Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Syzygy Stardust posted:

He’s never publishing The Winds of Winter.

Especially since he had that health scare a while back, I've pretty much resigned myself to a Jordan WoT scenario where he dies or retires and someone else finishes it up from his notes. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, of course, but it feels like the most likely scenario at this point. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Especially since he had that health scare a while back, I've pretty much resigned myself to a Jordan WoT scenario where he dies or retires and someone else finishes it up from his notes. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, of course, but it feels like the most likely scenario at this point. :sigh:

Thank god for tv at least

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

jng2058 posted:

You will be proven wrong. He's said that he won't allow anyone to finish his books after his death. And we all know that he isn't finishing them so the series is pretty much done now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

You will be proven wrong. He's said that he won't allow anyone to finish his books after his death. And we all know that he isn't finishing them so the series is pretty much done now.

Eh, pretty sure whomever gets his estate after he dies will get to decide that. And that person (wife? kids? :shrug:) will be looking at a big pile o' money if they let someone finish the books for them. I'm betting pile o' money wins out in the end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If G. R. R. M. doesn’t want someone else to finish his story, he needs to write faster.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

jng2058 posted:

Eh, pretty sure whomever gets his estate after he dies will get to decide that. And that person (wife? kids? :shrug:) will be looking at a big pile o' money if they let someone finish the books for them. I'm betting pile o' money wins out in the end.

His wife Paris. He's said in the past that he doesn't think she would allow it either so it then passes on to the whoever's next in line. Either way it's going to be a while and I wouldn't hold my breath.

In Expanse news, I bought strange dogs. Is that any good?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

In Expanse news, I bought strange dogs. Is that any good?

It’s one of the best zombie stories ever written.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo. Didn’t see that coming.

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/james-s-a-corey/persepolis-rising/9780316332835/

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So am I reading that right that it's a thirty year time jump? Yeah, didn't see that coming either!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Same. I want this book to come out now. :f5:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

jng2058 posted:

So am I reading that right that it's a thirty year time jump? Yeah, didn't see that coming either!

Well, poo poo. It's Dragonlance's Dragons of Summer Flame all over again.

Hopefully this turns out better. I'm interested to see how things turn out based on the preview.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Not sure about that bit of info but I've loved the other books so I'm sure it's okay. But still...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I'm a little concerned by the fact that the exact same crew seems to be doing the exact same thing 30 years later. It seems like there should be more crew, some of the old crew should have left or died, or something. Seems odd, is all.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I'm a little concerned by the fact that the exact same crew seems to be doing the exact same thing 30 years later. It seems like there should be more crew, some of the old crew should have left or died, or something. Seems odd, is all.
Did I read it wrong or did they imply that Clarissa is the captain now, not Holden. I mean, that seems a bit different. I can buy that they're a bit sentimental/set in their ways otherwise. Seems like the theme of the story is going to be at least in part about older folks adjusting to a radically new world, so a bunch of has-been relics in an old ship seems thematically relevant. We'll see where things go though. Looking forward to the rest of the book!

I'd imagine the show isn't even aspiring to cover this material. I guess their best case is to cover until the end of Babylons Ashes. That'd probably be a good end point if they got that far.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It makes sense, really. It's kind of ridiculous how much upheaval happens in like a five-year span, or however long the books so far take. I was wondering in Babylon's Ashes how they could possibly keep the story going without society just collapsing from exhaustion-- a time-skip, and a new, yet well-established status quo seems like a neat way to do it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Eiba posted:

Did I read it wrong or did they imply that Clarissa is the captain now, not Holden. I mean, that seems a bit different. I can buy that they're a bit sentimental/set in their ways otherwise. Seems like the theme of the story is going to be at least in part about older folks adjusting to a radically new world, so a bunch of has-been relics in an old ship seems thematically relevant. We'll see where things go though. Looking forward to the rest of the book!

I'd imagine the show isn't even aspiring to cover this material. I guess their best case is to cover until the end of Babylons Ashes. That'd probably be a good end point if they got that far.

Well, there's the possibility of obfuscation in that in the Drummer bit they only talk about "Captain Holden", but then in the Bobbie section they do mention that Holden is a he, which obviates the obvious route of making the captain be Naomi Holden or something. Could still be Jim and Naomi's son, I suppose, or other male relative. Probably still Jim, though. That said, now that I'm looking at it there is no explicit mention of Naomi, and while I'd assumed that the reference to Claire was just a shortening of Clarissa's name, I guess it could be a new character.

