Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nearly 3-minute long promo for the better DCU teamup event of this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've kind of drifted away from the CW shows, but I think I'll be down for that.

Are the shows more comic book insanity and less CW relationship idiocy now? If so, I may start adding it back the my DVR schedule.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Proteus Jones posted:

Are the shows more comic book insanity and less CW relationship idiocy now? If so, I may start adding it back the my DVR schedule.

I mostly watch Arrow, so my answer would be: "both"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think Supergirl has just about around the same amount of relationship stuff as it's always had, but Flash is definitely much more light comic book funtimes this year with some very occasional sprinklings of someone giving someone else an emotional speech about something or another.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Really the only one still dealing with CW relationship stories is Supergirl. Everyone else has pretty much settled down with their love interest of choice (Arrow, Flash) or it doesn't really come up (Legends.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Legends looked like it might go there early in the season, but then someone dangled keys in front of it, which honestly is probably for the best. The Black Lightning show looks like it will probably lean on CW drama more than the other shows.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

ABC has a very successful series about magical fairy tales come to life, so it isn't that execs think no one gets magic. Lot's of successful shows involve magic.
But what about shows that involve advanced science, the test audiences asked too many questions and seemed confused! We need to have either or not both!!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The concept of magic has been around for like 6000 years I am entirely unconvinced the idea of people not understanding it is the reason

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luke Cage s2 wrapped shooting this week so I'd expect it to release in the spring.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hm, the AV Club's review says the Yorkes are still time travelers, contrary to an earlier review I read. Hope that's the case. As for the magic, I can probably live with that if they just say "it's science" once near the start and then never mention it again like in the Thor movies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All I care about is if Karo is a big ol gaylien who wants to get in Nico's pants, tbh. Since we won't get Molly kicking Logan's rear end.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's up!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just realized it's the 20th right now. Hell yes, watching the poo poo out of this after work!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wait, what's up? what are we reacting to?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Runaways.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought it hadn't finished filming its first season? Huh...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It airs technically tomorrow, but since it's on Hulu/Netflix(probably) in most countries I guess ?? it went up for 12EST?

Airs on the 22nd in Canada but that's not stopping me, if I can get it tonight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Punisher is without a doubt the best Marvel Netflix series yet and I'm only halfway through.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's pretty drat amazing. I have two episodes left.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was not going to watch it. I was adamantly against the idea of the Punisher getting the spotlight again. But the reviews here made me give it a chance. And then the epic Facebook meltdowns of NOT MAH PUNISHA have really helped me appreciate the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like Punisher a lot, but it gets pretty stale imo when it doesn't delve a little deeper into how hosed his whole situation is. The PTSD aspects of the story are great, especially the side plot with the young vet.

It helps they focused his hatred toward a bigger conspiracy, rather than having him just shooting drug dealers and gangbangers. Which is fine for a Punisher story imo, but not a whole season of it.

I would have loved to see a Punisher show where he's basically a slasher villain, though, and have the main focus be on the criminals he's going after. Humanising the bad guys in a sense, if done well, would be another route to take to keep from glorifying him too much. His sense of justice should be horrible instead of something you're cheering about.

Not to say finding the action in a Punisher story satisfying is bad, because other than one set piece I think all the fights and gunplay have been pretty solid entertainment, but the brutality of it needs to be sold as going too far. The show does this well imo, especially with the longer stretches between explosions of violence.

I'm just so happy this show is so good. I hope season two of Luke Cage steps it up, too. I fell off of season one and still haven't finished it. Marvel Netflix has been pretty meh since DDS2, which has a ton of issues of its own in the back half.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I was not going to watch it. I was adamantly against the idea of the Punisher getting the spotlight again. But the reviews here made me give it a chance. And then the epic Facebook meltdowns of NOT MAH PUNISHA have really helped me appreciate the show.

It's seriously like they thought "what is every single terrible assumption people would have about a Punisher show" and then ran in the opposite direction, while still somehow making it a Punisher show

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just hope they don't dump the show runner between seasons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What episode does the best character appear? (In Runaways I mean)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just about to start it up now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh weird, Molly is Gert's sister in this? Adoptive probs but huh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fun way to find out their making a Deadly Class tv show.

https://twitter.com/Remender/status/932821124341170176

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone was wondering but had dropped the show, this week's episode of The Gifted explained the whole von Strucker/Fenris Twins thing. Basically Reed, the dad character, goes and visits his father who explains that his father (Reed's grandfather) was Andreas von Strucker. Who, alongside his twin sister Andrea, were mutant terrorists in the 30s called Fenris. He then explains that he is also a mutant and the only reason Reed wasn't as well was because he engineered a virus for him when he was young that was supposed to disable his X-gene.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

In case anyone was wondering but had dropped the show, this week's episode of The Gifted explained the whole von Strucker/Fenris Twins thing. Basically Reed, the dad character, goes and visits his father who explains that his father (Reed's grandfather) was Andreas von Strucker. Who, alongside his twin sister Andrea, were mutant terrorists in the 30s called Fenris. He then explains that he is also a mutant and the only reason Reed wasn't as well was because he engineered a virus for him when he was young that was supposed to disable his X-gene.

I am enjoying this show. This was a funny line from the last episode:

"Reed, a car is outside. I think it's Sentinel Services."
<looks out window>

that'll be a yup

e: also the Alt-J song was a nice touch

e2: also I'm still watching Flash and the latest stuff is getting pretty creepy.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 22, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

even in doctor strange, magic was kind of portrayed as the ability to access extra-dimensional energy with cross dimensional travel thrown in, so I'm not surprised they're going in that direction with runaways.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Magic being inter-dimensional energy is kind of a staple in at least a few popular fantasy works, so it is kind of silly for them to be ok with magic in every way but name. Saw first two episodes of Runaways. Seems decent so far.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm liking this show but the writers need to take a dialogue class because the cliches and the flat out bad dialogue for many characters is really bad. And that sucks because the plots are decent for network televisions and they don't cheap out on the effects too much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Checked out The Gifted since the ratings look good enough that it's gonna get a second season, and it seems pretty decent. Though, nothing ruins a female character imo like making her pregnant.

Also, hope Singer isn’t critical to the show's production since he could go down at any minute

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 22, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Also, hope Singer isn’t critical to the show's production since he could go down at any minute

I imagine there's no shortage of producers who could be found to replace him, but I don't know a) how producers' service contracts work; or b) what producers actually do most of the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...no one does...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Singer directed the pilot but other than that he isn't the producer who is actually in charge of the show, that is Matt Nix.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just found out that not only are the villains of Flash South African actors, but the Thinkers official origin is that he is South African as well, so now I am firmly in Team Thinkers camp instead of stupid silly Flash Camp. I bet the Flash smells bad too. Go Team Thinker!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Singer directed the pilot but other than that he isn't the producer who is actually in charge of the show, that is Matt Nix.

I recently heard that if you directed the pilot of a TV show that becomes successful, you make a whole lot of money off the entire series.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently heard that if you directed the pilot of a TV show that becomes successful, you make a whole lot of money off the entire series.

Rosenbaum/Welling interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't figure out who Runaways is for. I'm enjoying it, but I don't think 35 year old men is their target audience. It doesn't quite come off as a young adult show, but I'm not sure a show about teens is intended for adults. (Though I suppose the success of Stranger Things suggests otherwise.)