Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My load temps for core and VRMs are around 55C with the top of the Core V1 open. Closed, it goes up to a stupid 80c and my 4790k’s hits 65c too. These are within operating specs just fine, but with recent video cards dynamically adjusting based upon temps this is going to artificially limit performance. Ironically, if the card was fully air cooled there would be bigger fans on the card itself and wouldn’t be emitting heat out into the radiator, so I may get worse performance indirectly by having water cooling for this card just because of case logistics.

Might have to give up the SFF dream and use the Enthoo Mini XL to combine my NAS and gaming desktops into one chassis because it’s annoying packing and unloading 2 important machines every time I move :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

I'm running an open cooler 1080 Ti in the Nano S, it's workable but I wouldn't recommend it as the case doesn't quite have enough airflow. I really wish the top of the case had a dust filter.
So this brings up a good question I've been pondering. My Strix 1080 has me getting cold feet on an ITX build (I cancelled my M1 order from a few weeks ago). Anyone have any opinions on this question: what is the smallest, quietest case that will handle an open-air 1080?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I thought the m1 had a dual chamber layout?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

necrobobsledder posted:

My load temps for core and VRMs are around 55C with the top of the Core V1 open. Closed, it goes up to a stupid 80c and my 4790k’s hits 65c too. These are within operating specs just fine, but with recent video cards dynamically adjusting based upon temps this is going to artificially limit performance. Ironically, if the card was fully air cooled there would be bigger fans on the card itself and wouldn’t be emitting heat out into the radiator, so I may get worse performance indirectly by having water cooling for this card just because of case logistics.

Might have to give up the SFF dream and use the Enthoo Mini XL to combine my NAS and gaming desktops into one chassis because it’s annoying packing and unloading 2 important machines every time I move :smith:

I feel like that's a lot of heat to deal with in one place. Probably not a huge deal in the winter, but it does make air conditioning that much worse.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Yeah, seeing my 1080 Ti emit enough heat that the system cooling capacity of my Core V1 is overwhelmed makes me think some things just aren’t possible without moving some elements outside the chassis itself. So at the moment if I want to do anything SFF with that card I’m looking for a case where I can mount my radiator outside the case itself for air rather than inside, and most cases in the market segment just aren’t going to put up with that kind of tomfoolery.

The Silverstone RVZ02/ML08 handles this well. The totally separate chamber for the graphics card exhaust is super helpful, especially if you mod it to take 3x 80mm fans above the chamber as well. I did, and my 1080@~2100MHZ stays right around 70* during Unigen Heaven, and my I5 7600k@4.7GHZ tops out at 85* during Prime95. If one were to throw an AIO into the mix, it'd hit 5.0GHZ@75*C or lower, I'm sure.

dy. posted:

So this brings up a good question I've been pondering. My Strix 1080 has me getting cold feet on an ITX build (I cancelled my M1 order from a few weeks ago). Anyone have any opinions on this question: what is the smallest, quietest case that will handle an open-air 1080?

See above. Mod a Silverstone RVZ02/ML08 to take extra fans for it.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 28, 2017

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I got my new i5-8600k PC put together in a Nano S. Using a Zotac Mini 1080 with an open cooler and it seems to be staying in a reasonable temperature range when gaming. I'll have to check it again later when I'm playing but so far nothing seems to be overheating or throttling even just using air cooling. I'll probably upgrade my CPU cooler to an AIO of some sort though, because I have the room and the Noctua L12s I have is a beast of a cooler. It covers a significant portion of the motherboard and makes plugging anything into the motherboard, including RAM a nightmare. Keeps the CPU cool though.

I'm also regretting not getting a motherboard and case that support the new USB 3.1 header because connecting the 3.0 cable to the mobo was a pain with the heatsink in the way. Ended up bending a couple pins because I couldn't get it to line up straight at first. Managed not to break any though and got it to connect eventually.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The Dreamer posted:

I got my new i5-8600k PC put together in a Nano S. Using a Zotac Mini 1080 with an open cooler and it seems to be staying in a reasonable temperature range when gaming. I'll have to check it again later when I'm playing but so far nothing seems to be overheating or throttling even just using air cooling. I'll probably upgrade my CPU cooler to an AIO of some sort though, because I have the room and the Noctua L12s I have is a beast of a cooler. It covers a significant portion of the motherboard and makes plugging anything into the motherboard, including RAM a nightmare. Keeps the CPU cool though.

I'm also regretting not getting a motherboard and case that support the new USB 3.1 header because connecting the 3.0 cable to the mobo was a pain with the heatsink in the way. Ended up bending a couple pins because I couldn't get it to line up straight at first. Managed not to break any though and got it to connect eventually.

