Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sounds like we need a reminder that satan got angry at god giving welfare to the lesser beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/don_chump/status/933057957415223297

quote:

In the days before white nationalists overtook her campus, Teresa A. Sullivan, the university’s president, conjured up an image far quainter than what the world would see. The university, she told board members, was prepared for the possibility that demonstrators from Unite the Right might come to grounds, but perhaps only as harmless tourists.

"Of course we anticipate that some of them will be interested merely in seeing Mr. Jefferson’s architecture and Lawn," Ms. Sullivan wrote in an email on August 9, two days before the Friday night march.

quote:

In the tense days that followed the demonstration, Virginia’s president criticized student activists for what she described as their failure to pass along concerns about the white supremacists’ march.

"Nobody elevated it to us," Ms. Sullivan said in a videotaped exchange with a student. "Don’t expect us to be reading the alt-right websites. We don’t do that. Now you guys have responsibility here too. Tell us what you know."

But records and interviews show that students and faculty members did just that, even as they feared being dismissed as social-justice crusaders crying wolf.

quote:

Behind the scenes, the university police were in contact with Unite the Right’s designated "security guy," who is identified in emails as "Eli." This appears to reference Eli Mosley, an Army veteran who would later identify himself to reporters as the "command soldier major of the ‘alt-right,’" executing the Lawn march "as a military operation.’"

True to Mr. Mosley’s description, the group used drones to surveil the area before taking the Rotunda.

The following day, according to a report in Vice, Mr. Mosley would encourage armed men to return to the Robert E. Lee statue, off campus in Emancipation Park, after they had been ordered to disperse. "I need shooters," he would say. "We’re gonna send 200 people with long rifles back to that statue."

The university police, who had relied on Mr. Mosley as a point of contact within the group, came to question his reliability as Friday night progressed. He would tell the officers that the crowd was not as large as they had hoped and that the group had no intention of marching through the very heart of the campus. He also promised that they would pick up their trash.

"He says all is going good," Angela M. Tabler, a patrol lieutenant, wrote to fellow officers at 9:57 p.m.

quote:

But few within the university’s administration shared this optimistic view. Communications during this critical period have the feel of an impending siege, as university officials exchange real-time intelligence from three vantage points.

Ms. Sullivan was stationed at Carr’s Hill, the president’s residence. Allen W. Groves, dean of students and the lone administrator on hand at the Rotunda, provided Ms. Sullivan with eyes on the ground. The president was also in communication with Larry J. Sabato, a professor of politics who had sheltered students in the basement of a faculty pavilion on the Lawn, where he lives.

"Lots of yelling west of us, but I can’t see anything yet," Ms. Sullivan wrote to Mr. Groves at 9:45 p.m.

Mr. Groves replied, "We can hear it up here, too."

At 9:56 p.m., Ms. Sullivan wrote back, "I think they are headed to south lawn with open flames."

This was not what was supposed to happen. Mr. Mosley had assured officers that the group would march along University Avenue, a route that would take them to the north side of the Rotunda away from the core of campus.

"Wondering what his excuse is for lying," Captain McGee wrote to Lieutenant Tabler.

Mr. Mosley had told the police that the group changed its route to avoid counterprotesters, a claim that Captain McGee found less than credible.

"I have a hard time buying that," he wrote.

The torches were now a higher-order concern, as the group snaked past McIntire Amphitheatre, closing in on the Lawn.

"Amphitheater," Ms. Sullivan wrote to Mr. Groves at 10:01 p.m.

Captain McGee pinged Lieutenant Tabler two minutes later.

"Angela," he wrote, "does the security guy know the concern with the torches around buildings?"

Chief Gibson had the same question.

Marching in formation across the Lawn, the group of about 300 men yelled in unison, "Blood and Soil!" and "Whose Streets? Our Streets."

At 10:07 p.m., they reached the Rotunda. From there, they descended a long set of stairs to the Jefferson statue, surrounding a couple of dozen protesters, who were shouting "No Nazis! No KKK! No Fascist USA!"