I don't think so, though, and I'm getting a feeling that most of the crew of the Roci is the same as when we last saw them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Well, there's the possibility of obfuscation in that in the Drummer bit they only talk about "Captain Holden", but then in the Bobbie section they do mention that Holden is a he, which obviates the obvious route of making the captain be Naomi Holden or something. Could still be Jim and Naomi's son, I suppose, or other male relative. Probably still Jim, though. That said, now that I'm looking at it there is no explicit mention of Naomi, and while I'd assumed that the reference to Claire was just a shortening of Clarissa's name, I guess it could be a new character.

I don't think so, though, and I'm getting a feeling that most of the crew of the Roci is the same as when we last saw them.

Yeah, I might be misreading it. I thought "Clarissa tolerated no sticking or squeaking on her ship," implied she was the captain now. Which would be really weird and different. But Holden (as in James Holden) is still clearly in the picture. Seems like "her ship" probably just implied the ship she's serving on and things are indeed exactly the same as they were 30 years ago. That seems kind of likely now that I've reread the pertinent bits. Still relevant to the theme of old sentimental relics in a new world, which seems to be a thing (see the Earth representative waxing poetic about Earth's significance, and Drummer rolling her eyes, and then Drummer herself reflecting on how sentimental she is about Earth).

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Why are you spoilering something that is freely available on the net?

The holden is Jim with the comment about rooms smelling of coffee.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
This is a really neat move! I don't think I've ever had a series do this, usually I have a harder time empathizing with old characters.

Collateral posted:

Why are you spoilering something that is freely available on the net?

I appreciated it, gave me a second to go back and actually check the link. NBD for a couple of free chapters though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
After just finishing Pushing Ice and Red Mars I'm not really thrilled by a 30 year time jump. 5 maybe to show some movement, but it's going to be hard connecting with a crew of 60 year olds doing the same poo poo after all that time. Pushing Ice did that constantly and after awhile I stopped caring about any of the characters.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

future ghost posted:

After just finishing Pushing Ice and Red Mars I'm not really thrilled by a 30 year time jump. 5 maybe to show some movement, but it's going to be hard connecting with a crew of 60 year olds doing the same poo poo after all that time. Pushing Ice did that constantly and after awhile I stopped caring about any of the characters.

I'm surprised you could care about the pushing ice crew at all, it has some cool concepts but wafer thin characters.

I would assume life spans are a great deal longer that far in the future, so their 60 could be something like our 40.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Yeah... I will probably still buy it, but my interest level just dropped significantly.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I might be misreading it. I thought "Clarissa tolerated no sticking or squeaking on her ship," implied she was the captain now. Which would be really weird and different.

To be fair, Clarissa is a mechanic type, so I could easily see "her ship" being used in the sense where folks responsible for the upkeep of a vessel feel responsibility for it, even if they aren't the owner or captain. I just went and skimmed to the paragraph in question and as a whole it definitely seems to imply my reading and not "she's the captain", IMO.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bitprophet posted:

To be fair, Clarissa is a mechanic type, so I could easily see "her ship" being used in the sense where folks responsible for the upkeep of a vessel feel responsibility for it, even if they aren't the owner or captain. I just went and skimmed to the paragraph in question and as a whole it definitely seems to imply my reading and not "she's the captain", IMO.
Yeah, I'd agree. I read it pretty quickly the first time.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Collateral posted:

I'm surprised you could care about the pushing ice crew at all, it has some cool concepts but wafer thin characters.

I would assume life spans are a great deal longer that far in the future, so their 60 could be something like our 40.
The captains were really the only characters that got any development. As for Red Mars I'm having trouble remembering anyone but Nadia.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The really important question here is what does the time jump mean for Avasarala? She's not exactly young and it'll suck if she's either dead or sidelined as a retiree.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

bloom posted:

The really important question here is what does the time jump mean for Avasarala? She's not exactly young and it'll suck if she's either dead or sidelined as a retiree.

Probably that, though. I mean Fred's already dead, and she's of his generation. I expect that the people who were the old farts/mentors/experienced leaders are all dead or out of the game, with our current cast taking their places and a new generation of brash hotshots, including perhaps, Alex's son being the active hero types now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m not necessarily opposed to that, but dying of old age offscreen in between books is a pretty inglorious end to a beloved character’s arc.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m not necessarily opposed to that, but dying of old age offscreen in between books is a pretty inglorious end to a beloved character’s arc.