The front USB 3.0 cables are stupid thick and annoying to work with. I had the mistake of getting a gigabyte itx mobo for my hackintosh build and the front USB 3.0 header was right next to the heatsink in the middle of the mobo. I made sure the next itx mobo I bought that the USB 3.0 header was on the outer edges of the mobo. That was the only way I could fit the NH-D15 while still having the front ports.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
yo people wanting high airflow and SFF are being moronic. you get one or the other, it's basically not possible without screaming fans

the compromise of SFF is that you sit on the optimal point of perf/watt instead of OC'ing 100 watts to get 3 more fps b/c it allows you to stuff that 1080Ti Founder's into a weenie case and not having it throttle at stock

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
With my current setup in the Nano S airflow is actually pretty decent. CPU fan vents directly up and towards the back and is right in line with the front and back panel chassis fans. I have an SFX PSU that's mostly self contained and the GPU is staying in a good range even venting into the case. Might help that there's room for the coming from the GPU to pass around the SFX PSU. Temp sensors are mostly sitting around the high 50s to low 70s under gaming load.

Tempting to do a custom water cooling loop in the system since I have the room, but it doesn't seem worth the extra expense when the temps are doing decent. Not really planning on doing any major OC'ing either.

The Dreamer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 28, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

M1 with 90° mobo rotation for best airflow practices. :colbert:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I should clarify that the Nano S and open cooler 1080 Ti works fine as long as you don't increase the power limit over 100%, it gets a bit toasty but stays under 80C with a reasonable fan curve. I don't have an SFX PSU either so if you have one of those you'd probably get a better result due to the limited clearance.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There is always the option of buying a bigger GPU and setting a power limit to underclock it - this will improve your efficiency at a given level of performance. Taking a 1080 and setting a 60% limit gets you like 1070 performance at 1060 power consumption.

(obviously there is nothing faster than a 1080 Ti, unless you want to buy a Titan Xp)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 29, 2017

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

yo people wanting high airflow and SFF are being moronic. you get one or the other, it's basically not possible without screaming fans

the compromise of SFF is that you sit on the optimal point of perf/watt instead of OC'ing 100 watts to get 3 more fps b/c it allows you to stuff that 1080Ti Founder's into a weenie case and not having it throttle at stock

A given (Nvidia, at least) card will scale its speed/draw to the load its working on, though. If my 1080 SC2 isn't being pushed to the absolute limit, my fans don't scream. If I had a FE cooler, I'd have less thermal headroom, so it'd get louder sooner. 5 fans move more air than 1 does, so my system is much quieter than it would be with a FE card.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

There is always the option of buying a bigger GPU and setting a power limit to underclock it - this will improve your efficiency at a given level of performance. Taking a 1080 and setting a 60% limit gets you like 1070 performance at 1060 power consumption.

(obviously doesn't apply to a 1080 Ti, unless you want to buy a Titan Xp)

I just tried my 1080 Ti at 60% out of curiosity and it still beats a stock 1080, I might use that as my gaming setting as it's very quiet and still enough FPS considering I'm running 1440p.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ughhhh posted:

I thought the m1 had a dual chamber layout?

i owned one. it doesn't. no room

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I should clarify that the Nano S and open cooler 1080 Ti works fine as long as you don't increase the power limit over 100%, it gets a bit toasty but stays under 80C with a reasonable fan curve. I don't have an SFX PSU either so if you have one of those you'd probably get a better result due to the limited clearance.

yeah i ran an overclocked open cooler 1070 in mine and didn't really encounter any temp issues. motherboard died within a year though, which i suspect was due to only having one intake fan and consequently very little airflow over it. sold the rest of the parts and bought a mac mini. can't play any games from this decade but i needed to catch up on my reading anyway

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 29, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I encountered a small snag with the Gigabyte GA-H270-Wifi and its rear mounted M2 slot in the Nano S.

Let's hope it doesn't need replacing during the lifetime of the motherboard. :v:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

I encountered a small snag with the Gigabyte GA-H270-Wifi and its rear mounted M2 slot in the Nano S.

Let's hope it doesn't need replacing during the lifetime of the motherboard. :v:

Just Dremel the case. Seems like the appropriate solution.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Turns out NZXT's CAM software or whatever is just expensive garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZT5-3FReO0

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It's pretty easy to slide in. I've done it before

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

It's pretty easy to slide in. I've done it before

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I have that motherboard in an In-Win IW-MS04 (which is a fantastic tiny ITX NAS case that is not THAT much bigger than a 4-bay Synology with a decent PSU, although it can benefit from replacing the case and PSU fans) and this case just has the motherboard stuck on a sheet metal tray with no access at all to the bottom, so it could be worse. Although, it does make taking the entire motherboard out toolessly really easy except for access to the bottom.

Although this has me now thinking about taking that tray and cutting an access rectangle into it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I have that motherboard in an In-Win IW-MS04

just googled this and it looks so exactly like an hp microserver gen8 that it's almost suspicious. might pick one of these up if i want to supercharge my nas situation

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I got directed here from the PC parts thread since I asked about mini-ITX cases. I'm looking at upgrading my gaming rig and am thinking about replacing my full ATX tower with something much smaller. I really like the look of this case and PCPartPicker says this all fits together, but most mini-ITX cases are advertised for water cooling setups, which I really don't want to deal with. Would this all work with air cooling? Coming from a full tower I've never really had to think about heat too much.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory ($199.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($435.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 4GB K|NGP|N ACX 2.0+ Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1332.82