The police hung back as tensions escalated. There were no orders to stand down, Mr. de Bruyn, the university spokesman, said. But the officers relied on the same tactics of minimal intrusion that they had used in decades of previous nonviolent protests, a strategy that the internal investigation characterized as "insufficient" to deal with a "large, highly organized, torch-bearing group intent on intimidation."

As the mob closed in on counterprotesters, violence appeared all but inevitable. A torch, wielded like a spear, struck Mr. Groves. His arm bled as he tried to pull students out of the melee, eyewitnesses said.

Two Virginia law-school students, filming the events from a high perch and streaming their footage live on Facebook, described the scene in panicked commentary: "Oh my God," one said. "There are torches going. They are beating up the counterprotesters."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cops coordinating with Nazis and the administration just taking them at their word. How stupid were these people?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

They're middle class whites, so...

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cops coordinating with Nazis and the administration just taking them at their word. How stupid were these people?

cops love nazis

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

zegermans posted:

cops love are nazis

ftfy

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

the fact this ended with car murder and not a mountain of corpses is extraordinary

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Office Pig posted:

the fact this ended with car murder and not a mountain of corpses is extraordinary

we are aided first and foremost by the fact our nazis are not good at this

the trick is to not allow them to get good at this

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Those kids in the square are some of the bravest people that I've ever seen.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Lit. "No, it is not our responsibility or liability; it's the children's!"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Those kids in the square are some of the bravest people that I've ever seen.
Emily in that article is on Twitter

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/919583048236240896

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

rudatron posted:

really, the situation here isn't that much different from the that of the average fascist - in a fascist america, do you think any of these chucklefucks, even if they're white dudes, are going to be on top? No, they're going to be slaving away in the prison camps, with a boot on their neck, because labor rights won't exist

more than anything else, fascism glorifies power, the abuse of power, concentration of power, inequality, etc. it then retroactively legitimizes itself, rewrites history, to fit whatever self-serving goal the people in power want. the people without power, are trash, to be exploited, abused or killed, purely at the discretion of those with power. that's its naked foundation.

some terminally online white dude, convinced that white genocide is around the corner, is not and never will be in a position to benefit from that.

so even if some stupid trans person is patently sticking around people who don't give a poo poo about them, it's not really that different from poor/middle class white dudes agitating for a political ideology where you are superfluous, because you're jealous of how manly black dudes are or whatever

but whatever self-cucking brain disease they have, that compels them to make these terrible decision, ultimately doesn't matter. if they're tragic figures, they're tragic figures wielding a knife, trying to shiv minorities. you don't really have that many choices.

the nazi will always be the mentally disturbed dude who shived his parents and then cries for clemency in court because he is an orphan

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Have any of you discord lurkers found a Chad onion eater vs Chad soyboy yet?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I have developed a tiny crush.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

i have the same model of rifle. nice gun, affordable.

For some reason I'm not nearly as accurate with it as I am with my AK at range though.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Wow who could have predicted this

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

Wow who could have predicted this

I hate university administrators almost as much as I hate cops these days.

The students ALWAYS warn them that poo poo has changed, and then when something goes bad, they throw their hands up like "but that's not how it was in the 90s!!!!!"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
"Free speech!" they cry, believing the Nazi's to be morally equivalent to Mario Savio

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Bullfrog posted:

I hate university administrators almost as much as I hate cops these days.

The students ALWAYS warn them that poo poo has changed, and then when something goes bad, they throw their hands up like "but that's not how it was in the 90s!!!!!"

They're the same species of rule following dumbfucks. It's just the cops is the dumbfuck dumbfucks and the administrators are the smartass dumbfucks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's that kind of thing that taught me to only trust your fists etc. etc. etc.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Azathoth posted:

This strikes me as being on the same level as anti-GLBT pastors and politicians getting caught having sex with a male sex worker or having an affair with another man.

On one side, I understand that outing someone is a wrong, it is no one's right but theirs to tell that to the world, or not tell that to the world, as they see fit.

On the other hand, I believe that it is a greater wrong for that person to have that internal identity and to then do and say what the right does about GLBT people. It is an ongoing wrong as well, one which compounds over time as they continue to spew hate.

