Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Permadeath has really come back big time in gaming in the last few years, and I couldn't be happier. Can you imagine a game like PUBG but with respawning? Doesn't sound interesting at all.
I mean, that's why i really like squads. it feels less bullshit because your mates can avenge you and sometimes even get you back up

or maybe clean swept by that one rear end in a top hat with a shotgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Snazzy Frocks posted:

what happens if you never leave the plane?

You die in a scripted event. You've never seen the plane wreckage in the north part of the island before?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hell yea, more machine guns. And probably one of my favorite guns visually, too -- check out that sweet pan mag!

Here's some other weird/cool guns I'd like to find on a picnic table:

TKB-059, a bizarre Russian prototype 7.62 battle rifle that fires from three barrels.
Taurus Judge, a Brazilian revolver capable of firing .410 shotgun shells.
PP-19 Bizon, a Russian SMG that uses a neat 64-round helical magazine.
ASh-12.7, another Russian bullpup that fires a subsonic .50 cal equivalent at short ranges.
Para-FAL, a smaller and cuter version of Belgium's right arm of the free world.

:guns:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it would be cool to find a smattering of utility things or something to make the pistol slot more useful, like smoke/incendiary launchers, magnum revolver that can take the 2x, poo poo like that

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

I think it would be cool to find a smattering of utility things or something to make the pistol slot more useful, like smoke/incendiary launchers, magnum revolver that can take the 2x, poo poo like that

Just give me dual-wield pistols and I'll be happy.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

An M79 grenade launcher would be neat

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

M2 Carbine. 7.62 (relatively) high damage and velocity SMG. 15 round magazine extendable to 30.

Or semi-only rifle with high movespeed, just calling it the M1.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like you guys underestimate the value of a silenced pistol for taking out someone who didn't notice you without alerting everyone nearby where you are and immediately getting shot at by everyone you didn't notice in earshot.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like you guys underestimate the value of a silenced pistol for taking out someone who didn't notice you without alerting everyone nearby where you are and immediately getting shot at by everyone you didn't notice in earshot.

Ehh, I think pistols have zero value after the immediate beginning of the game. I usually don't even pick one up if I find a shotgun/smg at the beginning. If I do have to pick up a pistol at the beginning, I drop it as soon as I find a shotgun/SMG. In a pinch I use it to carry a red dot without taking up inventory space.

Even if you have the jump on somebody, a pistol aint gonna do poo poo if they have armor on. If they are decent player they will whip around and load you up with AR bullets.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I saw a video that showed that you have the same runspeed with a pistol as you do with no gun out, so you're a little safer.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Snuck up on a dude and nailed him with the pan, he was fully decked out with an M416 and a Kar. Then I died to the circle like an idiot. That's all I've wanted out of this game.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

One thing pistols are good for that is easy to forget about is that they don't catch on walls/windows/furniture/etc as easily as full length weapons. There is a usage case for handguns from inside a building when you need to shoot out from a window at awkward angles at badguys besieging your compound.

They're still mostly early game weapons, tho. I think they're pretty good for that role, since most of your engagements are close up and with people who aren't wearing armor. That's what, 3-5 clicks on a guy?

Another fun application is to get a G18C with an extendy mag and dump all of the 9mm you don't need into cars and stuff while you're driving around with your buds. If you accidentally shoot your friend who's dancing around in the seat in front of you, don't worry -- it only does like 10 damage!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

fletcher posted:

Ehh, I think pistols have zero value after the immediate beginning of the game. I usually don't even pick one up if I find a shotgun/smg at the beginning. If I do have to pick up a pistol at the beginning, I drop it as soon as I find a shotgun/SMG. In a pinch I use it to carry a red dot without taking up inventory space.

Even if you have the jump on somebody, a pistol aint gonna do poo poo if they have armor on. If they are decent player they will whip around and load you up with AR bullets.

If you have a P18 with extended magazine and suppressor you could actually kill them with it before they react, but that’s a big if. Not worth working towards, although it is really fun indoors if you luck into it.

You’re also probably not getting that kill past 10 meters, even with a red dot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I am a fan of the .45 pistol myself.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Test Servers are currently pushing out an update.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone know what's being updated on the test server?

Edit: Much appreciated.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 22, 2017

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Jiro posted:

Anyone know what's being updated on the test server?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

new lobby music is awesome (which is all I can experience, but it is still great)

Tweak fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 22, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Soarer posted:

Figure I might as well post a video I made of a couple of funny clips. Excuse the breathing. I can't seem to figure out a position for my headset mic that doesn't pick it up.

https://youtu.be/ZKuK9DJNKaI

The position to use is 'push to talk'.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Guys, I'm clearly dumber than most. Second to last circle south of Georgopl. There's only a few houses in the circle and I sneak up on a dude and kill him inside of it. He thought he was being real stealthy but nope. What's hosed up about it the most is that he managed to wing me. So here I am, in this house that is absolutely untouched. I'm looting the guy I just killed for some medkits.

Another dude comes from the second floor and kills me with a loving frying pan while I'm looking through bastard #1's inventory. Finish 16 out of 99.

I now think a decent plan is to not grab everything you see, even if you might want it. If you already have the rifle, don't grab all the 556 that might spawn in a place. Don't grab all the shotgun shells. Drop random loot while standing directly over the item spawn spot.

This pro strat has been brought to you by Twitch TV. Did you get your boots yet? If not, why the gently caress not? You want them, they want them. Show them you're a bigger idiot than they are.