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

I got directed here from the PC parts thread since I asked about mini-ITX cases. I'm looking at upgrading my gaming rig and am thinking about replacing my full ATX tower with something much smaller. I really like the look of this case and PCPartPicker says this all fits together, but most mini-ITX cases are advertised for water cooling setups, which I really don't want to deal with. Would this all work with air cooling? Coming from a full tower I've never really had to think about heat too much.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory ($199.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($435.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 4GB K|NGP|N ACX 2.0+ Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1332.82

That case is designed for water cooling, the bottom chamber is made to hold a PSU and your radiators with space for air to pass through. That said, if you're really in love with it, it can take a cooler up to 82mm tall. Which means the stock heatsink will work, or you can find any face up coolers with up to 82mm clearance. But you could also just pick up one of these 120mm AIO coolers coming up for BF for dirt cheap as well, I promise they're not scary. In either case, you should be fine as long as you have some other fans in that case.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

VulgarandStupid posted:

That case is designed for water cooling, the bottom chamber is made to hold a PSU and your radiators with space for air to pass through. That said, if you're really in love with it, it can take a cooler up to 82mm tall. Which means the stock heatsink will work, or you can find any face up coolers with up to 82mm clearance. But you could also just pick up one of these 120mm AIO coolers coming up for BF for dirt cheap as well, I promise they're not scary. In either case, you should be fine as long as you have some other fans in that case.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the lingo here - I've gathered AIO is all-in-one, which seems to be water cooling for just the CPU. BF means what? I have at least one spare 120mm case fan lying around.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the lingo here - I've gathered AIO is all-in-one, which seems to be water cooling for just the CPU. BF means what? I have at least one spare 120mm case fan lying around.

Black Friday, the shopping holiday right around the corner.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Clanpot Shake posted:

Using an aio is easier than a beefy air cooler. Easier to install, no more upkeep than said air cooler. You don't have to bother with any of the custom loop stuff, it's all put together and sealed for you and it just works.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Black Friday, the shopping holiday right around the corner.
I know things

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Using an aio is easier than a beefy air cooler. Easier to install, no more upkeep than said air cooler. You don't have to bother with any of the custom loop stuff, it's all put together and sealed for you and it just works.
Yeah I just watched a thing on youtube about them that made them a lot less scary (my impressions of water cooling are 10-15 years out of date, turns out). Thanks guys.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Clanpot Shake posted:

I know things

Yeah I just watched a thing on youtube about them that made them a lot less scary (my impressions of water cooling are 10-15 years out of date, turns out). Thanks guys.

Check out NewEgg for "Corsair Hydro Refurb": https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=corsair+hydro+refurb&N=-1&isNodeId=1

They are refurbished AIO coolers and I find them to be more reliable than the "new" coolers which usually have air bubbles in the system from sitting on the shelf for years. Plus these are a great price.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

They are refurbished AIO coolers and I find them to be more reliable than the "new" coolers which usually have air bubbles in the system from sitting on the shelf for years. Plus these are a great price.

This is a good idea. I got one a few weeks back that was NIB and also completely empty! :eng99:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I got an aio a couple years ago 'refurb'ed from amazon, but I had to return it for some reason. I forgot what, and amazon doesn't save reasons. I want to say it was missing a fan or somrthing else?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I got an aio a couple years ago 'refurb'ed from amazon, but I had to return it for some reason. I forgot what, and amazon doesn't save reasons. I want to say it was missing a fan or somrthing else?

Yeah I think that's like "some dude in a basement refurbed it" as opposed to the NewEgg refurbs that are direct from Corsair, they have their own SKU and everything.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

NFC redesigned the S4 Mini to bring the price down and make it a little roomier inside as well as a few other improvements. Check it out, pre-orders open soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOQOkA_4tg

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Any changes making a case "roomier" is objectively bad.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Well it's the same size externally, he got rid of the wrap around bezel. It's 0.4 litres bigger.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I guess you didn't watch the video

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://youtu.be/aUrhcovJZss

This thing is basically an Dan Case A4,but expandable to hold a 240mm AIO. Very cool but very expensive.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
that's exactly what i've been looking for. Pity i have zero monies

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I kinda want to try one of those with a small tophat and two 16mm fans pushing air through the case from the bottom. But I don't want to try it $300 bad.

EDIT: Can anyone ID the CPU heatsink here:
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/01...e91136410857bde

Now I'm pondering this: I've got got a 1080 GTX with a Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II. If the specs I've found are correct I could fit my GPU assembly if I pull the fan shroud off the Twin Turbo. If I used the "passive" CPU cooler pictured, I could cool the whole thing with two fans assuming they can generate enough static pressure. Use some black paper to cover the side vents on the inside for an increased wind tunnel type of effect. Put a tophat on both top and bottom for even more air, and it's still a good bit smaller than an Ncase M1 v5.

Size comparison:
http://socialcompare.com/en/widget/...x-stop-44x5o1h1

So basically a trash can Mac Pro. :v:

EDIT 2: Looks like it's a NH-L12S, which is list at 70mm where as the case is limited to 66. :(

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Has there been any improvement in m2 wifi cards since intels 7265 in 2014, or are sff builds condemned to second class wifi forever more?