Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie O'Connor posted:

In the short term, however, it's the non-essential players on the roster who should be most concerned. Alt apparently packed up his bag at the conclusion of the game and did not appear to be accompanying the team to Brooklyn for Wednesday's game, which implies that either MacDonald will be ready to go or that the Flyers will be making a call-up, possibly of Samuel Morin. Forwards like Mike Vecchione and Danick Martel — both of whom are excelling in the AHL this season — also are candidates for coming promotions. I've advocated for fresh faces on the Philadelphia roster for quite a while now, and I'll hold to that. The Flyers need to stop waiting for someone to get hurt in order to give these prospects a look, because they certainly appear ready for at least an audition, and the players at the bottom of the current Philadelphia roster are not making strong cases for playing time anyway.

fukkn preach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

yellowcar posted:

How to eat a banana

( How to eat a banana )
                              O
                                o

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Martytoof posted:

( How to eat a banana )
                              O
                                o

isbergevinfiredyet.com

stab fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 22, 2017

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Koopa Kid posted:

Is this Alexander Radulov biting into an unpeeled banana?

https://twitter.com/chancem/status/933166189546737664?s=17

Maybe he's a big Griffin McElroy fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1QVp55ehvs

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

yellowcar posted:

NHL N/V: How to eat a banana

How to eat a bananna, starring Taylor Hall

https://twitter.com/ryanwhitney6/status/120533430764191744?lang=en

e:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Someone save that so we can laugh at it in 15 years when Eberle is some hapless team's GM

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Malkin is the first major Pen to fall this year. It looks like they're gonna try Guentzel as the 2c so at least we're not gonna be playing Sheahan 20+ minutes tonight.

Get us a 3C, JR!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

Any new coach is going to continue playing Orpik big minutes. No brand new coach is going to introduce himself to the team by demoting or scratching a super popular veteran.

Obvious solution is to fire Trotz and promote Orpick to coach

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Good thing Edmonton traded away these dumbos.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Unless malkin is just sitting out a game or two because he's dog tired, why is Sprong not called up yet

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/status/933309358817103873

corn on the cop posted:

how does edmonton media have by far the worst writers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sure that surgeon killed a bunch of people because he's grossly unqualified for his job, but dammit he acts like he cares when it happens and that's good enough for me!

Also:
https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/status/933313494321123328

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You know for some reason I've been watching Canucks games lately and they're a pretty competent team. They're organized defensively and crisp as hell breaking out. Travis Green appears to be a good coach. It's too bad they didn't take Keller instead of Juolevi he'd be a menace with Boeser.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Read and Mark Alt go to the Phantoms. Sam Morin and Danick Martel have been called up to replace them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Unless malkin is just sitting out a game or two because he's dog tired, why is Sprong not called up yet

It's Josh Archibald time baby

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

You know for some reason I've been watching Canucks games lately and they're a pretty competent team. They're organized defensively and crisp as hell breaking out. Travis Green appears to be a good coach. It's too bad they didn't take Keller instead of Juolevi he'd be a menace with Boeser.

They're pretty mercurial. Games like last night they looked incredibly competent and like the playoffs weren't totally out of the question. Then again, they've had a lot of no show stinkers this year where they just waddle around hacking at pucks and taking weird penalties. They're your classic zero expectation team right now, and they're playing above their heads.

The new top line of Baertsch-Horvat-Boeser is a treat (mostly because Boeser is as pure and clinical a goal scorer you'll see), but not one I'd hang my hat on being capable of carrying the team very far. The offence has been entirely non-existent beyond those three, and you have to imagine they'll slump at some point and then the wheels will come off.

On the back end things have been surprisingly decent. Tanev has emerged as a true #1 in that he's essentially flawless defensively and has improved at moving the puck up ice. Hutton has been his perfect partner, and the two of them are a fantastic shutdown duo. Green has focused on skating defence and quick transitions, and Del Zotto and Pouliot have really excelled at that. Edler is struggling a bit, but that's not his game. Gudbranson has been straight hot garbage.

