Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So what if they're spending it on alcohol or drugs? What the hell were you going to spend it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

More, better drugs owing to the additional purchase power that comes with buying bulk.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

An investment property

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Avocados.

Not to eat though, i just want the pits to throw at poor people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Milk.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

An investment property

What? You can get one of these for free just sleep on that street with the really nice rangitoto view.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Has anyone linked this searing hot take yet: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/11/08/how-the-far-right-is-poisoning-new-zealand/?utm_term=.82ed73173245

e: for maximum hilarity, the dude who wrote this is pushing some kind of Russian conspiracy over Winnie meeting several times with the Russian ambassador

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 22, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/samfromwgtn/status/933079951078596608

good one dude

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Lady at work had a decent notion that the last year of university be free instead of the first, although I did point out that that would imply a diminishing incentive as you went along Dip-Deg-Mas-PHD. And that that effectively meant certs were free.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Lady at work had a decent notion that the last year of university be free instead of the first, although I did point out that that would imply a diminishing incentive as you went along Dip-Deg-Mas-PHD. And that that effectively meant certs were free.

undergrad is already treated differently to postgrad so I don't see how that would make too much difference. Seems like a decent incentive imo, if it was last year of undergrad

do people still use those terms, I don't know

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Certs SHOULD be free, they're an awesome way for people to upskill whilst having something to put on their CV, especially in the fields where everyone is perceived as a dumbass and literally any tertiary qualification gives you a leg up.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

A heart for the right, a head for the left.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

BloodRed posted:

What is more effective is systemic changes that put people in homes whether they like it or not;

http://theconversation.com/supportive-housing-is-cheaper-than-chronic-homelessness-67539

(The numbers will be different here but as an indication of how much $ homelessness costs our communities it's pretty similar)

But, this is probably the more important learning;

so, basically, no, giving directly turns you into a feel-good enabler.

We need changes to eradicate the root cause (usually upbringing / abuse in childhood / deprivation of education etc) BUT we need to get these people off the streets and into homes.

And hey, it'll save money in the long term too!

The choice we are all talking about is between an individual giving to charities or giving directly to the homeless, not between the state or individuals giving directly to the homeless Vs the state doing everything else.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

This argument always gets brought up constantly in comments on articles/fb and it ignores that the aim is to have the entirety of it be free. But the rationale for starting with the first year (as I understand it) is that the incentive should be for people to try to upskill/train/retrain in the first place, and to prevent people heading down the NEET track because they're worried about being saddled with a big loan if they drop out.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Time for our annual reminder that Tony Veitch is a piece of poo poo. But somehow he keeps getting public facing work.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

Time for our annual reminder that Tony Veitch is a piece of poo poo. But somehow he keeps getting public facing work.

Sky TV are desperately trying to backpedal after copping it from all sides.

https://twitter.com/SKYNZ/status/933169920774258688

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Vagabundo posted:

Sky TV are desperately trying to backpedal after copping it from all sides.

https://twitter.com/SKYNZ/status/933169920774258688

I can't believe someone literally gets paid to write these garbage patronizing tweets.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Also gently caress the internet for making me use the word "tweet" seriously in a sentence not about birds.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Welcome to 2007

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wandle Cax posted:

Welcome to 2007

2007 was a good year though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lol guys can you believe this new thing called Twitter and they actually call them "tweets"?!?! How ridiculous, it'll never catch on

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Ten years later and it's now a platform for the most powerful man in the world to fling his lovely opinions at poor people.

So basically it ended up like every other form of media and nothing really changed.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Luckily Trump is not the only person to use twitter. if you actually used it you would see a wide range of opinions, some even good, being expressed. Many of them terrible but it's far from just a trump vehicle. In fact it's mostly the mainstream media reporting his tweets that gets them, and other bad tweets attention

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

So what if they're spending it on alcohol or drugs? What the hell were you going to spend it on?

idk. I work on the front lines with drug dependent individuals. its not cool or fun. regardless..

it burns me out. watching people just do gently caress all with their existence, use the system to the extremes.. and .. I just don't know what to think. perhaps I just don't see some kind of sancitity of human life and think every human life is worth doing everything for. how much do we drag all of society down for the existence of a few?

like antibiotic resistance. we need to accept that we might need to lose some people to death and not treat them to save antibiotics for people whose lives it might really turn around

not everyone will agree with that concept. some might think it's worthwhile burning up all our antibiotic ability on each and every case they might be helpful. but this bodes poorly for the future. which side of this fence do you sit on? are some human lives worth it for the future masses?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't believe that shaving fractions of pennies off people's paycheques for social spending to address those needs drags society down more than having drug dependent individuals unable to find help, shelter, or any kind of lever with which to pry back their lives from addiction. Rather, I have the idealistic belief that drug dependency could be addressed better not by restricting access to the ambulances at the bottom of the cliff only for those subjectively deemed worth something with the excuse of fiscal responsibility, but rather by improving everyone's lives to the degree that people feel they are worth enough not to step off the cliff.

This has nothing to do with the sanctity of human life but, to extend your analogy, the best cure is prevention.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

idk. I work on the front lines with drug dependent individuals. its not cool or fun. regardless..

it burns me out. watching people just do gently caress all with their existence, use the system to the extremes.. and .. I just don't know what to think. perhaps I just don't see some kind of sancitity of human life and think every human life is worth doing everything for. how much do we drag all of society down for the existence of a few?

Don't let your overexposure to these people taint your view of all beneficiaries. NZ for sure has a drug problem but it's costs aren't "dragging all of society down". And I say this as someone who knows that 3 of my 7 cousins spend the bulk of their dole cheque each week on meth and cigarettes (and another one whose partner spends it on booze and weed).

