Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Niton posted:

All cards are considered to have their English oracle name :eng101:

This is because translations are not 100% accurate, and occasionally you get things like Falkenrath Noble / Falkenrath Aristocrat having the same name, or Descend upon the Fishermen.

Silver bordered cards however, care about the piece of cardboard sat on your table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
That seems like an especially expensive Confiscate/Aethersnatch. I suppose there might be un-interactions that make it worth it for something to be in your hand?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
any card with a "if you cast it from your hand" condition on thier effects like it better then confiscate

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's also uncommon in a low power set.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
It works a lot better with auras and etbs, yeah.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So I moved to a new town to commute to work and have been going to the FLGS around the corner from where I live vs. the one near where I work.

To maximize my chances of getting a FTV:Xform, I was going to play there Friday, since they have a "raffle the opportunity to buy it at an FNM" thing going.

I stopped in over my lunch yesterday and sounds like it's gonna be kind of an odd format: A release for the Explorers board game. As she described it, ten bucks entry, each pod plays the game, the winner wins the game.

Do you think it would be crass if I proposed at my table "look, we're all here to play Magic, and whoever wins this game none of us has played is probably just gonna break up the decks into singles anyway, right? Gentleman's agreement that we each just keep our deck and do whatever with the little chits and stuff, if it's not unanimous we go with winner-take-all and no hard feelings?"

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

So I moved to a new town to commute to work and have been going to the FLGS around the corner from where I live vs. the one near where I work.

To maximize my chances of getting a FTV:Xform, I was going to play there Friday, since they have a "raffle the opportunity to buy it at an FNM" thing going.

I stopped in over my lunch yesterday and sounds like it's gonna be kind of an odd format: A release for the Explorers board game. As she described it, ten bucks entry, each pod plays the game, the winner wins the game.

Do you think it would be crass if I proposed at my table "look, we're all here to play Magic, and whoever wins this game none of us has played is probably just gonna break up the decks into singles anyway, right? Gentleman's agreement that we each just keep our deck and do whatever with the little chits and stuff, if it's not unanimous we go with winner-take-all and no hard feelings?"

Yeah, that'd be pretty crass, I'd feel pretty poo poo about that, especially if I really wanted the boardgame and some other person is vocal, even if polite, about just wanting to divide up the cards.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, that'd be pretty crass, I'd feel pretty poo poo about that, especially if I really wanted the boardgame and some other person is vocal, even if polite, about just wanting to divide up the cards.

Cool. That's why I asked. I'm a risk-averse egalitarian "everyone have fun and get some kind of 'prize'" guy, so to me it would be in the spirit of draft night at least knowing you leave with your deck, but if it would make it weird I'll just keep that off the table.

And look into which of the four decks is strongest to try and make sure I'm in that seat to winner-take-all :v:

TwistedNails posted:

Just buy the game if you want it, you're going to make it awkward for everyone at your table.

I don't want the game, that's why I'd be fine with splitting the decks? I didn't think it would be that wild a proposal since I people shake on splitting the "game 3 winner gets 2 boosters" thing all the time in prereleases and stuff? :shrug: But yeah I asked here so I didn't make it weird for anyone in person, and Madmarker pointed out someone might be compelled to go along if it was 3 against 1 and they really wanted the game so whatever. So for me it's basically gonna be a $10 raffle ticket for the opportunity to buy FTV, and as a bonus if I play well enough at the hybrid MTG/board game thing I win that too. It's all good.

VVVV

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 22, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone seen any good black friday sales ads for mtg stuff? Last year CFB did some really good discounts on singles and their holiday bundles went over well. SCG is starting their sales at 11a.m. EST today.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/rosewattastone/status/933334299041988608

"Crewivating Crew" is up there with "Of Course Hazoret" and "Longtusk Sex" as top tier Rosewatta stone card titles.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 22, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Just buy the game if you want it, you're going to make it awkward for everyone at your table.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Did anyone transcribe the Unstable spoilers from the Limited Resources Podcast yet?

If yes, then I have duplicated their effort, if not... here they are:

Squirrel-Powered Scheme
2B
Enchantment
Increase the result of each die you roll by 2.

