Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

jng2058 posted:

What's creepy is that Phos actually does it!

Of couse, Phos being Phos, she nearly does it on purpose then changes her mind and does it accidentally instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Of couse, Phos being Phos, she nearly does it on purpose then changes her mind and does it accidentally instead

Yep. Pho's player is definitely the one who said "Bad Luck Flaw? How tough can THAT be?"

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Qwertycoatl posted:

I love the escalating wrongness in the ice floe stuff.

The ice forms weird shapes....
which are called sinners for some reason...
and they get cut up to stop them from screaming....
and the screams are actual words....
Every single part of this made me trust Sensei less and less. Destroying possibly-sentient beings because they're inconvenient isn't exactly hero behaviour.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
But Sensei was amenable to an alliance with the slug king/sea people.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it didn't sound like Sensei thought they were sentient

Sensei told Phos to calm his heart because the floes were reflecting the uncertainty/fears he had, and all the arm stuff follows directly from Antarc saying how great it would be if Phos had arms to match his legs. Phos is kind of an unreliable narrator there since the ice may or may not have been giving him directions vs just reflecting & amplifying thoughts he already had.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Sensei seems on the up and up to me.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Sensei generously doles out the head pats to their rock children and I will destroy anyone who slanders them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to hug sensei

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:same:

also all the rock people, and the jellyfish people

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/usaki1987/status/932054900120285185

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Should be hugging Cinnabar, because they need it most.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

a kitten posted:

I have a guess about Phos' arms but I'm worried I might be right and don't want to spoil anyone.

aaaaaaaaa why isn't it Saturday

what would happen if two gem types were combined together

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Futaba Anzu posted:

what would happen if two gem types were combined together

I think there was a line about problems with differing hardness and how they didn't expect the new legs to work.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I wear dresses and heels and I haven't turned into a girl yet but I'll let you know if it happens lol.

I don't arbitrarily change character pronouns because I'm not BoomBoomBoom but if I was I'd he/him most the characters, phos and the poison one especially, because they come off way more as touken ranbu style bishi than girl.

Oh I was totally wrong for doubting the cg in this I'm loving it so far.

Suck my anus.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Wait lmao they wear the same outifts

Sorry everybody, this means all the gems are men.

Yes, even when they wear dresses

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've got art of that

https://twitter.com/kusai3/status/931892643801399297

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

you're being way more annoying over it than the people who misgender rock people tbqh

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

especially when the source material doesn't ostensibly deal much with portraying issues of LGBT it makes you look like a huge rear end in a top hat just bitching constantly over it.

fake edit: in response to anyone stupid enough to reply back telling me no you're wrong they're obviously genderless so it's obviously 100% an LGBT issue, no it isn't. Just because they're genderless doesn't mean anything, the role it plays in the story is purely on a broader question of what constitutes humanity, not any issues over he she it them whatever. Let people gender them however way they want as long as they understand the greater underlying plot of the show.

unless something happens later in the manga that brings this specific issue up to a prevalent level, it's foolish to constantly attack people for calling the gems female when they're voiced by women and are in general way more feminine in terms of both physical appearance and mannerisms.

cit: im gay

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Everything Burrito posted:

it didn't sound like Sensei thought they were sentient

Sensei told Phos to calm his heart because the floes were reflecting the uncertainty/fears he had, and all the arm stuff follows directly from Antarc saying how great it would be if Phos had arms to match his legs. Phos is kind of an unreliable narrator there since the ice may or may not have been giving him directions vs just reflecting & amplifying thoughts he already had.

Yeah, I find it interesting in that it seems to be in part a very disturbing way of informing the viewer of Phos having thoughts of self-harm. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, I find it interesting in that it seems to be in part a very disturbing way of informing the viewer of Phos having thoughts of self-harm. :smith:

I think Phos also does not really see the scale of the downside of losing parts of their body and memories along with them because it's hard to put value to memories you don't have anymore. Phos is so focused on trying to be useful that they assign too much value to their fast new legs, and little value to the memories they lost. I could see a very sad outcome where Phos eventually loses things like their memories of and feelings for Cinnabar, Sensei and the others. :smith:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Phos may become something useful, but will that thing still be Phos?

If Phos forgets about Cinnibar I will be deeply sad. I guess I'm a sucker for that kind of melodrama.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I do feel like the narrative is moving towards that, Phos is focused on improving herself that she may lose focus of why she wanted to be strong

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah it's not often you see a character become conflicted over whether it's a good idea to Ship of Theseus themselves.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Eela6 posted:

Phos may become something useful, but will that thing still be Phos?

