallejo Medium Yellow over the whole thing to blend it together

Then a burnt umber oil pin wash

Sup Repulsor bro! That one looks awesome!