Snickering Squirrel
B
Creature-- Squirrel Advisor 1/1
You may tap Snickering Squirrel to increase the result of a die any player rolls by 1.

Wall of Fortune
1U
Artifact Creature- Wall 0/4
You may tap a wall you control to force target player to re-roll a single die.

E:
Is TCGplayer the best site to go to if you have a list of singles you need for a brew and just want to order them all with minimum expense and hassle?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 22, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is TCGplayer the best site to go to if you have a list of singles you need for a brew and just want to order them all with minimum expense and hassle?

yeah probably, its the cheapest. expect 10 packages if you order from like 10 different people though

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yep. Once you figure out the cart optimizer advanced settings its basically the best place to buy cheap cards.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Unstable FAQ (60 Pages!)
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/unstable-faqawaslfaqpaftidawabiajtbt-2017-11-22

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

white bordered cards redeemed

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

More release event tech: don't wear my contacts that day.

Little edges man.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

For the uninitiated

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the bunker looks fun

love the name hazmat suit (used)

edit: :siren: HOODS ARE NOT HATS :siren:

quote:

A hat is a garment worn on the head that's not part of another garment. Hoodies, for example, are not hats. Items that only cover the face and not the top of the head, such as a face mask, are also not hats.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 22, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I just spent $60 on twenty Unstable Islands. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

I just spent $60 on twenty Unstable Islands. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

Considering that will be halved the closer we get to release, who knows.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Full spoiler is up

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

I did the same thing years ago for a couple full sets of APAC/Euro lands. Cool lands are cool lands.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Unstable full spoiler has been posted

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/unstable

love that guy

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sickening posted:

Considering that will be halved the closer we get to release, who knows.

I somehow doubt that. I can see them dropping to $2 ea. at release, but $3 apiece on Miniature Market was the best preorder deal I could find.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

I somehow doubt that. I can see them dropping to $2 ea. at release, but $3 apiece on Miniature Market was the best preorder deal I could find.

Some are under 3 bucks already on tcg player even with the small number of pre-orders going on there. The tokens are going to take some edge off the price of the lands a little bit.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sickening posted:

Some are under 3 bucks already on tcg player even with the small number of pre-orders going on there. The tokens are going to take some edge off the price of the lands a little bit.

Maybe for the other lands, but not Islands.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this is a common

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

this is a common

A 5 cmc 2/1 with an ETB that deals ~4 damage to target creature seems... Fine? Weak until/unless augmented?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Unstable FAQ on X posted:

How exactly does this card work?

Want access to your opponent's cards? X gon' give it to ya, but you have to get X into that opponent's hand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

Maybe for the other lands, but not Islands.

Those are prices from a whopping 6 sellers.

From reddit

Reddit posted:

There's no way the full art lands maintain a price of over $2. Stores will just crack more packs and sell until prices drop.
Lets assume you get an average of one foil land per box worth about $15.
Tokens are in every pack but only half of them will be the double sided tokens with non-unstable creatures. Lets say these sell for an average of $1.50 each which I feel is a pretty conservative estimate. On average you'll get 18 of the useful tokens per box so that's another $27 worth of value.
Now the worst case scenario is that everything else in the set is worth nothing and sells for nothing. $42 of EV is already being absorbed by tokens and a foil land. If a store gets their box for $77-80 per box then there's only $35-38 left of value left for the remaining 35 lands. In other words, they should end up at about a buck apiece on average.

I don't think that is a very wild assessment.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

How does this interact with animate library?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sickening posted:

You said there were UNS Islands for under $3 on TCGPlayer. So I looked.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The set looks fun and good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sickening posted:

From reddit

I don't think that is a very wild assessment.

Unstable lands going for much more than $2.36 while Unstable is in print seems wildly irrational, like selling pre-scratched $1 winner tickets for a buck and a quarter in a lottery where every dollar scratch off is at least a dollar winner but could be more.

But hey, magic players.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Per the card text, you exile Animate Library instead.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Zark the Damned posted:

Per the card text, you exile Animate Library instead.

Dammit, well I guess I just target the enchantment and then animate my own library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

Boringly.