Buy Twitch Boots. Inflate the markets and sell.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Patch notes in English by the way, not sure if it was posted: https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1469725882177008623
Also pretty pictures

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I'm the two hitbox multipliers stacked on top of each other :psyduck:

I'm starting to think PU really hates SMGs. Also, I hope you like dealing slightly over 20dmg because the dude you sniped in the head was chugging an energy drink.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I am a fan of the .45 pistol myself.
1911 confirmed good.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IcyBloodyPhonePeteZarollTie

Le0 posted:

Patch notes in English by the way, not sure if it was posted: https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1469725882177008623
Also pretty pictures

I have no idea how they're gonna balance the DP28, is it going to be like a Tommy Gun-esque AK47 with no optics but sometimes insane ammo capacity? The AUG will probably just be an integral silencer, 5.56 version of the Groza.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

refreshed for about 20 minutes trying to get in so I could see what the kill cam looked like. Finally got in (after exiting and reloading since I forgot to turn it on), waited to die like an idiot, then got to see the kill cam aaaaaaaaaand

pubg has crashed :suicide:

I can't put my finger on it but the game feels like a console game now, naturally. New looking map tho:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/866243532108713447/DEE46AC82878A6359D3741D58E30B7AF904F1B29/

edit: finally saw a super desync'd kill cam, but the game is pretty unplayable now with everyone slowing the servers to a halt

Tweak fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 22, 2017

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

VulgarandStupid posted:

1911 confirmed good.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IcyBloodyPhonePeteZarollTie

I have no idea how they're gonna balance the DP28, is it going to be like a Tommy Gun-esque AK47 with no optics but sometimes insane ammo capacity? The AUG will probably just be an integral silencer, 5.56 version of the Groza.

AKM but with a bipod and larger mag would be my guess for the DP

I don't get the suppressor comment though, that Steyr has a regular though ugly as sin muzzle break

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Paingod556 posted:

AKM but with a bipod and larger mag would be my guess for the DP

I don't get the suppressor comment though, that Steyr has a regular though ugly as sin muzzle break

I just grabbed one in test server, only takes optics and I only had a red dot so I can’t tell you more than that. It’s full auto only and 47 rounds.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the kill cam I assume is akin to recreating what happened as far as the server knew, possibly meshed with the information your client had. One of the kill cams at least looked as desync'd as it did playing it live, while another time it kept literally rewinding to try again when the kill cam had me hitting trees I drove right past in game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Only the M16 can't take the 8x, the SCAR and presumably the M4 still can. The DP28 sways and kicks like crazy, it's even less controllable than the AK when not bipoded and can take up to a 4X.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The DP-28 looks cool and I fuckin murdered some guy with it so I'm happy

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Red Red Blue posted:

The DP-28 looks cool and I fuckin murdered some guy with it so I'm happy

It seems to do less than the AK, by just a hair. Probably going to end up as a bottom of the barrel looting phase weapon unless they find a way to make bipods actually useful. That is, of course, if vaulting doesn't elevate the whole bipod game to the next level.

Oh well. Wasn't able to get my hands on an AUG before the servers went down tonight though.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 22, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Why would they restrict the 8x from the M16 but not any of the other AR's? The 15x make sense as sniper only but why throw shade only on the M16? Sucks IMO.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Because the meta currently calls the m16 a sniper rifle, and it looks like bluehole doesn't want that.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I think the M16 is the only one whose rails or w/e dont lend itself to actually physically mounting the 15x? Its got the smaller top hump yea??

If we're going to bring the Bizon into this, then we must also include the Klobb in a contest to introduce the weakest gun that has the most bullets

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Give me a god drat desert eagle that has the gameplay feel of the counter-strike deag.

Also give me an mp5.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I guess the idea is to further distinguish the M16 from the Mini 14.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 22, 2017

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Oh, there's an EU test server now. Nice! Shame it's laggy as gently caress. I really shouldn't have the test client installed on a non-SSD HD, I guess that could be my problem.

Edit: Oh yeah, killcam crashes the client every time. Also, quittting the game from title menu does, sometimes?

vvv Yeah, new sounds this update I believe.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 22, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

new red zone sound made me poo poo my pants, not sure if that was added this update or not

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Goon world tour of the servers last night as wildly successful with 3 dinners a row. Shout out to whoever's idea that was. The difference in skill level between NA and world is stark. My KDR is literally 10x higher on asia.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

willroc7 posted:

Goon world tour of the servers last night as wildly successful with 3 dinners a row. Shout out to whoever's idea that was. The difference in skill level between NA and world is stark. My KDR is literally 10x higher on asia.

I got to do one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TyMZ5dwuw

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If we're going to bring the Bizon into this, then we must also include the Klobb in a contest to introduce the weakest gun that has the most bullets

Let me introduce you to a little-known firearm called the American-180. :911:

Originally designed in the 1960s as a potential riot control weapon, the American-180 is distinguished by its pan magazine (like the DP-27) that holds 180 .22LR bullets. Modern magazines can get the total capacity to over 250 rounds.

There were experiments for using a .22 Magnum version of the weapon in Vietnam as a suppressing tool; though not particularly powerful, the American-180 could hose an area of the jungle while other elements moved to cover, and was a heck of a lot lighter than an M60 and its ammunition.

There's also the Slovenian MGV-176, which is a similar gun that's a little more visually distinctive:

• Locked thread