It also exposes an ongoing pattern of hypocrisy regarding the anti-GLBT right, which makes them less likely to influence the general public towards their hate, which is good thing.

As such, I would view it as a moral imperative to commit the lesser wrong and out them, rather than let them continue to publicly spread hate and intolerance via continued silence on their private life.

I strongly disagree. If we're going to destroy our political opponents, let it be by their views and not by outing them as gay or trans, thus reinforcing that being so is wrong and worthy of ostracism.

I'm just saying that I think Styx came out themselves, and so passing it on is not akin to outing them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i don't really care about styx tbh

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the matrix coats were cool ok.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BONGHITZ posted:

the matrix coats were cool ok.

Oh Bong! No, no they weren't ever cool. And you didn't look cool wearing one.

I'm sorry. :(

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

chinos.....lots of chinos

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Tias posted:

I strongly disagree. If we're going to destroy our political opponents, let it be by their views and not by outing them as gay or trans, thus reinforcing that being so is wrong and worthy of ostracism.

I'm just saying that I think Styx came out themselves, and so passing it on is not akin to outing them.

the dude who posted that didn't out anyone, whoever made that image and posted that on 4chan did

edit: also lmao gently caress these people when they'd gleefully harass LGBT people in the drop of a hat. people that refuse to give sympathy don't deserve any

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
personally, i would never out someone even as im feeding them in2 a wood chipper. ppl should feel safe in their identity around me

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

outing them reinforces the fact that the Nazi movement is not actually a fun safe place for queer people to hang out when they are deluged with abuse and threats from their hilarious online friends.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tias posted:

If you think I'll blanch at using literally any tactic against these people you're badly mistaken.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All nazis must die, whether by each other or their own hands, or other means. I never have and never will have compassion for a nazi.

Just ask yourself what this particular nazi would do to you if given a chance.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
empathy not sympathy. enough empathy to communicate that going down this road will end badly for them. but no sympathy.

https://twitter.com/Hatewatch/status/933127303059722240

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

empathy not sympathy. enough empathy to communicate that going down this road will end badly for them. but no sympathy.

https://twitter.com/Hatewatch/status/933127303059722240

This that Atomwaffen psycho?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I'm the Hispanic looking dude in the lower left.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

This that Atomwaffen psycho?
nah just some PNW boneheads

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
empathy in the sense that i empathize somewhat with them. this is going to be tricky to explain. empathy is not sympathy.

the main thing is they have a delusional and basically suicidal worldview which will lead to their own doom. leaving aside the murder of other people, they idolize a guy who sparked a war which burned germany to the ground, destroyed centuries of art and architecture, and who then ordered his own soldiers to destroy the rest of it before he blew his brains out. fortunately, those soldiers didn't carry out his order.

you see what i'm getting at.

i like small towns in the heartland with german-american meat markets and such. this is in my background and it's really a stroke of luck that i didn't become one of these guys. also one of the things about these german heritage towns in the midwest and parts of texas is the ones that survived (and are pretty nice) preserved their culture but also made their culture attractive to visitors with restaurants, wineries, festivals, art galleries, etc.

these white supremacist groups would substitute that for a DPRK-style autarky and that's the best case scenario from their perspective.

but you can go back and read about how a somewhat similar tactic was adopted by the german-american left during WWII against the nazi german-american bund; i.e. situating german-americans with ethnic pluralism, not to mention german jews. there are lot of problems with german-america's relationship with whiteness but it was fairly effective, although the bundists caused a lot of damage by taking over vereins (local german-american clubs) which didn't survive the war.

nazis bad.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Why are even the fighter neo-Nazis always chunky fatass lardos? Can't they cut and actually get a physique other than Power Lifter Who Has Difficulty Moving in A Fight?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KiteAuraan posted:

Why are even the fighter neo-Nazis always chunky fatass lardos? Can't they cut and actually get a physique other than Power Lifter Who Has Difficulty Moving in A Fight?

There are some that are pretty fit, but good decisions and the far-right don't exactly go hand in hand.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

uh

huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me