Goaltending has been as good as you could ask for.

Overall they're okay, but pretty drat mediocre. An injury to anyone on the top line and they're cooked. They've been counting on two of three players from it being on a hot streak to keep them afloat at any given time (currently Boeser and Baertschi) and that won't last. The Sedins have fallen a long way, and no one else on the team is really entering attacking the zone let alone scoring. It's kinda sad. They're just a hell of a lot more organized and entertaining that whatever it was that Willie called a system and that's helped a lot. Team Canada is gonna be dreadful to watch.

And yeah Keller would've been great, but Tkachuk was the consensus choice at the time. Man I really wish we'd taken him. Just another example of why you don't draft for need. Too much changes in the 2-3 years before they're NHL regulars. It's such a simple concept but teams screw it up constantly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To Vancouver's credit they were fantastic in stifling Philadelphia through the neutral zone all night.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

To Vancouver's credit they were fantastic in stifling Philadelphia through the neutral zone all night.

They play wide open until they take a lead and then trap harder than I've seen any team since the 03 Wild. It's great to watch for the first period or so, then dull as hell after that. Every breakout against them last year started with the Flyers trying to stick handle through 5 defenders standing within 6 feet of their blueline. It must've been infuriating as hell to play against.

e: It is nice to see them play the same style every night rather than playing "let's guess what the opposition is going to do and then crappily match that" roulette. They beat the Kings by doing what they were good at rather than trying to PLAY TOUGH because apparently there's no other way to stop LA.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 22, 2017

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

do we fire Hakstol now

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Yeah it's shocking how good Pouliot looks. Between him, Del Zotto, and Baertschi, Benning is having a good little run. Run of play wise I thought they looked better than the Devils tbh (who are admittedly getting lucky as hell and riding Schneider a lot of the time). They gave St. Louis a hell of a game, actually I thought they were the better team for most of it.

They're probably still a few players away from being a consistent playoff contender but man they're way better than expected. They kind of have the same issue as the Devils actually -- your Virtanen/Juolevi being our Zacha/McLeod. We'll see how much those picks end up dooming them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah it's shocking how good Pouliot looks.

He's on a hot streak but he was completely invisible bordering on poor until ten days ago.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

I don’t know why the Sabres don’t always wear the royal blue. That’s a drat nice jersey.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Sabres, Capitals, and Flames all have blatantly obvious better jersey options that remain unused for god knows what reasons

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/933355960227258368

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shot blockers, wear 'em you dorks.

Unless he was wearing them, in which case, :stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Sabres, Capitals, and Flames all have blatantly obvious better jersey options that remain unused for god knows what reasons

Here's why: :homebrew:

(Or, break them out for special engagements and sell at a premium)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

goddamn it.

Well, MoJo gets back soon, but drat.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I heard that the Flyers were a garbage poo poo dumpster fire last night and Hakstol should be fired?

I haven't been watching that closely the last half dozen games because frankly the Sixers have been way more entertaining and a comparatively better team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WHO'S GOING TO GET FIRED FIRST, PLACE YOUR BETS

• Barry Trotz - A man so stuck in his ways that he's throwing away what years of good hockey Ovie has left.
  • AV - Ask RAS as to why. They'll give you a nice, long laundry list.
  • Marc Bergevan - Scoring more own goals in the front office than his time in the NHL
  • Chirelli - Oilers are falling apart despite McJesus's best efforts, and cap hell is rapidly approaching
  • Hakstol - Former college coach now trying to find his footing in the NHL, but apparently not that well.
  • Ken Holland - GRINDERS WITH FULL NTCs :byodood:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ThinkTank posted:

The new top line of Baertsch-Horvat-Boeser is a treat (mostly because Boeser is as pure and clinical a goal scorer you'll see), but not one I'd hang my hat on being capable of carrying the team very far. The offence has been entirely non-existent beyond those three, and you have to imagine they'll slump at some point and then the wheels will come off.