Absolutely not. Phos is useless, ergo anything useful is not Phos.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Yeah it's not often you see a character become conflicted over whether it's a good idea to Ship of Theseus themselves.

Best case you become an ultimate being while retaining your individuality, worst case you become an ultimate being with a gestalt consciousness, so I say yes, absolutely it's a good idea.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I wondered if they could just break off Phos' legs and arms, then re-powder and remix so they ended up with 50% of the agate in legs and 50% in arms.
They'd still be fast, just not super crazy fast, and then their arms would be strong enough to match.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

especially when the source material doesn't ostensibly deal much with portraying issues of LGBT it makes you look like a huge rear end in a top hat just bitching constantly over it.

fake edit: in response to anyone stupid enough to reply back telling me no you're wrong they're obviously genderless so it's obviously 100% an LGBT issue, no it isn't. Just because they're genderless doesn't mean anything, the role it plays in the story is purely on a broader question of what constitutes humanity, not any issues over he she it them whatever. Let people gender them however way they want as long as they understand the greater underlying plot of the show.

unless something happens later in the manga that brings this specific issue up to a prevalent level, it's foolish to constantly attack people for calling the gems female when they're voiced by women and are in general way more feminine in terms of both physical appearance and mannerisms.

Okay, so the show doesn't explicitly deal with queer issues. Fine.

But it is one of a very small number of media which focus on explicitly non-binary characters. There's no good justification for assigning genders to the gems when all the media very carefully avoids doing so; so doing it makes it seem as though one is uncomfortable with the idea of people who aren't men or women. (I mean, they're voiced by women? So's Bart Simpson!)
It's emotionally important to people to see themselves represented in media and when you talk about one of the few pieces of media which represents them in a manner which paints over that representation, it's going to piss people off.

There's room for a whooole huge discussion about how reasonable it is for people to be pissed off by that, and for how much it means to people to see that sort of representation of themselves in media and all that jazz, but that's a gigantic :canofworms: that I don't want to open. But I think it's worth considering that while yes, constantly bitching about it is annoying, it would also be incredibly easy for people to just write "they" exactly as they do in the show and the books, and when they deliberately choose not to do that, that also seems pretty assholish.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 22, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

I don't give a poo poo about any of that it's just bizarre to me to insist that this one part of the canon isn't real. Also a bunch of them are hot anime guys hello.

e: like all of them except the uhhhh, diamond? so far and maybe the two that fight the lunarians in the first ep. i'll report back on the genderiness of newer genderless rock people as i go though

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 22, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DisDisDis posted:

Wait lmao they wear the same outifts

Sorry everybody, this means all the gems are men.

Yes, even when they wear dresses

Kinda surprised you’re into that compared to ur avatar

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

boredsatellite posted:

I do feel like the narrative is moving towards that, Phos is focused on improving herself that she may lose focus of why she wanted to be strong

So a metaphor for sacrificing your values for personal advancement.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/angeban93/status/933141059827261440

Freezeframe. Laugh track.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda surprised you’re into that compared to ur avatar

I love femme gays I just wanna gently caress masc gays more, probably

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The_White_Crane posted:

Okay, so the show doesn't explicitly deal with queer issues. Fine.

But it is one of a very small number of media which focus on explicitly non-binary characters. There's no good justification for assigning genders to the gems when all the media very carefully avoids doing so; so doing it makes it seem as though one is uncomfortable with the idea of people who aren't men or women. (I mean, they're voiced by women? So's Bart Simpson!)
It's emotionally important to people to see themselves represented in media and when you talk about one of the few pieces of media which represents them in a manner which paints over that representation, it's going to piss people off.

There's room for a whooole huge discussion about how reasonable it is for people to be pissed off by that, and for how much it means to people to see that sort of representation of themselves in media and all that jazz, but that's a gigantic :canofworms: that I don't want to open. But I think it's worth considering that while yes, constantly bitching about it is annoying, it would also be incredibly easy for people to just write "they" exactly as they do in the show and the books, and when they deliberately choose not to do that, that also seems pretty assholish.