The answer certainly isn't to say "gently caress these people for not making use of the support they're given".

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

echinopsis posted:

like antibiotic resistance. we need to accept that we might need to lose some people to death and not treat them to save antibiotics for people whose lives it might really turn around

not everyone will agree with that concept. some might think it's worthwhile burning up all our antibiotic ability on each and every case they might be helpful. but this bodes poorly for the future. which side of this fence do you sit on? are some human lives worth it for the future masses?

You have this is totally backwards. We are facing an antibiotic crisis because of a number of factors the primary two being unnecessary over-prescription of first line antibiotics, often for things that are not even antibiotic treatable (nobody is going to die from cutting this out) as well as people not complying with proper treatment courses and the other being the vast usage of antibiotics in the meat industry so they can keep their animals in inhumane and unsanitary conditions.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

bike tory posted:

But the rationale for starting with the first year (as I understand it) is that the incentive should be for people to try to upskill/train/retrain in the first place, and to prevent people heading down the NEET track because they're worried about being saddled with a big loan if they drop out.

As I understand it, the proposed system is a write-off after completion of the course, and you have to pass more than half the points in a given year to be eligible, so it's entirely possible to have to front the cost if you drop out.

It's still a good system, and I say this as someone who everyone would (seemingly, based on Facebook) expect to be salty about it since I went bachelors-masters-PhD with full cost apart from a PhD scholarship, and now live overseas with a near six-figure loan balance.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He/she isn't talking about antibiotics, its about abandoning people.

The medical field or any toxic environment 110% saps you since you are always seeing people at their worse and empathy is a renewing but limited resource. If you have ever went "gently caress it I am done with these people and their dumb poo poo, I am not going to help them anymore" you have run out of empathy. You lost faith in those people whether it is a large group or a single person.

I am feeling that right now.

I am done playing fire fighter with people playing with matches all the time.

I am done taking responsibility because a decision needed to be made only to get purposefully cut down for it right or wrong.

I am done with the power plays, getting stabbed in the back and politics.

I am done with the disgusting opinions and the absurd sense of entitlement.

I am done getting yelled at for offering a solution to a problem and tone policed because I dare to sometimes say thank you after something has been done or acknowledged or not appending please to literally anything I ask like some beggar.

I am done jumping front of the bullet for other peoples mistakes because I cared about that person.

I am done being marginalised and disrespected for the work I have done for years, experience accumulated and was promoted for as a reward for.

I am done having to repeat myself and chase people for information or actions both tiny and large.

I am done having to be the person who has to say no because the idea is dumb, has been done and doesn't work or needs more thought or the question as to you should isn't asked.

I am done with you sucking the joy and love I had doing for everyone's benefit.

I am done putting on a smile.

I am tired, I am done being a good person. I only hope I have not hurt the people I still care about.

gently caress it I am out.

That is the depth of despair you can feel when you run out especially if you really cared. It is not pleasant and you will feel bad for having to save yourself. You are abandoning people. It's poo poo and it can produce absolutely terrible view points which you know other people will lambaste you for.

You are better off dropping the mic and just watch it burn or numb yourself silly. Maybe in time you can come back.

Until then, be that lovely selfish person, cry, yell, write a wall of text on a dead gay forum, whatever because you need to get it out of you so maybe you can get better and regain your faith in that part of humanity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've been like this for my whole adult life and I've got nothing to do with medicine, people are actually just pieces of poo poo for real and it's just a matter of tricking your brain otherwise. Like a neurological boy who cried wolf!

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

People are loving terrible, and we should still do everything we can to help those in need.

This is the same hot take as "we should use prisons to rehabilitate people, instead of as purely punitive"

Like, caring about your fellow human (as useless and horrible as they may or may not be) is at least 45% for you, not them.

Unironically in my eyes the person with means who refuses to help those in need is a much worse person that the one who uses their state-supplied benefits to get drunk and/or high.

I guess what I'm saying is: eat the rich?

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 22, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's interesting, I can't decide if it's a side effect of getting old and aware or of it's a sign of the times but every conversation I have with friends IRL about this kind of stuff pretty much always boils down to eat the rich even if we disagree about the details. Like literally everyone besides the truly deluded wants to bring down the wealthy.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
at what salary band do the executions begin?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

BloodRed posted:

i think it depends on whether you're a renter, homeowner or a stupid peace of poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BloodRed posted:

The rich who own you don't have anything as plebian as a salary dude.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

BloodRed posted:

Executions are not for wage-slave salarymen unless they are collaborators.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

BloodRed posted:

This might be too nuanced for you, but I don't mean literally eat the rich.

Also true re: salaries.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

shoot then mulch the rich, and give the gore to the poor people as fertilizer because we know noone in a position to effect change will want to do anything beyond suggest poors grow a vegetable garden in their statehouse once a new batch of bourgeois overlords inherits the assets of the dead

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You're an optimist if you think people will be encouraged to grow vegetable gardens at their state home over people being evicted after the neighbours reported them to council due to believing that the house looking like it was owned by a poor was affecting their property values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

not to mention that social housing (not to mention flatting) can be unstable and any investment they make into planning, planting and maintaining a garden, assuming they have the time skill and knowledge to do so, will amount to sweet gently caress all when they have to move out because their ma died and it's a 3 bedroom house they don't deserve any more

but thats cool, we should deffo keep telling them to starve for several months, their tomato crop will be coming in any day

• Locked thread