Boeser is such a joy to watch. Brings some serious hope for the future. If both Lind and Pettersson turn out we'll be looking a lot better on offense in a couple years

I've wanted to see more from Horvat, but it's early days so maybe he'll turn it up

While I really didn't like the Juolevi pick, if he turns out too in a year or so it'll be a good thing to have a top-level d-man coming into the system

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Somehow I forgot Benning but CAS has been quiet about his head this season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hak won't be a midseason firing. The system is a lot better this year, and the blue line is a mess of injuries, rookie mistakes, and suspensions right now. Firing Hak wouldn't solve any of the current issues.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Can't wait to see all those GMs switch chairs to the left.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

iospace posted:

WHO'S GOING TO GET FIRED FIRST, PLACE YOUR BETS

• Barry Trotz - A man so stuck in his ways that he's throwing away what years of good hockey Ovie has left.
  • AV - Ask RAS as to why. They'll give you a nice, long laundry list.
  • Marc Bergevan - Scoring more own goals in the front office than his time in the NHL
  • Chirelli - Oilers are falling apart despite McJesus's best efforts, and cap hell is rapidly approaching
  • Hakstol - Former college coach now trying to find his footing in the NHL, but apparently not that well.
  • Ken Holland - GRINDERS WITH FULL NTCs :byodood:

IMO Chiarelli gets a coach first, so not him. Not hakstol either, although I don't really follow the Flyers, so maybe there's a lot of negative sentiment among the fanbase (and not just FAS) towards him? My money is on Bergevin (warranted) or AV (gonna be funny when he's replaced by a worse coach)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Somehow I forgot Benning but CAS has been quiet about his head this season.

he somehow had a really good trade deadline last season, picked well at the draft, and hasn't done anything extremely boneheaded yet this season - if he trades Gudbranson I'll be somewhat mollified. If he somehow gets something for the Sedins I'll get a "Jim Benning Was Right" avatar :toxx:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
AV isn't going anywhere unless the Rangers go back into the toilet. They're like 7-3 in their last 10 and close to a playoff spot again. Trotz isn't going anywhere unless Washington falls out of the race. He might get fired after yet another playoff first or second round exit though. I'd call Hakstol a maybe but the Flyers just aren't that good so I'm not sure there's expectations with their management for them to do that much better yet. Holland is about as untouchable as Rutherford which is to say the job is his until he no longer wants it. Chiarelli isn't going anywhere yet.

I'd say Bergevin is the most likely to go on that list. But then they'll immediately poo poo all over their fanbase again by hiring Patrick Roy or something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ginette Reno posted:

AV isn't going anywhere unless the Rangers go back into the toilet. They're like 7-3 in their last 10 and close to a playoff spot again. Trotz isn't going anywhere unless Washington falls out of the race. He might get fired after yet another playoff first or second round exit though. I'd call Hakstol a maybe but the Flyers just aren't that good so I'm not sure there's expectations with their management for them to do that much better yet. Holland is about as untouchable as Rutherford which is to say the job is his until he no longer wants it. Chiarelli isn't going anywhere yet.

I'd say Bergevin is the most likely to go on that list. But then they'll immediately poo poo all over their fanbase again by hiring Patrick Roy or something.

Roy returns, pulls a Holland by giving mediocre players full-NTCs, then ollies out with both middle fingers in the air.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If Carey is smart he's just kind of milking his injury and sitting home playing nintendo or something.

Who wants to come back to this?

edit: Also, fire this dumb GM bumblefuck: http://www.tsn.ca/radulov-i-wanted-to-stay-with-canadiens-1.922677

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

iospace posted:

Here's why: :homebrew:

(Or, break them out for special engagements and sell at a premium)

They are leaving money on the table by barely using or even outright abandoning popular retro looks, even aside from the second temporary hold on alternate jerseys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I buy the chatter that the Oilers should be good enough to not worry about firing anyone soon. Their underlying numbers are not that gloomy. Some sort of a trade for a goalie might be a decent plan, though.

• Locked thread