Neither is the main protagonists jumping in age from their 20s in the case of Clarissa and their early to mid 30s for the rest of the crew to their 50s and 60s.

Frankly speaking, you can only spin the near future sci-fi angel so far with, “the 60s is the new 40s...”

Basically you are taking protagonists your readers are now invested in after multiple books, and putting them straight into an age bracket that, I’m guessing, most of your readers won’t identify with.

At least that is how it appears without the book in my hand. And while that may work just fine artistically, it does not work well as a business decision.

This is because, frankly, of guys like me. I don’t care how good a novel is, if I cannot relate to the protagonist in some fundamental way, particularly if there is an event that changes the character(s) from familiar and relatable to neither, I won’t finish the book and by extension will give up on the series totally.

Edit

I hate admitting I can be a superficial consumer, but when it comes to serialized genre fiction, I am. :ohdear:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 21, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Seems like something they might cover in one of those between book short stories or novellas if she doesn't make it to Persepolis.

ZombieLenin posted:

Neither is the main protagonists jumping in age from their 20s in the case of Clarissa and their early to mid 30s for the rest of the crew to their 50s and 60s.

Frankly speaking, you can only spin the near future sci-fi angel so far with, “the 60s is the new 40s...”

Basically you are taking protagonists your readers are now invested in after multiple books, and putting them straight into an age bracket that, I’m guessing, most of your readers won’t identify with.

At least that is how it appears without the book in my hand. And while that may work just fine artistically, it does not work well as a business decision.

This is because, frankly, of guys like me. I don’t care how good a novel is, if I cannot relate to the protagonist in some fundamental way, particularly if there is an event that changes the character(s) from familiar and relatable to neither, I won’t finish the book and by extension will give up on the series totally.

Hence the introduction of younger cast to take their places as the "relatable" ones, I suspect. That's probably why they've got so large a time jump, so they can reasonably do The Expanse: The Next Generation in a way that only a five or ten year jump wouldn't allow.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm not reading the previews this close to release, but based on this info, it's not what I expected, but I am interested to see where they go. Seeing the old crew of the Roci as the last vestiges of the way things used to be dealing with the new era. I am looking forward to seeing Peaches and Amos as grizzled old-timers, and new cast members is a good thing in my opinion. One big open question is where Filip is gonna end up in all this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The excerpt chapters really lay “HEY EVERYBODY THEY’RE OLD AND CREAKY” on thick.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah... I will probably still buy it, but my interest level just dropped significantly.

It feels like a weird choice. Thirty years is a lot of time and I'd rather have seen the intervening time as opposed to being told about it. Surely a lot of things happened in those three decades.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A thirty year time jump?

I hope that some orphan finds the rocinante in a junk yard and then holden and Amos show up to help the plucky new crew battle against the Free Order Navy who have a new plan of throwing a planet at earth instead of asteroids. And it's led by marco's grandson.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Considering that the most recent book left off at the same cliffhanger that the one before it did (what's eating the ships in the gates, unless I'm remembering things wrong), dropping that and jumping ahead 30 years is...an extremely bold choice.

I mean I'm still going to buy this on day 1, but I'll be raising an eyebrow the entire time

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Lol the next book is set in a space retirement home.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Considering that the most recent book left off at the same cliffhanger that the one before it did (what's eating the ships in the gates, unless I'm remembering things wrong), dropping that and jumping ahead 30 years is...an extremely bold choice.

I mean I'm still going to buy this on day 1, but I'll be raising an eyebrow the entire time

Yeah. My first thought is 'what the heck happened' given that it seemed like they had a pretty good idea of what was happening if not exactly why at the end of the last book. Did nothing happen with it for thirty years? Why?

It feels like it is edging closer to the bad sort of 'what's going on here' questions. I'm struggling to think of a timeskip in a series I've ever enjoyed. Maybe Season 2 Battlestar? But that was two years, not thirty.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 22, 2017

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Longer sample.

https://www.overdrive.com/media/3198887/persepolis-rising

Prologue is Cortazar and Duerte, Bobby chapter is finished, another chapter from Holden, Drummer, and a Laconian captain.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
To be fair, whatever ate the ships has been waiting around for literally a billion years, it's not unreasonable for it to take a few decades to realise the gates are in use again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krazyface posted:

To be fair, whatever ate the ships has been waiting around for literally a billion years, it's not unreasonable for it to take a few decades to realise the gates are in use again.

They used a polling system when they should have used interrupts.

Rookie mistake.