Going back to my original reply I'd like to rescind how assholish it sounded to completely dismiss that facet of the argument. To be honest it was more in response to how obnoxious dis was in how they were responding to other people and it reminded me too much of when I'd try attending LGBT groups in real life and seeing extremists completely shutting down anything positive said about heterosexual people like friends and family.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oh my god stop

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
All heterosexuals are Ronald Reagan and all gems have no gender.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

The_White_Crane posted:

Are you a mineral person?

PS: the Japanese language does not handle pronouns like English does. The author is going to no great lengths at all to make them genderless. Comparing languages this way is kinda silly, and your arguments on it are just a reflection of your own attachment to minerals who don't care about LGBT issues at all.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

Going back to my original reply I'd like to rescind how assholish it sounded to completely dismiss that facet of the argument. To be honest it was more in response to how obnoxious dis was in how they were responding to other people and it reminded me too much of when I'd try attending LGBT groups in real life and seeing extremists completely shutting down anything positive said about heterosexual people like friends and family.

Fair enough. Believe me, I also dislike the weirdly militant "progressive" types (for gently caress's sake, you're not helping you're not the loving black panthers just shut up), but I do think there's a perfectly legitimate point to be made about how it looks when people deliberately remove from discourse an aspect of some media which is, if not explicitly about queer people, distinctly important to queer people.
Or some queer people, anyway, not a monolithic entity et cetera.

Sarcophallus posted:

Are you a mineral person?

PS: the Japanese language does not handle pronouns like English does. The author is going to no great lengths at all to make them genderless. Comparing languages this way is kinda silly, and your arguments on it are just a reflection of your own attachment to minerals who don't care about LGBT issues at all.

Yes, thanks, I'm aware Japanese does not handle pronouns like English does.
However, most works translated from Japanese sub in appropriate male/female pronouns and don't explicitly avoid them in favour of using "they", so I'm not sure what your point is.
Also, yes, the minerals don't care about LGBT issues on account of how they're fictional characters. They also don't care what pronouns people use for them, because again, fictional characters. But it's extremely obvious from the amount of (tedious) discourse on the subject that the topic is (yes, probably disproportionately) important to some LGBT people who are not fictional characters, and insisting on using gendered pronouns for characters that the author :siren:the official translations:siren: explicitly avoid gendering is obviously going to upset those people.

You can make all the arguments you want about how unimportant it is and how those people are getting too upset, and hey, I even agree with you, which is why I wasn't kvetching about this for the last several pages until Disdisdis reopened the topic, but if it's so unimportant, then why are people so insistent on projecting their interpretation of gender onto the characters over the one preferred in the media itself?

Could it be that the issue is *gasp* also disproportionately important to those people too!?

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 22, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We have a 100% serviceable, gender-neutral pronoun in the English language.

It's "they". They stuck their arms in the ocean because the floes told them too.

Simple!

Though this at this point is a giant dead horse that's turning into dust from being beaten so much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I feel like the author actually is going to some lengths to make them androgynous, because their normal outfits all borrow menswear influences and the designs are even less feminine in the manga. there are also gems like antarc and several yet to appear that barely if at all register as feminine. choices like gems referring to each other as brothers or wearing frilly pajama dresses are there to show the gems have no attachment to gender as we know it. the existence of the things is definitely inviting thought on gendered presentation even if it's not a central theme of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

The_White_Crane posted:

You can make all the arguments you want about how unimportant it is and how those people are getting too upset, and hey, I even agree with you, which is why I wasn't kvetching about this for the last several pages until Disdisdis reopened the topic, but if it's so unimportant, then why are people so insistent on projecting their interpretation of gender onto the characters over the one preferred in the media itself?

Could it be that the issue is *gasp* also disproportionately important to those people too!?

I think we're on the same page, which is nice. I avoid talking about the specifics of the show here because I'm a dirty manga reader, so I don't want to pollute discussion for new folks with incidental spoilers or 'correcting' interpretations people are having; but this is absolutely one of my favorite series. I personally get frustrated that so much of the discussion around it is, frankly, hijacked by LGBT wish-fulfillment. It's a story with really strong themes around identity, personal value, and isolation - which in my view does a really great job being more than skin-deep on those topics. Phos' identity has absolutely nothing to do with how gay or genderless it may or may not be, and everything to do with the conflict between their contribution to gem-society and general incompetence. The author is literally playing out a Ship of Theseus on Phos and it's fascinating. Whether a person refers to Phos as 'he', 'she', or 'it' makes literally no difference to any of the themes of the story, but people get so hung up on it for reasons that I don't think make any sense. Gender has nothing at all to do with the series.

• Locked thread